z

Young Writers Society


12+ Mature Content

Sleeping Suicides (Lost Chapter)

by Annapurna


A.N. This chapter features midway through my story so it may seam a little confusing but the main idea is that the narrator finds herself in an uncanny situation and with people she hasn't seen for a long time. The back story is the character is living in an apocalyptic future with surviving friends and this whole scene is just a dream she experiences during that time

Sleeping Suicides

"How do you define the thread between a dream and reality? When you die? Or when the dead return to life? Because you never notice there was something strange, until you are awake; so until then, one must simply live through their nightmares and die a thousand deaths"

Crimson beads were my eyes as I could feel them itch and dry with the sore irritation from the air’s strict slaps. Intertwining with my figures, tearing dew dropped reeds of grass wove themselves around my hands, as if to hold me back with their gentle tugs. I had set my mind aside and continued gliding through the field, without a thought, without a care. The washing greens of the trees and unripe corn waved in sync to the winds whistle and the clouds did their best impression of a summer sky. And as I did so the snapshots of past moments and suppressed memories sparked my vision, in their randomised order but of which made perfect sense to my deluded self at the time. And so I held my breath and did not feel the need to release it. Centre marked the field with a wide conker tree, its branches stretched far like the arms of god as its leaves seamed too proud to be picked up by the breeze, instead stood waiting in its superior might. Sitting quite still upon the thick branch, only some feet off the floor, I could see that Wolfgang was holding his breath too. Wolfgang was here. Sitting on that great branch, back to me, but why? I stopped somewhat of seven meters from them, though his back was turned with no reaction, he knew I was there.

“Quizzical am I not, to find you here?” I called out but Wolfgang remained motionless.

“I have to say I miss you, though I can’t remember why? If I came here to find you, then Ramona Ramone must have sent me. I think” I was speaking my thoughts aloud. “Show a smile? Wolfgang? “Still he continued to hold his breath. “Say, have you seen mother?”

I let the wind carry me closer, though Wolfgang’s back and statue form sent shivers through me, while I hoped it was in factWolfgang. His front remained out of site but the boy lifted his left arm and pointed to the east, then gently lowered it back to his side. The east; where before I had only noticed sky and the continuous row of identical trees, actually was the back garden of my home. A door between two trees stepped through and there lay acres of a kings palace gardens. It was my home, with the rotted cottage of love and brick behind me, but the extensions of Versailles’s fountain and statue scattered fields of marble, glitter and excellence. It was a mirage behind my tattered cottage of polished marble and trimmed emerald shrubs, mazes, and gold-leaf statues. Besides this new decor, I recognised it as my home and nothing more at the time. And there, again, without question I was sprinting through the empty grounds, just for the thrill of feeling royal yet liberated. My heart pounded as I flew and dived like an eagle in twilight, until I reached my back door. Mother stood frail and white with shaken eyes. With oceanic glimmers that where enough to destroy my peace of mind, I then knew then that everything would soon end in tragedy.

“I cannot find Delphi or Mathew?” Her voice was enough to alarm me with their indefinite danger, although I knew my younger siblings could not be far, I assumed the worst. The way I always do.

“Delphi! Mathew!” My calls echoed loader than the last each time, breaking the peace of Versailles’s gardens which now became the mark of demonic possessions and haunting terrors. I froze to watch a marble statue grind its mouth against the sculptor’s wishes, and smiled at me. Next to the house, the old station platform waited, now just a mound of earth where old bricks bordered the edge, alongside mother’s lavender. The sun was beginning to set and amber streaks bled through the picture, allowing me to see clearer. Mother, confused and scared like a child was clinging to my shirt, though unaware of what I could see. Delphi and Mathew, hand in hand, walked up the platform to where I could see them finally, yet I did not move. “Mathew!” my mother’s voice did not catch my attention, she was too far away. I felt my eyes throb as they widened and twist beyond their strength as my feet cemented into the earth, I was a tree: powerless and frozen and suddenly I felt the urgency to breathe again. My brother and sister could hear me but just like Wolfgang, they gave me no response. They stopped at the edge of the bricked outline and I knew then what they would do. I felt my heart implode. The earth began to blur.

And it was then I could hear it. Enter the echoed groans of the Mindless Zombies in my head as I watched.

There was nothing in my power to stop them so I watched, in an agonising torture of disbelief. Behind and beneath the platform awaited the grinning teeth and rapid eyes of a crowd of forming, foaming, Mindless. The jaws clicked together with each step my siblings took. And like that, no expression, realisation, consciousness, humanity and I choked. I choked as I watched my brother and sister walk off the platform, in only a few seconds, to their death. My mother was still out of site. So I was alone.

“Where are they?” again like a child, my mother looked as if she would cry so I covered her eyes to blind her from our tragedy. And like the snap of fingers, breakage of bones, the night hit the sky with deathly black and blues. Taking my mother’s hand in mine, the other still shielding her eyes from the sight I wished I could fix or forget. I took her in the house, shaking, stiff as if I had been struck by lightning.

“Where are they Aurelia? Aurelia please?” My mother begged. But crying was my default to let her know the worst was possible and yet it happened. Protesting though, still too confused and afraid to overpower me, I hugged her before leaving her in her room, closing the door, I locked it. The dust on the floor was thicker, as though no one had set foot in the house in decades. Wallpaper which was clam blue was now a new shade of grey and mould with fur hung damp and tearing at the corners and panels. Falling onto the floor against the door, I ignored the figure at the end of the hall. I collapsed into my arms, I knew Wolfgang had been there for a while now. He bent down to me, clutching me tight, the way he would never have held me before. He didn’t have to say anything because there was nothing say. I hated him for prophesising this nightmare, but the events foretold were not his work. It was mine. It was of my insecurity and denial.

Refusing to let go of him I opened my eyes to see Wolfgang take from his dark blazer, a penknife.

“Wolfgang? Please, Wolfgang I need you?” And yet no one was to listen, for my words were only the blanks and breathes between the dialogues which were refused to be heard. Wolfgang lay dead, quiet, lying like a widowed swan that died of a broken heart, his chest resembled a pirate’s treasure chest as he bled a thousand rubies, onto the wooden floorboards of that house. And how it ended was as predicted. Expressionless and out of tears my head fell back against the door as I too was killed off. The only way I can be: I remembered, they were all already dead. So none of this had happened...

The Mindless were still out there waiting and Ramona Ramone didn’t know Wolfgang even existed? I remembered it all and there it was. The realisation hit me with the swarming seas of horror and wishes of death striking me right then and there.

Looking at Wolfgang’s lifeless body bleed, staining my hands and clothes I listened to the groaning mindless outside, my mother on the other side of the door and the haunted faces of my siblings.

This was the first of the repetitive nightmare. These were the sleeping suicides. The nightmares I believed a thousand times over as I watched them die a thousand deaths. I knew I couldn't tell anyone. Besides... it wouldn’t bring them back to me...

So every day I feared reality, while each night I was more afraid of my own mind and to fall asleep.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
878 Reviews


Points: 35199
Reviews: 878

Donate
Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:46 am
Demeter wrote a review...



Hey there Annapurna!

I hope I can make some sense into this review even though I haven’t read any of the other parts (if you’ve posted any). I’ll try to go through this chapter as chronologically as possible!

- The first paragraph is a bit description-heavy. I understand that it’s a dream scene and the same rules don’t always apply to dreams, but the fact that the sentences are so long and there is so much description in them makes it difficult for the reader to keep up.

- There are a few bits where you write ”seams” when it should be ”seems”. This is tricky, because spell-check won’t recognise the context, but just remember that ”seems” is the verb while ”seams” is (most often) a plural noun.

- ”Somewhat of seven meters” is quite a specific ”estimation”, especially with the ”somewhat”. I don’t think anyone’s eye can quite recognise seven meters without a measurement tape.

- “Quizzical am I not, to find you here?” - I don’t really understand this line, unfortunately. It would make more sense with ”is it not”, but I’m sure there’s a reason why you chose ”am I not”.

- ”My mother was still out of site.” - out of sight :)


How bloody! This completely depends on the story and the importance/significance that dreams overall have in your mind, but I was thinking that since it's a dream sequence, it could be made more concise. It's always a bit questionable when stories have long chunks that don't really take the plot forward, and in your case, I think it could be easily fixed. The significance of this dream, I think, is the fact that the main character's loved ones are chased and die and that the atmosphere is chaotic and ominous, and that effect you can achieve with much fewer words. That way you have more space for the actual story and characters' real interactions. :) Just something to think about!

I really liked that last line - I thought it was a very good ending to the chapter! All in all, I think you write well. Your descriptions are good too, just make sure that you don't use them in every sentence!

I hope this helped!


Demeter
x




User avatar
289 Reviews


Points: 30323
Reviews: 289

Donate
Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:53 am
Caesar wrote a review...



Good day to you.

I'd like to talk to you about dreams, those dreams that seem like reality, but turn out to be not-quite-so, and terrifying. The key to crafting such dreams is gradually: a balance between the real and the unreal must be established. In her dream-like state, perhaps the main character doesn't actually realize this is a dream -- therefore, neither do the readers. We go along with it, and are entranced by the ethereal atmosphere, which is created here, so props to you. Only when the character starts realizing it do we notice that things are terribly wrong.

I feel some parts are either too rushed or too vague. A lot if different imagery is invoked: the tree, first when she sits on it and then when she becomes one, the wind, pirates (when Wolfgang bleeds), the Mindless (no idea what those are but I assume the zombies created after your generic apocalypse). Evoking so many different images detracts from the overall potency, especially because they're not interconnected. I say, focus on a theme and craft images around that theme. Some parts, for example, I don't understand. First, the main character is staring at a tree unmoved by the wind, then she's being carried by the wind to the house, then she becomes a tree (or feels like she's becoming one), but the next paragraph she's dashing towards a room, then her friend is suddenly there but he's stabbing himself.

It is true, dreams in real life are often random, but this is not real life, in a novel, randomness will simply leave readers confused. I would find it much more effective if at least some connection were to be established between one transition and another. I liked the tree images, maybe you could focus on those. I also thought the bit where the mother clings to her was rather powerful, it is highly distressing when a mother clings to her child for guidance and support. Maybe the character should be equally alarmed, that would make it even more powerful.

What I would do, in conclusion, is make it so that we are shifted from a dreamscape to reality-scape. What do I mean? Well, the beginning, where the dream is apparently peaceful, I would keep that vague, more or less devoid of emotions, I mean. Then, she starts exploring the house, and maybe she doesn't find her siblings immediately -- the seed of doubt is planted. She finds her mother, and things start going downhill. From that moment, I would punch the readers with cold, dark emotion. That would be rather disturbing, I think, and make things overall more effective. The transition from dream to reality, ethereal calm to emotion and confusion.

~grammatical stuff below~

On the technical aspect, there are countless little grammatical mistakes. I'll list some below:

“Quizzical am I not, to find you here?”


This actually doesn't mean anything in english. Perhaps you meant 'Is it not quizzical to find you here?' That would be grammatically correct, yes, but still ineffective. Maybe replace it with something simpler, but to the point, such as 'What are you doing here, Wolfgang?'

“I cannot find Delphi or Mathew?”


that's not a question, I don't see why a question mark is needed. Maybe it's more of an exclamation.

His front remained out of site


sight, not site.

~

Hope this helped
-Ita




Annapurna says...


Hi Judas, thanks a lot for the feedback! I agree, it is rather confusing from the readers perspective but as it was a dream I wasn't sure if I should leave it like so but what you said really helps :) I'm happy you noticed the idea of it being peaceful at the begin to contrast with the end and it still needs some work. Also certain things such as the Mindless, in this chapter, link to previous events in the story (which may also be why it's a bit confusing) and I'll work on playing with the darker emotions. I haven't written in the form of a dream before so thanks again for the advice :)



Judas says...


pleasure is mine




"Please put me in the quote generator whenever you like."
— SirenCymbaline the Kiwi