z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Book Man, Chapters 63-64 (Revised)

by BluesClues


63 A CALL TO ARMS

Christian, never forgetting the hand in the water, thought he knew exactly what had happened to Morrow the Elder, but he decided not to mention it. Instead he said, “Does Rowan know you’re—not your father?”

Morrow the Younger’s eyebrows shot up in surprise, but it was Rowan herself who answered in muffled tones from beneath the cloak she was bundled in not far from the fire.

“Of course I know. I’ve known this one since before he was born.”

“Why didn’t you say anything?” Christian asked.

“I thought you knew, dear boy.” Rowan joined them beside the fire and said to the Rover, “Incidentally, for all you say against him, your father was proud to have you bearing his name. He wasn’t the best man, maybe, but none of us are perfect.”

“Well, I didn’t know,” said Christian. “I had no idea he was—was—”

“The wrong Morrow,” the Rover said with a bitter smile.

“That’s not what I meant,” Christian said, “and as you said you knew this was coming I assume I don’t find you completely unprepared for it. At any rate you ought to be far more prepared than I am.”

“Prepared enough.” Morrow slapped his knees and pushed himself to his feet, shouldering his pack. He wobbled and clutched his forehead. After a moment of breathing deeply, he straightened (though he still looked like he might be sick). “Let’s go. Dawn’s approaching and we have a bit of a walk before we reach the portal.”

“Quite so,” Rowan said, and she went around the fire to waken her troupe and Liza. In a few minutes they were all up, rubbing sleep from their eyes and giving their animals treats to entice them awake as well.

“Wait,” said Christian. “Oughtn’t we to see if any of the others want to go with us?”

Morrow looked at him blankly. “What others?”

“Why—why the Fair-folk, the other Rovers—after all, it was they who were attacked. Won’t they want to come back and fight?”

“Why should they? They’re safe here.”

“Safe, yes, but—well, look at them. They’re half-starved. They’re living in shacks, for heaven’s sakes. Can’t you—can’t you call them to arms, or something?”

The Rover king exchanged a thin smile with Rowan and said, “Shall I show you what happens when I call them to arms?”

He strode toward the center of the camp. Many of the Fair-folk were yet without shelter and huddled together on the ground, wrapped in their cloaks. They slept fitfully and woke before dawn, accustomed to rising before the portal back to Earth opened. Most of them were already awake and stirring up fires for warmth or breakfast, fetching water or chopping wood, despite the fact the sky had barely begun to lighten with the greyness of predawn. Circus-animals prowled between the fires, nosing for food and grunting crankily when they were pushed away.

Morrow leapt up onto a stump whose roots stuck out from the ground as if someone had been trying to pull it out but given up. The people nearest him looked up in disinterest and then went back to turning a scrawny rabbit on a spit over their fire.

“My people,” he called in a ringing voice, and he looked kingly indeed except for the shaking of his fingers. He stuck his hands in his coat pockets to them, but it didn’t matter; no one was paying attention to him. “Rovers, circus-folk. Goblin is rising to power—”

“Tell us something we don’t know!” a man splitting logs called from one end of the clearing. Several people tittered. Morrow continued, unfazed. But then, Christian thought with a sinking feeling, he had been expecting this, or something like it.

“Already his army has returned and victimized you once again,” Morrow said. “Long ago my father led you in battle against it. You were successful then—”

“Not successful enough, apparently,” an old Rover woman commented dryly. More titters.

“—and there is no reason why, if you decide to fight, you should not be successful now,” Morrow said as if he had not been interrupted. “You fought, you won, and you were rewarded. And now Goblin’s army has ripped that from you. My father—”

“You’re not your father,” the Rover woman said. “You’re a drunk who’s done no more for us than the stones in the ground.”

A muscle moved in Morrow’s jaw, but he did not answer her. Instead he stepped carefully down from the stump and murmured to Christian, “You see? I can't call them. Rowan’s troupe is all we have.”

64 ANOTHER CALL TO ARMS

“No,” Christian said. “No, there must be something we can say to make them come.”

Morrow gestured at the stump and said, “Be my guest.”

“No,” Christian said again, turning red, “no, that’s not what I meant.”

But Morrow was already walking back to their own fire, his shoulders hunched to deflect the heckling of the Fair-folk as he passed. He was a king without a people, a king without an army, and an army was precisely what they needed. They could not return, Christian thought, with only himself and Rowan’s small troupe to help fight Goblin. They, Mr. Catcher, and Minerva, assuming Minerva was well enough for a fight (which he doubted). And the fairies, who had magic on their side but not much of it thanks to the suddenness of the attack.

“Go on and try it,” Rowan said.

“Why not you?” Christian asked desperately. “You’re so good with people and I’m—”

“My dear Mr. Abernathy, they won’t listen to me,” the ringmaster said, as if this were obvious. “For decades my sister and I have been the object of much ridicule, thanks to our feud. The people think we cut a ridiculous figure. No, they won’t listen to me. But you—you’ve come here all on your own, though it was never your fight. Of course there’s no guarantee, but at any rate they might listen if it’s you speaking.”

“But—” said Christian.

“Just try,” said Rowan.

Christian stepped up onto the stump, wavering for a moment as he tried to find his balance. He cleared his throat and said, in a voice rather higher than usual, “Excuse me.”

No one listened.

“Excuse me,” he said again, a little louder. And when no one so much as looked at him, he took a breath and shouted as loud as he could (not very loud), “Excuse me!”

“You’re excused already,” the man splitting logs shouted back. The people around him laughed.

Well, Christian thought, at least they had noticed him. Still, he was angry. There was no need to be so rude.

“Listen, I mean,” he said, but the man leaned on his axe, grinned, and replied, “You’ve not said anything yet.”

“I’m about to.” Christian’s ears burned, more with anger for once than embarrassment. He inhaled deeply to calm himself.

“I know very few of you,” he said at last. Why did his voice have to tremble so? He looked like a fool already. “Probably almost none of you recognize me, so I realize there’s no earthly reason why you should listen to me—”

“Then, being wise enough to realize that,” the man across the clearing said languidly, “perhaps you might also be wise enough to stop talking.”

Christian clenched his jaw.

“There’s also no earthly reason why you should be so exceedingly rude to me,” he said. “I’ve done nothing to you. You might at least let me speak without heckling me.”

The man shrugged and returned to splitting logs.

“Thank you,” Christian said. Then the words he wanted spilled out in a rush. “I know you don’t know me, but I have seen the glory of your Fair at its height, your talents at work—all the merriment of a celebration that, by definition, was an insult to Goblin: a celebration of your past triumph over him and his allies. And to see you laid so low by them now—I didn’t think you had so little spirit.”

He stopped abruptly; those who had bothered to listen were now glaring at him. He was aware of Narodnaya’s presence in the surrounding forest. She probed his mind and spoke to him as she had after his dream, her voice faint with distance.

Quite a speech, but I think you may have offended them there at the end.

The man let the axe rest on his shoulder for a moment.

“It’s not for want of spirit,” he said. “Hard to think of fighting for revenge when you’re already fighting to survive.”

He brought the axe down, and the log split in two and thudded to the ground. The Fair-folk murmured in agreement and turned back to their fires.

“That’s just it,” Christian said. “You didn’t have to fight to survive in the park. You had food and shelter and—”

“And all that was destroyed when Goblin’s army came,” the man said without looking up from his logs. The others nodded and returned to their work.

The old Rover woman looked at Christian sympathetically.

“You seem a good sort,” she said, “but you’re young yet, and you’ve no business being here. Still, I wish you luck.”

Christian was crestfallen and did not think luck would be much help to him at all, but he said again, “Thank you.”

“I think that’s the best you can hope for,” Rowan said. “Oh, well. It was worth a shot, but they’re having none of it. Let’s go.”

They joined Morrow by their fire at the edge of the wood. The Rover king kicked it out and said, “Follow me.”

Christian and Liza remained in place, however. “What about Conrad?”

Morrow turned back to them. “Who?”

“The Guardian,” Rowan told him.

“My friend,” said Christian.

“My husband,” said Liza.

Morrow looked at the three of them with a raised eyebrow, but at last he nodded. “Where is he?”

Rather than explaining, Liza and Christian turned around and headed back toward the Rover caravan. Imelda’s horse was asleep against the wall of her wagon. They slowed as they approached it, both life-long city people; neither had any experience with horses.

“Er,” said Christian, reaching out to touch its neck. The horse snorted and awoke with a shake of its head, blinking at them with sleep in its eyes. It clambered to its feet and shook itself.

“Well—alright,” said Christian.

“That wasn’t so hard,” said Liza.

They led it to the front of the wagon, Christian gripping its mane and Liza kissing to it, but there they stopped.

“I’ve no idea how to harness a horse,” said Liza.

“Nor have I.”

Rowan chortled at the sight of them standing helplessly beside the horse. “Here, we’ll have this cinched up for you in no time. Graham!”

The horse-master stepped forward and buckled the horse into its traces in minutes. Then he gave Christian a long look and said, “You know how to drive?”

“Not in the least,” Christian said, so Graham climbed up into the driver’s seat and took the reins. Liza slipped inside the wagon to sit with her husband.

“Good to go if you are,” the horse-master said to Rowan. The ringmaster looked at Christian, who nodded.

“Excellent,” Rowan said. “Let’s get a move on, then.”

Graham Chelsea clucked to the horse and set the wagon moving in the direction of the woods. Together they headed into the trees with torches held high.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
160 Reviews


Points: 12700
Reviews: 160

Donate
Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:27 pm
View Likes
Valkyria wrote a review...



Hello BluesClues,

Almost three-quarters of the way through the book!

The tone of these two chapters was pretty humorous, in a pathetic way. I sympathize with their attempt to encourage the Fair Folk, but I understand why the Fair Folk aren't inspired, even if they were rude to Christain.

Speaking of Christain, he has changed so much since the first few chapters. He still hesitates when he's "rallying" the Fair Folk, but he's growing braver.

I have a couple of nitpicks that I noticed.

And the fairies, who had magic on their side but not much of it thanks to the suddenness of the attack.


This sentence feels awkward when I read it aloud. I think you can rephrase that, like this:

And the fairies, who had little magic on their side thanks to the suddenness of the attack.


They led it to the front of the wagon, Christian gripping its mane and Liza kissing to it, but there they stopped.


I think the bold part was unnecessary. We don't need to know the nitty, gritty details of this unless it's super important to the story.

Overall, this was another great chapter!
Val




User avatar
1634 Reviews


Points: 67548
Reviews: 1634

Donate
Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:28 am
View Likes
Deanie says...



Hey Blue,

It's funny reading this now because the novel has gotten so much longer. By now we would've been done reading it xD Anyways, so far so good! Just digging out the tiniest of typos:

He stuck his hands in his coat pockets to them


I think you meant for the word 'hide' to be between the last two.

Deanie x




BluesClues says...


Muchos gracias, my dear :)



User avatar
1007 Reviews


Points: 13831
Reviews: 1007

Donate
Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:48 pm
View Likes
TimmyJake wrote a review...



Timmy here!

Erm, wow. Reading this, I actually think that Christian may have done the better job doing the speech, but that may be because we are already so sentimentally attached to him and it was kinda cute for him to stand up there and try to get there attention--all the while being slammed (whether intentionally or not. At first, they were being not-so-nice to him, and then his listeners began warming up to him, although they still retained their indifference to his proposal) for what he believed in, and them pretty much calling him a brave fool. Such a change from the Christian we met earlier. Just think about it: When we met Christian in chapter one, what would he have said if someone called him that, or something along those lines? A brave fool. Not something we began associating with Christian, but a name he is growing into, and has already grown into a good portion of. It is so much fun watching a character develop. ^.^

I think you did his hesitation just perfectly. I know that the reviewer below said differently, but reading through and having persisted for so long with Book Man, I would have to say that you did his emotions and hesitation just perfectly. I think it was more of an impulse thing, anyway. He just said it before he could stop himself. It all just tumbled out, like you said. I particularly am fond of the part where he calls for their attention. It seemed so "Christian" to start off softly, and then just let it all gooooo.

They slowed as they approached it, both life-long city people; neither had any experience with horses.


Silly city-slickers. Getting a horse reader ain't that hard! Well, actually, it is. If you don't know how to do it, you don't even want to try and see. If you get it wrong (especially if you're riding the animal, because then you can fall off and it isn't nice. It may seem like a small deal, but I once rode an honory mule for ten miles without a bit in its mouth. Not so nice.), then there could be big problems. So it's a good thing Rowan came around and took care of it. And I am so glad you didn't put me through the eye-closing, boring description of preparing the horse. No saddling scenes here. Just get going! I really liked that, actually. :)

I was actually a little sad that the Rovers and Circus people didn't come and help, but it totally made sense that they didn't. And, of course, since you are a wonderfully mean author, you like making things tough for your character--which is one of the biggest ways to make people continue to read, and keep the adventure going. Walking on eggshells. That's Christian. :P But, yesh. I really liked how they didn't come, even though it would have been wonderful for their cause, because now it truly gives them more of a challenge. And who knows? Perhaps they will show up some time later on, perhaps to help with the final battle? :D
Just a guess. And don't tell me if I am right or wrong. I will find out... eventually.

~Darth Timmyjake




BluesClues says...


Silly city-slickers. Getting a horse reader ain't that hard!


RIGHT? Although I imagine hitching a horse to a wagon is more difficult than saddling one. But...I guess if you've never ridden a horse before, saddling a horse might stymie you as well.



User avatar
212 Reviews


Points: 3486
Reviews: 212

Donate
Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:08 pm
View Likes
TheCrimsonLady wrote a review...



Hello, love! Aurora here with a quick review for you!

I found no nitpicks whatsoever in this chapter. The speeches were passionate. And they didn't work. That was so funny, because I could just picture it in my head, you know?

I think adding a bit more description in places would balance it out a bit more. Also, isn't Christian nervous about addressing a bunch of people? No stage fright? Seemed a bit unrealistic to me.

I haven't read the entire book and the characters are already fleshing themselves out so well for me!
This was an awesome read.

Keep writing, love.
Aurora




User avatar
530 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 530

Donate
Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:01 am
View Likes
Renard wrote a review...



Hello.

I haven't read any of the other chapters and this seems like a bit of an odd place to start! XD
Ha ha.
Well...
I really like the way you write. You have a very mature tone, that sounds really professional and as I'm reading I think: this already sounds like published writing. :) And I don't just mean on YWS.
I can tell - and I really hope this doesn't offend you - that you're slightly older, because of the maturity in your writing. It screams experience.

I did find the chapter quite long for reading, but I guess it would be the same as part of a novel. And I must commend on you on having written so much. All of this writing takes commitment and motivation and you seem to have it in bucket loads.

Your characters are well developed, all of the events in place, by which I mean there are things going on in this chapter so it doesn't become boring. :)
Urm...I would maybe say sometimes there isn't all that much description, so it could be a bit more balanced, but on the whole, you have the making's of a story here.

:)




BluesClues says...


Thank you for the review! I take no offense to your imagining that I'm older, because

a) it's true (I'm 23, which is pretty darn old on this site), and
b) in real life everyone always thinks I'm younger than I am, so it's nice to have someone get closer to my actual age for once.

Plus your guess was based on the maturity of my writing, not my wrinkles and greying hair, so it's fine :)

Although, tbh, I sometimes think much younger writers on here are older, based on their writing. We've got some experienced kids.



User avatar
663 Reviews


Points: 11295
Reviews: 663

Donate
Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:23 am
View Likes
Messenger says...



ahahaha. I love your little description. This is such a funny scene now that i've read the whole book.





i exist in a constant state of confusion so its ok
— veeren