16+ Violence Mature Content

Chapter 1: Missing Details (Editing still)

by Tiaradyson

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence and mature content.

Authors Note:

Thanks for reading some of my work for those who has. This is something me and my best friend are writing. Please tell me the needs, fixes.

Echoing soles of heels of men and women's dress shoes fill the silence as they look like dead people walking down the pavement. Their caved in cheeks sharpened their jawlines. No one looks witted, ambitious. Drastic towards life, brawny- traits that people seem to lack everyday when they walk out the house. They are like solid blocks of wood; standing, sitting, talking. It all is a bore as they mechanically shuffle their feet in the same direction.

30 feet high buildings in every shade of white; hang vicious grey faced models.The pavement is white, cemented all around by the gray hue. Pollute skies hides behind the blue and white clouds, dancing over the peoples heads playfully.

Shelly shuts the door behind her as she leaves out a clothing store. She looks up to the skies, and gleams to the story high buildings standing before her. Shelly exhales; willingly she loves this place. She lived in the homes of the Ashen or the pale faces and everything else is pale by comparison they knew her people as.

Brawny arms, tender and cold flex visibly through a skin tight silver sleeve shirt and jar Shelly back and out of thought. The pair of arms struggle to get around Shelly Barras's waist as he's speeding up behind her. He pokes around her gooey and pudgy waist while cheery giggles come

out her mouth. Shelly stifles her hand over her mouth and hides a glistering smile. They pace out the store out into the crosswalk.

“Pat, I can't believe we did it.” Pat and Shelly give each other a smirk. Pat had brown shaggy locks and warm musky, rich and honey like amber eyes. A mole on his left top lip, furry eye brows and a frown tatted on his face at all times.

“I told you we wouldn't get caught,” A villainous smile lingers over is face and his eyes so menacingly frightening looks down to her and kisses her ear hungrily. She likes it when he rakes her into affection.

“How long till they find out it was us?” Shelly's playful eyes turns to worry eyes. A smile that was draw upon her face drowns in sorrows.

“Who says they will?” Pat says, he seems so calm about it.

“They always find the bad guy,” Shelly searches for chocolate eyes she once loved about Pat, but when she looks at his eyes. She sees pass them and not only did she see a man named Pat, but a nineteen year old, who only makes five dollars an hour as a Night Guard for a

Diamond Museum.

“I won't let them take us,” he leans down and gives her a peck on the

lips.

“Are you sure?” She says, hoping Pat would keep his promises.

“I'm sure!” Urgently stung with anger and disdain, it slithers from out

his mouth in the harshest tone. Shelly rolls her eyes at Pat and starts her way down the crosswalk with him at her side. Shelly's curls dances with the wind, having a mind of it's own. Her tight

curls waving at the sudden blow in the air.

Every once and while, she'd comb her hair back from out her face with her hands. She's thought about having a band around her wrist when this happens. It just never occur to her that she would need it now. The forecast didn't call for wind, but the soft breeze became forceful winds pressing against her body. Roaring fans swirl and a black body over the heads of the

people come swooping down swiftly. Shelly and Pat's eyes wonders to the skies, flaring. Pats' eyes goes cold and his skin frost like an icicle. His skin so cold, it was if he had a visit from Jack Frost.

Shelly's worry eyes flickers to Pat and her eyes fall to his trembling hands. She reaches for his hand and gives it a tight squeeze. In seconds everyone starts looking, all heads gaze up; the dirt from the ground swirl and dance over their heads. Rising till the black skids lands on the surface and the dirt falls back to the floor, the helicopter lands. Shelly pulls Pat into a tight hug and smothers her head into his chest. She's sure they're looking for her and Pat.

“Don't stress yourself, as long as you don't cause a scene.” Pat nudges Shelly off of him and flexes his pecks.

“I'm not sure I can.” She sighs in discomfort. “Pat you know I can't lie, I didn't even want to do this!” Shelly's voice rises, but Pat slithers his tongue at her to hush her up. She bites at the scab of her lip and rolls her eyes away from him.

“Lets keep walking,” Pat turns the opposite direction of where the helicopter lands and speeds up; away from the scene. Yelling behind the two walkers leaving the scene, a white suited man; hair comb back, gelled and everything, a red tie scuffed in between his closed buttons, and black leather pointed toe shoes, comes bolting out the helicopter.

“Hello Ashens,” the suited man hollers. A squad circling from behind the helicopter, scatters to the front. Till they reach the suited mans side. Guns raised to the squads eyes, they squat their body, knees slant, body straight, legs far apart- enough room for them to walk- they slide their feet across the ground. Cautiously, their guns start pointing in every direction, and then at everyone.

“Don't leave yet, we have important news.” Shelly forks behind herself and locks eyes to the man, and she knows he's talking about them- Pat and Shelly. The suited man reaches into this jacket pocket for a slip of paper. The crease paper lifts into the air. He unfolds the paper and shapes up his voice. Clearing his throat, he opens his mouth to say,

“We have found evidence of murderers, theft, dealing and more. Weask of them to turn themselves in, and some did not. The other someof people do not want to take up for their actions and we will not allow that. It's insulting!” The suited mans eyes wonders aimlessly

to Shelly's.

Shelly slows her pace, trying not to make it look like a run- he's alreadycaught on that they're rushing out of there. She slowly walks behind Pat, but he finally breaks the habit of a speed walk to a run. Pulling Shelly by the hand.

“I think he knows,” Shelly gulps in fear.

“You shouldn't look behind, it'll cause a scene.”

“I'm not causing a scene, I'm just checking.”

“Don't let your stupidity get to you, keep running!” The words hurl out

his mouth effortlessly.

“And, checking to see they're looking makes me stupid?” Shelly grufflyreplies out of breath. Pat forks over his shoulder with eyesaccompanying them as he stares at her.

“You don't like when I do that, do you?” Shelly releases his hand and her bottom lip droops. She rolls her eyes with tears setting at the lids of her eyes as they jumble in line getting ready to roll down her cheek. Pat took Shelly in his hands and pecks at her moist lips.

“Now is not the time baby, we need to go. We will talk about this I promise.” Shelly nods in agreement and grasp his hand and they steadily shuffle their feet up the crosswalk. Shelly didn't bother looking back, and boy did she wish she did. She'd catch herself trying to see what he was talking about- the suited man with the paper- but Pat nudges her constantly to keep her eyes away. They almost make it to the corner up the street.

Her ears are alert- she's full aware of that- she still wants to be updated about the man

reading the paper. She occupies herself for the time being, she'd stare at the structure of his back, his muscles through his skin tight shirt. It seem to work, till Shelly hears the word “Barras,”

from behind and her whole body swings around.

Shelly springs into Pat's shoulder and panic shudders in her voice.“They

called my name!”

Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:05 am
Aley wrote a review...

Hello~ I don't normally review chapters, I tend to nitpick which isn't really needed.

I'll try to stick with the overall stuff that should be cleaned up in the next draft and you can do what you want with it. I'll ignore things like misspellings, improper punctuation, and poor word choice, but I am not going to ignore the words that are odd, or the ones that seem like you've got the words confused.

To start off, I think you've really got a nice dynamic between the two characters here. You have both sides to this coin, the frightened and the frightening, the would be innocent, and the cocky villain. I also really like the pace of this novel so far. You've got the idea of getting somewhere and moving on down when it comes to action for the plot.

That being said, there are some moments in your sentences where you could improve the speed by cutting out repetition. For instance, we know that the buildings are all mostly white, and yet you tell us it's a white building they go into. Why didn't you leave that adjective out and tell us something new, or, perhaps even more helpfully, describe this thing that comes out of the sky?

I feel like in some ways you're really good at the description, and in others you're not. For instance, I don't really know what Shelly or her boyfriend look like, but I know what the city looks like. I don't know what the man looks like, but I know he's in a suit. I have no idea what "Roaring fans swirl and a black body over the heads of the people come swooping down swiftly" describes. Where were these fans from? What came swooping down?

Also I thought the boyfriend got frozen magically or something when you described him meeting Frost, so you might want to tone down the poetic antics a bit at the beginning of the novel and just let it be what it will be.

Here are some more tips and specifics.

Their caved in cheeks sharpened their jawlines with sunken cheeks. No one looks witted, ambitious, drastic towards life, brawny- traits people seem to lack everyday when they walk out the house

These sentences have some problems for me from a flow aspect of this. The story seems to be talking backwards sometimes in these two sentences because it uses multiple adjectives to describe the same thing in the same sentence. At most, adjectives can be stacked to three for the reader to collect the data and move on, so the big, white, scary house. The reason being because our attention span is not exactly the best most of the time. If you can keep it interesting, you can drag people through really long sentences like a summer breeze. Same thought pattern; if you are repeating yourself, they want out of a sentence pretty fast.

When the door shuts behind her as she exits from one of the stores.

First off, when the door shuts, she's already exited a store, so it's a bit of a redundant time lapse. Also if we've got "when" and "as" in a sentence, that makes both parts fragments. When the clock struck two, as the sheep did baa, the farmer ate his bread. <- Note that there are three parts to this.
When and As both allow the parts to be collected and moved about the sentence.
The farmer ate his bread as the sheep did baa when the clock struck two.
As the sheep did baa, the farmer ate his bread when the clock struck two.
This last one is probably the least likely to occur naturally, but you see my point. If you just have when and as, you're left wanting something.

Her tight curls waving at the sudden blow in the air, like snakes slithering around like Medusa's hair did.

I really don't like this imagery. We're reading a novel, not a poem, so I feel like leaving most of this out would be better because allusions can get really confusing. After all, Medusa's hair wasn't something that suddenly did anything.

It just never acquire to her that she would need it now.

To acquire something is to get something, so really it never "occurred" to her.

Some more notes are simple. Keep an eye on your tense, and watch your words. For instance, I have no idea how someone forks over their shoulder, but people can glance, or peek over their shoulders.

For instance in this case: "The suited mans eyes wonders aimlessly to Shelly's," we have too many 's's on the end of these words. "The suited man's eyes wander aimlessly to Shelly's" is a much better phrasing and more grammatically accurate. Because it's plural, we don't really need the S on wander, and it is wander, not wonder. To wonder at something is something thoughts can do. You wonder about the next time a movie will play. You wander to the theater to see when that is.

I understand that you're co-writing this? I hope that any helpful hints that aught to be directed at the other writer will find them? After all, we're all here to improve and knowing what to catch of your partner's mistakes and your own will be better for all involved.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Tiaradyson says...

These were perfect agree with you 100% thank you

Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:53 am
AdjiFlex wrote a review...

Hey there. You reviewed my story so though I'm a little late, I'm returning the favor. First up, I am a fan of poetry, and there is poetry in much of what you write. Your descriptions are quite vivid, even over the top sometimes - I like that. After some setting up of the scene, we got right into it. Way to grab your readers' attention.

Now, on to the not so nice part, the technical stuff like grammar and all that. So there are some little glitches with spelling, syntax, grammar and formatting, and much of this could be due to simple typos that proofreading can iron out in a jiffy.

When I review, I read with a notepad on my screen and scribble. The story grabbed me, so after a few paragraphs I stopped reviewing and just started reading, but here are some glitches I found:

"woman's dress shoes" should probably be "women's dress shoes" in line 1.
Try not to use "cheeks" twice in line 3.

It might seem insignificant, but hyphenating words can clarify meaning. In the first sentence of paragraph 2 where you have "30 feet high buildings" maybe "30-feet-high buildings" might be a tad better, as for a thought of 30 individual buildings one feet high each. Well in this case the latter of the meanings is ridiculous so it's not too bad, but for future writing, hyphenating can disambiguate and clarify a lot.

Watch the accidental paragraph breaks. This can be quite distracting.

Be careful of your subject-verb agreement. ("pollute skies hides" should be "pollute[d] skies hide").

Also, look out for fragmentations like "When the door shuts behind her as she exits from one of the stores." Make them into sentences.

Your story and characters are really nice. Just sort out the little glitches. I'll read more of this as soon as I see it posted up!

Tiaradyson says...

Don't ever do me favors. lol I don't handle favors well, cause I get paranoid like! WTF I bet you're lying. or youre kissing my ass for doing something for you.

Sorry I am paranoid

Tiaradyson says...

but I agree 100% and this piece you pointed out. I've been stuck on cause I was wondering whats the right term.
"woman's dress shoes" should probably be "women's dress shoes" in line 1
Thank you and sorry for the paranoia. After I got slammed pretty hard on some ideas and stuff by random people. I've taken advice and nice comments to a whole different route. My bad, really am.

AdjiFlex says...

Heh. Sorry for saying it's a favor - didn't mean any harm, really. Just grateful that you reviewed my work so I'm reviewing yours that's all.

Noelle wrote a review...

So I was hanging out in the Green Room and found this. How come no one has reviewed this?? But it doesn't matter 'cause I'm here to give you a review :)

It all seems too bright. White this, and white that.

I feel like this would work better if you used a semi-colon instead. "White this, and white that" is a fragment. Now, I'm not really one to nitpick about fragments because it could be a writer's style, but here I think it doesn't work out. Since it's the opening to the novel, I'd say make it an actual sentence.

First things first, the formatting is a bit off here. I know that the site likes to be weird sometimes and mess with the format so I'm sure it was just a mistake.

I really enjoy the relationship between Shelly and Pat. It reminds me of a Bonnie and Clyde relationship; stealing and causing trouble, but there's a love story there all the time. Pat even seems to be the Clyde in this situation, always the voice of reason, as much reason as a thief can have, and the one who keeps Shelly going the right way.

There's a good bit of description here, which is nice. Sometimes people wimp out on descriptions in the beginning because they want to get to the good part of the story. But you did a good job mixing the two. You give the descriptions and tell the story at the same times.

We don't know much about this world that the story takes place in. Of course, since it's the first chapter, I wouldn't expect much information about the world. I do know that there are people called Ashens. I'm wondering, is that a certain person or just all the people in general?

If you wrote any more of this I'd be happy to read more! I know you posted this all the way back in May, but I'd love to read more :)

**Noelle**

Tiaradyson says...

I didn't post this in May lol I posted this yesterday lol
Thank you and I do need more info on ashen lol it's suppose to be in chapter 2 lol
I will fix my mistakes

A true poet does not bother to be poetical. Nor does a nursery gardener scent his roses.
— Jean Cocteau