z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language Mature Content

The Veil - Chapter 6

by megsug


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language and mature content.

She was too old. Or perhaps, they were too young.

Qui’in sat on a bench outside a jazz club, ignoring the young men who tried to talk to her. They all knew who she was, and most of them had an idea that they were far out of their league. She was studying a vine crawling up the bench leg, trying her hardest to block out the attempts of one of the more stubborn, stupider lords. She wondered when they had started to annoy her like they did now. Didn’t she recall a time when she found the cocksure and arrogant attractive?

She sighed and finally looked up. “I charge five thousand a night,” she announced bluntly. She glanced at the worn shoes her wooer wore and cocked her head since he wouldn’t be able to see her smirk. “By the looks of your shoes, you couldn’t afford fifteen minutes which isn’t quite enough time for what you want, dear.”

The man laughed and either ignored or was unaware of her annoyed sigh. “Who pays that much for a fuck?”

She laughed. “Oh honey, they don’t pay for a…” Her nose flared as if she couldn’t stand the stench of the word. “Fuck.” She ran a finger down one of his arms. “They pay for an experience. Something a little more than they could get with their hand.” She was happy with the how the man drew back and glared at her. She wasn’t afraid of him.

If he hit her all she would have to do was cry and a peacekeeper and three strong, brave men would be at her side, ready to prove themselves. Really, men were too easy to manipulate. She was glad they had size on their side. Otherwise, she might feel bad about how she pulled their strings.

She looked up at Lekan who had appeared at the other man’s elbow and watched closely.

“Just go inside. She’s probably waiting for someone.” Lekan took his friend’s upper arm and pushed him towards the door. “There are other girls.” He winked at Qui.

“I owe you one, honey,” she murmured, fluttering her eyelashes. She knew he could see the movement. She had chosen a veil sheer and light enough to see the shadow of lashes.

He patted his friend on his shoulder and looked back, half in half out. The surprise painted on his face made her lips twitch in amusement. Hiding his thoughts and emotions would have to be lesson number one. “When?”

“Why don’t you go follow your boy in and come back in fifteen minutes, half an hour.” She brushed at imaginary dust on her skirt and tried not to be charmed by his huge grin. “Remember to blink, dear.” She waved him into the bar and took advantage of a hard earned skill. She sat completely still.

The young ladies who thought they were so different from their motehrs glared at her as they flounced in with their short skirts and gaudy jewelry.

She remembered why she’d stopped serving young people. Her veil was a beautiful tool. Her eyes could dart about while her body reflected complete peace.

The time passed slowly, but she had learned patience.

She heard the gong of a temple and tried to determine how long it had been since she had been to a service. Until a sermon obviously directed at her stung her pride, she had been a fairly regular attendant and contributed a decent percentage of her salary.

She missed going to temple.

Her eyes flicked to the door as Lekan came out. “I got away as soon as I could,” he said, so obviously eager.

She would have rejected him for that alone if this was a normal situation.

“It’s kind of crazy that you’re here. My uncle and a friend of his were talking about you.” He stood near her, not awkwardly, which she approved of. His hands moved with his words so much that people noticed. The fact that he had freely offered that information was another strike against him, and she was sure there were more flaws hidden. Everyone hid flaws.

She sighed, realizing that this was going to be more of a challenge than she had hoped for, and stood slowly. When he moved to follow her, she put a hand on his chest, smiling softly though he couldn’t see it as her words dripped, just sweet enough to be condescending to a listener with a good ear. “You’ll need to work for it.”

He nodded, face serious. “I’m not surprised.”

He didn’t have a good ear then. She smoothed the wrinkles from his shirt. “I like to be a little more subtle. It’s kind of obvious what was going to take place here, people recognizing me. Especially since you left in such a hurry.” She moved a finger to trace his hairline. “How about this? We’ll meet tomorrow, two blocks over.” She tilted her head to the left, so he would see where she meant. “At the edge of the park over there. Your shirt will be ironed.” She kept her tone even though it wanted to snap. Shabby appearances were a pet peeve of hers. “And we’ll play a game.”

The confusion stamped on his face had her pausing to stifle a giggle.

“We’ll meet together, but we’ll be so subtle about it that no one will know. If I win, you wait another day. If you win...” She allowed the moment of silence just because she loved how he hung onto her every word. It gave her a power rush every time a man skipped along at her every whim. “You get me.” She kept her voice coy as he began to nod, ignoring a tug of guilt. She almost felt guilty, taking advantage of a child.

He smiled. “A challenge will make it better.”

She laughed then, putting all of the smoky experience she had behind it. “Oh darling, a challenge makes everything sweeter.” She kissed him, knowing it left him hungry. “Go back and join your friends. Make up a story, so they don’t know about the game.” She watched him struggle against base needs and cocked her head when he continued to stand, staring.

He finally shook his head as if it clear it and turned away, looking back as he opened the door. She’d have to work on his reaction time too. “Is this really because I got that guy to back off?”

She felt herself tense and made sure she was relaxed before shrugging. “Or maybe it’s that pretty face. Every girl’s gotta have her treat.” She withheld a groan at how he straightened and gave her what she was sure he considered his most charming smile which she would also have to correct.

“I would be happy to be devoured,” he murmured with a wink.

She laughed until the door closed behind him. She had a lot of work ahead of her.

She began to walk away, her goal of seeing just how much work was to be done completedShe glanced up as the gong sounded again and decided she’d see what the message was today as she made her way toward the only high terrain in the area.

Which happened to be what Obi was wishing he could do as he sat in a small crowded room full of outraged old men who had too much to say and not enough inclination to listen. As he smashed a fifth cigarette into the ashtray that was almost full, he studied the faces of old friends. Most were getting on in age. Some had even been replaced. He accepted Sefu’s offered lighter and lit the next cigarette.

The atmosphere was nothing like what it had been in the old days when they had sipped brandy and complained, making jokes at the monarchy’s sake. He had always participated, even when he had considered Rufulo a friend. He had recognized his friend’s downfalls.

The jocularity he had enjoyed had been washed away, and he was coming to suspect that he had missed something or had failed to be invited to some of the later king bashing parties that had gone on. A serious, deadly air hung in the room with the cigarette smoke. An underlying bitterness had always been present, but the laughter that used to soften the harsh feelings was gone. The men were focused, and Obi recognized the hunger that was behind it. He had been in enough battles to see desperate men when they were in front of him.

He pretended to be smoking of boredom, covering the nervousness tightening in his stomach with a studied indifference. He knew it had to be working because he was so close to fooling himself. He wasn't even listening now. Pen-di's voice was a buzz right now. If he wasn't careful he'd just fall asleep. Nervous people didn't fall asleep so-

“Lekan’s sentence was supposed to be a threat. Our government is behind the times, and our Rufulo knows it.”

Obi snapped to attention at the mention of his nephew, his face growing hard at the red faced man who had placed himself at the head of the table, Pen-di.

“We’re sorry for your hardship, Obi,” he added as if it was an afterthought and went on, “They don’t want us trading with Namun because they’re afraid we’ll follow the Namundi people’s lead and overthrow the monarchy. That’s what we should do.”

Murmuring broke out as he sat down. Obi was disturbed to see how many men were nodding in agreement.

These people didn't seem to realize what revolution did to a country. Even Sefu, who had been beside him, facing horrors that came from conflict, looked thoughtful. Had he forgotten?

Rapping his fingers against the arm of the chair in a childhood habit that had only resurfaced recently, Obi stood up slowly, his nose flaring as he tried to find the exact words he wanted. “I appreciate your concern for me and mine,” he murmured, sure to keep his voice soft and slow.

Several men started murmuring their condolences, only to look down at his hard stare.

He wasn’t going to delude himself into thinking he could change the turn of the tide. If he was completely honest with himself, perhaps he didn’t want to. Rofulo had kept no friends in the last few months, and Obi was proud, not one to take rejection, even slightly deserved rejection, well. If he had been acting for only himself, he may have been persuaded to add his experience to the equation, but he refused to have Lekan’s name sullied any more than it already had. He knew these men well enough not to be fooled by their condolences. Lekan’s mistreatment would be used as another weapon in the arsenal that had to already be plentiful against the monarchy. Obi couldn’t let that happen.

“I refuse to have my nephew be made an icon of a movement he’s not even aware of.” He gave a wry smirk as dead silence fell hard upon the crowded room. No one expected rejection. “Lekan deserved what he got. He broke the law.” The lie burned in the back of his throat, but he made sure to keep his face still and stony. “The throne was harsh, but Rufulolo was making a statement, one that needed to be made.” He raised his eyebrows as three others stood up, crying in outrage. “Have we forgotten how things proceed here?” He waited for the silence to return, his jaw hard. “I have no wish to be a part of this, and I refuse to allow my nephew’s name to be dragged into it. You’re my peers and my friends. I’ve grown up with most of you. Been through good and bad times with all of you. There’s no need to fear a report from me. My tie with Rufulolo has been thoroughly severed, but I don’t wish for the chaos revolution brings. I won’t offer my services.” He nodded to Pen-di. “Thank you for the invitation.” He reached over and tapped his cigarette against the ashtray rim. “I’ll see you.” Weaving through the crowd of men, the tension radiating from them making his stomach clench as it had when he’d stood on the battlefield, he left the room.

He heard the footsteps behind him and chose to ignore them.

“Obi!” Sefu called, panting as he jogged, no match for his friend’s long, efficient stride.

He slowed and turned if only because it was Sefu.

Grabbing his arm, Sefu brought him close and glanced at the cracked door. He spoke in a low hiss so that no one would be able to eavesdrop. “These men are the ones that are going to control the country, Obi. You need to be on their good side.” He met the cold stare much more fearlessly than was to be expected.

Nostrils flaring with anger, Obi swallowed as he rejected words that would damage a cherished friendship. Finally, he swallowed in preparation and spoke slowly, as quietly as Sefu had. “If I need to be so careful to stay in their favor, what makes them so different from Rufulolo?” His words held the cool clipped calm of fury.

Sefu’s gaze dropped. “It’s not perfect, but I beg you come back. I’m the one that fought for your inclusion.”

Grimacing, Obi scoffed. “You expect me to swallow my pride-” he began hotly before his mind caught up with his mouth and he closed it with an audible click of his teeth. He had to concede to Sefu’s point as infuriating as that was. “Fine.” He swung around on his heel, his hands fisted, his posture stiff, and returned to the stuffy room.

Glaring at the man, younger by five years or so, who had taken his chair until it was free again, he sat back at the table and threw his pack of cigarettes on the table in front of him where they would be easy to reach. He didn’t want to have to be searching through his pockets every time he wanted another one, and there would be many times.

What these men didn’t seem to understand was revolution was a young man’s game. He was too old.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
346 Reviews


Points: 37216
Reviews: 346

Donate
Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:18 pm
Pretzelstick wrote a review...



Heya sugar, pretzelsing here for another review as I saw that this chapter only had 5 reviews. Let's begin shall we?

They all knew who she was, and most of them had an idea that they were far out of their league.


Their league? Or her league? I think that the latter is more correct.

She glanced at the worn shoes her wooer wore and cocked her head since he wouldn’t be able to see her smirk.


Look at what words you used over and over: worn wooer wore in one sentence :shock: I think that you can substitute other words so that isn't a tongue twister ;) and so it flows and sounds better.

The young ladies who thought they were so different from their motehrs glared at her as they flounced in with their short skirts and gaudy jewelry.


You had a typo: mothers. Also for me, this sentence had no meaning, you know why sugar? Because I don't know what types of women their mothers are. See what I mean? If you want to insert this quote I would explain maybe just in one sentence what their mothers are like.

If he hit her all she would have to do was cry and a peacekeeper and three strong, brave men would be at her side, ready to prove themselves.


Wait a second, Qui'in was outside on a bench. Where were these bodyguards,huh? :/ Because if you are sitting outside on a bench, how is someone going to hear you cry from far away?

I noticed this in the four quotes:

Rofulo had kept no friends in the last few months, and Obi was proud, not one to take rejection, even slightly deserved rejection, well.


Our government is behind the times, and our Rufulo knows it.”


“If I need to be so careful to stay in their favor, what makes them so different from Rufulolo?”<,<Remember to write his name correctly


My tie with Rufulolo has been thoroughly severed, but I don’t wish for the chaos revolution brings.


What is the relationship between Obi and his "friends" and Rufulo. Because in the first sentence Obi had commented that Rufulo had no friends anymore, but then the guy Pen-di said our Rufulo and then at the end Obi and said "our" Rufulo. Obi was wondering how his group of friends was different than Rufulo and then he said that all of his ties had been severed with him
So right now I am very confused, what is the relationship between Obi and Rufulo,sugar?:?Maybe you can explain or clarify by having Obi dig down into a memory or even just reflect upon that.

Weaving through the crowd of men, the tension radiating from them making his stomach clench as it had when he’d stood on the battlefield, he left the room.


I think that that you could put the phrase: "he left the room" after "Weaving through the crowd of men" because at the end it kind of seems oddly place, like Obi was thinking about his battle and then he left the room. Do you see what I mean, sugar?

I really liked how you used the first and last sentence to be very similar, did you do it on purpose sugar?
[b]First sentence
She was too old. Or perhaps, they were too young.

Last sentence
What these men didn’t seem to understand was revolution was a young man’s game. He was too old.


I liked that but I just have a minor question, being the curious person I am. How old is Qui'in and Obi? I think that this would be the perfect chapter/place to put their age in,sugar. Especially with those first and last sentence ;)

Alright now, you are advancing the plot slowly but steadily. This is a novel, right, so you can so slow chapter by chapter. I am honestly eager to watch the action happen but you are skillfully building up the "before-time" without rushing.I am the type of writer that likes to rush-yes I know that's bad ;)

Obi hates being in that meeting, that's for sure. He just isn't meant to be there it seems and really showed that clearly. I liked it,he was taking the cigarettes, storming out of the room, defending his family, etc. One question is: being the stubborn man that he seems to be, why did he left Sefu convince him to go back? What was Obi's motive?

Qui'in really does have a lot of work before her, and I like how you showed the flaws of Laken, but I just have a question. Why it is bad, in Qui's eyes, to show your emotions openly? I mean is that really a bad thing,sugar?Why is it bad that for example Laken gets back to her as soon as possible? I could possibly understand because it's from Qui's POV, but this isn't my normal philosophy!

I also noticed that both Obi and Qui have a tendency to flare their noses when they are annoyed or searching for the right words. Here are the specific examples in the spoiler:

Spoiler! :
Her(Qui) nose flared as if she couldn’t stand the stench of the word.

Obi stood up slowly, his nose flaring as he tried to find the exact words he wanted.

Nostrils flaring with anger, Obi swallowed as he rejected words that would damage a cherished friendship.

Alright sugar, I thought that this was just a quirk of Obi's and that only Obi did it. But why do you copy that to Qui and make her do it? I would make one character or the other "flare their noses" because it should be distinct-something that characterizes only one character.

That's it from me. I hope that this helps you improve your work and I truly encourage you to keep on writing!If you have any questions you can always PM me!

Image




User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:53 pm
Shady says...



Oh, look at that. I've already reviewed this. I guess I'll just read this one for funsies. ;)




User avatar
1417 Reviews


Points: 3733
Reviews: 1417

Donate
Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:34 pm
View Likes
Noelle wrote a review...



Hi there! Noelle back again for another Review Day review!

Or perhaps, they were too young.

I don't think the comma is needed here.

You're doing a good job with splitting up your paragraphs and keeping them small and able to read. However, occasionally, maybe once of twice a chapter, there's a large paragraph that you don't break up that really should be broken up. There's one I found in this chapter and I posted it here in the spoiler:
Spoiler! :
“I refuse to have my nephew be made an icon of a movement he’s not even aware of.” He gave a wry smirk as dead silence fell hard upon the crowded room. No one expected rejection. “Lekan deserved what he got. He broke the law.” The lie burned in the back of his throat, but he made sure to keep his face still and stony. “The throne was harsh, but Rufulolo was making a statement, one that needed to be made.” He raised his eyebrows as three others stood up, crying in outrage. “Have we forgotten how things proceed here?” He waited for the silence to return, his jaw hard. “I have no wish to be a part of this, and I refuse to allow my nephew’s name to be dragged into it. You’re my peers and my friends. I’ve grown up with most of you. Been through good and bad times with all of you. There’s no need to fear a report from me. My tie with Rufulolo has been thoroughly severed, but I don’t wish for the chaos revolution brings. I won’t offer my services.” He nodded to Pen-di. “Thank you for the invitation.” He reached over and tapped his cigarette against the ashtray rim. “I’ll see you.” Weaving through the crowd of men, the tension radiating from them making his stomach clench as it had when he’d stood on the battlefield, he left the room.

You should most definitely break this paragraph up. There's enough dialogue in here that you can create a few new paragraphs. Just be careful with this in the future.

I like Obi's character. And I think the last sentence in this chapter adds to his character development so well. Obi is that "old" man with a young man's soul. He wants to be out there, doing something about the world, but he feels he's too old. So he does what he can. He puts it upon himself to figure everything out to help his nephew as well as those around him. At first I thought Lekan would be the MC of this story, but once I found out it was Obi, I came to like him even more. Qui'in is my favorite character so far, but Obi is a close second.

Keep writing!
**Noelle**




User avatar
1634 Reviews


Points: 67548
Reviews: 1634

Donate
Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:44 pm
Deanie wrote a review...



Me again :3

I just wanted to read more. Honestly, this is getting so good. And actually, I keep seeing quotes out here that I would love to pull out and well, keep for myself. Like:

Really, men were too easy to manipulate. She was glad they had size on their side. Otherwise, she might feel bad about how she pulled their strings.


I really like Qui. She's my favourite character. And really, anyone who can look at guys like this has some sense of truth in them. Just look how I get anything I want from my paps. I'm kidding. But really, that is an awesome quote right there. Qui seems observant, with standards (despite her career of choice) and someone who knows people very well. I am looking forwards to more meetings with Lekan and her. I'm interested to see how she is going to whip him into shape.

What these men didn’t seem to understand was revolution was a young man’s game. He was too old.


Okay, that was a bit more love there too <3 I will get onto the actual review now!

She remembered why she’d stopped serving young people.


This thought seemed kind of thrown in there. Yes, she does observe those young girls entering the bar, but then that thought is suddenly dropped and she moves on to something else. Make sure you see this one through because it seemed like it was going somewhere. I didn't quite get why she stopped serving young people either, so make sure we can see the reason why in that follow up thought as well.

She kissed him, knowing it left him hungry.


I know she probably just lifts up her veil and that is that, but make sure you mention that. I had a what? moment where I wondered how she did it. Also, that veil, does it obscure her whole face or just her eyes? Small things I am curious about.

Talking about curious, one side of the story we still need to hear about is the Queen and the King. We have met the Queen a bit because of Qui, but not so much the King. So, maybe we should get a bit more from their point of view? I would be curious to know more, especially that interesting backstory you were previously hinting about involving the Queen and Qui ;)

He slowed and turned if only because it was Sefu.


Comma needed after the word 'turned'. There were a couple of other typos I am not going to be mean and pull out, like some missing spaces between words or a misspell of 'mothers' when you are talking about those young girls. Nothing that a quick read-over wouldn't be able to handle though.

Wow, you've built up this plot quite a lot! We've got Lekan and Qui, the Queen's story, the revolution that seems to be building, Conya and whatever has been going on in her past, as well as Obi's many layers. I wonder what more you might throw in on top of this! The only way for me to find out would be to read more, and I am going to do just that!

Deanie x

couple typos like mothers, and missed space bars




User avatar
301 Reviews


Points: 20262
Reviews: 301

Donate
Sun May 25, 2014 1:41 pm
Snowery wrote a review...



Back again. :)

Main Points

It's mentioned that the men trying to come on to Qui are:

stupider lords.


but then:

By the looks of your shoes, you couldn’t afford fifteen minutes


This seems to be a little contradictory? Unless the lords of this place aren't rich? If so that would be quite interesting. I've just thought of something. Maybe she meant lords in a sarcastic and mocking way? If so then just ignore everything above. :P

If he hit her


Personally I don't think there needed to be a new paragraph here. She's continuing along the same vein of thought. Though I do understand that with YWS formatting tings can look quite cramped if you don't break things up. Maybe for your own copy?

“I owe you one, honey,” she murmured,


I found this paragraph to be oddly placed. Wouldn't she have thanked Lekan after he rid her of the menace?

She had chosen a veil sheer


I love the constant references on how she uses the veil to both hide and show emotions. I love how she's able to control how people see her and she can make them see something completely different to what she's feeling.

She remembered why she’d stopped serving young people.


This sentence seems oddly placed. It seems to belong to the previous paragraph than this one seeing as it belongs to the previous topic. You start a new topic the very next sentence and it makes for very weird flow.

Gasp! We have a revolution on our hands! Interesting turn of events. I feel that the greater plot has just gotten a whole lot... greater. :) With Lekan's training, impending suicide spy mission and now a revolution this is turning into a fully blown plot.

The pacing so far has been pretty good actually. Things don't happen to fast but enough happens to keep the reader interested. Nothing seems to be rushed or squashed too badly.

Great job so far! Keep it up and happy writing! :)

Silverlock




User avatar
760 Reviews


Points: 31396
Reviews: 760

Donate
Sun May 25, 2014 11:06 am
ExOmelas wrote a review...



Hi there.

Literally the only nit-picks are typos:

"different from their motehrs" - I assume I don't have to explain the mistake here

"shook his head as if it clear it" - or here

The next thing I found just confused me but I assume it's because I haven't read the other chapters. I just thought I'd highlight it just in case.

"she had been a fairly regular attendant and contributed a decent percentage of her salary." - how can she contribute to her own salary? Sorry, I'm sure the answer is obvious but just in case.

Anyway, I really loved the characterisation of Qui. I think you describe the satisfaction she gets from her work really well. Everything she does is mostly stereotypical of a prostitute but in her head everything she does is explained. I think this was very perceptive of you. I'm not saying I liked her that much, but I understand her very well. I felt very sympathetic towards Obi and I completely get his perspective.
I don't have a criticism so much as a question. Are there any men that Qui respects? Is there anyone that she doesn't see as pitiful? I kind of suspect not but if she does she could perhaps compare the pitiful men to him. That's the extent of my creative suggestions here though. This really was incredible.

Well done :)




User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Thu May 15, 2014 3:26 am
View Likes
Shady wrote a review...



Egs!

Ooh, I found one of your chapters to review. :)

idea that [they were far out of their league.
~ This is a bit ambiguous. Do they feel that she is above their league or below it?

she’d see what the message was today as she made her way toward the only high terrain in the area.

Which happened to be what Obi was wishing he could do as he sat in a small crowded room full of outraged old men who had too much to say and not enough inclination to listen
~ I don't know if you have already established a method of switching between scenes/characters like this, so that by this point in the story it will be clear-- but as someone just starting into your story, I had to read this part several times to get the connect between Obi and the Qui'in.

~

Okay, so I'm not very good at weaving in general thoughts as I go, so I'm just going to dump them all here:

I really, really love the names you use. Like, you already know my adoration of cool names-- and you have a ton of them in this chapter. It made me very happy. I was also very enamored by your characters. They all had such distinct personalities-- even the side, supporting characters seemed fairly well developed and purposefully placed in the story for MC development. Well done. :)

I also like the two drastically different scenes that you tied together by a reference to Lekan. That was beautiful, and made me smile a bit when we got his name in the second part of the chapter. I also like the... what is it called? Chiasmus? Whatever, the way you started and ended with the same concept...Too old, too young; too young, too old. It was great, and helped give your piece a sense of unity. I got a strange desire for Obi and Qui'in to meet-- as well as a strong curiosity to know if they *do* know each other. They both seem like the random Brek-ish characters who would have been everywhere and met everyone, haha.

I would like to know more about Rufalo/ the state of the government, because right now I don't feel like I fully understand the situation that Obi and the rest of them are facing. But, I'm not going to complain about that too much, since I *haven't* read the rest of this story...yet. c:

I hope you do well on your exam tomorrow. <3

~Shady 8)





It's a dramatic situation almost every time you answer the phone—if you answer the phone.
— Matthew Weiner