z

Young Writers Society


12+

The Remaining Survivors: Chapter One

by ScarletDreams14


I was in a dark gloomy forest for a reason I couldn’t remember. Then it hit me I was looking for my mother.

“Where are you? Can you hear me mom?” I cried out.

I was looked left and right for her. I couldn’t find her. I dropped to my knees and burst into tears. After a few seconds, I wiped my tears away and got back on my feet. I told myself I couldn’t give up; I had to find her no matter what.

I began running again pacing myself. I felt… I felt… like I’d failed I couldn’t save her. I don’t know why but I felt as if it where my fault. As I began to run farther, I saw the car in the distance. I started running as fast as I could towards the car. As I got to the car, I could see her slowly dying.

Her life being ripped right out of my hands by a force I couldn’t understand.

I tried to reach her but she kept on slipping away. I couldn’t ever get to her. It was as if I was on a ever-lasting treadmill. I was running full speed toward her, crying out to her, reaching for her. Then she disappeared like ash into the wind.

I opened my eyes, I jolted upward started but relizing it was only a dream. I looked around at my surroundings.

“Where was I?” I thought to myself.

A tall burnet girl, about in her late twenty’s, in nurse scrubs walked in. I started freaking out.

“Where the hell am I?!” I yelled at her.

“Calm down I’ll be right back.” She scurried out the door and came back with a tall handsome man with blond hair. “Are you ok?” He questioned,

“Where am I.” I asked,

“What happed to me.

Where is my mom? Is she alright?”

He looks at me with sad pitiful eyes and explained everything. I could feel myself slowly crumbling away from inside. It wasn’t a dream . . . I could feel my arms trembling. Everything came back it was to much too bare. I eventually cracked and felt everything rush over me all at once.

I cried myself to sleep last night. The news was just too much for me to take. All I could see was image her slipping away, bleeding out there on the cold ground. Every time I went to sleep I had the same dream. Her lying on the ground calling my name . . . and I never could reach her. I slowly fell apart piece by piece.

Everything I believed in was fading away before my eyes. I tried to think of the happy times I had with her, that only made things worse. I remembered the time me and her would chase butterflies in her garden she’d planted herself.

Flowers of every kind she’d planted reds and blues, purples and pinks. I’d always hide in the lily patch she’d planted. She’d find me and she would hide we would play that game for hours and hours laughing and smiling. It was the best memory I’d ever had of her.

The nurse came in with my lunch breaking my thoughts. She smiled at me pity in her gentle gaze. Not too long after I began to eat there was a knock at my door.

“Come in.” I rasped.

A young boy with blond hair and soft brown eyes peeked in. I recognized him as my brother Xander. Tears filled his eyes and he ran and hugged me tightly around my waist.

“I missed you. Where’ve you been?” He said muffled.

I sighed and looked away closing my eyes deep in thought.

“Fawn?” He frowned. Tears began to well up in his eyes again. “Where’s mama . . .?” He looked at me with his big sad brown eyes.

“Mama is. . . Mama is. . .” I burst into tears; I just couldn’t find the words to tell him.

“Fawn, what’s wrong?” I layed back in my bed trying to think of what to tell him. Should I tell him the truth or should I lie? No. . . he’d find out the truth at some point.

“Xander whatever I tell your going to have to stay strong and not cry like your big sis, ok?”

“I won’t cry, I promise.”

“Ok now.” I wiped my tears and sniffled. I said to him in a calm voice “Mama’s gone forever...Xander, im sorry.”

I looked at Xander; at first he looked confused like he didn’t understand then it slowly turned into a look of shock and then complete horror, words of fear and sadness written on his face. I didn’t know what to say to him I couldn’t think of any words to comfort him.

His eyes where full of mixed emotions. He suddenly collapsed onto the floor and began wailing. Tears prickled at my lashes I quickly wiped my tears away and got up. I slid off my bed onto the floor wrapping my arms around him. He sobbed into my shirt wailing for his mother.

“She can’t be dead! I need her!” he cried out muffled. The nurse rushed in quickly realizing the problem.

“I-I’m sorry.” She turned and swung around the corner giving us some time alone.

“Shhhh. . . it’s alright.” I tried to comfort him in any possible way I could.

“Xander it’s alright, Shhhh. . .” I sang rocking him back and forth like mama always did.

Everything I did reminded me of her. I had to stay in one piece, if I was going to take care of Xander. I looked at him I was cradling him, he was safely snuggled close to my chest. He had stopped crying and eventually fell asleep in my arms. I brushed the hair away from his face. His face was red and puffy from crying.

His chest rose gently with every fragile breath he took. I set him down on my bed and curled up beside him. I would protect him, mom was counting on me and I wasn’t about to let her down.

_______________________________________________________________________________

This is incredibly old and I have not yet edited it and probably won't until I finish the book.

I could still use some tips and pointers. Report grammar issues and punctuation to me please.

Thank You! 

(@Copyright belongs to me and J.Y only)    *J.Y is my co-author*


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
11 Reviews


Points: 577
Reviews: 11

Donate
Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:53 pm
pinkflutegirl wrote a review...



This is a good book, it brings you in. So many good ideas, I liked how you changed some of the stuff we worked on! However, there are a couple things that bug me. I feel as if Fawn over reacted a bit when she was in the hospital. Well, maybe it could be better if you wrote out that panic and described it. Idk. Um also, when Xander was told to stay strong and you needed him, it would be better if maybe you had it were he got watery eyes and then wiped them away to act like he was strong and didn't want to disappoint you. He acted strong but maybe you could have a part were you hear him crying, maybe when they fell asleep. Just saying. But other than that, it was truly amazing! Thanks for sharing this chapter with us♥︎






Thanks! It's really old and I haven't edited it yet so it's gonna be a bit rough. I'll work on it.






User avatar
212 Reviews


Points: 3486
Reviews: 212

Donate
Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:45 pm
View Likes
TheCrimsonLady wrote a review...



Hello, love! Aurora here with a quick review for you :).
Nitpicks first.

I was in a dark gloomy forest for a reason I couldn’t remember.
I was in a dark, gloomy forest for a reason that I couldn’t remember.

Then it hit me I was looking for my mother.
Then it hit me that I was looking for my mother.

“Where are you? Can you hear me mom?”
Comma after me.

I began running again pacing myself.
I began running again, but pacing myself.

I felt… I felt… like I’d failed I couldn’t save her.
I felt… I felt… like I’d failed because I couldn’t save her.

I don’t know why but I felt as if it where my fault.
I don’t know why but I felt as if it were my fault.

A tall burnet girl, about in her late twenty’s, in nurse scrubs walked in.
A tall brunette girl, in her late twenties, in nurse scrubs walked in.
It's still a run-on sentence.

“Calm down I’ll be right back.”
Comma after down.

“Are you ok?” He questioned,
Comma should be a period.

Where am I.” I asked,

“What happed to me.

Where is my mom? Is she alright?”

Where am I?” I asked. “What happened to me?! Where is my mom? Is she alright?”"

He looks at me with sad pitiful eyes and explained everything.
You switch tenses; looks should be looked.

Everything came back it was to much too bare.
Everything came back; it was to much too bear.

I cried myself to sleep last night
'last' should be 'that'.

I tried to think of the happy times I had with her, that only made things worse.
I tried to think of the happy times I had with her, but that only made things worse.

I remembered the time me and her would chase butterflies in her garden she’d planted herself.
I remembered the times we would chase butterflies in the garden she’d planted herself.

Flowers of every kind she’d planted reds and blues, purples and pinks.
She’d planted reds and blues, purples and pinks, flowers of every kind.

She’d find me and she would hide we would play that game for hours and hours laughing and smiling.
She’d find me, and then she would hide. We would play that game for hours and hours, laughing and smiling.

The nurse came in with my lunch breaking my thoughts.
Comma after 'lunch'.

He looked at me with his big sad brown eyes.
Comma after 'big'.

I layed back in my bed trying to think of what to tell him.
Layed should be lay.

Xander whatever I tell your going to have to stay strong and not cry like your big sis, ok?”
Xander, whatever I tell you, you're going to have to stay strong and not cry like your big sis, okay?”

I looked at Xander; at first he looked confused like he didn’t understand then it slowly turned into a look of shock and then complete horror, words of fear and sadness written on his face.
I looked at Xander; at first he looked confused like he didn’t understand, but then it slowly turned into a look of shock and then complete horror, words of fear and sadness written on his face.

I didn’t know what to say to him I couldn’t think of any words to comfort him.
I didn’t know what to say to him. I couldn’t think of any words to comfort him.

His eyes where full of mixed emotions.
Where should be were.

I looked at him I was cradling him, he was safely snuggled close to my chest.
I looked at him. I was cradling him, and he was safely snuggled close to my chest.

I would protect him, mom was counting on me and I wasn’t about to let her down.
I would protect him. Mom was counting on me, and I wasn’t about to let her down.

End of nitpicks.

Alright. I like this story. Only one critique for you. Vary your sentence structure a bit so that it's not always 'I did that', or 'He did this'. Also, when she says that everything she did reminded her of her mother, that just doesn't make sense. Most people wouldn't realize that. Also, don't have her describe the doctor as handsome. That's just creepy.

Keep persisting, love.
Aurora






Thanks Aurora!
Like I said this is tremendously old and isn't any of my recent work.
This was written when I was WAY less experienced than I am now.
It hasn't been edited and such so it's in bad shape. Also it's only a draft so it's a big rough around the edges. Thank you anyhow I really appreciate your review!





You're quite welcome. :)





You're quite welcome. :)





You're quite welcome. :)





You're quite welcome. :)





You're quite welcome. :)





You're quite welcome. :)





You're quite welcome. :)





You're quite welcome. :)



User avatar
11 Reviews


Points: 577
Reviews: 11

Donate


A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything, and the value of nothing.
— Oscar Wilde