16+ Language Violence Mature Content

The Pact, Prologue

by horrendous

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language, violence, and mature content.

author's note: i realize that reading a rehashed version of the same story over and over again is monotonous. this will be my final rewrite of The Pact's prologue. i recieved some good advice from Rosey Unicorn to just push through and finish a first draft, so that's what i'm going to do.

also, i'd like to thank my girlfriend, Mary, for encouraging me to pick up writing again. i love you, babe.

1

Despite his love for war and blood, the soldier lived for only one reason. To protect his family was his self-appointed charge, and his reason for delving into his finely honed craft of killing after burying it for so long.

Those goddamn animals, the soldier thought with a grimace, grasping his wounded arm which still bled anemically, despite heavy bandaging. Each footfall of the horse below him sent fresh pangs of pain through his bicep, but that might as well have been in a different world. He had long ago learned to either ignore pain or thrive on it, and since there were nothing to focus his killer instinct on, he chose the former.

I've never fought such a brutal foe. It's like they fight entirely on instinct.

He grinned grimly.

Lucky for me most of them couldn't follow their instincts out of a dark room. I must truly be getting soft to let them mark me.

He'd been traveling since that afternoon, and it was now halfway to dusk. He had left the battlefield after a throng of barbarians had temporarily overpowered him and managed to gravely wound him. His right arm hung in a sling and would barely move, even with great effort.

The soldier's long goatskin traveling cloak flapped in a light breeze, his short black hair rippling. A muted sound, like a steady mechanical heartbeat droned monotonously from a pack which was seated behind the saddle. In it the soldier's armor rattled in time with the horse's stride.

The plains rolled on for endless acres, and the peace they offered were welcome to the lone rider. He realized his train of thought was becoming a bit disgruntled and switched his focus to something else. It's something he taught himself to do when his daughter was born.

I'll see you soon, little one.

He smiled.

Karlya.

Lost in thought, the soldier failed to notice a figure leaning against a dead, withering tree on the side of the road about thirty yards ahead. Around the figure, the green grass turned colorless and limp.

I hope she's been doing alright without me. She's so fragile... but she has her big sister to watch out for her. Thank the gods for Ellyn, she's so good to Karlya. I'm glad we were lucky enough to -

"Heading back already? Had your fill of death, then?"

Startled, the soldier's body tensed and he grasped the hilt of his weapon, a greatsword which hung to the side of his saddle. He quickly acquired where the voice had come from - damn, had he been there all along?

"Identify yourself!" he called, the sudden ruination of his train of thought putting him in a foul temper.

He kicked the sides of his steed and rode up close to the cloaked figure, drawing his greatsword. A hood covered the stranger's face.

"Have you something to say?" spat the soldier.

"Plenty," replied the stranger, "But you're clearly not ready to listen."

The soldier pointed his blade at the stranger's neck, holding it perfectly steady in one hand.

"Show your face or die where you stand."

The stranger looked up at his assailant, who was taken aback by what he saw. It was a mask, long, white and without decoration. Two narrow horizontal slits were placed over the eyes, three vertical ones over the mouth. The soldier saw a light trail of smoke drifting from either eye slit, and a red glow from beneath them. He stared in disbelief, eyes widening.

"I see I have your attention, Adremalech."

"That's... how do you know that name? Answer, demon!"

The stranger grunted laughter. "Or what? You'll slay me single-handedly? I wouldn't be so confident. But enough pleasantries. I'm here to warn you, Adre. You're heading toward your fate at this very moment."

Adre flushed with anger and dismounted in a hurried leap. He approached the stranger and held his blade out behind him, ready to strike.

"I'm going to be the last person you see in this life if you don't start making sense! How do you know my name!?"

"That's unimportant. What is important is that you're going to have to make a choice. You will either damn the world or save it, depending on what you choose."

Adre's anger overflowed and he swung down at the stranger, who knocked the blade away with one armored hand. The greatsword was flung into the distance, leaving Adre defenseless. The stranger stepped forward and grasped the front of Adre's cloak, a heavy, dark gauntlet encasing his hand. He lifted Adre off his feet, and the glow beneath the stranger's mask seemed to intensify.

"Listen to me, Adre!", commanded the stranger. "If you choose the dark path, the world as you know it will end. A tidal wave of destruction will consume all that you know. Do you understand?"

Adre nodded, confused. The stranger released him and he flopped to the ground and staggered backward.

"One way or the other, you're going to die tonight. Remember, you must resist the temptation of the dark path. This world depends on it."

The stranger turned and began walking in the opposite direction that Adre had come.

"Wait!", Adre called after him. "What do you mean? What dark path? How will this world end?"

The stranger made no reply. Adre felt no incentive to chase him - he had been overpowered so easily. Instead he gathered his sword, sheathed it and climbed back atop his horse. When he looked back over his shoulder, the stranger was gone.

2

The city-state of Ophem was a densely packed metropolis, the capitol of a small but powerful territory. Rich veins of tin, copper and iron, used to make strong alloys, were discovered when the first Western settlers made their homes there. The wealth of metal ore allowed for the small army to be better equipped than most other city-states, although, until recently, no full-scale warfare had been conducted in centuries. Ophem was the keystone of an Alliance of city-states, which banded together to strengthen themselves against foreign invaders.

The reason for the most recent outbreak of fighting was the invasion of the Eastern barbarians. Compared to the civilized Alliance, the barbarians of the undeveloped regions were savage and ruthless. It was long believed that unassociated individual clans fought one another for rights to land, although when they were first encountered by the Alliance, representatives from many clans arrived to unequivically deny them entry to their territory. Since then the Alliance has for the most part ignored their Eastern neighbors. However, it seems that the myriad clans have again united and chosen to forcibly annex Pyrite, the territory of the Alliance. The barbarians outnumbered Alliance forces ten to one, and only superior armor and weaponry had allowed them to turn away the barbarian advance.

Now Adre was entering the outskirts of Ophem, his encounter with the stranger fresh in his mind.

He must have been a demon, no mortal could have disarmed me like he did. Do I trust his word? He could be tricking me. But... I can't imagine what he'd gain from lying to me. What choice... how will I bring about the end of the world...

Adre grunted in frustration.

None of this matters. Karlya is waiting for me, that's what's important.

More and more huts and houses began appearing on the horizon, with their denizens tending to chores all around them. Mostly women, children and the infirm remained. Many able bodied men joined the military when the barbarians invaded, including Adre himself. He'd left Karlya in the care of their neighbor's daughter, Ellyn, who was like a big sister to her. They spent all their time together and Adre was thankful Karlya found someone she got along with. She was a young and very quiet girl and didn't make friends easily.

Adre was now passing into Ophem proper. The dirt path he'd been traversing was being replaced by a cobblestone road. Stone abodes and shops lined the road on either side, and the streets were bustling with activity. Street vendors showed off their wares, children scurried about and a caravan was passing out of the city. Adre moved to the opposite side of the street to avoid it. Up ahead was the smithy where Adam the apprentice was out manning the forge.

"Adam!", Adre called as he approached.

Adam's head perked up and he looked around with a vacant expression. He shielded his eyes from the sun and squinted in Adre's direction. When he'd identified his favorite customer, his face lit up and he stepped around the anvil he had been pounding on.

"Adre!", he called in a slurred voice. "How ya doin', old pal?"

Adam noticed Adre's injured arm and his dismay was evident on his face.

"Aw, Adre, your arm! What happen?"

Adre stopped his horse in front of the shop.

"What, this? Nothing to fret over. How goes business?"

"Uhh, well, business has been boomin' since the fighting started. Lots and lots of orders!"

Adam giggled happily.

"Your order is almost ready too! Wanna see it?"

"Not now, I'm on my way back home to see Karlya. I'll give her your regards, Adam."

"Okay, old buddy. See you later!"

Adre nodded and continued on his way. He wasn't far from home now.

3

Adre dismounted his steed and tied it off on the front porch of his abode. In his excitement to see his daughter, the earlier encounter was totally absent from his conscious mind. It was now dark and he saw no light coming from inside. Karlya and Ellyn were asleep, then.

Adre mounted the steps and tried the door. It was unlatched and he pushed it open. Those forgetful girls; it was dangerous to leave the door open.

Adre entered and removed his traveling cloak, hanging it on a stand in the corner of the entry hall. He waited for his eyes to adjust some and walked to a table with a candle on it. He reached into his pocket and produced a matchbook, striking one on his pantleg and using it to light the candle. A soft glow permeated the room.

Adre took the candle and had begun walking down the hall when he stepped in something wet. He took a step back and looked down. A dark liquid was on the floor, forming a path into the main chamber. He inhaled rapidly and tried to look into the chamber, but the candlelight did not reach that far.

"Karlya! Karlya, where are you!?" Adre dropped the candle and sprinted into the main chamber. His eyes had adjusted enough that he could see the horrors therein.

Two vague shapes lay on the floor, a pool of what could only be blood surrounding each. One shape was much smaller than the other. On the wall, drawn in blood, was an emblem of the barbarians.

"No...", Adre said, shaking his head in slow movements. "No, no, no!"

He hurried over to the smaller shape and knelt down beside it. In the darkness, he identified the floral dress that Ellyn had given Karlya for her seventh birthday.

"Little one...", Adre breathed, his face contorting and his eyes welling up. He held his arms over the corpse and hesitated.

It can't be, this can't happen, why, this isn't happening

He gently lay his trembling hand on the corpse and rolled it over. His daughter's head lolled limply over and faced him. Her eyes to open and wet. Adre's face became one of pure misery and a long moan escaped him.

"Karlya! No, Karlya, please wake up, wake up little one!"

He placed his hand upon her cheek and stroked it, as if to console her.

"Karlya..." Adre loosed an inarticulate howl, looking up at the ceiling. He collapsed on his daughter's corpse and wept.

4

When Adre's sobs had ceased, he slowly rose to his feet. His encounter with the stranger played through his mind. So, he had been telling the truth after all.

Adre stepped away from his daughter's corpse, his boots squelching in her blood. He walked like a man without resolve into his bed chamber and stood before a chest at the foot of his bed. He knelt and opened the chest. In it was a short sword and various pieces of armor. Adre grasped the short sword by the hilt in his good hand and placed the blade to his neck.

I'll see you soon, Karlya.

Now now, soldier, don't be so hasty! a silky yet powerful voice chimed in his head.

Don't you want to avenge her? Don't you want to slaughter those who did this? Sure you do, soldier, I can feel it.

Who speaks to me?

One who can give you the ability to achieve your revenge. You need power, and I can give it to you.

Are you a god? Do you want me to use me as a plaything?

Surely not! You're much more important than a plaything. I want to give you this power so that, after you've exacted your revenge, you can serve me loyally. What do you say, soldier?

Adre considered. Yes, he did want revenge. The barbarians had done this... he had to make them pay. But the stranger's warning...

Damn this world. Without her in it, it has no worth anymore. I agree to your terms. Give me the strength to avenge Karlya and I will serve you.

Adre could feel the entity smile maliciously in his mind.

Very well. The first step is to die, and since that was about to happen anyway, I assume this will be no issue for you. Remove your heart.

Adre smiled humorlessly. He somehow understood how he was to do it. He dropped the short sword and placed his hand over his heart. He formed a spade with his fingers and began to press inward. His fingers sank easily into his chest, and rivulets of blood began to trickle down his chest. Adre grimaced in pain.His fingertips met bone and slowly broke through. He doubled over and groaned, still pressing further. He reached his heart, formed a claw around it and squeezed tight. His heart beat rapidly in his grip. He slowly tore it from its place, moaning in pain. Veins and arteries were severed and blood began to pour from his chest. His head began to swim his consciousness faded.

Not so fast, soldier! You're not going under on me, are you?

Adre felt an explosive pang of pain in his head and he snapped back to reality.

Bastard!

I can't have you passing out, soldier. Continue.

Adre's hand emerged from his chest, his heart still beating weakly. Suddenly all phsyical pain left him. He held his heart before him, panting heavily as coldness seized him.

That wasn't so bad, eh, soldier? Say, are you hungry?

In fact, Adre was ravenous. He focused on his heart and felt his mouth filling with saliva. He brought his heart to his mouth and lapped up the blood spurting from it.

Delicious...

Adre bit down and tore a chunk of flesh from his heart. He chewed methodically and swallowed. A fresh surge of energy flooded his body and his face lit up.

Amazing! I feel amazing! I feel the power!

But of course. You are my servant now, which means you'll be very hard to kill. However, if you intend on living long, you'll have to satisfy that new hunger of yours. Now, you've got a long road ahead of you. Chop chop, look alive!

Adre grinned, his bloody teeth gleaming. He noticed he could move his arm freely now. He ripped his arm from the sling, opening and closng his hand.

I'll avenge you, Karlya. With this new power I'll be unstoppable.

Hades looked on, satisfied.

Alchemist wrote a review...

Hey! You some time ago answered on my plea for a material to review, sorry for taking it so long. Also, I felt free to post your novel into clubs/1946/wall so you might be lucky and get some more reviewers! Now, on with my review:

1. It is exceptionally well written. I have no stylish complaints, it was enjoyable and grapped me. I love how he didn't notice such a strange person, demon perhaps. And I love it how the demon was straightforward, I did something similar in my novel. :P

2. I'm glad you included the worldbuilding into the prologue, this part is also really good. There is one sentence that bugs me thought.

Why this one? It doesn't belong here, I feel like it is completely random. Feels like it belongs to pokemon rather "Ash Ketchum just reached lavander town, still thinking of his combat with Gary". Ehh it sounds more harsh than I wanted it to be. Maybe something like "Still Shaken after the encounter with the strane man, Adre had finally reached his hometown." Though it still sounds cheesy, just give it a bit more thinking if you feel like.

3. I was disappeared at first becouse he gets to see his daughter so soon. But then... Damn, this was a heartbreaking part. I'm just really confused about how barbarians would kill someone mid town. Also I think this part didn't need to be separated from the 2nd.

4. Wow part. What I love about it the most, is that it leaves so many opportunities. I mean, I feel like this is a setup, this voice is what killed his family, just to control him. But he might be aware of it, thus accepting power to defeat the voice. Wonderful part.

I love your prologue, it is actually really what you'd expect the prologue to be like. You introduced the worldbuilding, raised many questions. Nice, I like it, I will hopefully reach other parts soon.

-Alchemist

horrendous says...

the murder of Karlya will be explained more later.

do you really think the "entering Ophem" part is that bad? i never really noticed. i'll do something with it in the next draft.

and you're catching onto the plot quite quickly. whether your assumption is true or not is revealed somewhere in chapter 1.

glad you enjoyed the piece, i look forward to hearing your feedback on the next part.

Alchemist says...

Hmm, I don't think it was bad, but this single sentece seemed significantly worse then the rest of the story. Maybe its just me.

It's good that I only caught up to something that was soon to be revealed. :)

I will be on them soon!

Unique wrote a review...

"I've never fought such a brutal foe. It's like they fight entirely on instinct." I love this sentence, it is basic and supreme in action at the same time.

"I'll avenge you, Karlya. With this new power I'll be unstoppable." Same as the sentence above it is basic but cool and flowing.

The plot is interesting, and I love all of the description. The description is beautiful and created imagery that I love. You balanced the two powers in stories perfectly; conversations and imagery. You talked and then described, talked then described. It was amazing.

Keep on writing like this. I really want to see more!

horrendous says...

wow, thanks so much. parts 1 and 2 of chapter 1 are also posted on this site if you're interested. thanks for the kind review!

Unique says...

You're welcome!

joshuapaul wrote a review...

I'll give you a general impression and a couple of suggestions, because this is rather long and I'm guessing your novel will be rather long so it would be a good idea to be mindful of small things you can do as a writer to make sure the first draft is as strong as possible.

With that said, I am of the school of thought that novel writing should be an exploration rather than a demonstration. The novelist (particularly the beginning novelist) should write with direction but without a map. That is to say, I'm not a fan of meticulously plotted stories because the affect can be artificial and forced, like climbing a well worn indoor climbing wall as opposed to a sharp rock face, finding your hold points as you go.

The reason exploration works well is new and uncharted themes and ideas can emerge, that need only to be nurtured and tweaked in iteration cycles, rewriting and editing. You will find as you write, a general pull or direction come about. You will also find -- as many novelists have attested to -- your character's actions will at times surprise even you, their creator. So why babble about the act of creating the work? I thought this was a review... you may be thinking. Well the truth is, even in the act of creating a novel, despite my belief that it should be for most part spontaneous, you can make sure that you get things right in the first draft, particularly if you happen to be showing the first draft to friends, associates and random's like me.

So here's what you need to look out for.

The passive voice -- Avoid it.

Why? Because it slows down the action and nudges the reader out of the scene.
This doesn't happen a lot and in some forms of the craft, it's not so important to keep your prose in the active voice. As a rule of thumb until you have your own readers and your own style, it's best to avoid the passive voice, unless a) you wish to evoke a certain affect, be it satirical or historical or whatever, or you are talking about universal and overarching truths that are well established schema and come burdened with an endless loop of images such as:
Germany was defeated
The Roman empire was great
Jesus was crucified

Here's a couple of early examples:

To protect his family was his self-appointed charge

could be

He took on the burden himself of protecting his family

that of course is a too easy fix and I'm sure you could come up with something much better.

Adre was now passing into Ophem proper.

could be

Adre passed into Ophem proper.

Now you may be thinking but so and so, author of such and such great work used the passive voice for affect. To which I would reply he wrote in a time where that was the style, he already had this many books and an agent that pounded his head against his desk every time he encountered the word 'was.' He was the exception not the rule

Okay, next. Tautology, the old foe of the verbose. But seriously, even in a first draft and as you write you should be able to recognise when a word is not needed. Don't overstate things, trust your readers to fill in the blanks.

Those goddamn animals, the soldier thought with a grimace,

With a grimace is a waste of words. Who is there to see him grimace? Why is it important? We can imagine his pain from the next line when he grasps his wounded arm, so we can imagine him grimacing or in a certain level of discomfort. This happens a lot, you say the same thing twice, not layering the prose with texture but burdening it with adjectives and there's a fine line between the two. Textured prose is made by making different observations, using different words and describing key scenes from different angles, not by adding unnecessary and extraneous observations.

Next: Sentence structure.
You seem to structure your sentences with the intent of varying sentence length but without consideration of logic and syntax.

Picking up where we left off, let's see what you have done:
Those goddamn animals, the soldier thought with a grimace grasping his wounded arm which still bled anemically, despite heavy bandaging.

There is too much happening in one sentence. You have loaded each slot in the sentence. Let's look at this as a simple sentence.

"The soldier thought of the animals as he held a wound to his arm."

Now let's add a number so we can break the sentence into slots.

"1(The soldier) 2(thought of) 3(the animals) as 4(he held) 5(a cut to) 6(his arm)"

We have two clauses, each with three slots. Object, Verb, Subject. Now you can add description and weight to any slot. In fact you add weight to any two or three slots but as soon as you add too much weight/description to too many slots, the image is clouded and the reader is lost. So let's add a little salt and pepper but not too much

eg I will load slot 3 and 5...

"The soldier thought of the animals, with their heavy swords and dark eyes as he held a the wound that wept a yellow pus ceaselessly through his fingers and down his arm."

Or let's load 1 and 6

"The thin soldier, who sat slumped forward over his saddle, thought of the animals as he held a cut to his trembling arm when the hair had already hardened with dried blood and pus still weeped down to his wrist."

2 and 4

"The soldier pondered with an disgruntled and stubborn air the animals, while he gripped as though life itself was seeping through his fingers a cut to his arm"

That's not so bad but as soon as you add all of them, well you'll see what I mean...

"The thin soldier, who sat slumped forward over his saddle, pondered with a disgruntled and stubborn air the animals, with their heavy swords and dark eyes while he gripped as though life itself was seeping through his fingers a the wound that wept a yellow pus ceaselessly down his trembling arm where the hair had already hardened with dried blood."

It's not only purple, but the reader get's lost. It may be dramatically correct (or in this case it may not be) but that's beside the point. You need to find some focus in each sentence. What do you want to say? What's important? What can you do without? What details are going to create a more complete image in the readers mind?

I've made a couple more suggested edits to the paragraph in question below:

God damn animals, the soldier thought. His face grew into a grimace as he clutched at the laceration to his forearm. Blood rose through the bandages and steeped his knuckles. Perhaps it was the tightening of his knees or the loose way he held the reigns but the horse between his knees seemed to intuitively sense his discomfort, adjusting itself to a rhythmic gait. However a fresh wave of pain traced the bones of his arm with each footfall. He concentrated, as he had learned to do over the years, balling the pain in the base of his throat and swallowing it. His mind became suddenly clear and focussed.

Whilst the intention to vary sentence length is an attentive one, the medicine can be worse than the disease. That is to say quick fixes and replacing periods with conjunctions can be much worse than the dull thudding of repetitive short sentences of subject verb object.
He bought the car. He drove it home to show his wife. He pulled into the driveway and noticed his wife's car was not there. Whilst it can be distracting it's no worse than run on sentences and tacking on descriptions needlessly. So be weary of what you can and can not get away with, find a middle ground that works.

I hope this all helps, novel writing is far too tedious to go it alone.

JP

horrendous says...

these are all great suggestions and i'll take them to heart as i continue writing. thanks!

I know history. There are many names in history, but none of them are ours.
— Richard Siken