z

Young Writers Society


12+

Every cell in our entire body is replaced every seven years

by Crimsona


This isn't very well written; I haven't written a short story in a very long time. Please completely tear this apart - I would like some honest feedback so that I can improve.

She hadn’t always noticed that there was toxin in his eyes or that poison trickled from his finger tips. But when his eyes skipped over her body she felt wounded and when his fingers danced across her skin, she felt her flesh burning beneath his touch.When she recoiled he would question her withdrawal – “Is it because I’m ugly? I always knew I was out of your league anyway.” Irate tears would trickle down his broken face like a toddler’s. Her hand would creep back into his, and that venomous smile would creep back onto his face, his reptilian eyes would glitter once more.

-

People always told her that he was weird; maybe that’s what compelled her to become friends with him in the first place. She was pretty peculiar herself, back then. However no one warned her how warped and bitter he was – he could always twist his face into the most nauseating contortions but she didn’t realise that his soul could mirror that. He was damaged and perhaps it was her fault for getting so close to him in the first place. She always picked up the weak ones.

Best friends, that’s what they were. She always liked to believe that boys and girls could just be friends; she fought hard to argue with those who disagreed with her. “He’s like a brother to me.” She’d laugh. They always did look odd, but that young girl was determined never to let what other people said get to her, although the faded white snakes that slithered along her hips told a different story.

-

The cycle continued until her skin crawled and her eyes dulled from the sparkle they once held. Instead they twitched with uncertainty and dread. The delight of companionship had vanished long ago; emotional blackmail does that to people. But still, despite herself, the small girl with the long blonde hair would drag herself to that same spot every night and tell him ‘no, I don’t want to’, his threats and sneers becoming increasingly cruel and chilling. She was the girl in the music box, trapped and dancing to the same tune over and over until she became faint and dazed. The wicked boy with the music box thought it was an amusing game; the twisted boy with the music box was no more than a malevolent creature cloaked in a façade of human flesh. But she loved him, for beyond the façade, beyond the malevolence, she saw the quivering face of a toddler with tears running down his chubby cheeks; the torn face of the five year old when his father told him that he was leaving and never coming back; the anxious face of the sixteen year old when his mother said she wanted to fall into an eternal sleep. She felt for the boy with the music box, the boy desperate to have some control, the little boy who yearned for a constant.

However every day she slipped further and further from his reach until he dove to grasp her and she slipped between his fingers. He dismissed her then onwards, affronted by her lack of grovelling, begging for him back. She should have been relieved; she should have jumped at the chance to do the things that he had forbidden. She ought to have gone and kissed that blonde boy at the party and enjoyed it. She should have smoked that cigarette out of her window. She could have lived. But instead, she found herself missing the boy with the reptilian eyes and the queasy smile. Instead the girl felt empty and desolate. Where trust had fled, paranoia swooped in to fill its place. What can one do when their heart’s been torn from their chest? His poison coursed through her veins and flooded the void where her heart had been.

They say that every cell in our entire body is replaced every seven years. How comforting it is to know that one day she will have a body that was never touched by his noxious fingers. Maybe it will be only then that I can completely disassociate myself from the girl once trapped in the music box.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
541 Reviews


Points: 370
Reviews: 541

Donate
Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:26 pm
View Likes
Lauren2010 wrote a review...



Hello Crimsona! Here as requested. :3

You certainly have a lovely way with words! There are so many wonderful lines and metaphors through here, and I especially love the way she describes the boy as reptilian and poisonous. The way you describe things is really effective in creating a strong image, and that's a huge asset to any writer!

However, it does feel that this story falls too much into the old "show don't tell" problem. Almost the entirety of this story is told to the reader by the narrator which really slows things down and keeps the reader from fully connecting to the characters. When you're showing in a story, the reader gets to see the characters interacting as real people which makes them so much more three-dimensional and relatable.

Plus, as is, this story doesn't have much of a strong plot. What I can pin down is that this couple was together (after being friends for some time) and he began to abuse her until somehow she managed to fade away from his life (which doesn't seem like the most realistic exit from an abusive relationship). I want to know more about their story! I want to know who this girl is as a person, what she feels in this situation, how she manages it (or fails to manage it) and how she really gets away and what that makes her feel like. As it is, this sounds like an almost generic abuse story (god I feel almost awful calling an abuse story generic, but you know what I mean!). Every person is different, and so they interpret and survive situations in different ways. Show us why we are hearing this story about this girl, and why it should matter to us as readers.

Your handle of language is so lovely, I'm positive with some more showing this will be a really excellent story! Thanks for sharing, and keep writing!

-Lauren-




Crimsona says...


Thank you very much for your review, Lauren. You're completely right about me telling rather than showing - I really need to break from that habit! As for the plot of the story, what it's really about is two best friends, both agreeing that they will stay friends and nothing romantic will come of it. However the boy falls for the girl and can't accept that the girl does not like him back - therefore he turns abusive and, after a series of events, she cuts him from her life. There is more to this story but I found it difficult to make it longer whilst keeping up the language and description I had, I didn't want to make it boring or drag it out! I'm not sure if I should try to extend it and add more to the plot or not, what would you suggest? Thank you again for your review.



User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 9

Donate
Thu May 29, 2014 10:42 am
IAmMe wrote a review...



Hi there, Crimsona!

This review is going to be a bit rushed, but I thought you'd like to know that I thought your short story here is fabulous! I love the way you describe everything, both physical appearances and mental images. I absolutely adore metaphors <3 and this story has plenty!
I only have one slightly-but-not-really negative thing to say- I feel like it ended too soon. You were going strong there, carrying such powerful images, creating possibilities that I wanted to explore. Did the boy get over it? Did he find another girl? Did he ever get better? And what about the girl? Did she ever recover from that relationship? Too many unanswered questions! :/ But that's probably just me. :)
Anyway, this was a great story. It's really awesome. I love your descriptions!

Keep it up,
IAmMe




Crimsona says...


Thank you for your review! It was intentionally going to be longer but I didn't want to scare people off reading it by making it too long! I might edit this at some point and at bits - you're right there are quite a few unanswered questions that should probably be cleared it! Thanks again. :)



User avatar


Points: 100
Reviews: 0

Donate
Wed May 28, 2014 6:50 pm
View Likes
Different134 says...



I love the description of the boy and how the young girl was determined to just stay friends with him, the story flowed better than most that i've read, this makes me want to read more of your stories




Crimsona says...


Thank you :)



User avatar
11 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 11

Donate
Wed May 28, 2014 4:31 pm
View Likes
AmorEtOdium wrote a review...



There were a few times where the flow was interrupted, and it felt awkward to read, but it was quickly recovered. I was a little bored, yet still compelled at some parts. You told a lot, instead of showing, but I know that's really hard, especially with narrative. However, since there was more telling than showing, I found myself skipping over some lines. Overall, your piece was great, and I think I'll be reading more.
Ps, the last paragraph really touched me. :)




Crimsona says...


Thank you for your review :) You're right about the telling and not showing, I'll try and go over this and make some changes at some point. Thanks again.



User avatar
223 Reviews


Points: 282
Reviews: 223

Donate
Wed May 28, 2014 1:46 am
View Likes
Kelpies wrote a review...



This isn't written badly! It's magnificent! Poetic, it feels like a classic, I don't know why. It reaches out to the reader. I never was one for a love story, but I do love a story that gives me goosebumps. And this succeeded, it is the perfect combonation of love and spooky. It feels like it is real, like you have actually experienced what takes place in this story. It is heartbreaking, yet, I love it.




Crimsona says...


Thank you for your review, Kelpies. :)



User avatar
19 Reviews


Points: 335
Reviews: 19

Donate
Wed May 28, 2014 1:32 am
View Likes
FluttershyFan wrote a review...



I really found it interesting how you would describe the emotions and characteristics of the boy in this story. "Reptilian eyes" for example. The description it not too much or too little with just the things a reader wants to hear. I am not one for romantic stories but I will read this again.





I drink tea and forget the world's noises.
— Chinese saying