Nothing Will Stop Me

by FrostArmor

Verse 1: 

I wake up, I look around my room 

I sit down and think about the mistakes 

That I made the other day. 

My past keeps on bringing back 

The regrets and the things 

That I wish would just erase. 

Pre - Chorus: 

But time continues to go 

No matter the regrets that you hold 

So I'm not going let them stop me 

From enjoying life how it's meant to be 

Chorus: 

So I'm going to wake up be joyous, have a good time 

Party until the break of light.  

Nothings going to stop me from 

Living my life like it's the only one(2x) 

Verse 2: 

I want to succeed in this life, 

But my failures are attacking me

And they're winning the fight. 

So I'm going to fight a little harder,

And keep fighting a little longer 

Until I get stronger.    

Pre - Chorus:

But time continues to go

No matter the regrets that you hold

So I'm not going let them stop me

From enjoying life how it's meant to be

Chorus:

Party until the break of light.

Nothings going to stop me from

Bridge: 

Life is a journey 

And the battles can be long.

There are many twists and turns 

But just keep going strong.

You only have one life 

So live it how you like .

BrumalHunter wrote a review...

Fiery Salutations

I am surprised that there are so few lyrics on YWS! Yours are literally one of the few, so I decided to review it.

I wake up, I look around my room

I sit down and think about the mistakes

That I made the other day.

I understand that these three lines would be too long were they to be added together, but because they flow into each other so much, it is quite difficult to determine how they would sound. You have to remember, these are lyrics - therefore it is meant to be sung. Obviously you know this, but if we are lost and cannot figure out how it is supposed to sound, how can we possibly review them?

My past keeps on bringing back

The regrets and the things

That I wish would just erase.

The same things which I had mentioned during my previous quote apply here as well. Perhaps if you indicated how it is to be sung and mentioned it in brackets, italics, anything like that, then we could better understand the song.

Pre - Chorus:

But time continues to go

No matter the regrets that you hold

So I'm not going let them stop me

From enjoying life how it's meant to be

I like that you have an idea of a "Pre-chorus", but as far as I know, the chorus never changes, but the pre-chorus does (only near the climax, but you understand what I mean). Also, the dinamics would be really important here, but they are absent, so the feeling that would have been communicated is absent as well. It could, for example, begin slowly and softly, but then accelerate and swell into a crescendo. At least, that is what I am imagining, but what you had intended could differ completely.

I like your chorus, and I definitely think it must be very cheerful, but what does that times two mean? Is only the last line repeated, or should the entire chorus be repeated?

Your second verse is nice as well, but what really stands out for me is your bridge. The words are excellent and I can hear them already (I might not hear them correctly but anyway...), though I do not understand why you called it a "bridge" if there is nothing that follows it. Is the chorus repeated, is there another verse... what comes next?

In conclusion, I think the lyrics are great, but they cannot be fully enjoyed if you do not indicate what the dynamics are. Your lyrics have great potential, but you need to do something about those major issues.

This review was brought to you
by Team Rocket.

megsug wrote a review...

Hey Frost~

This is a nice song. I like the uplifting message.

So I'm not going let them stop me

Eep. This doesn't make sense. I think you're missing 'to' between going and let. To keep the syllable count the same, I would make going gonna.

Sometimes you start talking to the reader about their regrets and their life but other times you talk about your regrets and your life. I think you need to choose one and stick with it. An example is:
No matter the regrets that you hold

So I'm not going let them stop me

Either talk about your regrets or talk about how the audience won't let the regrets stop them.

I also feel like this message is pretty cliched. I mean, turn on the radio and half the time you're going to get this message. You add nothing new to what's already out there. It doesn't have a pop or sparkle that makes me go "Ooh, I like it." I agree with Aley that imagery could help you make this more unique, but using any figurative language could do the same, I think. You should just experiment a little more.

I think this is a great foundation for something with good potential. I'll be looking forward to seeing another draft.

See ya,
Megs~

erilea wrote a review...

Hey, FrostArmor! Wisegirl22 here to review.

Here, I think the rhyme scheme is a bit weird.

"I want to succeed in this life,

But my failures are attacking me

And they're winning the fight."

And here, I think you need a comma.

"So I'm going to wake up be joyous,"

That's all. I hope you are having a wonderful time! I am on Team Plasma!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:32 am
Aley wrote a review...

Hello! Aley here.

I think that your style of song is something between pop and rock? Well, welcome to YWS!

To start out I'll show you the typical style of a YWS review.

Top Bun:

I think you have a strong beat going on in here. I didn't find much going wrong with the syncopation of the words, or the ability to stop/draw out at the end of the lines which was nice. You also seem to have a really good grasp of the structure of a strong. I was happy to see the bridge and the chorus' although I'd like to see a bit more of an ending on this.

Lettuces:

That being said, I think that you do have a couple errors with your syncapation. There were two times that my head tripped up when I was reading this, and I'll just point them out so you can see if there's something going on with the beat yourself, or if it was just because I had the wrong tune in my head.

[Tomato: ]
The first one was "No matter the regrets that you hold" which is kind of disturbing because it's in the chorus. I expected "on" after "hold" mentally for the beat I had to continue, but it wasn't there.

The second one was "Nothings going to stop me from" because I wasn't expecting you to stop so suddenly at the end of the line on such a weak word. I'd suggest stopping the line on "me" because "from" is the beginning of a prepositional phrase that continues on in the next line. Visually, it would be easier if you had from down a line.

Meat:

I think that the majority of the song seems to be rather verbal instead of visual. We don't have the image of a shooting star, or a wall caving in. We don't even really get much of an image of the journey, so I feel like this song would need a lot of visual support from a music video if it was going to be good, which means it's not radio friendly, which sort of marks it down a bit. If you wanted to, I'd suggest you expand on an image that you want us to take away from this song that might show up again and again in our lives, like a stop sign, or a green light, or even road-kill. Something that we can capture in the moment, and bring with us out of the moment.

Also the amount of repeition in this song is kind of annoying. I don't mean the (x2) those are perfectly fine, but the use of "time" and "life" just gets pestering because we've already gotten the message at the start, and yet the words keep getting recycled. I'd suggest up-scaling them a bit if you do try to add in more imagery.

Of course, I often shred songs on the radio too, so you don't have to take my words for salt, or even sand. You can completely ignore me because what I think is eh, poor quality, does sell somehow.

Bottom Bun:

Overall I think that your song has some good promise. With some more visual images that we can hold onto, and a couple edits to the choruses visually, I think it would make a pretty good song. There's really not that much that you'd need to change. But hey, they always say it's all in the marketing.

Aley

This review courtesy of

FrostArmor says...

Thank you very much for the great review!

EmeraldEyes wrote a review...

Hello.
So you have a very emotional title here.
I assume from the layout of this that it's a song? It looks like it. XD

I think there is a common spacing problem here between each verse.
The easy way to fix this is to put: <br> between each verse/stanza, where you want the gap to be. Then it will make sure that it comes out in separate segments.
Overall, this work has a very positive message. I'm not sure how realistic a portrayal it is of events in the "real world" though.

eg. No matter the regrets that you hold

So I'm not going let them stop me

From enjoying life how it's meant to be

i think, sometimes people get consumed with regret. Ok, you're not showing that side of things here, but it makes this POV look a little bit limited. Just an alternative opinion to consider.
It was a very uplifting piece to read. Well done. :)

FrostArmor says...

Thanks, I will fix the formatting.

A Prince of Darkness Is a Gentleman
— William Shakespeare