z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language Mature Content

Suicide Blonde - Chapter 3 - Telephone Box

by Renard


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language and mature content.

Poppy had flung herself at Arabella, sinking her nails into the dress and ripping at. Feeling the fabric crushed beneath her fingers. She had grabbed at Arabella's hair and pulled it, until she sunk to the ground before ramming her into the side of the bar. Upon hearing her skull crash against the hard wooden surface, a sense of sick satisfaction rose in Poppy. She had the power over the situation now.

The remnants of the black dress hung in tatters over Arabella's body. Satiated with the result of her work, Poppy helped herself to the liquor from the bar. She had to wait for the hotel security to arrive and escort her from the premises. In the mean time, she saw fit to take advantage of the unmonitored alcohol. She was on her third glass.

Huddled at the opposite side of the room, Will was talking in hushed tones with Arabella. On occasion, he shot a disgusted look in Poppy's general direction. However, Arabella didn't even appear distraught. Maybe she had expected it? Poppy thought to herself.

"Miss Hartley?" a gruff, male voice spoke over Poppy's shoulder. It was so unexpected it made her jump, and spill some of her drink over the rim of the glass. She turned to see a tall man in a dark suit, staring at her somewhat disapprovingly.

"Y-es?" she hiccupped.

"Hotel security Madam. I'd ask you to leave quietly if you would." The man had a round, pug-like face, but Poppy didn't find him threatening in the least. She guessed the liquor might have had something to do with it.

"Of course," she nodded slowly, hauling herself away from the bar stool and staggering into the meaty arms of the security guard. He smelt strongly of cologne which made her gag slightly. For a moment, she thought she was going to vomit, but the sensation passed.

As she was lead from the bar, many faces stared at her in bewilderment. Apart from Will and his tart's she didn't recognise the others. Faceless guests, staying at the Chateau that she would probably never see again in her life. With Will, she hadn't made eye contact for some time. Poppy had realised he would side with Arabella. Naturally, the mistress would play the role of the victim. The guard took her as far as the foyer, where the clerk handed her coat and keys over the desk.

"I don't think you're in a fit state to drive, Madam," the clerk reminded her.

"No," Poppy hiccupped again.

"Do you have money Madam?"

"What f-or?" (Poppy hiccupped) and slumped over the desk, resting her chin on her hands and looked blankly up at the clerk.

"A cab. Or the phone box?" the clerk suggested.

"Yes. I do I have a mobile phone-" but Poppy stopped as she rummaged in her pockets and came away empty handed. "My purse, my phone," she whimpered. She must have left them in the hotel room, for which Will would have the room key and it would be impossible for her to persuade security to let her enter the main hotel again; and she doubted that Will would run back to the room to fetch her things for her.

"What about your phone and purse, Madam?" the clerk asked dumbly.

"They're gone," and tears began falling from Poppy's hazy eyes. The clerk's attempts to comfort her had failed, given that she had dropped each tissue he handed her before she'd collapsed on the floor in front of his desk.

"Should I get Mr Edmon for you, Madam?"

"Would you? That would be wonderful," Poppy grinned inanely, and wiped the tears from her face with the back of her hand. She rescued a tissue from the floor and wiped her stinging eyes with it. Somehow, in the process, she had completely eradicated all and any thoughts of Will being angry at her.

A few moments later, the clerk reappeared with Will. Poppy could barely hear their conversation as they towered over her (she was still on the floor) and her ears seemed to be filled with some sort of bubbles that prevented her from hearing properly.

"She's a mess, get her home!" Will demanded.

"She has no money Sir," the clerk answered meekly.

"Here," a rustling noise in the background roused Poppy, whose head had previously been keeling over her shoulder.

"Thank you Sir. Would you like to talk to the lady?"

But Poppy didn't hear Will's voice again. He had walked away. The clerk crouched in front of her, pressed the notes and coins into Poppy's sweaty palms and spoke:

"I'll take you as far as the phone box Madam."

He held out his hand to Poppy, who merely stared at it in confusion. Eventually, the clerk helped her place Will's money safely in her coat pocket, before steadying her arms and helping her to her feet. She stumbled forwards, resting on the clerk as he dragged her through the foyer into the street.

At night, Broodge Street became a different place. The Chateau Rouge was the only reputable place in the area. Everywhere else was rather questionable. A land of violence, assaults and newspaper articles waiting to occur. Poppy only ever ventured there to go to the Rouge; and as she thought of this, it occurred to her that she may never be able to do that again. Or at least, not for some time. All thanks to Will and his whore.

Finally, the clerk had pulled Poppy along to the phone box, in the pouring rain. By the time they reached the shelter of the glass walls they were drowned to their skin.

"You alright now Madam?" he stared at Poppy's dropping eyes.

"Divine. Thank you. I shall make my way from here," she slurred. The clerk nodded.

"I hope what remains of your evening improves, Madam," and with a sort of bow, he left Poppy.

Sheltered and alone Poppy lifted her head from the glass wall, where she had rested and found a sticker adhered to her forehead. Pealing it off, she examined it. An advertisement for a high end escort service. In disgust, she discarded it before slotting the coins from her pocket into the machine and dialling the only number she could think of.

One ring.

Two rings.

Three rings.

Four, five, six- "What?" a voice growled from the receiver.

"Mitchell!" Poppy wailed.

"Who is this?" the voice snapped. "Oh wait, Poppy, is that you?" the voice asked.

"Y-es, yes. I need your help," she coughed down the phone, feeling bile rise in her throat.

"What have you gotten yourself into this time?" Mitchell's voice replied. Although she couldn't see him, Poppy was sure he would have rolled his eyes at her. Whenever she had been involved in mischief before, she and Mitchell were always in it together. This time - she hadn't meant to operate alone.

"I need a place to stay for the night. I'm too inebriated to drive," she explained.

"Good lord, my Poppy, a drunkard?" Mitchell laughed airily. "Where are you darling?"

"Broodge Street."

"Sweet Caroline, are you alone?" Poppy nodded dumbly at the phone.

"I'll take that as a yes. Were you at the Rouge?" Mitchell added, sounding concerned.

"Yes, but I was thrown out," Poppy had started to cry again.

"Hush now. I'll be right over. Stay where you are... actually, where are you?"

"A telephone box."

"A tele-I'll ask later, when you're sober." Mitchell corrected himself.

Poppy could hear rustling interference at the other end of the line.

"I'll be there in ten, alright old girl? Stay put." The line went dead.

Its sudden beeping annoyed Poppy and she pushed it away from her ear and slammed it down onto the cradle. She glanced around, through the transparent walls of her glass cage at her surroundings. The dank night made her feel worse. Cold from the rain, and shivering slightly she wondered if would catch pneumonia from the cold.

Why had she done it? How had she done it? At once, all these thoughts became too much. She felt herself falling.

*

Warmth. Poppy woke some time later in a large, double bed. A familiar face appeared over her and clearing her bleary eyes she registered it as Mitchell.

"Where am I?" she asked drowsily.

"My master bedroom. Good morning." He lifted a tray of food onto the bed and placed it gently in Poppy's unsuspecting lap. The smell of the freshly buttered croissant and the sweet apple juice made her stomach turn.

"Get it away from me," she recoiled, covering her face with her hand and trying not to breathe.

"My, my, we are dramatic this morning. However, I thought a hangover might be the case," Mitchell said, sounding all-knowing. He leant over Poppy to take the tray back and replaced it with a glass of water and a white tablet.

"Dispersible aspirin, the alcoholic's breakfast," Mitchell teased.

"I am not an alcoholic. Irresponsible yes, a drunken fool no," Poppy rose from the covers and seized the glass in one hand, she dropped the aspirin in and watched it dissolves before taking gentle sips.

"The tabloids would argue the contrary," Mitchell threw something in Poppy's general direction that landed on the bed next to her.

"You made the front page," Mitchell announced, as Poppy unfurled the newspaper and examined the headline:

CRAZED ACTRESS STAGES DRESS REHEAR-BRAWL

"Oh for goodness sake!" Poppy cried.

"What? You don't think your actions were newsworthy?" Mitchell reclined in his winged chair next to the bed, balancing a cocktail glass in one hand and a second copy of the newspaper in the other.

"It's not that," Poppy continued.

Mitchell raised his eyebrows as a gesture for her to continue.

"Why did it have to make the tabloid press? I was exclusively broadsheet with all my previous features," Poppy sighed, throwing the paper ide.

"Ah I see. Tabloids aren't good enough for a woman of your calibre," Mitchell chuckled dryly to himself, whilst sipping at his cocktail.

Poppy noticed how he seemed to be enjoying himself. Then, she supposed it was a change for Mitchell to actually have company - especially of the friendly kind.

"I saw one of your advertisements in the phone box," Poppy remarked.

"Did you really? And what did you think?" he sounded incredulous.

"It's not particularly tasteful."

"Less tasteful than starting a brawl in a bar?" Mitchell looked down his nose at Poppy.

"Touche," she sighed.

"You sound defeated Poppet," Mitchell clucked his teeth at her. Poppet. Mitchell hadn't called her that since they were children. It brought back fond memories. The reminiscence soon passed due to Mitchell's persistent questions.

"So what's your plan now?" he asked.

"I'm going to go home. And see what awaits me there but - oh shit," Poppy gave a resentful look at no one in particular.

"What?"

"I've left my car at the Chateau Rou-"

"No. I asked my driver to collect it for you last night. Took the liberty of giving him your keys. Hope you don't mind. The Jag's round the back," Mitchell grinned.

"How do you do it?" Poppy gazed at him.

"Do what?" Mitchell shrugged. He was also so nonchalant about receiving compliments. She gestured wordlessly with her hands.

"You're just so..."

"Sexy? Charming? Efficient?" Mitchell suggested, winking at her.

"Efficient yes, and there's something else."

"I'm just fabulous, Poppet," Mitchell concluded for her. Poppy smiled at that.

"Thank you for all your help, but I really need to get home," Poppy pulled the covers away and wobbled to her feet.

"One, final question," Mitchell added.

"Yes?"

"What happens if when you get back, that woman is there?"

Arabella. Poppy had tried not to dwell of this eventuality but she couldn't deny the thought had crossed her mind.

"I'll get rid of her," Poppy winked at Mitchell.

"And how do you plan to do that?"

"However I see fit," and Poppy pulled her dress over herself and strode past Mitchell, giving him a kiss on the cheek.

"Be careful Poppet. Don't want you making the front page for the wrong reasons."


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
102 Reviews


Points: 2999
Reviews: 102

Donate
Sun May 25, 2014 10:41 am
View Likes
BellaRoma wrote a review...



I'm curious. The plot appears to be deepening, particularly at the end of the chapter. Poppy has already attacked Arabella and I now wonder how far she'll go. It seems quite exciting that we don't know exactly how far. I am so going to keep reading on as I too am interested in the title 'Suicide Blonde' and how that may fit into the plot. I'm mainly thinking "which blonde will it be?"
Good job so far.
BellaRoma




User avatar
301 Reviews


Points: 20262
Reviews: 301

Donate
Sat May 10, 2014 7:17 am
View Likes
Snowery wrote a review...



Hey BSif!! Silver back to review another chapter!!

So the first thing I want to say is: Mitchell? As in THE Mitchell :D Though I doubt he's a polar bear in this one. ;)

Main Points

But Poppy didn't hear Will's voice again. He had walked away.


Remember, no starting sentences with "but" unless it's in first person or in dialogue.
Also I feel like it would be nice if you put "anyway" in the beginning of the second sentence, just to give them some form of linkage.

I couldn't find anything else! This was pretty well written :)

At the moment I mainly curious about where all this is going. I'm also desperately curious about "suicide" in suicide blonde. I can't wait to see how it all goes down. As I mentioned before this was a pretty well written chapter. I thought that your dialogue was good, particularly when she was drunk :) You're descriptions have been pretty well done as well, I especially like how you don't slab all of it into one paragraph and instead disperse it evenly around the action on dialogue, that was really good. I find Poppy to be a really interesting character and I find her really interesting to read, she has a really good "voice" and I think it's easy to connect with her. I'm also already liking Mitchell (how can I not?) and am really interested in what part he will play in all this.

I also hope her career isn't ruined or anything, talk about adding insult to injury :D

Looking forward to the next one!! Keep it up and Happy writing!! :) :)

Silverlock




User avatar
172 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 172

Donate
Sat May 10, 2014 7:13 am
View Likes
Laure wrote a review...



Is it disturbing, I've been reading this like a drug addict, especially when this type of books isn't usually my thing. Oh well. *grins sloppily and reads on*. I will if I can actually find a flaw in your novel. Is truly amazing. <3

-Laure




User avatar
14 Reviews


Points: 735
Reviews: 14

Donate
Fri May 09, 2014 11:13 pm
View Likes
FerrumCorde says...



SO when are you publishing the next one? let me just say I have been loving this. Please continue to write this! It is really well done, despite some grammatical and spelling errors that is.






I will clear up the grammatical and spelling errors when I edit. :)
Thank you so much. Your comment has really spurred me on.
*hugs*




I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
— Walt Disney