z

Young Writers Society



...

by TakeThatYouFiend


...


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
172 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 172

Donate
Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:07 pm
Laure wrote a review...



Hai Fiend! Laure here as requested, now I haven't reviewed for a good few days so my reviewing is a tag rusty. As you know, I'm not Hannah so my poetic reviews aren't that great but I shall try my best!

First off, I would like to comment on the content of this haiku. I'm generally a person who opposes people writing suicide poems because come on, is just so depressing. But because you're trying out a new genre, I shall forgive you for it. There isn't much that I want to say that hasn't been said already, your poem overall seems to be pretty ambiguous but the intention is clear. I like your use of language throughout the poem, as it creates a mood that compliments the ambiguity of the poem.

This poem on the whole, I feel like could be expanded a lot more to me. The first stanza, seems to play on the whole idea of imagery and metaphors. Which is great, but is too vague to convey any true meaning. The central message of that seems to be, that ignorance is bliss. Great, what's next?

The second stanza, is even more vague than the first one. I know it plays on the idea of death and whether if is just nothing or a type of release or something along those lines. But once again, I think is too vague to be anything but a few ideas.

Overall, I like it but I see no true meaning to this as if yet. But it packs potential, so I'd love to read this if you ever expand it. And of course, your language is lovely.

-Laure




User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 556
Reviews: 15

Donate
Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:10 pm
View Likes
CarbRundum wrote a review...



I'll try to make a review for this poem (or at least what I call a review). First off, I like the style, since, let's be honest, no one writes haikus anymore (or at least it seems that way). All though I'm not the biggest fan of the style in English (it works better in Asian languages, with only one syllable per character), you were able to make it work, and quite well at that. I like how you compare the temptation of suicide as a way to escape pain to a dove in the mind. I also enjoy the lines ''Nothing is release,/Release from reality?/Nothing is nothing.'' One other thing that makes this poem unique is the fact that at the end, the narrator chooses against suicide. In most poems of this genre, the author ultimately decides to end his or her own life, but the fact that you let the narrator survive was quite refreshing. I don't think that it was necessary to make the second and last lines in the last four lines rhyme. I also enjoy the author's note at the end, as that helps clarify would is happening, as the poem isn't exactly very clear the first reading. One last thing, I like how it's punctuated, as every time I review a poem without punctuation, that's always one of my complaints.






Thanks for your review, don't forget to like! The rhyme was almost accidental, or at least subconscious, but once it was there I decided to leave it :-)



User avatar
60 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 60

Donate
Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:15 pm
View Likes
therealme wrote a review...



Wow. This is really brilliant! I think I'll do this by going over every line rather commenting on it as a whole straight away :)

Rose scented Death tempts,

I love the short lines of this poem. It somehow makes every word seem more significant. It's great that you contrasted the sweetness of a rose to the harsh temptation of death. What an excellent way to open a poem.

It plays in the mind, a dove.

This got me thinking. A dove is the symbol of peace. So the person in this poem believes that death will give him/her peace and an easy way out. It's a really thoughtful poem.

To know naught is bliss.

Again, like the previous line, it shows the same message and belief. Good work for using the word 'naught' instead of something obvious like 'nothing' or 'death'. I haven't seen that word in poetry for a long time.

Nothing is release,

The definition of the word release is: allow or enable to escape from confinement; set free. So nothing is freedom and escape from confinement. This speaks a lot of truth. I love this line so much!

Release from reality?

This is where I think you might be repeating yourself. I understand you want to link the release to reality, but their might be a more subtle and interesting way to do that. I don't know, just my opinion :)

Nothing is nothing.

For some strong and unknown reason I am in love with this line. Don't change it because even though it is simple it still means so much and it is one of the perfections of this poem.

And that's all it'll ever be.

Wow. I love how you left it like this. It's so beautiful and concludes the poem with such a simple statement. It's final and I found it almost bitter-sweet, like the person in the poem hoped that nothing is all nothing is, because that is what she wants to be and where she wants to go.


It takes real skill to create a short and simple poem with a deeper meaning underneath, as well as provoke emotions from the reader. You have done both of these things wonderfully and I am very impressed. I know this isn't much of a review and is more of a reflection on the poem, but I hoped I helped some way or another :)

Keep the poems going 'cause you're amazing! xD






thanks, don't forget to like!




*cries into coffee*
— LadyLizz