z

Young Writers Society



...

by TakeThatYouFiend


...


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
27 Reviews


Points: 249
Reviews: 27

Donate
Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:29 pm
JinxGrey wrote a review...



This was very funny.You took a enforcement poster and turned it into a lively song. That's called sheer brilliance my friend.I loved the you turned it into rebellion against said poster.This shows that you are your own person.My favorite part was the Doggy Poo Nazi.I like that you used the word poo instead of a curse word.That shows that you have respect for the younger readers.Good luck!!!!




User avatar
112 Reviews


Points: 2094
Reviews: 112

Donate
Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:55 pm
Ljungtroll says...



My sister and I just read it. It's funny and I now believe in the Dog Poo Fairy. You should make a religion called Dog Pooism. Be sure to have a lot of dogs come into wherever you hold your D.P. meetings! I BELIEVE IN THE DOG POO FAIRY!!!!!!!!!!!!




User avatar


Points: 322
Reviews: 3

Donate
Mon May 26, 2014 4:08 pm
awesomeme4 wrote a review...



Hello @TakeThatYouFiend!

Before I review, I have to say when I read that you got this idea from nothing but a little slogan, I knew that you have some good experience in writing and know where to look. Great job! But no matter how much experience you have, tweaks are needed. For example,

It really is true what Peter Pan has said,


Delete the word "really". It doesn't flow well, and if you're using a pattern, I can't find it. Try to work on flow rather than the pattern, if you have one.

or else where would the dog poos go?


First, capitalize the o in or, and elsewhere is one word. I don't know if it's just me, but it would sound better if you changed all the "poos" in this story to just regular "poo". Anyway, that was funny and entertaining. I like this :)!




awesomeme4 says...


Oops! I forgot to put very on the first quote! My mistake!



User avatar
274 Reviews


Points: 3742
Reviews: 274

Donate
Sun May 25, 2014 5:31 pm
cleverclogs wrote a review...



Hello, and happy review day!

Oh my gosh! This is hilarious! The rhythm mostly works, except for the few spots that the previous reviewer pointed out. I like the repetition of the line "for each time you pick up a dog poo then a dog poo fairy dies." You could tape this up over one of the posters that you mentioned and make someone's day a bit funnier. :)

Something I noticed: I feel like the last stanza isn't really necessary. You already said everything in it before, so it doesn't bring any new ideas. I think that it would be fine if you stopped at the end of the fifth stanza. You can go out with the repetition. I feel that the last stanza takes away from the rest of the poem.

A few other little nitpicks:

It really is very true what Peter Pan has said


I think that the rhythm would flow more smoothly if you switched the words "really" and "is" here.

It is really very true what Peter Pan has said


See? That works out a lot better.

Also, I understand that you wrote this poem to lovingly mock the signs around your home, but cleaning up dog poo really is very important, and you should probably put some disclaimer saying that people actually should clean up dog poo. :)

Overall, this is very funny, lighthearted, and creative. You must have a wonderfully sarcastic mind to write something like this! Great work!

Keep on writing!






I'll edit soon (for you and the previous reviewer) but I won't get rid of the last stanza. You see there is a reason it's a repeat. It the chorus-these are in fact lyrics :-)



cleverclogs says...


Ah, I see. I should have paid attention to its categories. It's okay if it's lyrics. :)



User avatar
1634 Reviews


Points: 67548
Reviews: 1634

Donate
Sun May 25, 2014 12:00 am
Deanie wrote a review...



Hey there Fiend! Here as requested ;)

Happy review day!

You certainly haven't made this easy for me to review, because it's such a great poem. It has the rhyme, and the rhythm to match with it as well. At some points there are words I wanted taken away or added in there, but I didn't want to mess with the rhythm. So, I'll point those places out and maybe there is a way to rephrase it for the better. I also liked the idea of having a rather obscure type of fairy to believe in there as well ;)

But just you think, when you pick up poo, of the dog poo fairy's demise,

for each time you pick up a dog poo then a dog poo fairy dies.


Wait a second, this poem is against picking up your dog poo? I would've thought it might've been just the opposite because well, it's definitely nicer than when you end up stepping in it >> Are you meaning that because you pick it up there is less for the fairies to pick up, so one dies?

There must be a dog poo fairy,

or else where do the dog poos go?


You use this is in the last stanza twice. But earlier on instead you use 'Or else where does the dog poo go?' I would prefer you use that line again instead, because it seems to fit more, in my opinion. Or, if you really do like what you have there already, make sure you have an apostrophe for the word 'poos' there. So it's more like poo's.

It really is very true what Peter Pan has said


The 'really is very true' seems a bit odd to me, because it's an excessive amount of words to bring across one point. I know it is for the rhythm but then again, maybe there is a better way to word it? One way that keeps the same number of syllables is: It is absolutely true what Peter Pan has said.

when you don't believe in fairies then a fairy drops down dead.


Small nitpick: coma after the fairies.

each time you pick up a dog poo then a dog poo fairy dies


No 'a' is necessary for when you talk about dog poo. But it is good when you use it for the dog poo fairy.

you pick it up in a plastic bag to add it to landfill.


Again, this will ruin the rhythm when you change it, but the word landfill really needs an 'a' in front of it. I wouldn't know how to change the wording to make it work with this little extra word in it. But I am sure you will be able to find a way :)

Other than the few points I made, this was a fab and creative poem. It was a blast reading it, and carry on writing good stuff like this ^^

Deanie x




User avatar
120 Reviews


Points: 8686
Reviews: 120

Donate
Sat May 24, 2014 12:58 pm
View Likes
Brunnera wrote a review...



My goodness....this just put a huge smile on my face. It then evolved into a grin, and then i burst out in bubbles of laughter.
Your creativity! The childishness! It brings happiness to those who read this. The ridiculous belief of dog poo fairies was a hilarious idea portrayed perfectly into a humorous piece of work. The rhyming of each line was entertaining, and each stanza was perfect. As though a child who believed in dog poo fairies wanted to speak out loud.

"I believe in the dog poo fairy!

I have a right to my freedom of speech!"

When it rhymed perfectly, I couldn't help but laugh. It was funny and enjoyable. Childish, creative and lifted my spirits up. I just... don't know how to explain, but this was incredibly delightful. Short, sweet and amusing.


~Nifoi






Many thanks :-)




"What is a poet? An unhappy person who hides deep anguish in his heart, but whose lips are so formed that when the sigh and cry pass through them, it sounds like lovely music."
— Søren Kierkegaard, Philosopher & Theologian