z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Hannibal: A Hero

by dragonfphoenix


My entry for the Hunger Games challenge, an acrostic poem.

“Carthage must be destroyed.”

Against my homes they

Railed.

Three wars they fought with me.

Hannibal was more than

A hero, he was a

God.

Everyone feared his elephants.

.

Hannibal’s elephants versus the

Alps? No match,

Nor Pyrenees,

Nor Trebia, Cannae, or Trasimene.

If any man should rule—Hannibal.

But that blasted desert scorpion,

Africanus,

Linched him in Zama.

.

Barca, bygone child of mine,

Athena would be proud.

Rome razed my home of

Carthage, because they could not face

A hero like you.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
65 Reviews


Points: 607
Reviews: 65

Donate
Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm
wtppowers wrote a review...



Mr. Powers with the review! This is a great acrostic. Though I know nothing of Hannibal, and only a few fragments about the sack of Carthage, I can tell that this is an epic piece of work. You paint Hannibal in an immortal portrait, as someone who will live on for centuries to come.
The speaker is a citizen of Carthage and an admirer of Hannibal. He's saying how Hannibal was unstoppable until a scorpion came around and killed him. Which leads me to my one problem with this poem. Could you explain who or what Africanus is? And I think it should be "Lynched" with a y, because I've never seen "Linched" up until now (Google Chrome even thinks it's spelled wrong).
Anyway, the poem ends with the speaker commending the hero (Hannibal, I suppose) and condemning Rome, the soldiers of which razed Carthage.




User avatar
93 Reviews


Points: 184
Reviews: 93

Donate
Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:20 pm
Sylar says...



This is awesome! We just learned about Hannibal in school :)






That's awesome! Hannibal's one of my favorite history topics. (Awesome avvie, btw. I'm going to watch The End of Time Pt. 2 for the first time tonight, hopefully. :) )





Thanks!



User avatar
179 Reviews


Points: 15489
Reviews: 179

Donate
Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:10 pm
r4p17 wrote a review...



Squire r4 here to review and help you half way out of the Green Room, Dragon.

“Carthage must be destroyed.”

I recomend that you remove the quotation marks that you inserted here.

"Against my homes they
Railed."

I believe that railed should go alongside they.

"Hannibal was more than
A hero, he was a
God."

You have the same problem right here. Also you should put a small "g" in God since Hannibal is not and was not the one true God.

"If any man should rule—Hannibal."

This is a fragment here. You should put "Hannibal should."

I hope these few nitpicks I pointed out help. I beg to differ with you in the third stanza of the poem. Hannibal's elephants were gone by the end of Trebia if I remember correctly. I know for certain that they were all gone by the end of Trasimene. However I still get the point of what you are trying to say. I suggest that you should change "Hannibal's elephants to "Hannibal's troops". It won't really change the intentional meaning much.

My overall impression was a pretty good poem though slightly innacurate. But don't take the historically inaccurate part personally. I am just extremely particular that everthing must be historically true. I hope this helps. Well I guess that's everthing I have to say. Happy writing!!! :)






Thanks for the review!
Quick notes: one, this is an acrostic, so "railed" is where it should be. Two, oops on accuracy, but Art isn't always accurate (no excuse, I know). Three, all the lines are capitalized, regardless of mechanics.
Thanks again! *blasts off to more replying*



r4p17 says...


Ok. I was a little bit confused about why you capitalized the "G" though that makes sense




In the winter months, snowstorms and rainfall in the Patagonian Ice Fields can drastically affect the landscape. Worsened by heavy winds, such storms can reduce visibility and lead to glacial calving, ice collapses, and avalanches. During these conditions, travel is not advised.
— The Documentarian