Elephant baby

by Alchemist

Guys, this is literally the first thing that came ouf of my mind that was written down...with some help of my mother. I was superb young when I "wrote" this masterpiece,maybe two or three years old, but I will remember it forever. It sounds a bit different on my language, but I found a way to translate it.

When I step on the elephant baby,

I can touch the ceiling, maybe.

And the one on my mother language too:

Kad stanem na bebu slona,

ja dopipnem do plafona.

I'm so happy writing this down somewhere, so many years later! Yay!

Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:38 am
Mysticalxx wrote a review...

For a three year old, it's really good! It rhymes AND makes sense, like who you get taller when you step on the elephant and can reach the ceiling.

What is your mother language? Just curious, cos' I don't understand what it is from the words given below.
If you could write minor poetry at such a young age, who knows what you can do now? :D

Keep it up!

Mysticalxx

Ashkitten83 says...

Love it. 2 lines of brilliance.

RoxieRain wrote a review...

This is so cute. I love it. And you probably have gotten this a ton by now but what is your language? I think it is super cute that it rhymes too. I can't write rhyming poems and I am fifteen. So amazing job. It is also very fun to find things that you have written or draw or things like that from when you were very little. Just to see the differences and similarities from you now and you when you were a kid.
Keep up the fun and creative writing! :-)
-Roxie Rain

Brunnera wrote a review...

This was so sudden, yet so adorable and heart-warming for some reason. Even the translation indicates such originality. It was so simple, yet pleasantly abrupt. Congratulations for making it to the spotlight!
I can't believe you wrote it when you were two or three though. Maybe it indicates you born a poetry writer :)

Anyway, nice work.

~Brunnera

Renard wrote a review...

This work fills me full of questions.
I know you explain at the beginning that this is completely like unhampered by thought layout, but at the same time it works.
So firstly: what or who is the elephant baby? Does this bear any relation to the elephant man?

I can touch the ceiling, maybe.

This line is confusing but very interesting at the same time. It kind of suggests that the character is inhibited in some way - but you don't say how. I like the mysterious tone of the piece.

And the one on my mother language too:

Kad stanem na bebu slona,

ja dopipnem do plafona.
I have no idea what this says. I hope it has some more personal meaning to you. But it made me laugh. Lulz. XDD

So many years later after what????
Come on, you have to write a report to answer these questions! LOL

~BSF

Alchemist says...

Oh, you got so confused right there! XD

The whole poem is:
When i step on the elephant baby,
i can touch the ceiling, maybe.

The one you didn't understand was the translation of that poem! xD

I came up with this when i was two or three years old, and I randomly remembered it yesterday. Im 20 now, so after many years.

I can see that it is confusing; who would expect a two-line poem? :D

And the baby elephant is...really young elephant?
I'm glad that you wrote! :)

-Alchemist

Ah ha.
Makes sense now. Sorta.
Cool idea.

GreenLight24 says...

Aw. So cute. :)

Alchemist says...

I'm glad you think so, I was lovable kid! xD

GreenLight24 says...

Seems like it. :)

Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:44 am
Victinino494 wrote a review...

I'm not sure how to write a review for something so short, but I like it. First thing that strikes me about this poem is that I admire the 3-year-old Alchemist who wrote this, you must have been such an Elric-like genius!
Haha... But seriously, I love the way your imagination flowed from having an elephant, to having a baby elephant, then getting the elephant inside, standing on it somehow and then thinking of touching the roof. These days, people think too much about technicalities and rules and never think outside the box. It's actually really refreshing to see something outside the box that still makes perfect sense. Of course you might be able to touch the ceiling, depending on how tall you were.

In short, thank you for this poem, thank you for submitting it and thank you for writing it (Pass this message on to 3-year-old you, will ya?).

P.S. I am glad there was no rhyme, structure or meaning lost in translation ;)

Alchemist says...

To call one an Elric-like genius, there is no greater praise! :D

I'm glad you read it, and your review was really great! :)

Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:48 am

I absolutely ridiculously with an enormous amount of my heart love this poem. I love that you worked it out to rhyme in both languages, and how each version has the same jaunty meter, the same brief but powerful image.

You bring the reader in from the floor to the ceiling -- when you mention step, we think of feet and the floor, and "step on" brings us a little higher up to the elephant's back, and ceiling, of course brings us all the way up so you have drawn a line through the room that opens it up as a real, concrete space in our minds.

In addition, the heart of the image is one of hope, of reaching, of trying for something and that's gorgeous to accompany the image of a child at any time.

I feel like knowing that this poem was written by a young child, too, adds to the tone of the poem, and makes it feel soft and radiant.

So the only thing you need to think about now, I think, is what to do with this, and I have some suggestions. You can, of course, keep it personal and do whatever you like with it, but thinking of ways to USE this poem, I'm wondering if you have any background with art? You might frame a picture of the image of this poem in between these two sets of lines to sell as a decoration for a baby's room?

Another idea would be to work on creating a big set of poems like this to form a bilingual book to help people learn your mother language -- Croatian -- in a fun and easy to remember way. By having poems to associate with new vocabulary or grammar forms, and poems that are short and easy to memorize, it might help a lot of people study!

I hope these suggestions are useful to you. Otherwise, just know that I celebrate this poem, and your younger self was beautiful!
PM me if you have any questions/comments about my review.
Good luck and keep writing!

Hannah

Alchemist says...

Ohhhhh! You really didn't have to think this through this much! I really appreciate it though!

Your ideas are strange...and realy awesome! :D For a second, I could imagine the picture decorating the room of a baby. Actually, my uncle got a daugher recently and I might as well try to make it for her!

But it is somewhat personal, so I would never want to commercialize it. Any way.

And...if I can correct you, though it is really insignificant... The language is Serbian, not Croatian. But these two are actually just the same, its just well, that damn politics. I really didn't mind it! :)

Really, really thank you for taking your time to come up with this, you are awesome!

Hannah says...

Thanks for correcting me! I just brought the language to Google translate and asked it to detect the language for me, so it said Croatian. Sorry about that! Serbian!

Also, I totally understand about not wanting to commercialize it -- it's a beautiful personal piece. :) So I liked the artistic, personal gift idea a lot more, haha.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:20 am
Snowery wrote a review...

This is so cute! :D

*Edit*

It turns out that your poem really resonated with me because, I couldn't stop thinking about it and what it means. So here's my take :)

To me your poem summarises the very essence of being a child. To me one of the greatest thing about being a child is one's sense of wonder . Everything at that ages seems so interesting, so curious, so intriguing and you just want to reach out to grab it. Hence the image of babies and children always physically reaching out for something. Something higher than them, whether it be the cookie jar or their mother's necklace as she bends down to them. I feel like you poem greatly expresses this reaching out , this expression of wonder .

I also love how it depicts the boundlessness of childhood. I want to touch the ceiling so I shall step on an elephant. As children we build rockets to go to the moon, ride upon steeds to reach the castle or drive flying cars to go wherever we liked. An adult would never have indulged this notion, never really considered, because it is too strange, unbelievable, too... childish :) Which is why to me, the elephant in this poem represents imagination because with imagination one can reach boundless possibilities, one can touch the ceiling.

I love the the tone of the poem,as if the child is simply musing, wondering.

This really, really resonated with me. I know I'm probably reading way too deep into it but I just had to let it out I guess. :) Brilliant job!

Silverlock

Alchemist says...

Remembering this made my day! :D

Silverlock says...

Edited

Alchemist says...

Awww, this is so sweet! :D

And hey, isn't the thing with poetry that one can't read too deep into it. Everyone can feel it the way they want. :)

WHAT'S UP, POTATOES?
— Rudy (Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality)