A Songbird's Signal

by WritingWolf

Note - This poem is written following the format of a villanelle, only without the rhyming scheme. I know it would probably be much better with a rhyme, I just haven't been able to get it to rhyme in a way I like yet.

A songbird caged,
locked away in the dark,
to be a signal to all.

Shy and unsure,
it's easy to feel like
a songbird caged.

Canaries, so delicate,
used in a coal mine
to be a signal to all.

It's hard to remember
there is a reason
a songbird is caged.

Stumbling and blind,
we need someone
to be a signal to all.

At times I wonder
if it's a bad thing, to be
a songbird caged.
To be a signal to all.

Fri May 30, 2014 2:09 am
Rurouni wrote a review...

Hey! Rurouni here to review!
May Poetry Exchange 2014!

Let me tell you, you had me counting your lines and everything to ensure it was a villanelle. I'm not very familiar with the style, so be proud you had me look into this more!

I won't nitpick at your rhyming, though I would agree it might sound better with the rhyming of the Tercet.

Anyways! Let me review away!

Shy and unsure,
it's easy to feel like
a songbird caged.

I don't quiet understand the bolded. You have a nice feel, but for some reason a songbird caged... It doesn't seem right to me. (I did ask someone and they didn't know why it sounded strange as well) I believe it just sounds... Awkward, which is the best way I can describe it... Maybe rework that line? Maybe a songbird that is caged?

You have that same sentence in the last stanza, but I won't pick at that.

This is a bit round about and you keep telling us that the songbird is a signal to us all. Its alright, some people would disagree, but that's up to you.

I like this because

a) I got to look up a new type of poem!
b) I like the way you describe the bird.
And simply because its a nice poem!

Keep up the good work!
I really do like this poem. (I even liked it!)

Well, this one must wander off now!

May Poetry Exchange 2014!

Always,

Shad~

Rook wrote a review...

This was very simple. I enjoyed it's simplicity and meaning.
I don't really think you need any rhyme here. I'm happy you didn't have it, actually because most likely the rhyme would be forced in places, and I'm of an opinion that no rhymes are better than forced ones (I'm such a hypocrite :P ). Because this doesn't rhyme, I'd hesitate to call it a villanelle. The repeated lines remind me of those few songs birds know, they repeat the same thing over and over, but it's beautiful each time. This is like that. And you give a new meaning each time you repeat a line.

I think this needs a little bit more string to connect things together, if you know what I mean. I feel like you jump around a bit. Were you referring to a canary the whole time, or just that one stanza? Make it clear! And regardless if you were or you weren't, connect that fact to the other stanzas.
This is another way you should connect them together.
The first stanza is an introductory stanza, it doesn't really need to be connected in a way that makes sense, as it's connected to the whole poem! Same with the conclusion.

it's easy to feel like
a songbird caged.

The second stanza makes me want the third stanza to talk about /how/ we can feel like a caged bird, but instead you talk about something else, the canaries.

It's hard to remember
there is a reason
a songbird is caged.

I feel like this doesn't fit after the canary stanza, because that was all about why birds are caged! And then you say you can't remember. It sounds like you're having memory issues or something.

Stumbling and blind,

I feel like this would go better after the canary stanza because it's dark in caves... or something like that.
And then I think that I'm not sure this one is the best to go before the concluding stanza, because the way you have it makes it sound like "We need a hero (the bird).... Some times I think it'd be okay to be a hero, but originally it sounds bad." This may be a bit confusing, but I find that weird, because originally we think being a hero would be super cool, but later we think, based on all the hard things they have to go through, it may not be so fun. It just sends conflicting messages.

I hope you can see what I mean by how these aren't connected very well. I know that if you rearrange them, they will definitely not fit the villanelle format, but I really don't think you need that.

All this said, I very much enjoyed this simple little poem! Good job, keep writing!
~fortis

Hecate wrote a review...

Hey there!

Hecate to review :) Apologies for not getting to this sooner, but I am amid cramming for exams at the moment.

I like the overall flow of the poem, and I think the poem itself sounds beautiful. I'd like to concentrate mostly on meaning/ imagery within it.

I can't help but wonder whether your influence for the caged bird comes from Maya Angelou's "I know why the caged bird sings". It's one of my favorite poems, so the moment I read that first line it reminded me of it. This is either good or bad, depending on what you want your poem to evoke, of course.

A songbird caged,
locked away in the dark,
to be a signal to all.

At first I was a little bit confused by this stanza, because it stated that the songbird was locked away in the dark (i.e. away from most people), but then its also a signal to all? Then, I realized that the song of the songbird might be what people can hear i.e. it's a signal though the can't see it. I thought that was clever imagery.

Canaries, so delicate,
used in a coal mine
to be a signal to all.

Is your poem about child labor? Or is this just clever imagery that I fail to understand!

It's hard to remember
there is a reason
a songbird is caged.

I did not quite understand this stanza. It may have something to do with the word order, I did not know whether you meant that it's hard to remember if there is a reason that the songbird is caged or whether you can't quite remember the reason the songbird was caged. Maybe the ambiguity is what you intended though, in which case, good for you!

Stumbling and blind,
we need someone
to be a signal to all.

This is my favorite line of the poem. Though I don't quite understand why the caged songbird is our signal! Here, it sounds like the 'signal' is almost a role model, or someone to lead us into the light as it were.

Overall, I liked the poem. I felt that at times the stanzas were more of separate stories, not following naturally after one another, but perhaps that it what you intended! Aaah! This is why it's so difficult o review poetry, it truly comes from the heart, so it's like pretending you have the expertise to look into someone's soul and tell them that this part is right and this isn't. I can't review the technical stuff, call you out on your cliche or anything, because to me there were no technical errors, nor were there any clichés.

Keep writing,

Hecate

WritingWolf says...

Thank you for the review!

When writing this I was thinking about how miners used to take canaries down into their mines with them. That was because canaries are so sensitive to gases, if the miner got close to a gas pocket the canary would die long before the humans, so the miners would know not to mine in that direction anymore.
The poem might make a little more sense if you read it with that in mind.

dogsrule5 wrote a review...

Hi there, I am here to review!

I will start with the nitpicks first.

At times I wonder
if it's a bad thing, to be
a songbird caged.
To be a signal to all.

So I see you wanted to repeat the signal thing, like in your other stanzas. That's okay, but it makes it four lines when the other stanzas are three. It just seemed kind of disorganized to me, but feel free to leave it that way because the repetition of the signal line is poetic and fits in well with the flow. One thing, I just thought of, that would make it even better than just leaving it that way is doing something like this:

At times I wonder
if it's a bad thing, to be
a songbird caged.

To be a signal to all.

Or something like that.

Other than that I saw no mistakes. On to the things I liked and enjoyed.

I really, like I mentioned before, like the repetition of the signal to all line. It feels really poetic and pretty that way.

I also like everything else. Yeah, I don't want to type every single thing about your poem that I liked if I liked everything because that would take a long time.

Keep up the great writing!
Love, dogsrule5/Em101cats (right now we are taking turns reviewing for points on dogsrule5's account at her house.)

Sat May 10, 2014 12:45 am
thebrightestfell wrote a review...

I've actually only encountered a few villanelle and that was in certain Literature classes, so frankly I'm a little unsure of the exact technical parts of it and if I spout out something completely crazy just ignore me.

However, I do have proficient experience as a reader and can give you some feedback on that!

For the most part this poem actually seems quite strong to me. It has a unique, but recognizable pattern throughout and maintains a flow despite the restrictions of the pattern. The phrase "to be a signal to all" is a little choppy or a bit of a mouthful to me and it may fit better if slightly altered to "as a signal to all." That may or may not work for the fifth stanza (which seems like it depends on the "to be") so perhaps you think of something better in a way to condense it or maybe a different phrase altogether with similar/exact meaning? Other than that the flow and the two key lines seem like they work well together.

I do find the fourth verse a little out of place. I see how the fifth verse is used to sort of "reinforce" or "answer" the unspoken question the fourth introduces (which, to me, was "why do we need a songbird caged?") but really you don't have to ask that question when it was answered or explained at the very beginning--"A songbird [is] caged---to be a signal to all." The fourth verse seems still versus the dynamics of the other verses and I feel like it is taking the reader back rather than bringing them forward.

In the end, thought, to me, the main concern is that the author is pleased, so you must work with the critiques and find what fits as only you know what you want. I liked this poem a lot and, as I mentioned in the beginning, thought it was extremely strong. It was also a very pretty villanelle from my limited experience and was able to keep the same idea and not bore the reader despite the repeating phrases required.

Thank you so much for sharing and if you have any questions or desire to discuss anything from the review you can reply or PM me anytime! :)

-Bright

Ohh, I always like the trickiness and delicacy of a villanelle, and I think you worked through that tricky form and came out with a genuine meaning, which is like the hardest thing to do, haha.

Here are some things I think could be improved as you think about rhyming:

1. Try to avoid the strange old-timey language that is not necessary and increases the distance between your poem and the reader. Phrases like "a signal to all" is a little awkward, 'cause we'd more naturally say "a signal for everybody" or "a signal everyone can see" or something clunkier.

2. Try to keep a flow of meaning from the beginning to the end. Right now, it's a little choppy. For example, the second stanza doesn't seem to fit with any of the others, which kind of focus on the coal mines and feeling blind. The second stanza is about feeling like the bird, which is a feeling not found in any of the other parts, except revisited at the last stanza. Confusing. There are two ideas floating around here, and I'm not saying you can't work with both of them, but you'll have to try to weave them a little tighter.

:)

I hope this review is helpful to you! This is a great idea and I know you can get it to the level you want it at!
PM or comment on the review if you have questions~
Good luck and keep writing!

Hannah

WritingWolf says...

Thank you for the lovely review!
Do you have any specific advice for how I could intertwine the two ideas more?

Hannah says...

Hmm. I think it would be best to come from a connection you make, but some hints toward trying to find that connection would be looking for imagery, emotion, location, or something else that they have in common. For example, the caged bird looks out of the cage like miners may look out of the mine shaft when they come out. That same peering out would give an image as well as tie the two ideas together.

Even just giving the two ideas equal time in the poem might work. Right now you have 2 stanzas from the bird's POV versus the rest. Evening it out might make it seem more intentional!

WritingWolf says...

I see...

Also, do you think that changing "to be a signal to all" to "as a signal to all" would help with the choppiness?

Hannah says...

It does sound better that way!

the only theft here is of decency when carina decided to rob me of my pride and put me on a banana
— veeren