z

Young Writers Society


12+

The Wayfaring-Chapter 2: A Dark Knight Arisen (revised)

by Sillia


Chapter 2: A Dark Knight Arisen

Learning to trust is one of life's most difficult tasks.Isaac Watts

Mist shrouded everything around them. His eyes darted around, searching for the dragon, searching for the newcomers and his family. A dark shape loomed in from of him, coming closer and closer with each passing second. A terrified cry jumped from his throat and he darted to the side, trying to escape what he was sure was the dragon. Too late, Griffin saw the swinging spike-tail coming straight for him. He stood stock, still, his eyes wide and fearful.

No!” a voice nearby yelled.

Just then Griffin was thrown to the ground, away from danger. He rolled over on his back, looking up to see a pale-skinned young man standing in front of him, his dark blond hair falling around his shoulders and his eyes screaming with relief.

You saved me.” Griffin’s voice was small and trembling.

The young man smiled, “I guess I did.”

He stepped forward to help Griffin up, but just then the dragon’s tail swung again. This time though, it struck its target.

He awoke with a start, bolting upright in his bed. Panting, he looked down to where his dark gray shirt clung to his body, slick with sweat. He put his head in his hands, a muffled sob jumping into his throat. He tried to stop the tears that jumped to his eyes, but nothing worked. His shoulders shook, his bright red hair falling around his face. A small whimper startled him out of his grief, and he looked over the edge of his cot, sniffling and wiping his eyes. A young dog lay beside the bed, looking up at him with big brown eyes. Her nose was white, the rest of her body black as the night. He leaned down and grabbed the dog gently under her forelegs, hauling her up on the bed and stroking her head with a shaking hand.

“It’s alright Mystic. I’m okay.” He forced a smile.

The she-dog wagged her tail, though she flattened her ears to her head. A crash came from beyond the door to their room and her head bolted up, growling softly. Griffin pushed her away gently, throwing back his covers and scrambling from his bed. He ran lightly across the worn spruce wood flooring, wrenching open the door and racing down the hall. Mystic ran beside him, crouched low to the ground. They ran down the stairs at the end of the hall, coming to an abrupt stop in the door way of another room. Beyond lay what looked like a cluttered dining room. Books towered on multiple tables, papers scattered over any free space. The walls were covered with black and white photos, some of Griffin and Mystic, others portraying a lady with wild curly hair. The front door had been thrown open and in the doorway stood a tall man, his face shadowed. Griffin leaped forward and grabbed the leather collar around Mystic’s neck as she lunged forward, snarling. He reached for a dagger that lay hiding beneath a book, his eyes fixed on the stranger.

“Who are you?” Griffin’s voice shook with a mixture of fear and anger. “What have you done with my aunt?”

“The Soothsayer has been summoned by the High King.” Was all he said, walking forward, his eyed fixed on the dog. “She ignored her summons and I am here to bring her to him.”

He stepped into the light and Griffin saw his face for the first time. He had short gray hair and deep, sunken blue eyes. His skin was aged and gray, clinging to his frame. He wore dark a tunic made from dark gray chain mail and a jet black cloak that was fastened around his neck. Griffin pulled the dagger, stepping backwards and dragging Mystic with him.

“Let me talk to her.” he said.

“She’s already gone.”

Griffin narrowed his brilliant green eyes, stepping backwards onto the first step of the stairs. “Then get out of my house.”

“We’ve been instructed to take care of you.” The man said a wicked glint in his eyes. “Can’t have a young boy and his dog go hungry now, can we?”

Mystic struggled against Griffin’s hold. “We’ll be fine. We’re not infants.”

“We can’t have you running about and telling people we left you here, all by yourself. That would get someone into very big trouble young man.” Griffin saw the stranger’s hand reaching slowly for the sword that hung at his hip.

He released Mystic’s collar and she dashed forward, digging her teeth deep into his leg. The man howled with pain and kicked the dog into a wall, where she lay, stunned. Griffin gasped with fear as he raised his weapon, aiming to strike Mystic down. Griffin dashed forward, digging his dagger into a chink in the chain mail. He pulled his weapon free quickly and raced back up the stairs.

“Mystic out!” he called down to his dog.

She growled, but darted between the man’s legs, racing for the door. The man cursed, swinging at her and lumbering up the stairs after Griffin. Griffin slammed his door shut, shoving an oak wood desk in front of it. Dashing around his room, he grabbed a shoulder bag, throwing another dagger into it, as well as a worn leather weapons belt. He grabbed a leather tunic and threw it on, shoving on his boots as the man shoved at his door. Dashing around his wardrobe, he shoved it in front of the door, pulling the desk away. His fingers dived into the drawers, pulling out a worn looking sheet of paper and shoving it into his bag. The wardrobe heaved forward, bringing with it half of the man as he tried to force himself into the room. He grabbed a long leather cord that sat on top of his wardrobe, racing towards the window and wrenching a willow long bow from its place on the wall, throwing the quiver full of arrows over his shoulder, slinging the bow across his back. He threw his shoulder against the window, shoving it open.

A long rope lay coiled at the edge of the rooftop; it was something that he used to sneak out of the house late at night. He tied it off quickly to a hook at the edge of his window, making it loose enough so he could pull it down, but not so loose that it would drop him. He swung his leg over the edge of the roof, sliding down a little too quickly. He was rewarded by a burning pain in the center of his palms, forcing him to cry out a little with pain. Yanking the rope hard, it came down hard and fast, smacking him across the face. He stumbled backwards and fell, tripping over his own feet. Griffin rubbed his face where the rope had hit it, scrambling to his feet and shoving it into his back. He looked up as the man yelled down at him, backing away slowly. He heard a bark from Mystic and turned around, running towards an old wooden building. He looked over his shoulder as he dashed past the front door, seeing the man racing out after him. 

Gasping, he threw open a low wood gate that enclosed the building, leaving it open and dashing towards the large wood doors in front of him. Mystic was beside him now, her black body low to the ground. Her ears were flat to her head as they barreled their way into the old barn. Griffin quickly closed the door behind them, thinking he should have a few minutes. He left Mystic on guard duty at the entrance and headed to the first stall. Inside was a dark brown Budenny horse, rearing and whining with Mystic’s barking. The steed had two white socks on its rear hoofs, and a blaze down its nose. Its mane and tail were a silky black, and its coat shimmering with dust. Griffin grabbed a bridle and threw the door open, throwing his hands in front of him to calm the horse.

“Whoa, easy boy; it’s just me.” The horse stomped his hooves against the earth, pawing at the ground, rigid with fear. He stroked his nose gently, murmuring softly to it as he threw the rope bridle over his nose. “That’s a good boy, Spirit.” He rested his head against the horses’ nose softly for a few moments.

He then dashed to the back of the stall, grabbing a lead and shoving it into his crowding pack. Cursing silently to himself, he dove into a hay pile and pulling out a long silver sword. The sheath had an intricate, spiraling design, and had an emerald in the center of it. Turning back to Spirit, he hastily threw a black bridle over his head, pushing the bit ungraciously into his mouth. He heard Mystic whine and looked down to see the dog sitting on the floor, looking up at him with painful eyes. His plan had been for Mystic to follow behind him, but thinking about it, it was improbable that the young dog could keep up with a horse. Spirit snorted, pawing at the ground some more. 

Griffin stroked Spirit's nose. "Its alright boy. We'll get out of here." he murmured. 

Just then Mystic began to growl, crouching low to the ground and growling the door. Cursing, he grabbed his dog around the middle, throwing her ungraciously onto the horse. Mystic yelped with surprise trying to stand on the horse. Griffin pushed her down, earning himself a glare.

Down Mystic.” He snapped.

The doors to the barn sprung open, and in marched the man, accompanied by two companions. Griffin leapt onto Spirit's back, riding his horse out the stables and into the center of the aisle, facing them. He drew his bow, arming himself with an arrow.

“Back off and let us through. Or Mystic will be happy to add another bite to you collection.” His voice shook.

The others looked to the man with slight fear and alarm, but the man laughed, “Do that and you’ll have to leave her behind. I’m guessing you won’t do that. Just put the bow down boy, and come with us.” 

“Sir Gillion, he’s no more than sixteen. Can’t we just let him go?” the voice was shaky.

Looking closer, Griffin could see that beneath the chain mail and cloak, the man’s- Sir Gillion’s- companions were no older than himself.

Gillion turned and struck the first boy across the face, throwing back the hood of his clock and revealing his face. The boy stumbled back, falling to the ground. “Silence Jason. You know why we can’t! He’s a part of the prophecy. His Lordship wants them all.”

“If he wants them so bad why doesn’t he get them himself!?” Jason snapped.

“Lord Drake doesn’t have the time to play round-up.” The second boy sneered.

“That’s right Miles.” Gillion nodded with approval. He turned back to Griffin. “Now, you have two options. You can come peacefully; or by force. You chose.”

Griffin eyed Jason, seeing the regret in the boys’ eyes. He looked over at their work horse, River. They would probably kill the mare if he left her here. He leaned down and whispered softly into Mystic’s ear.

“Mystic, lead Spirit away.”

Mystic’s ear’s shot up and she scrambled down from the stallion, growling at the men. Jason trembled ever so slightly, eyeing the dog. Griffin slid from the horses’ back, patting Spirit’s side.

“Follow Mystic.” He said softly.

Spirit whined softly, nudging him and trotting forward, towards the open doors. Mystic circled the horse, growling at the men as they passed by. Miles made a lunge for the horses’ bridle, and Mystic snarled with fury, leaping forward and clamping her jaw down onto his arm. He howled with pain and jerked back, aiming to smack the dog, but Mystic had already leapt away, dashing into a run with Spirit on his heels. He eyed River, knowing the horse was already bridled and saddled. They always kept River to run at a moment’s notice; she was their escape horse. Griffin knew if he’d taken River they’d be long gone by now, but he couldn't stand the thought of leaving his stallion behind.

“That’s it boy, now come here.” Gillion said a sickening smile on his face.

Jason desperately shook his head, his shaggy black hair falling around his shoulders. He scrambled to his feet and drew his sword, stepping in between Griffin and Gillion.

“No. I won’t let you kill anyone else for the Black Court. Miles, come on; we’re leaving.”

Miles walked forward, throwing back his hood. “Sorry to disappoint you brother. I’m not going anywhere. My place is here with Gillion. If you’re going to defend that piece of scum then I’ll rope you in with his lot.” Anger glittered in his deep blue eyes.

Jason sucked in his breath, “Miles…”

Griffin was slowly inching his way to River’s stall, using the distraction but also feeling a small pang for Jason. Jason spoke to him next, holding his weapon expertly and facing his brother with a fire in his eyes.

“Go. You do not deserve to die tonight. You’re destiny lies elsewhere, far from here.”

The sun shone through the open oak doors, casting a golden light upon Jason. Strangely though, the young man still seemed to be cast in shadows, his dark hair growing darker with the light. Miles gasped, taking a step back from his brother.

“G-g- Gillion! It’s him! He’s a part of the prophecy!” he shuddered over his words, his eyes fearful and wide.

Jason froze, his dark eyes narrowing. “Shut your trap Miles. Just because I’m not letting you kill him doesn’t mean I’m a part of the prophecy.” Griffin opened the latch and inched his way slowly into the stall, though he kept his eyes fixed on Gillion.

A growl sprang up in Gillion’s throat. “No Jason, he’s right. I’ve had my suspicions for a while. You’ve always tried to be the hero. Savin’ anyone who’s “innocent”. It’s mentioned in the first part of that blasted prophecy. ‘A dark knight arisen.’”

Jason’s voice shook, “You’re insane. Both of you. Now back off. Let us leave.”

“Us?” Gillion sneered, stepping forward, “Why are you suddenly going with him?”

Jason snapped, “If you think I’m a part of the prophecy you’ll kill me the first chance I got. I think I’ll take my chances with red-head over there.”

Gillion looked up to see Griffin mounting River, and cursed, leaping forward and pushing Jason aide. Griffin drew his bow in a flash, shooting the man in the shoulder. He howled and sank to the ground. Griffin rode the horse out of the stall, stopping beside Jason, keeping his bow aimed between Miles and Gillion.

“Get on.”

“Seriously?” Jason sounded bemused.

“Seriously. Unless you’d rather I leave you here.” He added.

A small smile tugged at the corner of Jason’s mouth. Griffin extended a hand to help him up and he took it, swinging himself onto the steed. He pulled his sword and aimed it at his brother.

“If we meet again Miles, I promise not to kill you.”

Miles trembled and Gillion keeled on the floor, clutching his bleeding shoulder. Griffin dug his heels into River and the mare jumped forward, racing from the barn. He bent low over River’s neck, digging his hands into the gray mare’s white mane. He rode her hard towards a tree line that rose just ahead of them.

“Watch out!” Jason yelled in his ear above the wind, pointing to the trees. “There are archers over there! Gillion placed them there just in case!”

Griffin heard a howl in the distance and gasped with fear, “Mystic!” he cried. “I sent them that way!”

Jason cursed softly and pulled free his sword again. As they neared where the arches lay in wait, Griffin could see the small form of his dog, leaping at men that lay in the brush. One of them held a rearing Spirit, trying to calm the horse unsuccessfully. Mystic leapt at Spirit’s captor, digging her teeth into his calf. The archer release Spirit and the horse came charging towards them, hearing his master’s voice.

“Spirit follow!” Griffin yelled as they charged past the brown stallion.

The horse reared and turned around, racing after River. “Smart horse!” Jason yelled.

“I’ve trained them hard.”

Soon enough they were on top of the archers. Griffin reared in River and jumped from the mare’s back, charging at the archer, Jason at his side. Jason knocked the man down, slashing his leg to cripple him, but not to kill. He swung himself back onto River, steadying the horse as she trotted forward nervously. Griffin grabbed Mystic as she ran to him, throwing her once again over Spirit’s back. He leapt into the saddle and rode into the trees, motioning for Jason to follow.

“No! Not that way!” Jason screamed at him, charging River forward. 

Griffin looked over his shoulder at the boy, confusion lighting his eyes. "They won't come this far into the woods! Its alright! I know my way around here!" 

He rode past a dense patch of woodland, and out leaped yet another archer, her bow aimed expertly at him. His eyes wend wide and he ducked low over Spirit, shielding Mystic’s body with his own. He was nearly out of range when He heard Jason yell, and felt a sharp, piercing pain in his lower back. He dug his hands into his stallion’s mane, trying hard to ignore the pain. His head began to spin and he heard Mystic yelp with alarm; and he was plunged into darkness.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
179 Reviews


Points: 15489
Reviews: 179

Donate
Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:50 pm
r4p17 wrote a review...



Knight r4 here for another review. As you can see I am back to tackle another one of your works! I was very intrigued by this story so I decided I should read more of it.

He dived into the drawers, pulling out a worn looking sheet of paper and shoving it into his bag.
I think that it would sound better to say that his fingers dived into the drawers.

He swung his leg over the edge of the roof, sliding down a little too quickly. He was rewarded by a burning pain in the center of his palms, forcing him to cry out a little with pain. Yanking the rope hard, it came down hard and fast, smacking him across the face. He stumbled backwards and fell, tripping over his own feet.
Rather clumsy are we? Hehe. But it is good you brought that out because people can be a little too hasty when they are trying to get away. :)

Its mane and tail was a silky black, and its coat shimmering with dust.
I am not quite sure how dust would make its coat shimmer but it somehow seems to fit. You also need to change "was" to "were" to have proper subject verb agreement.

Cursing silently to himself, he threw a saddle of the stallion’s back, fasting it with shaking hands.
Um, I don't think I would worry about saddling a horse when an angry assassin is trying to kill my dog! I'd just get out of there as soon as I could!

“Back off and let us through. Or I’ll sick my dog on you.” His voice shook.
Let my dog sick you? Hehehe. I am not sure what you meant by that. I think you need to reword the second sentence. It is just a bland statement.

Griffin opened the latch to the stall and inched his way slowly into the stall, though he kept his eyes fixed on Gillion.
You used the word stall twice which sounds too repetetivd.

“I’ve trained them hard.” Was all Griffin said.
Your pronoun usage here is a little weak. It should be him or it. I know this is dialogue but I still...

“No! Not that way!” Jason screamed at him, charging River forward. His words were whipped away by a sudden gust of wind, and Griffin did not hear him.
Wouldn't Griffin be able to hear him even with a gust of wind since Jason was right behind him!

Overall aside from a few places that I thought were slightly unrealistic, I thought that this was a pretty good chapter with lots of action and dialogue. If you change a few things up it might be a little more plausible. I still liked it though! Happy writing!!! :)




Sillia says...


Alright i will work on those parts! Thanks for your review!



User avatar
200 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 200

Donate
Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:59 pm
EmeraldEyes wrote a review...



Ha ha.
The title of this work reminded me of Batman! Did you take it from that? XD

“Back off and let us through. Or I’ll sick my dog on you.” His voice shook.

The others looked to the man with slight fear, but the man laughed, “Do that and you’ll have to leave her behind. I’m guessing you won’t do that. Just put the bow down boy, and come with us.”


This line made me lol, maybe it shouldn't have, but it was very funny. The general feel I got for this piece was quite upbeat, it was long but not too long, I like the narration and it follows on well from the first part. :)

You've got some good description of the action going on in there as well... impressed. :D

A small smile tugged at the corner of Jason’s mouth. Griffin extended a hand to help him up and he took it, swinging himself onto the steed. He pulled his sword and aimed it at his brother.


That's the sort of thing I mean.

Just keep writing more :)




Sillia says...


Thanks :) And no i didn't take it from batman xD although i was thinking that as i wrote it xD chapter 3 is soon to come! :)




Goos are anarchists.
— WeepingWisteria