12+

Untitled Story 2:1

by FluttershyFan

I open my eyes. I look around wildly, seeing the world in only a mess of colors. It feels like only a second ago, the guard lady stabbed me. Then, I see a man. He isn't like a blur like the rest of the world. He actually looks like an older me. Same auburn hair, same hazel eyes, same sturdy build. He did have a fuzzy beard and thick eyebrows, though. He's wearing flannel cargo pants, a red plaid, long-sleeved shirt and brown leather shoes.I just then realize he was my father.

How could that be? I think in alarm. He's dead. Unless... I push the thought from my mind. How could I be dead? I still feel conscious.

"Dad?" I ask.

"Jay!" He cries. He runs over to me. Then he frowns. "Wait a minute." He says. His eyebrows furrow. "If you're here, then..." He trails off. "Oh no." He puts his head in his hands. It seems to just be dawning that I'm probably dead. "I look away for one minute..." he mumbles to himself.

"Wait, were you somehow watching me?" I ask.

"There's not much else to do here except watch people live and talk to other people who are already dead. I'm known for my quote: Youth is wasted on the living. It's a big hit among the dead. Anyway, here we are. Any questions?"

"So, I am dead." I feel my heart beat faster. I am dead! I feel like I want to scream or run or do something but I feel paralyzed in place. I could hardly find the will to talk. "Can I interact with the living in any way?" I squeak.

"Nope." My dad says bluntly. "But wanna see something?"

I force my head to nod. My dad cups his hands and slowly pulls them apart. An image forms between his hands. A person I recognize was in the image. It is a torn up me! I stare in awe at my dead body. It's being carried on a stretcher. My shirt was off and there was a most horrifying sight. There was shredder skin along with blood and pus coming out of a deep gash in my back. The bandage was taken off my arm and I felt as though I could puke. My arm looked as though it was almost torn off. Bits of skin hung limp and the whole section was stained with blood and still dripping.

"Why do I have to watch this?" I say with disgust at the image before me.

"Because if you don't, you will loose all memory of who you used to be. Then you will be taken to the house of reforming and turned into a brainless slave for the dead so that nobody escapes into the living." Dad explains.

"Fine" I admit. "That seems like a pretty good reason."

I watch as my mangled body was thrown into a hastily assembled wooden box. Two people then lowered the box into a hole with a large stone by the top.

"So this is what happens after death." I say, trying to make conversation.

"Well, in a way. When you die, before you are brought anywhere, your good and bad deeds are weighted against each other. If they are relatively even, you come here. If your good out weighs your bad, you go to a sort of utopia and is the bad weighs more, you go to hell." Dad says

"Ugh. I would have more fun in jail." I say.

"Complaining won't do you any good." My dad says. "You can still talk to others who are dead.Now go find something constructive to do with your death."

BellaRoma wrote a review...

Oh-kay. You just killed your main character, was not expecting that. By doing that the whole way I thought the story was going to go has changed COMPLETELY but... I love a good plot twist.
The twist was well handed and I guess it had the effect you were angling for. Looking forward to reading more of this. Well done.
As to titles 'The Living And The Dead' could work but it might give too much away. Just thinking about this divide you've painted between them and our world. Like people have already said, this will probably be about overcoming the divide.
Good luck.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:36 am
gabby wrote a review...

Hey um..... I'm Gabby and I would like to say that I surprisingly enjoyed your story. I was a little hesitant at reading the next little chapters after reading the first one, but I found myself gaining a little interest as I kept reading. I feel as though your plot line got more interesting as you continued to read which I assume you planned it like that. I can see how the plot line could lead you to a novel. There are grammatical errors here and there and a little fixing up, but I believe with just a little more work in this that it could be a hit. The whole idea of the dead not contacting living , but with each other does spark an interest in me! You could make it how Jay finally breaks that barrier and ends up communicating with living !!! Causing things like monsters or demons to go after him for disturbing the balance between these two realms . You could also put a love story into it with the guard or not. I mean...I'm just blabbing on , but I could totally see a future for this plot line!!!!! I really like it. If you make this longer than I will defiantly read this.

Question: What time period is this happening in? (If it is obvious then I apologize for being stupid

I enjoy your story.
Keep it up.

you are not stupid for asking the time period. I have chosen that to be an element of the reader's imagination and to be honest, you can choose. Sorry about the grammar. I was never good at that.

SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...

Hello again Flutter, Wolf here for a review.

As usual, I shall start off with some nitpicks.

I open my eyes. I look around wildly, seeing the world in only a mess of colors.

This is kind of choppy. Okay, the first paragraph in general is mind of choppy. These two sentences could easily combined, just to help the flow a but more.
He isn't like a blur like the rest of the world.

The first 'like' can be removed, it will just sound better.
I just the realize he was my father.

Cut out 'the' and this sentence will make much more sense.
A person I recognize.

This is a really strange fragment. You could say, "The image is someone I recognize," or, "I recognize the person in the image," or even, "It's a person I recognize."
...who are dead.Now go find...

Space between 'dead' and 'Now'.

Alright , with those nitpicks out of the way, onto content. This is a really cool and unique idea, but really, and I'm not trying to be mean, this is more of a shell or skeleton of what a chapter should be. I understand its only a portion of one, and that's why it's not very long, but all parts of a novel chapter have to have a balance between the elements: thought, action, description, and dialogue.

So, first thoughts and emotions. This character, Jay, just died. I seriously doubt anyone would be that calm. In the beginning I can understand that he's confused and all, but really, when he found out he should be freaking out, or at least a normal person would.

Next is dialogue. A lot of dialogue is added in here, but I don't feel any emotion in this dialogue. Most of the tags onto it are 'he says' or 'I say'. Try to add some different tags. Possibly, 'I cry, scream, roar, shout, laugh, joke, etc.' Also, this interaction doesn't seem very realistic to me. Alright, he dead, and he's just seen his dad again, after who knows how long. Jay just seems neutral. Neither happy nor upset. I don't understand why he wouldn't be freaking out at the moment.

Actions are self explanatory, and I feel you did a nice job with those. Narrating those isnt very hard, but by no means easy. They flow well together.

Finally, descriptions. I noticed barely any. Sure, we're given a basic run down of what Jay's father looks like, but that's it. Does he have a beard? What's he wearing? Is he tall? Are his feet abnormally large? Add the little things. I get that you can't describe where he is, because Jay frankly doesn't know where he is. Always remember to show, not tell.

Overall, your topic is quite interesting. With some touching up on the points I mentioned, this can become much more interesting that it already is. Good luck and Keep Writing,
~Wolfare

When a good man is hurt, all who would be called good must suffer with him.
— Euripides