z

Young Writers Society



Happiness isn't hard

by Laure





It

Lies with in

A line of daisies scattered on your desk top

It beats softly


As a badly-folded paper heart

Sails overhead and lands askew

In your workbook



It lingers

In the small smiles

Of passer-bys



Is a ribbon of wind

An upside-down map;

The shadow of an owl

A silver of tomorrow.


It melts upon your lips and your pulsing heart,

It shows in the sunlight that streams through the winter clouds.

Light up this lonely world

With one more smile, and you'll see

Happiness isn't hard.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
231 Reviews


Points: 3770
Reviews: 231

Donate
Sat May 10, 2014 8:28 pm
View Likes
dogsrule5 wrote a review...



This poem was very good and very poetic. I really liked how you said...

Happiness isn't hard.


I didn't see any mistakes in in spelling or grammar. That rolls along right with punctuation. No errors in this either. I didn't see any mistakes in this poem. I had a very good message. I thought the good message was

Happiness isn't hard.



This poem is one of a kind. I really enjoyed it.

I hope you keep writing more and more. Keep up the good work.

Love,
Dogsrule5




User avatar
1334 Reviews


Points: 25864
Reviews: 1334

Donate
Thu May 08, 2014 1:33 pm
Hannah wrote a review...



I won't lie. Capitalizing the first letter of every line always makes me thing it's an acrostic poem.

Thank you, Laure, for telling me this deep message:

ILAIASIIIOIATAIILWH.

Hahaha.

Okay, now as for the actual material of the poem. I was definitely a bigger fan of the more physical exploration of your topic. I loved the images. I loved the paper heart flying through the air, the upside down map, the shadow of an owl. These are concrete, specific images that become really clear in my mind.

When the poem took a vaguer path, though, like when you wrote "It melts upon your lips and your pulsing heart", I felt like it was reverting to the sweetness of the mundane happiness poems before it.

It's a really, really hard thing to write a happy poem, because if you're not feeling happiness right then, you don't get it usually, and if you are, you don't need it. And if we don't need or don't get poetry, then it's not really working, right?

The concrete images that I loved, I loved because they were full of the happiness of existence. They were specific and made me engage with the poem by imagining them. There are so many little things in our lives that we enjoy. I think it's a pretty universal phenomenon. And even if they're not always things we enjoy in common, we can appreciate the value of specific-ness? haha.

So, generally, I'd say explore a more specific side to this poem and see if it makes you any happier. ;)

PM or comment if you have questions about my review.
Good luck and keep writing and congrats on going green. (:





If all pulled in one direction, the world would keel over.
— Yiddish proverb