Standing at the Edge of Tartarus

by stuckinwonderland22

The drop below her seemed to continue on forever; and endless abyss that had no visible end. To some, this abyss is frightening on unimaginable levels. But to others, it's as if the darkness is luring them in. After all, why not take the easy way out if you have the opportunity?

She could see the tunnel in the opposite direction leading out into the light which also looked tempting, but she knew all too well how deceiving that light really was. Suppose the key to everything was to no longer feel. No longer feel joy and the immense pleasures of life. No longer feel love or hate. But above all, no longer feel the excruciating pain of simply existing. So she stood there a while, not really thinking anything at all; just standing on the edge of the abyss wanting so badly to give into it; to not feel, but something held her back. There was a nagging at the back of her head telling her to look back one more time at the light behind her, but she held her ground.

Briefly she wondered about the many people before her who stood at this exact spot, if they decided to jump and if so, whether they were still falling or they had hit the bottom somehow. The only way to know was to jump herself. She knew all to well there was no going back if she moved her feet even the slightest bit of the ledge. It was bittersweet perhaps but it seemed like the best alternative. So much so, that it was like it was the only alternative.

She was decided then, she was going to let complete and utter darkness suck her in but she would look back once, and only once. So she turned and her eyes moved along the long, narrow platform that eventually led to the light and she saw it. She saw everything and everyone, all the people who were searching for her and calling her name. She knew that if she were to make her way back to the light, the journey would seem endless and she would be all alone. It might be even more painful than the journey it took to get to where she was standing now. Despite that, she told herself it was worth it; it hadto be. So she moved forward, slowly inching towards the promise of warmth and happiness, trying not to look back and she could still feel the dark abyss trying to drag her back as she continued forward.

First Impression: Hmm...well that definitely sounds like the edge to someplace crazy although I do believe that is not the Tartarus I'm familiar with, you wouldn't be able to stand at the edge of that one, it sucks you in. At any rate, this seems like a really interesting story and I certainly liked the ending there....hopeful happy endings like that are always gonna be my favorite.

Well...that's not the greatest of signs...and ever increasing drop into the darkness sounds like a recipe for something that would be pretty sad there..oh dear, well this is certainly off to an interesting start at any rate....certainly creating a really interesting visual there right at the start.

Okay...staying in the abyss over choosing to go back to living a life...well that is certainly a very dangerous statement there....oh gosh....well...I would think so anyway, preferring to stay in the abyss and thinking that is the best way forward is certainly not something most people tend to do at any rate. And the way she describes simply existing as an excruciating pain, well this is sending some really crazy thoughts through my head at any rate...cause I'm imagining all sorts of horrible this might mean...hmm...I should probably avoid overthinking things here.

Yeah, this is definitely seeming like its headed towards something that's going to end in some sadness here, her calling it bittersweet is an interesting move...at any rate it looks like someone that has led quite a difficult life here, and it appears that she's trying to run away from it somehow....the fact that she mentions the choice in front of the hole here is something a lot of people have to make is definitely adding even more fun things to here...hmm...well let's see how this goes I suppose.

Ooohh...okay...that's a good twist there....things turning back towards the light there, gotta say I wasn't expecting to see that considering how hard things were being leaned towards the darkness in that particular story there. But well..this is a hopeful ending here, she makes the choice to look back one last time and that manages to convince here that it is the path that she should be taking and well...her attempting to make it towards that side at the very end makes a pretty awesome ending there.

Overall: Overall, pretty interesting little story that you've got here, it certainly seems to have a lot more beneath the surface than just what this here is trying to tell us...I don't think I will analyze that too much, but this almost seems like someone that was contemplating suicide for a moment before they were turned away by a memory of some sort...well its the kind of read I got on this situation at any rate. :D

Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:26 am
Unique wrote a review...

This is amazing, the description flowed greatly and I even felt scared... Weird I know... I would totally read this book! I am guessing that if you made this a story you would have conversations... That's was what I was going to recommend... Words that are spoken... Not thought. But I don't really think that's a problem in this story right no. I was just wondering, but did you base this off of Percy Jackson....? Keep up the beautiful work! I can't wait to read more!

I wasn't really planning on making it longer and I honestly don't know how I would go about doing that but we'll see. To answer your question, no it was not supposed to be based on Percy Jackson although those were my favorite books when I was younger so maybe subconsciously it was. It was kind of supposed to be more metaphorical and it's actually a rather depressing topic to start off with but this is what came to me. Anyways I am glad you liked it and thanks for the feedback!

Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:44 am
WillowPaw1 wrote a review...

Hi there! Welcome to YWS and congrats on your first post!

I usually do nitpicks first, but I won't spam this review with them because 1) you seem pretty in control and I could just ask you to read over this and you would find them and 2) Wolfare already pointed then out.

Anyways! I actually found this piece quite beautiful. The title really sucked me in, so I guess that's why I'm here now. It's so creative and instead of saying Suicidal or something so cliche like that, it's Standing at the Edge of Tartarus, which I think is much more unique.

I love the touch to this, and the end seemed just... perfect. I'm usually not saying that about pieces and works, but yes, this ending just settled down perfectly with that sort of jolt that made me go, "Ooh, more please!"

If this is a short story, though, I suggest you making it longer (unless you already had that planned). I mean, it seems good as it is, but I feel there is just a few holes missing, which may just be my weird mind... Or maybe you could make a part 2 or something? I'm not sure. Maybe I'm just craving for more of your writing. 0.0

Fantastic job, though, I can tell you've written a lot before, just somewhere else!

Hope this helps, even though I couldn't offer much criticism.

WillowPaw1~

SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...

Hello Stuck, Wolf here for a review.

First off, some nitpicks:

...and endless abyss that had no visible end.

The 'and' should be 'an', should it not?
But to others, it's as if the darkness is luring them in.

Usually it's not good to start a sentence with 'but', 'and', or 'because'. You could use a different word like 'though' or 'however' and still have the same meaning.
Suppose the key to everything... the excruciating pain of simply existing.

I like here now you try to draw out the point that this 'light' will basically lead to death. However, it just seems too repetitive. Repeating the same phrase over and over again, just makes it become, how one might say, stale. This affect might work in poetry, but I don't think it works as well in a story of novel. However, it is still perfectly fine on its own and you don't have to change it if you do not wish to.
She knew all to well there was no going back...

'To' should be 'too'.
It was bittersweet perhaps but it seemed like the best alternative.

There should be a comma before 'but'.
...suck her in but she would look back once...

Another comma is needed before 'but'.
...she told herself it was worth it; it hadto be.

Space between 'had' and 'to'.

One last technical thing; I really like when people use semi-colons, but many others, such as non-writer readers, may not appreciate them so much. It interrupts the flow in some spots and just drags a sentence on. Again this could be a preference, and you don't have to change it if you do not wish to, but I would suggest using less semi-colons. One here and there is fine, but I've noticed at least 6 or less.

I really liked the theme to this piece, and you drag it out very well. Whether you meant to or not, I feel you did a beautiful job of showing the basic 'story' of life. Very well done my friend. I can't wait to see other works from you. Keep Writing,
~Wolfare

In all honesty, I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I really didn't read over this piece. I know that is really bad especially for a writer so I need to remind myself to do that next time. Thanks for the corrections though. Also, I'm hopeless when it comes to commas and semi-colons. I tend to throw them around whenever they seem necessary so thanks for pointing that out too. Overall, thanks for the feedback and hopefully I can get to revising this piece soon.

Shady's wall is now the Randomosity forum in a nut shell
— alliyah