z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

LWR Characters: Ledan Frienson

by Kanome


Author's note: This is a work in progress. I will be posting character profiles on this while writing the continuation of the story, so please bear with me. I will let you know when the next character update will be coming.

LWR Character Profiles:

Ledan Frienson

  • Age: 18
  • Gender: Male
  • Appearance:

  • Crime committed: Accused for first degree murder.
  • Personality: He is a young and quiet individual. He tends to only keep his comments to himself. He never liked talking to others about his problems, or in general for that matter. He is also kind and generous; despite the fact he had an ugly past.
  • History: Ledan is an only child to his parents, Valerie and Henrick Frienson. He used to be the child that his parents loved and cared deeply for. When he turned ten, everything went downhill. His parents began to abuse him emotionally (mother) and physically (father). During his school hours, he spends most of his days staying after school until it was time to go (usually around 6:00PM). His only friend was his counselor during the sixth grade, Ms. Frescan. She has always cared for Ledan as her own loving son. Ledan went to her sessions every day before and after school because he was forced to go by his teacher, but ended up liking it. He enjoyed spending time at school, in the music room, playing the piano, which he taught himself to do. Now, he is in jail for first degree murder of his parents, which he has no memory of. Now, he is on a mission of figuring out what has happened on the day of his parents’ deaths.
  • Other: He is a favorite type of donut, which is glazed with blueberry filling.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:11 am
Shady wrote a review...



Hey Kano,

Shady here with a quick review for you this fine evening. I've never really reviewed a character template before, but I can still give my thoughts, I guess. ^-^

So, I'll go in order. I like the name you chose, a lot, especially the first one (Ledan). It sounds like a nice, strong character name. So, I approve. :P

I'm not sure I like the appearance section so much. I mean, that's a cute picture, but we can't really tell much about him-- especially since it's a black and white drawing. What color is his hair? His eyes? His skin, even? Also, how tall is he? He's obviously fairly slim, but it's hard to tell his height since he's crouching. Is clothes preference is also fairly vague, seeing as we can't see much about them in this picture, and have no idea if this outfit is typical of what he usually wears. I'm not entirely sure what this character profile is for, I'm assuming your novel, so if you only have a few characters and happen to be able to remember that, then fine-- but the appearance is the section that I strive to get really, really detailed. Your character's personality can (should, even) change as they develop-- but if he randomly changes from green eyes to blue, you'd need a pretty good explanation for that, or you'd be making people raise a few eyebrows.

As far as the crime goes, I'd also recommend a few more details here. Accused? Is he actually guilty? And what sort of murder? I suppose 1st degree means premeditated-- but what weapon did he use? Did he hide the body?

As far as the history goes, I'd also like a few more details here. What caused the change? Why did loving parents suddenly turn abusive? That doesn't really make sense-- unless, like, they were going through a divorce and decided to take it out on him? I dunno, it just doesn't seem to add up. Be sure it's realistic. :)

As far as the "other" goes, I'm fairly interested to know why that's relevant information. xD

~

I hope this helps! As I said, I've never really reviewed one of these before, so I'm not sure exactly what the purpose is-- or else I could probably be more helpful. But, you've got my general opinion anyway, haha.

Keep writing!

~Shady 8)




User avatar
621 Reviews


Points: 4984
Reviews: 621

Donate
Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:36 pm
Rook wrote a review...



Hello! I’ve never seen a character profile submitted as a literary work, but I’m thinking it’s not too bad an idea. Then someone can say whether a character is too goody-goody or whatever.
First of all, unless you want him to have feminine qualities, I’m pretty sure that picture is of a female. Again if this is purposeful, then sorry, but there’s like, nail polish and everything on the ground. Plus the body shape and face shape and even the clothes are feminine. Just a warning in case this wasn’t intentional.
Since this is submitted as a literary work, I’ll also work on grammar and composition.

He is a young and quiet individual
I think you should start this sentence with his name, as it is the first part of the heavy reading.
He tends to only keep his comments to himself.
you don’t need “only.” Get rid of it.
He never liked talking to others about his problems, or in general for that matter.
This sounds awkward. Try saying something like “He never liked talking to others, specifically about his problems. Of course you don’t have to say that, but having those two statements “in general” and “for that matter” next to each other reads awkwardly.
You’re jumping around the tenses here. Figure out: am I talking in present or past tense?
For example:
despite the fact he had an ugly past.

If you’re talking in present (as you were at the beginning of this sentence) this needs to be “he has had and ugly past.” Go through the rest of this and see what needs to be fixed tense-wise
: Ledan is an only child to his parents, Valerie and Henrick Frienson.

First of all, the first part of this sentence is reduntant. Secondly, the middle part is confusing. Try rewriting it to say something like “Ledan is the only child of Valerie…”

It would be more coherent to the reader to explain WHY his loving parents turned on him when he turned ten. It would be very helpful in explaining his character and why he acts the way he does. Is it something Ledan did that made is parents angry? Was it their fault? Is it some outside force? Just stress? Tell us!

You might want to specify if Ms. Frescan is the school counselor or not. Also the way she cares for him as her son makes her sound creepy when I’m sure it was not.
which he taught himself to do.” This sounds awkward. Perhaps you could say “He enjoyed teaching himself to play the piano.”

Now, he is in jail for first degree murder of his parents, which he has no memory of.
I feel like you’re speaking backwards, which may just be a style. You should clear up this sentence (and also make it the start of its own paragraph as it didn’t happen at school). Also, you don’t need the comma after “now,” and you should probably say “the” before “first degree murder.” Again, these are all suggestions.
Again with the “Now,” thing. Also, you should vary your sentence starters.
on a mission of figuring out what has happened
This would read better if you said “a mission to figure out.”
He is a favorite type of donut, which is glazed with blueberry filling.

Perhaps you meant to say “his favorite type of donut is glazed…”

This guy seems to be pretty well-rounded, although he seems a bit on the “perfect” side. Everything seems like it’s not his fault. Also, the reader has little idea of what he’s actually like, just the things other people think of him and the things he likes to do. What does he think on the inside? But perhaps that belongs in the actual writing.
You do have some nice details, and I hope they all get worked into the story, especially the donut part.
Keep it up!
~fortis
Edit: I just read the other reviewers below me, and they all have very valid points. You should take some extra care to read their reviews too and think about what they said.




Rook says...


(okay I just google-imaged the picture so sorry I guess it is a dude. He looks kinda girly though in this picture. XD Sorry sorry.)



Kanome says...


Anime tends to do that sometimes xD



User avatar
933 Reviews


Points: 4261
Reviews: 933

Donate
Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:33 pm
View Likes
Iggy wrote a review...



Hey Kanome.

I haven't read your new series, but you seem to be highly involved with it, so perhaps I'll give it a read after reviewing this. :-) I have never seen someone submit a character profile as a work before, so I'll do my best to review this.

For his personality, in my opinion, he doesn't seem like the murderer type. Perhaps I really should read the novel now, so I understand... perhaps he was framed? Or maybe this fits the "it's always the quiet ones" stereotype? Is he secretly plotting world domination? >_>

But seriously, isn't there something more to his personality other than his quiet nature? You don't have to go into specifics, but something that contrasts it, something that makes him seem less generous and kind, might be nice to see. Maybe he has a temper and can change at the flip of a coin?

Ahhh, so it was his parents he killed. I would comment on the injustice of going to jail for killing your abusive parents, but I'll hold back on that. This isn't the time for politics. >_> The history has me interested more than the personality did. Why did they suddenly change, I wonder? Is this a family of bipolarism? I guess I'll find out...

Bahaha, that was a random way to end the profile. xD And ew, blueberry donut? I like blueberries but nah, that sounds like too much.

Anyways, I hope this helped. Somewhat. :mrgreen:

~Iggy

This review courtesy of
Image




Kanome says...


World Domination xD



User avatar
1227 Reviews


Points: 143925
Reviews: 1227

Donate
Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:26 pm
alliyah wrote a review...



Hey Kanome! :) You've been doing all sorts of great reviewing the past few days, so I'll try to write a good review for you!

I think it's interesting that you chose to put both his age "18" and then under personality you mentioned that

He is a young and quiet individual.
This indicates to me that your character not only is young but his personality is young. From his other personality traits it seems like he is rather reserved so I'm not sure where youthfulness fits into his personality-- maybe in innocence or weakness?

Then you mention he "is in jail..." but that he is also "on a mission figuring out what..." This makes me wonder if he's still in fail or if he's out on bail or just how he's pursuing this mission.

It's funny that you added the favorite type of donut too! Not sure what the significance is in that, but I'm sure it's important!

You've probably developed his appearance a little bit more in the story, but the picture being in black and white still makes me wonder his eye, hair, skin color, and height. It looks like he has a slight build and big eyes though which I think fits well with his history and personality.

Good development so far, and good luck on the rest of your characters and writing!!


~Knight of the After Watch Alliyah
This review courtesy of
Image




User avatar
212 Reviews


Points: 3486
Reviews: 212

Donate
Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:51 pm
View Likes
TheCrimsonLady wrote a review...



Hello, love. Aurora here with a quick review for you.

I like this. The only other thing I think you could have included (main thing, that is), is a list of his weaknesses. Also, make sure you know how he plays the piano. Is is good? Opus he a classical musician? How did he teach himself? Does he have a good ear? Does he have a history of any other crimes?

Also, most students grow bitter towards counselor so because counselor a ask question upon question upon question. I speak from experience. So what made Ledan unique like that? Did something happen to him to make him realize that the counselor is his friend?

You don't need to give me the answers to these. But make sure you know the answers to these question.

Aurora




Kanome says...


I can answer all of those in these next few chapters of the story xD





Great!




You're given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself. What you say is completely up to you.
— Madeleine L'Engle, A Wrinkle in Time