z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

On Being Content with Only Scraping the Sky

by indieeloise


If nighttime is good for honesty,

this is it: my eyes are itchy

from driving the same way home.

For now I am stuck with a scratch

of familiar wonder.

.

About a half a mile down the road

from where my grandmother lives

and breathes, the city is building a library.

I have waited for this

for a good long while. Lately it seems

like the ground has been covered,

the roof is up and the frame looks finished

but I suppose the inside

requires a little more than cookie-cutter

carpentry.

.

Mother says there is something spiritual

about the way that library

is being constructed. I look at my hands

.

and think to myself, This is what your fingers

and palms and knuckles are for:

not for aching, sweating or the constant feeling

of what might have been lost

but for building an oasis within.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
21 Reviews


Points: 340
Reviews: 21

Donate
Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:15 pm
Sweetie wrote a review...



Hey! Sweet here! I don't think I have ever read one of your works but, with just reading this one I can tell you are a really good writer!

When I first started reading it, honestly, I was kind of confused, but once I got into it it was really good.

I love the last stanza, it was a really good ending to the whole poem. It wrapped everything up perfectly.

Really good job! I can't wait to read more of your work!




User avatar
102 Reviews


Points: 1374
Reviews: 102

Donate
Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:04 am
michaeld wrote a review...



Hey indieeloise! It's been months and months (maybe even a year...) since I've been on YWS, but I'm back and ready to review! First of all, I really enjoyed this poem. As SubtleSanity said, your imagery used here is absolutely fantastic. I especially loved the last stanza where you said "this is what your fingers and palms and knuckles are for." One thing that I'm an absolute sucker for is lots of description, but not too much. I think you hit the mark just right with that line! As far as grammar goes, I didn't catch anything, so props to you for that! The only thing that caught my eye as far as corrections go would be the structure of the poem. For me, poetry is best when it flows well and breaks in stanzas should aid in that process. There were a few points where my reading was cut off because of the way you had separated sentences. Here is one example:

"from where my grandmother lives

and breathes, the city is building a library."


In my opinion, I think the break would have worked better where you put the comma (and that's also a helpful thing to use in the future — if there's a comma, the break would work best there in most cases).

I also feel that there could have been a better break in this line:

"and think to myself, This is what your fingers"


to where it would end up looking something like:

"and think to myself,
This is what your fingers..."


Honestly, those were the only two parts that stopped me. Everything else seemed to flow just fine :D Just remember that placement of stanzas is key to creating a great poem. Read it out loud to yourself, and if you find yourself pausing or feeling like the lines aren't being spoken naturally, take another look at where you have separated sentences and created new stanzas. Once again, loved the poem and fantastic imagery. Happy writing!
xx michaeld




User avatar
476 Reviews


Points: 561
Reviews: 476

Donate
Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:12 am
Apricity wrote a review...



Heyo indie! Knight Subtle here for a brief review. It has been a while since I've reviewed poetry and I'm on my tablet, so I'm terribly sorry for any mistakes I make. Like sis said, this is a really lovely poem. Especially with your use of imagery throughout the poem, the poem itself flows very smoothly.

The title itself is an attention grabber already, so well done with that choice even though I have no idea what it means. While reading this poem, I realized that there is probably a deeper layer of meaning beneath this. A lot of these lines seem to be metaphors for something else.

I don't have much criticism for this poem except I really love the language style that you've chosen to write the poem in. Is soothing p, a bit literal but it also creates so very vivid imagery. The only nitpicks I have is to expand your second and third stanza a bit more. They both felt very short to me, the same with the first, they all seem like an insight into an idea like a fragment. But you could expand it so much more, right now. We get a touch of what is coming, but is too vague and far-sketched to be joined up together. Like for the second stanza, they're building a library down the road, and it needs a little more carpentry skills than what's already been done, I'm curious. Why is that so?

I likes the way you ended the poem, is a very soothing way to end a poem like this. Great work, keep writing.

-S.s




User avatar
1227 Reviews


Points: 144125
Reviews: 1227

Donate
Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:08 am
View Likes
alliyah wrote a review...



I'm here to review your lovely poem! :)

Grammar/Wording:
I love the opening stanza! It just all ties together in such a perfect way. The speaker's eyes are itchy because they're tired and then so that means they're honest like the first line says. Then you mention being "scratchy" again tying the 2nd part to the first. I also love the oxymoron of "familiar wonder".

Unfortunately I am having a very difficult time figuring out how in the world the first stanza ties to the second two. They seem to have nothing to do with taking the same path home or being tired. Somehow I think you should try to tie these in better or make some reference to driving or sleepiness or honesty in the 2nd two stanzas.

I really didn't see any spelling mistakes, so good job there. I have to say there were definitely some weird line breaks; but I think they kept it interesting so I enjoyed that part of your style.

Other Suggestions:

My least favorite line is the very last one. "meantime" just has a bad connotation such as the word "mean" being in it and also it seems like a reference to wasting time rather than "building an oasis" or "something spiritual". The last little part just didn't have a lot of "punch value" for me, even though as a whole I enjoyed the poem. Maybe you could delete the very last line or change it up a little.

Content/Message:
The meaning of this poem gets a little bit muddled to me. I like the tone of sentimentality with the references to a grandmother and a familiar route home, and then also the tones of spirituality and an oasis, I'm just not really seeing the connection between them all and a bigger meaning.

I guess if I had to say what this poem meant I'd say it means we should cherish the old (like the familiar path, the grandma, spirituality, books, and the line "what might have been lost") but we should find a way to cherish it not by looking to outside sources but looking inside ourselves and our identity (like the reference to an oasis within, and the ornate building that housed the important books). This could be a beautiful meaning if that's what you're going for, but my problem is that I do not understand how that relates to the title, to itchiness, or to avoiding "aching & sweating".

There are some beautiful lines in this poem and maybe other people will be able to understand it better. I just feel like I only get a vague understanding of what you're trying to say throughout the poem and then the ending just leaves me confused.

If you have any questions or would like to tell me what your poem really means feel free to PM me, I'd love to here your responses! Good job and good luck! Thanks for posting!

Review courtesy of the After Watch Green Room Team (Knights of the Green Room)




User avatar
351 Reviews


Points: 11482
Reviews: 351

Donate
Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:03 am
Kanome wrote a review...



Hello.
Kanome here with a review for you.

I love this poem.
It's interesting and it gives out symbolization throughout the whole piece.
I believe this is something new and creative - so great job on that.

Nitpicks:
- Okay, right here, you can make a new line. It's only a suggestion though, so you don't have to change it if you don't want to.

for a good long while.

Lately it seems

like the ground has been covered...-


Also, I love the ending. It's gives the character's thoughts about what his/her hands symbolize. Real interesting.

Keep up the great work.
I can't wait to read more c:




User avatar
123 Reviews


Points: 2762
Reviews: 123

Donate
Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:58 am
FatCowsSis wrote a review...



Hello!! I'm here with a review, just for you!!

First of all, this might be more of a pet peeve, but I noticed how you capitalized the beginning of the lines with new sentences. That makes sense, but to me it looks....I'm not sure. This is probably just a pet peeve...I don't even know.

Now, on to the actual content. Hmmm, so I gather they are building a library. But what confuses me is the first stanza doesn't seem to be about that. So that makes me assume (as most poems do) this has a deeper meaning. So, what is that meaning?

This really is a beautiful poem. But I can't find the deeper meaning. Does that have something to do with the fact that it's 1 in the morning? Probably. I'll wake up tomorrow and be like, "ohhhhh.."

But, my favorite part of the poem is

not for aching, sweating or the constant feeling

of what might have been lost

but for building an oasis within

for the meantime.

To me, this resembles hope. And that itself is beautiful.

Well, I think I should head to sleep before I really say something bad in a review. Thank you for the poem!!!

Keep writing, and as always, keep smiling!!

-Sis

(Forgive anything weird in this review....again, It's 1 am) :D
This review courtesy of
Image





"You're wrong about humanity. They are your greatest creation because they're better than you are. Sure, they're weak, and they cheat and steal and destroy and disappoint, but they also give and create, and they sing and dance and love. Above all, they never give up."
— Metatron