16+ Language Mature Content

Home

by Crpopp33

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language and mature content.

I look out my window at my house. I silently say good bye. I won't be coming back. I have had so many good times here that it seems like I could never leave. I'm leaving with my mom and we are going to my grandma's house. This whole ordeal started about a year ago. I was in my freshman year of high school. I was top in my grade. I had straight A's and was captain of the JV softball team. My little sister Lilly was just starting kindergarten. My older brother Carter was a junior and he was captain of the varsity baseball team. He had always been overprotective of me. My parents weren't home the majority of the time anymore but I will say that when they were there was yelling. Carter had learned to just let them work if out. He would take us in his room where we would watch TV and listen to music. Lilly was too little to understand so we just said it was adults talking. She would nod and smile. She really didn't understand what was happening. Carter and I understood that soon here we wouldn't be one big happy family. I just thought then we would at least not be split up as siblings.

"You've been quite what's on your mind?" My mom asked she was always the one who seemed all calm until someone push her one button and she flipped. It was hard to answer this question because I didn't want to tell her about what I was thinking. So I lied.

"Oh just the new school new life and what not." I know she can tell I'm lying but she doesn't ask more questions. I love how she does this. She asks questions to see if you'll open up but when she knows you don't want to and doesn't push further. I am leaving behind more than what I’ve lead on. All of my friends everyone is gone now and I didn’t have the nerve to tell them I was leaving. My best friend Colby and I have been close since second grade. He moved in just down the street and we were instantly best friends. He was the one who made me feel loved when my parents fought. His parents were like my own. He was the one who came over when I had my low times. I didn’t want to do this I knew I couldn’t tell him so I left a note with my dad and told him to give it to him when he came over next. This is what it said.

Dear Colby,

I am so very sorry I didn’t tell you before I left and now I’m gone and this is my goodbye. I left with my mom to my grandmas house(the one in Florida). My mom got custody of me and visiting rights to my sister and brother. Apparently the court saw it fit that since my sister was young it was better for her to stay and since my brother was graduating it was easy for him to stay as well, but since I am only a sophomore I could build a new life at a new school and since I understood what was happening I wouldn’t be as greatly affected by all of it. I personally find it all stupid but whatever. I knew I didn’t have the nerve to tell you so I didn’t but now I bet you are pissed at me for all of this and never want to talk to me again. My guess is you saw I wasn’t at school and texted me but I have a new number so you couldn’t reach me. After that you became worried and decided to come check on me. When you get to my house my brother or someone answers the door and you ask where I am. They then explain that I moved away to my grandmas with my mom. You read this and my guess is you’ll text me with my new number.(On the back) I will give you more answers later. There is more where you saw me first.

Love,

Cecilia

Noelle wrote a review...

Hi there! Noelle here for a Review Day review!

I look out my window at my house.

What window are you talking about? I assumed that you are talking about Cecilia's bedroom window, but then she's looking at her house. You can be a bit more specific and tell us what window she's looking out of.

So your paragraphs are a little long. That's normally okay, but I really feel like you can break them up into shorter paragraphs. For example, the first one can be broken up before the sentence "This whole ordeal started about a year ago". That's a whole other thought pattern that is going through her mind.

"You've been quite what's on your mind?"

It should be 'quiet', not 'quite'. Also, this can be split up into two sentences like this: "You've been quiet. What's on your mind?"

Okay, this is a great start. You've got a good introductory chapter here where we get Cecilia's backstory. We learn about parts of her life and how she came to be in the situation that she's in. It's always important to do this as it starts the character development early. Do continue to develop your character as you go forward in your novel! :)

I only have one more thing to mention about this. You should probably put the letter in italics. Usually things like letters, messages, dreams, etc. are put in italics. That way readers can easily distinguish between the contents of the letter and the rest of the story.

Again, this is a great start. I do hope that you continue writing this! Let me know when the next chapter is posted.

**Noelle**

SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...

Hello there, Wolf here for a review!
I will start off with a few nit-picks:

My older brother Carter was a junior and he was captain of the varsity baseball team.

So this is a little teeny thing. I noticed a serious lack of commas in this piece. So I'm going to assume you've learned about conjunctions like 'and', 'but', and 'or'. So just look out for when you create compound sentences that you have a comma before the conjunction.
My parents weren't home the majority of the time anymore but I will say that when they were there was yelling.

So I see that there is a mega paragraph in the beginning. So, as a recommendation, I would use this sentence as the beginning of another paragraph, since you start going onto another topic. Also, again, there is a lack of commas which makes this sentence hard to understand.
"You've been quite what's on your mind?" My mom asked she was always the one who seemed all calm until someone push her one button and she flipped.

Alright so first, you switch tenses here. It's now past tense instead of present tense like in the beginning. I'm not sure if you noticed that or not, but try to watch out for that. Also, the tag after the dialogue is too long. I would separate the 'my mom asked' and the rest into two sentences. Otherwise it would be a run-on sentence.
She asks questions to see if you'll open up but when she knows you don't want to and doesn't push further.

Another thing, the wording in this sentence towards the end is strange. I would change the last 'and' to 'she' so it will make more sense. Again, here you have switched tenses again. Be careful with that!
All of my friends everyone is gone now...

This is another strange sentence. You just say 'all of my friends' and then just abandon that phrase. Either mark out 'everyone' and change 'is' to 'are or take out that phrase.

Next, I want to point out that you start most of your sentences the same way. 'I do this. I do that. I have this. She does this. He thinks that.' I get that's its hard not just to state everything, but spice it up a bit. Also, I'm not saying its not okay to do this and you never do this. I'm only saying it gets a little boring seeing the same start of a sentence everytime.

Another thing, you need to expand on this idea more. You told us plain as day what happened and who she knows. You need to show us, not tell us. Show us, maybe through dialogue what's going on. Set the scene more. Describe things and sometimes let the reader figure out what's going on in their own, we are very smart people, we can get answers through clues.

Alright, I'm done with my critique. So I like this topic, and your writing shows a lot of potential. I bet you can do so much with this and expand so much further. You can do it! Keep writing, and good luck,
~Wolfare

Wolfare1 says...

Please excuse some grammatical and spelling errors in this review, for I am on a phone xD

One fish, two fish, red fish, aardvark.
— alliyah