Solitude

by Cheetah

There was a man.

He talked when no one was near,
And sang when no one would listen.

He walked the shores of solitude,
With waves no one could understand.

Day and night he lived alone,
And slept with no one beside him.

But he wasn't lonely. He had his thoughts,
And the stories, his friends.

He was not alone.

MargoSeuss wrote a review...

Hi, Cheetah. Margo here to comment. I was just par-oozing through you poetry and stumbled upon this piece, with which I totally commiserate. I'm a bit like this man in that I don't have many friends and I live on my own. However, like this man, I am not lonely because I have my thoughts and my stories.

You portrayed the idea of being 'introverted' beautifully. The reason I left this as a comment is because I can't see anywhere where you could improve this poem, but I wanted to let you know I enjoyed it.

<3

Cheetah says...

Thank you very much!

Niraco wrote a review...

Hello there, I hope you're having an awesome review day - I know I am! Anyway let's get right to it shall we.

Solitude has been a topic for poems for a long, long time. I liked that the poem didn't feel dark nor depressing as so many poems about being alone tend to do. This added an element of originality to your work which was very refreshing.

He walked the shores of solitude,
With waves no one could understand.

I liked how you used alliteration in 'shores of solitude'. Maybe it's because I am an English student and have been trained to stop such techniques that I was drawn to it so quickly.

I also love the structure of your poem. I liked that you had 1 line, 2 lines, 2 lines, 2 lines, 2 lines and then ended on 1 line again. What I noticed was if you take away all the 2 lines then the poem still makes sense:

There was a man,

He was not alone.

It's a strange thing that I noticed. If you put this in intentionally is something only you know. If you didn't well then it's a nice little bonus reason to enjoy your poem.

All in all i really adored this poem. The structure, the tone, the words you used - everything about it was great. This poem was a joy to read and is one of the best poems I have read in a long, long time.

Cheetah says...

Thank you! :D

Mon May 12, 2014 1:32 am
verymaryanna wrote a review...

Hello! Let's review :)

First off, I really like your take on being alone. A lot of times, poetry about being alone surrounds darkness and being upset and unhappiness and just a whole swirl of negative connotation. Props to you for taking the different road- some people just don't mind being alone!

Nitpicks:
- Really the only thing that really stood out to me was the fifth stanza (if it's really a stanza?? We'll just go with that). To me, it's just worded a little funny. Just play around with to see if you agree.

Honestly, I loved it. To me, it was really easy to connect to and it was a great portrayal of someone who is alone but isn't lonely.

I really hope to see more of your work soon. Keep writing! :)

- verymaryanna

Cheetah says...

Thank you for the review! The third stanza didn't really want to be a sentence so I just let it be, but I'll look into straightening it out soon. :)

Mon May 12, 2014 12:09 am
Sherri wrote a review...

Hi Cheetah; this is Sherri :) Adorable avatar! :D
I didn't see any grammar or spelling errors, so you're all good on that. I wanted to let you know how much I loved this idea; a man alone with his thoughts and his stories, and yet he is happy, right? He doesn't feel isolated or alone because he has his mind and his (or someone else's) writing. It's a beautiful--and quite true, in some cases--concept. I loved the imagery you used, especially in the line "...the shores of solitude,"; it's really creative!
Also, I don't know if you meant to do this, but I noticed that--excluding the first and final line--everything else is arranged in stanzas with two lines. If you only read the two singular lines, you get "There was a man. He was not alone." That's awesome, whether you intended it or not! :D
Anyways, great job! Can't wait to see what else you write! :)

Cheetah says...

The greatest part of a writer’s time is spent in reading, in order to write; a man will turn over half a library to make one book.
— Samuel Johnson