Avant Garde

by Willard

FREE WORK DAY

I am an avocado.
Hear me roar,
But I can't.
Consumerism is destroying us, society.
Rebel against the Man.
Fight the power.

Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:14 pm
emeraldfox wrote a review...

Hello, Strange. Okay, so I see what you're trying to do. You're trying to be edgy and make a note of how people who try to be "Avant Garde" really just repeat each other's lines. But then that becomes what you're doing, as well. You didn't really come up with your own lines to use, you just repeated what everyone else is saying, you know? I also didn't really understand the "FREE WORK DAY" part. Maybe it makes sense to other people and not me. Ah I feel bad this sounds really harsh. On to what I did like:

I liked the use of avocado, it goes along with the other meaningless things people try to make symbolic. I liked the form of the poem. I thought it flowed well.

To sum it all up, I like your ideas, but I think you shoud phrase it in a different way

--emeraldfox

Willard says...

I'm trying to be edgy? Er...

Willard says...

I'm not trying to be edgy at all. That's actually not the point of this. I never repeated lines? I'm not trying to make a point of it. I just sat down at my computer and wrote it, no meaning intended. Thanks for the review, actually, but I'm afraid that there's no way I could phrase it differently. This is just a one trick pony, but the trick just got lost in translation, I would say.

P.S: I wrote this in ten seconds because I could post on Free Work Day

CowLogic says...

I didn't chooz the beatnik lyfe. The beatnik lyfe choze thug.

racket wrote a review...

Hello there, my friend! Racket here to review your work!
I like how short this is, it makes it much easier to review. This poem exactly lines up with your name, which makes lots of sense. So you were just trying out free work day?
"I am an avocado.
Hear me roar,
But I can't"
I think the flow of this would be way better if you were to (a. take out the period at the end of the first line and replace it with a comma, (b. replace the comma in the second line with a period, and (c. make the last line
"But I can't."
it's own little sentence in its own little stanza to give it a little...drama. That's what it needs, a little funky drama to separate the two meanings (?), or are they stanzas that make no sense?
"Consumerism is destroying us, society."
If something were as bad as to destroy society, don't you think it would be a little exciting? In a bad way of course. I believe you should sound as if you are seriously concerned, so add an exclamation point! Maybe underline! You could even use all caps!
"Rebel against the Man.
Fight the power."
I believe the point of this poem is to shock with the random-osity, so enthusiasm is greatly encouraged here. My suggestion is an exclamation point on that first line and maybe, just to be a little strange (as your namesake), underline the last line, but keep the period.
These are my suggestions to make your poem a little more STRANGE. I enjoyed reading this, and even (surprisingly), got the majority of the meaning (s?). Thanks for writing and letting me review! Write on and happy Review Day!
~Racket

JayeCShore wrote a review...

Hi, J.C. here for a review!

I...I don't know what to say. I read this, and I was stunned, quite literally. Yah, everybody else laughs and thinks it's so funny, but unless you've ever worked at the supermarket for two shifts a day, you don't understand what this truly means.

I am an avocado.
Hear me roar,

People underestimate the avocado far too much. Okay, the avocado is unimportant, but here, in this poem, it symbolizes the underrated, under appreciated workers out there, who don't have a voice in the world.

But I can't.

Couldn't have said it much better myself. Honestly, we try and try to get our opinions out there, but we're drowned out by all the screaming.

Consumerism is destroying us, society.

How true this is. People buy and sell crap all day everyday, and they forget about us, the lowly avocados! You know, if everyone simply went to the grocery store and bought one avocado a day, the world would be a whole lot better of a place. Give something back for a change! Buy the dang avocado!

Rebel against the Man.
Fight the power.

Rise up exploited avocados! Take charge of the work force! Strike!

This review is proof that something good can be found in the worst of things :P

Thank you Strange!

#D65F54 ">- JC -

#TheFaultInOurReviews

Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:47 pm
Caesar says...

ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWAH

also alternate title should be avant garden

Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:46 pm
Corncob wrote a review...

Hey Strange,
I probably will only nitpick grammar things in this review, because I'm not sure what your references mean. BUT, that will not stop me from trying my best to give you an honest review.
Lines I liked/Good stuff:
The crossed out free work day. I don't know what it means, and how anything relates to the title, but I like it.
The avocado reference. Interesting!
The selective capitalization. The selection of words you chose I agree with.
I just think the whole poem has a (if not strange:D) cool flow, despite my low level of comprehension, I very much enjoyed this short submission of art.
I would give you a higher rating, but to fully enjoy a poem, I like to understand it, to at least a certain extent :). So here's your rating:
8.5/10
+1

Willard says...

I understand why you didn't understand this, as you might not know what it means, and today is Free Work Day. Basically, this means no effort was put into it

Corncob says...

Aah. Understanding has not been gained anymore than a tidbit, but thanks :)

Willard says...

Well, I didn't understand that. But, it's a common satire

Corncob says...

True dat. I kind of tried to sound strange (no pun intended) on the previous comment. *goes to look up satire because is sadly uneducated*

Corncob says...

Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:32 pm
Kanome wrote a review...

Hello, Strange.
Kanome here with a review.

First off... whaa? xD
I am laughing my butt off because of this poem. This is the most random thing I've seen all day.

Secondly, I liked how you started off that you are an avocado xD
This looks like a poem of self-expression... is that really what it is?
I can just tell by the last three stanzas.

Consumerism is destroying us, society.
Rebel against the Man.
Fight the power.

Well, I personally liked it. Keep up the amazingness c:

Don't be sad bc sad backwards is das and das not good
— LadyMysterio