z

Young Writers Society


16+ Violence

The Reaper In Black--Chapter Seven

by Sherri


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence.

He smiled when she came back into the vast library with the tea, happy for the sudden attention. While Dr. Akdel remained unsure of the new adviser--Theta's--motives, it was better than Madam Viasra and her constant brooding and calculating. Of course, this new adviser still brooded and calculated, but she did it with a refined elegance that amazed him.

"How long have you been an adviser, Dr. Akdel?" She asked sweetly, smiling brightly at him. She poured them both cups of tea, handing his cup to him as she sat down next to him on the couch. Looking at her long white hair, her lovely eyes, and her tall, confident figure, it was hard to keep his heart from fluttering. Maybe he had finally found a replacement for Gladys; good thing, too... Gladys hadn't been smart about how she had played this little game the Queen had going. Dr. Akdel had a feeling she would pay for it eventually, especially when--if--the Queen found out she was still alive. One thing was for certain: Akdel wouldn't welcome her back if she attempted to return. He had no wish to be involved with a careless person.

"Quite a while. I first began serving the Queen when I was about 17... I think she was 28 back then. Now I'm, what, 35? 36? I don't even keep track anymore; it's kind of depressing."

"My, my... 18 years and serving, eh? But that would mean the Queen is in her mid to late forties. To be honest," she sat next to him, giving him a cup of tea and sipping her own, "she doesn't look a day over 30."

"I've thought of that a few times, but figured it had something to due with her Reaper." Dr. Akdel drank from his cup, wincing at the burning sensation he received from the near-boiling liquid,

"The white-haired man? He hasn't been around much lately, has he?"

"No; I think she has him running errands."

"When he's away, she looks exhausted. All wound up and anxious. Any idea why?"

Dr. Akdel paused, a tiny voice in the back of his mind telling him something was wrong with this conversation. He flat-out ignored that voice, smiling at her.

"They share a special type of pact called an Equilibrium Pact; the Queen pays a price for every demand she asks of the Reaper, and the Reaper pays a price every time he demands something of the Queen. Because this can result in an off-balance relationship, this particular pact constantly equals out the energy fields between them by pulling energy from one and taking it to the other. If the Queen asks for two things and the Reaper asks for one, the Queen gives a certain type of energy to the Reaper, and the Reaper replaces it with a weaker type of energy. It's a constant process of give and receive; paying and getting paid."

"Interesting. What does the Reaper ask for?" Theta blinked at him innocently, further ringing warning bells in Akdel's head. He continued to ignore it.

"In all honesty, none of us know. Neither Her Majesty or the Reaper will speak of it, but Evora and I both have a similar guess." Dr. Akdel thought briefly of the scientist, and wondered where she had run off to now. Just a few days ago she had given the Queen a test vial full of liquid and the key to a warehouse, saying that the cure to a plague was in there. Strange woman indeed. "We think the Reaper is taking some mental or emotional aspect from the Queen in trade for an unknown energy. She hasn't weakened physically since she made a pact with her Reaper, but her mental capabilities and emotional stability have both weakened horribly." Dr. Akdel paused again, his head reeling as the tiny voice tried to scream louder. It was telling him to shut his mouth before he said something really dangerous. Suddenly, however, he felt too dizzy to listen to it. "Theta, do you feel strange?"

Theta giggled, taking another sip of her tea. Dr. Akdel did the same, emptying his cup. Theta poured more tea in both of their cups, then leaned up against him. Dr. Akdel couldn't help but to glance at the double doors leading out of the library and into the main hallway. What was he so scared for? He was allowed to be here, and so was she. Still, he felt like a traitor.

"Not really. Akdel...?"

"Yes?"

"Has the Queen ever been married? I know that's completely off-topic, but she seems so lonely sometimes, I had to ask."

"No; the Queen has a strange and unexplainable tendency to avoid men like the plague. I don't know why."

"Don't you think that's a little dangerous?" Theta asked, fiddling with the handle of her tea cup. "I mean, she doesn't have any heirs to succeed her; someone could just kill her and take the throne legally."

Dr. Akdel choked on his tea at the bluntness--and sincerity--of her comment. She had said it like she had given it a lot of thought; like she would actually kill the Queen if she thought she could.

"Legally?"

"Dr. Akdel, I'm surprised at you! Don't you know the laws of the throne?" Theta chuckled, a sinister tone seeping into her words. "If someone is able to wipe out the Queen's forces, devastate her economy, and take her life--if she doesn't have children--then that person rightfully takes the throne. Assassinations don't count because they only go for the royal family, not the whole kingdom; the same goes for Devastation Mongers and raiders, since they only harm the Queen's forces and economy. If she has children, however, then the children must be killed as well. The only fail-safe she would have to ensure the throne stays in her bloodline is to always have children under the age of eighteen; children under that age cannot be killed. Of course, they can be stolen, but that's another wing of politics in and of itself."

"That's... that's outrageous. There are no challenging countries to compete against the Queen, anyways. "

"Not in this Time or Place, no. All the more reason for an individual to make a move against the Queen's life."

"How do you know all of this?" Akdel was quite frightened at her precise way of talking, and her uncaring expression. She was talking about the Queen's death like she would a peasant getting run over by a stagecoach. Had she gone mad?!

"Dr. Akdel," Theta leaned close to him, her bright eyes flashing, "I am the third adviser to the Queen, and consult her on matters of politics and tactics; as such, I should be able to identify basic laws of inter-kingdom conduct. What's so strange about that?"

The door to the library opened, and Madam Viasra came into the room, looking suspiciously at Theta.

"What are you two up to?" She asked pleasantly, but both Dr. Akdel and Theta could hear the subtle threatening tone to her voice. Theta shrugged, standing up from the couch to leave.

"Nothing at all; I was just headed into the throne room to speak with Her Majesty." Theta hooded her eyelids at the other woman as she passed. The Madam only snorted.

"Better make sure the Queen doesn't find out you were in here lolly-gagging with another adviser while she was waiting for your presence, then."

Theta only hissed at the comment before sulking out into the hallway, closing the door behind her. As soon as she was gone, Madam Viasra flew across the room, wrapping a firm hand around Akdel's throat.

"What did you tell her, you complete imbecile?!" She growled, baring her teeth at the Doctor.

"I-I don't k-know, Madam, I d-don't know!" Akdel stuttered, trying to pull her hand off of his neck.

"You fool; you did this with Gladys, too. She blinks her pretty eyes at you, and you melt. You tell her everything!"

"I don't know what I told her!" Dr. Akdel attempted to whisper-scream, but it came out as a whining shout. Madam Viasra tightened her grip on his neck.

"Which is why we're six feet under, Akdel. What. Did. You. Tell. Her?"

"We talked about how long I had been an adviser, and--"

"Did you say anything about the Queen's age?" The Madam asked suddenly, her eyes going wide with panic. Dr. Akdel bit his lower lip, squeezing his eyes shut in preparation for the raging storm that would follow his answer.

"A little..."

Releasing his throat, the Madam slammed her fist into a nearby bookshelf, knocking hundreds of books onto the floor. Dust erupted everywhere, clouding the room with a dense fog. She allowed herself several half-screamed curses usually unfit for a lady and another whack on the bookshelf before she calmed herself.

When Dr. Akdel peeked his eyes opened, he was terrified at what he saw. Cascading from Madam Viasra's upper back were two black-feathered wings, arced high above her head. A dull layer of dusted silver at the tip of each feather signified her massively high age; further examples included her quickly-growing red hair, each strand tinted with bright silvery dust, her skin, tainted with patches of silvery scale-like growth, and the fact that her entire body was illuminated in fierce red energy.

As the Madam inhaled and exhaled to calm herself, she folded her wings and let her body re-shift to its former form as a human. When the human transformation was complete, she collapsed to the floor, drained of all energy. Dr. Akdel got up and rushed over to her, lifting her head off of the ground.

"Madam, where's your inhibitors?" The Doctor asked angrily, referring to the power-binding jewelry the Madam was supposed to be wearing. Since she wasn't particularly fond of jewelry to begin with, Evora had developed a few choice inhibitors that could each circulate enough energy to destroy an entire planet. The Madam was only wearing one of these today, an elegant silver choker clasped to her neck, the engravings and design implying an upside-down tree was trickling down her neck and collar bone. "You know how dangerous it is--"

"Oh, hush up, Doctor; I know the dangers. I've just been so tired, I... No, nevermind. It isn't important." Madam Viasra pushed Akdel politely away and stood by herself, swaying on her heels. "I actually came in here to tell you that the Queen has called for a speech to the people--in public, and barely protected, no less--without warning, so we have to get down to the park within twenty minutes."

"I thought Theta was meeting Her Majesty in the throne room?"

"Come now, Akdel; why would that mangy wretch tell the truth?" The Madam grinned weakly before turning to head out of the castle, and down to the park.

*****

"Many things have changed since I captured this territory from the late King Brach," the Queen began, standing tall atop a wood-plank stage--usually reserved for town performances--as she gazed down at her subjects. Thousands of people had gathered, no doubt hoping for a chance to call for repairs in the city. The direction of her speech, however, took everyone off guard, including the Queen's own advisers. Madam Viasra, leaning against a pristine cane, glanced at the Queen with an arced eyebrow, not liking how this outing was starting off. The Queen never spoke of the late King, and when she did, it usually disrupted her emotional state to the point of childish tantrums and outright sobbing. The King's death had been a gruesome on; a death that the Queen had witness firsthand. "I cut off trade from many of his former allies, causing entire economies to collapse within weeks. When they protested, I declared war on nearly forty respective territories, each one falling within months of the first attack. I have formed a complete and utter world-wide kingdom, ruled by a single leader, filled with peace."

Many members of the crowd snorted and booed at this final statement. The Queen didn't even flinch.

"However, I will admit to allowing the sheer vastness of my kingdom to hinder my ability to rule properly. I am used to governing smaller populations--as was given to me by the late King--not complete planets. I am currently working on several... operations... that will ease this pressure and lighten up the flow of money throughout the world."

The crowd cheered a little, wary of the sudden positive aurora the Queen maintained. The usualy-cold, heartless ruler had never admitted to being wrong to the basic public like this, and had never made any promises for a better way of life.

"On another note, we should all remember the death," the Queen's eyes flitted to the Reaper accusingly for a split second before returning to dully face the crowd, "of former-adviser Gladys; while her death may be mourned by the public, since she was kind to the peasantry, I beg you take her demise as an example to what happens when you cross me. I do not like being lied to," another quick glance at the Reaper, who was becoming uncomfortable, "or disobeyed. You'll find that both of those acts--in collection with thousands of other offenses--are punishable by death. Or the breakage of a pact, if nessicary."

The Reaper ran a hand through his white hair, fiddling with the hilt of his dagger with his other hand. Both the Madam and the Doctor spared worried looks between each other before returning their attention to their Queen.

"Finally, I have an announcement." The Queen suddenly beamed, clapping her hands happily. "I'm pregnant!"

All jaws dropped to the dirt, and all in attendance suffered a sudden fit of choking.

*****

Theta looked behind her for the thousandth time, checking to make sure she had no tails. Seeing no one, she pulled a key out from inside her coat pocket and slid it into the old shack door's lock. Slipping inside the building with a last look at her tethered black horse she had tied up near by, Theta unsheathed a knife from its pouch, preparing for an attack. The person she was meeting could be dangerously unpredictable.

"You're late," Theta heard the whisper from the corner of the room, the voice raspy and menacing.

"Sorry!" Theta shrugged, dropping her bag on the floor. "I kept thinking someone was tailing me, so I had to use a plethora of tricks."

"Hmph." The sound of a chair creaking and floorboards squeaking preceded the sound of a figure walking smoothly across the shack. A tall hooded woman in a tight black bodysuit crossed her arms, her bright violet eyes shining in the gloominess of the stale shack. "If you say so. I'd like you to meet former High Lady Traditoryn. Lady Traditoryn, this is Lady Barryn, Demonic Luminex Grandmaster."

Another figure emerged from the shadows, and at first, Theta thought she was looking at Evora--with long hair. Upon closer inspection, however, it became obvious that this was not the case; this woman had the same colored hair and a similar facial structure, but her eyes were bright blue and her demeanor cold. She dressed like a noblewoman, her gown covered in gray, black, and pale yellow lace and silk. Delicate lace gloves covered her equally delicate hands, looking as if they hadn't so much as lifted a fork since she was born.

"Lady Barryn," Lady Traditoryn said stiffly, holding out her hand to Theta. Theta took it cautiously, eyeing the other woman suspiciously.

"You two have compatible personalities, I tell you." The woman dressed in black chuckled, crossing her arms as she stalked over to a far corner of the shack. "You're both terribly devious and find it hard to trust anyone until they have earned that honor."

"I'll agree to the devious bits," Theta growled. She was surprised when her sentence was finished by Lady Traditoryn.

"But I don't trust anyone." Lady Traditoryn arced an eyebrow at Theta. Both women smiled faintly at each other, and an obvious connection was formed.

"Whatever. Let's get this show saddled, shall we?" The woman in black--obviously the leader of the trio--looked curiously between the two women. "Now Theta, what can you tell us about our Fair Lady the Queen?"

Theta grinned cruelly, her eyes flashing in the trademark DL way.

"Quite a bit, my Lady. Quite a bit."


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 331
Reviews: 15

Donate
Sun May 25, 2014 8:52 pm
View Likes
TheBlackSheep wrote a review...



Hello, I'm The Black Sheep. I really like this piece that you've written but unfortunately my computer has been having some minor malfunctions and I was unable to read the first parts of your story. From what this chapter reveals however I am very intrigued and excited to read the beginning of the story as soon as my computer is repaired. You're a very talented writer, your voice and that of the characters is written exceedingly well which is rare in a writing piece. One small, almost insignificant grammatical error is the spelling of necessary as nessicary but as I said it's almost insignificant. Well written and I look forward to reading more.




User avatar
301 Reviews


Points: 20262
Reviews: 301

Donate
Sun May 25, 2014 12:50 am
View Likes
Snowery wrote a review...



Sherri! It's your buddy Silver back to review! :)

You know how this goes:

Main Points

Maybe he had finally found a replacement for Gladys


This line along with this:

involved with a careless person.


Makes me wonder if Akdel was romantically involved with Gladys? It's just a hunch. If it's right then I think this is a very interesting development, if not it's still interesting.

He flat-out ignored that voice,


No, Dr. Akdel! Noooo!

the Queen gives a certain type of energy to the Reaper, and the Reaper replaces it with a weaker type of energy.


I thought that this whole paragraph was great. The only thing was that I felt that this line could have been a little clearer. What type of energy does the queen give? It's said that the reaper would give a weaker energy so does the queen give a stronger one? Also you might not have to address this now but some thoughts to bear in mind (if you haven't already :) ) are:
-How does this energy know how many requests have been asked for?
-The method of exchange?
-Others which I had in my mind but have now forgotten :3

obviously the leader of the trio


It is obvious, you really didn't need to tell us.

Okay, so in chapter 3 or 4 I remember cautioning you about the personalities of the advisors, saying something like make sure you don't make them all sound like one person. I think that I really didn't need to because you've really done a good job at defining each of them. Giving them each a point of view in parts of your novel helps to define them and forward your plot well. I was especially happy to get an Akdel pov this time because I though he was one of the more dull advisors. I like how you've made him a slightly weaker personality amongst all these strong women and I like how you've revealed things about him like the fact that he easily succumbs to eyelash batting women. :)

My favourite characters at the moment are definitely the queen and even more so Evora. Even though think that Evora is totally not to be trusted, I think she's interesting and her eccentricity is somewhat humorous. Both of them are extremely well defined. Madame Viasra is growing on me as well for the same reasons and I feel that Theta is showing some personality as well. I would say that character development is actually one of the most well done aspects of this story, which is great because it's really quite crucial. I would like to leave a cautionary note though (yes, I know I like to caution), there are a lot of strong minded and powerful female characters in this story. I don't know if this has been done on purpose or not but there are barely any male characters and most of them seem weak (Akdel) or reliant upon the queen (reaper). There are barely any weaker female characters except maybe Gladys. I would urge you to just be more conscious about making sure that there is a nice variation on the characters and their personalities.

Besides all that it seem that the plot is progressing very well and you've added a few twists to keep us intrigued. I'm lookig forward t reading more. Keep it up and happy writing! :) :)

Silverlock




User avatar
557 Reviews


Points: 33593
Reviews: 557

Donate
Fri May 23, 2014 4:09 am
View Likes
Ventomology says...



My one and only comment today is to not always start a paragraph of dialogue with quotation marks. It's mostly an aesthetics thing, and makes the work look better, as well as helping the reader remember where they are.

Otherwise, awesome job!




Sherri says...


I think I see what you mean; I shouldn't start each stretch of dialogue with quotations, and should try to vary it?
Thanks for commenting, by the way :)



Ventomology says...


You're precisely right!




cron
Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.
— -Apple Inc.