Endless dreams(Chapter 2)

by CatherinKanya

Ira and Taqeef sat on the sandy floor of the desert eating some groundnuts that Ira had brought with her. She still looked much tensed and hadn’t spoken a word throughout the long walk. Taqeef looked around like a curious kid, scanning the place to find something new and exciting.

“I have always dreamed of travelling around the world, you know. You might think I am a very strong soldier, but within I am a softie. And don’t tell this to anyone, but lately a have grown fond of teddy bears. You know Edgar right, the boy next door? Well he got a gift from his sister who lives in Budapest. It was a big fluffy teddy bear. Oh how nice it looked. Yeah so you know I am a softie within. Like they say, there’s a girl hiding within me.” Taqeef giggled.

Ira gave a sharp glance.

“Just trying to defuse the tension here” he said.

Ira got up and started to walk. “We better get going before the men come searching for us.”

“You think?”

Ira looked back, confused.

“You think they had come searching for us? Never. In fact they have been waiting to shoo us away from that place.”

Ira started walking without saying a thing. And yet again they walked miles and miles without talking anything. Taqeef looked around in marvel as they neared a small market place that looked grand and organized unlike the Taliban markets. Fruits, vegetables, clothes, scarves, toys etc neatly arranged in small stalls. And to Taqeef’s surprise, he couldn’t find any stall selling bullets and pistols and stuff of that sort.

“So where are we?” Taqeef asked.

“I guess we have reached Lowy Bala Karz.”

They walked past stalls, their eyes glued to the fruits. They could hear their stomach rumbling. Ira looked into her bag to see whether she had any money but all she had was 3 Afghani coins. She looked around. The market was quite crowded but she hoped no one would notice her. She asked Taqeef to keep quiet and slowly walked towards a fruit stall. She made sure no one was looking at her and then quickly grabbed two apples in both hands. She put them inside her bag and pulled Taqeef along with her as they walked swiftly through the market. Taqeef looked back just to be sure. People were staring at them and the stall’s shopkeeper stared at them mumbling something under his breath.

“Run!” Taqeef whispered. The both of them raced out the market as fast as they could. The market was very big and seemed to be never ending, yet they ran and ran without turning back. At last they could see the market end. They stopped for breath at the last stall and turned back. Nobody seemed to have been chasing them. And the market crowd at this end looked confused. Ira and Taqeef looked at each other and burst out laughing.

*****

“I used to have so much fun with my father. Though I was very small, I can still remember everything crystal clear. Weird isn’t it? Now I am 20 and all that happened about 16 years ago. Guess I have a good memory.”

Taqeef looked into Ira’s brown eyes and smiled. “Guess you now live a miserable life here. You know all the shooting and deaths.”

“How did you grow up here? Don’t you have a dream? Freedom. Live a life without the fear of dying tomorrow?”

“You think I don’t want to change my life?”

“You do?”

“When I was little, growing up in this war field was scary. But as I kept growing up I adapted myself to this environment, but I still had dreams. I just had to put all this behind me until the right time.”

“Right time?”

“Now. Now’s the right time. I was waiting for you to pull me away from that horrible place.”

“How do you know I was going to?”

Taqeef took a bite of his apple and sat quietly, chewing it.

“Great. No answer.”Ira started biting into her apple like an animal while Taqeef chewed slowly like a gentleman with a smile on his face.

“So where are you planning on going? How can we fly out of this place?”

Ira stopped eating and turned to face Taqeef. She took out her pistol and smirked. Taqeef smiled nefariously.

Noelle wrote a review...

Hi there! Noelle back again for a Review Day review!

Ah, so now all of the events in chapter 1 make sense. I'm glad that you explained that early on in this chapter. Now I feel like all of my questions are answered. Well, maybe not all of them, but definitely a large majority of them. Some of this explanation could've been well used in chapter 1. For example, the part about growing up in a war infested area. You could've easily snuck in a worry or two that Ira had that something would happen while she was asleep and she'd wake up to gun shots. Something along those lines. Make sense? Basically I'm saying that I would've liked to see a bit more information about Ira and Taqeef's lives in the first chapter.

Again, your voice here is really strong and you write this story well. Even though there isn't a lot of description of the surroundings, I feel like I'm traveling alongside Ira and Taqeef as they attempt to escape their old lives. I think that is all thanks to your character development. I feel like your characters are real people and I understand who they are and what they want. It's rare that you find that in such an early chapter. Good job with that.

I like the scene where Ira steals those apples and they race out of the market. It's a great action scene and I want to point out a few things just so you can make it better:

1) There's no way that Ira would get away with stealing something in a crowded market without someone noticing her do it. I'd suggest putting in somewhere that when she turned back around there was a woman, or man, eyeing her suspiciously. That then could cause her to be a bit panicky and decide to run.

2)

yet they ran and ran without turning back.

Alright, I don't want to sound mean, but I really hate it when people write stuff like "they ran and ran" or they "thought and thought" or they "ate and ate". If they ran a long while, say they ran a long while. If they thought a lot, say they thought a lot. The way you wrote it actually slows down the pace. Instead of me imagining them racing through the market, I imagine them just running without an end. Which is what you were trying to describe, but at the same time you want to give the impression that they're hustling to get out of there. You want to keep the pace fast at this point.

“We better get going before the men come searching for us.”

You still haven't explained why the men are so important. This sentence has so much potential. It could really tug at my emotions for one thing. If the men kill anyone who leaves the village, that would make me feel darn right nervous for Ira and Taqeef. See? Right now it's just an empty sentence to me. I want to feel something when I read it. Let me feel the panic and desperation that Ira is feeling. Let me feel the nonchalantness that Taqeef feels. I don't just want to know how your characters are feeling. I want to feel those same emotions as well.

The only other thing I have to say about this chapter is that there is a lot of dialogue. Dialogue is always good, but you don't want to have too much of it. In the second half of the chapter, after the asterisks, there is no description. Where are your characters now? Are they just hanging out in the desert? Do they have any shelter? Do they have anywhere to go or is there just plain, empty desert in front of them. I want to have a clear picture in my mind as to their surroundings. I know about your characters, now tell me about your setting and their surroundings.

Like I said before, you write this story very well. Keep up the good work. In future chapters I would like to see some more descriptions as well as some more backstory.

Please let me know when you post the next chapter! I would love to read it :)

**Noelle**

Thu May 15, 2014 2:15 am
SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...

Hello there, Wolf is back for another review!
So I remember in your last chapter it left off with a cliff hanger and left a lot of unanswered questions. Now I had hoped that these questions would be answered here, but it just left off the same way here as the last chapter. It just seemed like the last event never happened.
Another thing I usually get confused on who is talking and when.
For example:
In the beginning when Ira thought they were being followed, I believe Taqeef said something twice, but I can not be sure. The ending so confused me, and I had to reread it several times before I could semi-comprehend what was happening.
Another point: Description. Now I myself have been given a lecture (very recently actually) about showing not telling. I recommend you do they same here. You tell us there is a market place, but why don't you show us?
You seem to do a time skip, when you say they walk for a few more miles, but it seems odd to me. I get they walk for a long time, but walking 'a few miles' would literally take hours. Is that what you intended? I also know this isn't written in first person, but I still think you should probably include more about what your characters are feeling and thinking.
Now, not to be rude, but I find it really hard to believe that your characters are as old as you say they are. They act so much younger than how old they are.
Other than that, I like where this is headed, this is a unique concept that I haven't seen before. I really cannot wait to see more of this! Keep up the good work:
~Wolfare

Wolfare1 says...

I feel my reviewing skills have improved since the last time I reviewed you, hope I helped!!

Make sure you marry someone who laughs at the same things you do.
— Holden Caulfield