Misery or Humanity

by rocketdog11

Stirrings – Blaine

Boundaries were meant to be tested. I do it all the time. It’s easy to get carried away. Anyone else would deny it, but that’s how I ended up the way I did. The Elites used it against me, against all of us Commons. I was caught, escaped, and started a rebellion. But if I say too much, it’ll spoil the ending.

You see, Commons (like me) are a somewhat tricky bunch. We were beaten in a negotiation to be equal to the Elites, and now they preside over us. They make all the rules. This all happened before my generation. Heck, this probably happened even before my parents’ generation. They abided. I didn’t. Sounds like a simple story, doesn’t it? But here’s the fact, right up front: it’s not. I’ll start right at the beginning.

My name’s Blaine Davenport. I’m eighteen years old, and up until recently, I lived in Redfield, New Hampshire. It was a small town a few miles south of the capital, Concord. Us Commons inhabited almost the entire east coast. We were spread out all over. The Elites live inland, or near the Great Lakes. My friend Julia lives there. She’s Elite, but that doesn’t bother me. We’ve known each other since we were small. Currently, we were meeting in neutral territory, where Elites and Commons can go without ripping each other apart. It’s right where Vermont used to be.

Gruber Park was our usual meeting spot. I was scanning the park for Julia, making patterns in the dirt in front of me.

“Hey, Blaine.” A voice behind me snapped me out of my own thoughts. I turned, seeing Julia.

“Yo, Jules. How’s it?” I looked up into her sparkling green eyes.

She cocked her head, a smile playing around her lips. “The usual,” she said.

“Hey, so about why I wanted to meet you here,” I glanced away for a second, then back at her.

“Oh, that. It was urgent too, right?” She tossed her strawberry-blond hair out of her eyes.

I looked away again, unsure of how she was going to react. “Yeah.”

She sat down in front of me, pulling at the sleeve of her jacket. “So hit me with it. What’s up, my friend?”

“Well, you know how Commons are looked down on, right? By Elites, I mean.”

Julia raised a copper-colored eyebrow. “Our parents do, at least.”

I nodded, swallowing past the hard lump in my throat. “Yeah. I know. That’s the thing. I’m sick of the Elites treating us like we’re nothing.”

Her brow furrowed. “What are you saying, Blaine?”

“I want to get out.”

“Out? Out where? Where do you want to go?”

I took a deep breath and exhaled loudly before answering. “Where you are. This long distance thing, it isn’t working, Jules. The only way we can ever see each other is…like this.”

“Blaine, you can’t. Remember?” She rubbed her forearm, and I rolled up the sleeve of my sweatshirt, looking at the mark branding me as a Common.

“They’d catch me for sure,” I said without thinking.

“I don’t want that to happen to you. I’ve seen what they do to Commons when they get caught.” She fingered an earring restlessly. They were beaded hoops today, winking in the early afternoon light.

“Your mom always knows what makes you look good, huh?” I changed the subject.

Julia’s eyes flicked up toward me. She always knew when I wanted to avoid talking about something. We both knew the Elites did awful things when they caught a Common. I was glad she was concerned. I dropped my eyes to her pearl necklace.

“Blaine, you should wait. Getting out is hard. You should at least finish school first.”

I rolled my eyes and looked away. Julia and I would both graduate in less than two months. I hadn’t been accepted to any colleges yet, but then again, applying was too much of a hassle. She was going to college, I just didn’t know where yet.

“Julia, you don’t know, do you? There’s bad stuff going on where I’m from. My mom’s nearly broke from paying all those inflated taxes. I’m working part time, but the pay’s bad. At least your parents can afford to buy you stuff.”

She looked at me from under lowered brows. “All they buy is junk.”

“At least it’s expensive junk.” Julia’s dad was a bigwig banker, down in the financial district of New York City. That’s what most of the Elites did. Banking. Buying loads and loads of things for their families, and it wasn’t just food. It was clothes, jewelry, luxury items.

Julia’s cell phone rang then, a strange jangle about yellow birds. “Sorry. Have to take this. Excuse me. Mother? Hello?”

Her voice melted into the background noise as she moved further away. I watched her, watched her green dress flutter, her earrings sparkle. Her facial expression changed, from concerned, to angry, to annoyed. She was animated as she talked, alternating digs in her bag with wide sweeps of her arms. I shivered, zipping up my sweatshirt and stared out across the lake. Although it wasn’t cold, I felt a chill creeping in. The gray water sparkled in the sun, glints winking like mocking eyes. I could see Kent Avenue beyond, and my old, beat-up truck that used to be Dad’s. I wondered if Mom saw anything of him in me. She always gave me a look like she did, but never said anything.

“Blaine? Hey.” Julia was behind me again, her hand resting lightly on my upper arm. “My mother’s having a fit because she doesn’t know where I am. I have to go or else she’ll ground me.”

I stood up, nearly knocking Julia off her feet. “Walk you to your car?”

She smiled, taking my hand in hers. “Let’s go.”

After watching Julia’s Mini Cooper disappear around the bend, I plunged my hands into my pockets and trudged to the truck. From here I had to take the highway all the way back to Redfield. At least if I lived close to Julia, we could go together, but our family never has enough money to move, let alone buy a house. It was maddening. Watching all those Elites throw their money around just about killed me.

I could feel loathing bubble up inside me.

Rebellion was close, closer by the day. Every day it inched nearer.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:16 am
ThereseCricket wrote a review...

Hey there! Cricket here for a quick review!!!!

So I usually start off with nitpicks and then go into what I like, so I'm going to start like that here. OK? So here goes....

NITPICKS!!!!!

Boundaries were meant to be tested.

I think you can replace "were" with "are". Using "were" makes it past tense and I think you're going for present tense right now.

Boundaries were meant to be tested. I do it all the time. It’s easy to get carried away

This right here I just noticed something that seemed kinda awkward to me....These three sentences are too short and too just THERE. I think maybe they could be smashed together or something. :D

Now with this I just had a slight concern. I have been told that you should never give back story. They say readers get bored with it,and to just steer clear of it all. Just a thought....

So this I just noticed a bit of redundancy. You mention "you should" twice in the same paragraph.

A voice behind me snapped me out of my own thoughts.

With this I just noticed some slight mis-phrasing. Now you make it already clear to us when you say "my" that the thoughts are his. There's no need for "own". OK?

Just a little bit of redundancy. "Day" are just too close together for my taste.

Julia and I would both graduate in less than two months. I hadn’t been accepted to any colleges yet, but then again, applying was too much of a hassle. She was going to college, I just didn’t know where yet.

This sorta sounds like an info dump. Maybe this could be told later, and not when we are trying to know the character for the first time? :D

OK, well your work isn't something that I can nitpick with ease, so I'm going to focus on some other stuff.

COMMENTS AND OTHER STUFF

OK, I totally love you aren't just diving right into the romance of the story. Some writers just get right into the romance and us~the readers~feel like its just being shoved into our faces. I like your approach on it so far. I would just say, as far as advice goes for future reference...to make sure that you don't make the romance the center of the story.

Now for story line, I would honestly say that this is a fairly used plot. Although, some of the elements that I've seen so far, do have a original twist to it. :D I would just suggest to make sure you add some SUPER ORIGINAL plot elements to this story. Now with the Socialism aspect, with the two classes of people; one higher than the other, is a good one, but with the stuff that is being written nowadays I would just stress my point that you need to make sure that you have a super original idea when you're done. OK? :D

Now for the dialogue...I would say that you are making it pretty darn realistic! Anyway, just keep it up with that....so moving forward!! Now I did find this article that I think you could also look at for like reference a little when doing an opening to a chapter OK? I'm gonna go now as I think you might get tired of reading and reading!!:P lol
Presenting... Your Story

See ya!!!

rocketdog11 says...

Thanks! I will make sure to pay attention to those in my upcoming submissions!

Yup, no problem! :D

Naveshock wrote a review...

Hey rocketdog11 Naveshock here for a review. I would like to start with my overall impression, I really like what you did, you created a interesting enviroment audiences would love to see more of. Using first person always suits well to get the reader more immerced in the story and it´s my personal favorite. I also like your exposition at the star and the ending left the reader wanting more. I have to say though that your decision of stablishing the main character´s romance at the beggining of the story is a bold move and one I don´t see much cause it´s normally decided at the end, but that decision can give you more time and freedom to focus on the enviroment that you created so it can go both ways but at the time is ok. I didn´t found a problem worth writting so good job hope to see more.

SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...

Hello Rocket, Wolf here for a review. (Please excuse any spelling/grammar mistakes, for I am on my phone).

Usually I would start off with a few nit-picks, but I didn't seem t find any glaring mistakes, spelling, grammar, or just awkwardly worded sentences. Nice Job! Keep that up, it helps the reader focus on the actual content more.

I did want to mention the little introduction before the story began. It's interesting, and it provides a little bit of background info, but I feel like it's unecissary. It does have a bit of foreshadowing in the very first part, and I like how you have it like Blaine is retelling this story to us, but the next two paragraphs just seem like all this information is shoved in the reader's face.

You could very easily cut this out, because you do a very good job of showing the lifestyle of these people in the actual story portion, as I will call it. The third paragraph especially, because well, through dialogue, we're told his name, his age range (17 or 18 since he's almost through high school), his home is even told.

There are many other ways to include the information just told at the beginning, that's the power of showing, not telling. It makes it more interesting, it helps the build up, and most importantly, it gets the information to stick in the reader's head.

This is a really cool topic, that many writers love to explore. I see you have a nice unique twist to make it your own, but be careful not to fall into cliches (not that you did it here, just some advice). It's nice to see that your paragraphs are nicely spaced, and it makes it flow better and much easier to read. I can't wait to see more, Keep Writing,
~Wolfare

AmorEtOdium wrote a review...

Well, this was short. That isn't a bad thing, in my opinion. I liked the shortness. Also, you made it hard for me to review, seeing as how this was practically flawless. If there were any errors, I didn't catch them. There wasn't so much narrative that I got bored, and that my eyes started to hurt, so that's good. I don't like having to stare at big blocks of words. Your main character had a distinct voice, and I liked that. I'm not sure if this went too fast or not. I'd actually like to see how this folds out, so review some people and get those points so you can upload more! You gave character to each person (well, Blaine -by the way, I adore that name- and Julia).

The only problem I had was that you mentioned the rebellion. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that, but it kind of takes away from the buildup. Well, it seems like it could take away. In the dystopian books I have read, the rebellion isn’t mentioned until it’s about to happen, or events occur that seems like a spark to the rebellion (like in the hunger games, Snow wasn’t happy with Katniss’ defiance in the games, and he sensed something. It wasn’t until the third book after a lot of crap happened that the sense of rebellion was known to all). I’m sure you won’t have a problem with it though. You probably know what you’re doing… I don’t.

But really, this was really well written!

All truly wise thoughts have been thought already thousands of times; but to make them truly ours, we must think them over again honestly, till they take root in our personal experience.
— Johann Wolfgang von Goethe