​Chapter 3 – Diluted

by Alvarin

[Day five]

Swimming. My thoughts, my soul, swimming in a fog. A dark fog with light undertones, going through me as I went through it. It wasn't good, I wasn't supposed to swim. The triathlon had passed that part, and only running remained, and yet I was trapped in the fog, as it was trapped in me. Reverberating through my thoughts, from one end to the other, back and forth. Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, back and fo...

“I think he's waking up.”

Out of the fog I was thrown, with my soul that had been painfully diluted, to the point where I didn't know where it ended and the fog began, retook its normal form. Dense, clear and light, back to normal, but not quite.

“It's about time.”

There were people in the room, people I did not feel comfortable with. Strangers, but not so strange after all. I had heard that second voice before, at my parents' door, in the restaurant, at my door. Sharp, alert and serious. A growl.

I kept myself in darkness, for I didn't want the wolves to know I was awake. For a moment longer it was best if I continued to play dead. Dead things weren't as interesting to chase. The swimming was over, and it was time to run. Wolves were better at running than swimming, but I had outrun them in the past. Over the years I had learned to despise the hunt, the escape, but I knew it was what had kept me alive.

I focused my unwilling muscles on the task ahead of me, to get up and run. I invited the light as I jerked upwards in one quick move. The end of the tunnel was near, but as I made my move something was holding me down. Something strong, using my own strength to hurt me. Like snakes they contorted once around my wrists, and once against the cold metal bars of the bed. The more I pulled the tighter they squeezed.

“Take it easy, Ryan. We're not going to hurt you, we just want to talk.” It was the first voice again, unlike the growling wolf it sounded warm and kind, but I knew better than to trust it. Wolves could howl, and beautiful as that sound may be, it did not mean that the creature making it would be the same. “You fell and hit your head, but you'll be alright.” She looked like a mouse, both in color and in shape, and her expression matched her voice. Maybe she wasn't a wolf after all.

“If you don't mind, we want to talk to him in private.” The mouse left, leaving only the hungry predators. This situation was starting to get to me. I was the chained up pray meant to finally satisfy their long starvation, and the mental image of being experimented on and killed was unsettling. My inner sanctum, consisting of that constant bad mood, was trembling, changing as fear forced its way in.

“We're sorry for having to chain you up like this, but we were afraid you'd bolt again. You probably understand what we want to talk about?” Male voice, falsely sweet, the definition of a wolf in sheep's clothing. They were both glaring at me with eyes that could be described as nothing but hungry.

The snakes rattled when I tried their strength. I knew I was supposed to say something, but their eyes... My head. It didn't work. It didn't work. “Let me go.” The voice didn't sound like mine, not at all, and still it was. My voice could sound happy, bored, angry, but never like this. Rattle, rattle, rattle. The snakes got louder and the wolves were suddenly over me, alerted by the noise. The mouse came back, her white coat like a tail behind her. My soul was being diluted again, and no matter how much I tried to keep it together it kept slipping through my fingers, until I couldn't find it any more.

Wed May 21, 2014 1:53 am
Snowery wrote a review...

Hullo Alvarin!! I'm back again!!

Take it easy, Ryan

He has a name! Yay!

Okay, like Birko said the way that you tell your story is confusing but not unpleasantly so. I did understand what happened in the beginning and how it got there. I didn't get the snake thing though until I read your reply to Birky's review. You do a good job of conveying atmosphere, making us feel the foreignness of the room, making us feel like we can't really see anything or understand where we are.

I'm glad to see that you're going to change pov to a normal person in chapter five. While I do like the way it's been written so far, it does begin to feel slightly claustrophobic. Though that might just be me.

I'm curious as to where this story will go. Ryan's situation isn't looking good so it'll be interesting to see what happens to him and how he'll cope. Keep it up nad happy writing!! :) :)

Silverlock

Thu May 08, 2014 2:19 am
birk wrote a review...

Hey again Alvarin.

Returning for your third chapter. It seems you already have another few parts posted, though rather lonely. But let's change that!

Well, when I began reading through this series it definately had my attention and I was quite interested in where the story was going. I liked your main character's skewed view of the world and those around him and his, so far, unexplained powers intrigued me.

However, I have no idea what this is anymore. I do think I understand the overall plot so far, but this is not the way I want it told. I would want to read this in a more coherent format.

You refer to and mention a lot of things you don't explain fully or at all, especially in this chapter and partly in the previous one. I'll get into those later. You also seem to jump around from place to place within the story, and your chapter don't connected well to each other. And in the case of this one, it barely connects at all.

I actually love stories that are told from a nonlinear narrative, but it's not what you are doing here. These are not big jumps, just small ones that leave out critical information. This is even the very next day after the previous one and we have little to no idea how he got from that dramatic situation to this one. And you don't explain it at any point, nor in future chapters (seeing as they are this short, I figured you might break up the chapters and explain in the next one, but I just got further lost).

I know you can tell your story in whatever way you seem fit, and this one certainly is unusual, but I'm just saying that as a reader right now; I'm not at all invested.

As for the story itself in this chapter, he has pretty much been captured by these guys that chase him, right? But one of them may be able to help him? Okay, to be honest I'm not at all sure what is going on. But we know his full name now though, that is neat!

Alright, I'll write as I go along:

The triathlon had passed that part, and only running remained, and yet I was trapped in the fog, as it was trapped in me.
I know I'm repeating myself, but this entire opening paragraph is confusing. It is written quite well in a poetic sense, as he is obviously drugged or sedated, but it doesn't resonate too well with the piece. And this line is particular is really weird. Triathlon?

Edit
Out of the fog I was thrown, with my soul that had been painfully diluted,

where it ended and the fog began, retook its normal form.

Eh, awkward line. I'm unsure of how to fix it without rewriting the entire sentence.

A growl.

Huh?

I kept myself in darkness, for I didn't want the wolves to know I was awake. For a moment longer it was best if I continued to play dead.
Why is he playing dead? Some quotes: “I think he's waking up.”, “It's about time." They obviously know he is awake, and unless Ryan is deaf; so does he.

Edit
I focused my unwilling muscles on the task ahead of me, to get up and run.

You use a lot of different descriptions for several things, without explaining much about them. In most chapters you have referred to wolfs and in this one you also use snake and mouse. What do you mean by this? :D

Edit
unlike the growling wolf it sounded warm and kind,

“You fell and hit your head, but you'll be alright.”

This I like though. It's pretty much the only thing I found to make sense in all of this.

I was the chained up pray meant to finally satisfy their long starvation,

No idea what you mean here.

The snakes rattled when I tried their strength.

Again, very confusing. I thought they he viewed the as wolves?

Then this female comes back again, presumably to stop them or rescue him in some way. I really liked how you described her though: 'her white coat like a tail behind her.

And that's your third chapter. I am...very confused. :D

I am sorry I'm not completely understanding your story so far. I still see a lot of good though. There's still many good scenes you imagery that comes across okay, and the core premise is still interesting.

Hopefully another reviewer will understand your story better. I might be looking at it wrong. ;)

Keep it up!

Cheers
Birkhoff

Alvarin says...

Hey again xD I'm sorry for this chapter being so confusing, but at the end of the last chapter Ryan fell and hit his head. When he wakes up he's drugged (pain, and all that) so it takes him a while to wake up, and even after that he's barely aware of what's happening, which is why this chapter is so weird.
The "snakes" are the straps used to restrain him to the bed, so that he won't get up and try to run away, and hurt himself even more.
A triathlon consists of three components, swimming, cycling and running. He feels like he's stuck on the swimming part, even though he knows he's supposed to be running.
In chapter 5 I'm going to change the pov to another character, a normal character, and you'll get a lot of things explained then xD
Once again, thank you so much for taking your time and reading and reviewing :)

The most important thing is to have fun! Stress makes for distress and neither of those belong in writing!
— Kaia