Hellfire's Pryde: Chapter One

by KnightTeen

The next two or three day's after the whole “Kate” incident, as we had taken to calling it, weren't easy for me. Sure, I was glad to know that it had worked and she was fine, but the Professor now wanted to scan my head, to make sure she was completely gone. Jean wanted to conduct tests to make sure I was completely okay, and while I sort of trusted the both of them, I didn't let them take me anywhere near the medbay or Cerebro.

I didn't want anyone to know.

And now that I knew that Kurt was somehow my brother and Piotr and I might end up married, I was unsure how to act around either of them. I also felt weird because I thought that there were certain things that I should know, and yet didn't. There were times when I would look in Kurt's direction and want to cry without knowing why. Once, I got my period and it was really painful and I just completely broke down in front of Wolverine when my aspirin wore off slightly. Freaked him out to. I was more jumpy, more cautious.

Xavier chalked it up to Kate's personalitity leaving a mark kind of like a residue on my brain, programming it slightly to be like she was. That's why he wanted to play in my head. Needless to say, I told both him and Jean no, and went on my merry way. The instincts and reactions faded slightly with time, but they didn't completely go away. It was something that I was clearly going to have to deal with for the rest of my life. I considered it a small price to pay for the reward we received.

But still, I shut myself away from the rest of the team, without telling any of them why. I was trying to get used to this new me without hurting anyone, and I thought that I had to be alone for that.

And then she came.

I knew that Piotr had siblings, but I honestly never expected to meet any of them. One day, he, Scott, and the Professor all vanished in the Jet, and they returned with Illyana in tow. I still don't know why they went to Russia or why they brought her back with them, but Piotr wasn't telling anyone, so I didn't ask.

Illyana was Piotr's, “Little Snowflake” and the nickname suited her. Kurt told me that she had the clearest blue eyes that he had ever seen, and that her hair was so blonde it was almost white. I knew from my own examination that the five year old was very little, petite almost, and that she felt very delicate. It was a bit of relief to no longer be the 'baby' of the mansion, for even though I had been there almost two months I was still teased heartily as the youngest.

But Illyana was the apple of everyone's eye. Wolveine was even extremely gentle with her, which we all knew was saying something. She wasn't scared of him either, toddling after him thhe only way a five-year-old could, begging to see his 'sharpies'. None of us could stop laughing the first time she said that aloud.

We were happy and content. And for a little while, I thought that it would stay that way. We could have a few days of peace, right? Wrong. This is the X-Men we are talking about here. Danger followed us everywhere. We were lounging in the pool when it happened, enjoying one of our few days off. At first, it seemed like it would be some of the normal stuff, a bad guy to kick into prison, some anti-mutant terrorists to catch. I don't think that any of us expected what came next.

~*~

“Kitty, child, would you come here a moment?” My head moved toward the Professor's voice. The day was extremely hot, and everyone was cooling off in the mansion's pool. Everyone but the Professor, that is. He had decided to run some errands, and it was evident from the way that I felt those nearest to start slightly that he had just returned. Nodding, I held my arms out in front of me, and slowly made my way over to the edge.

“Here, Katya, allow me to help you.” Piotr's breath tickled my ear and the second he finished speaking I felt his hands span my waist, lifting me out of the water and setting me on the ground.

“Thanks Piotr.” I told him as I delicately made my way over to the picnic furniture and began feeling around the table for my cane. I felt a hand grasp mine and someone pushed the strap over my wrist. I smiled.

“And thank you Scott.” When he didn't have a stick up his butt, the Fearless Leader didn't annoy me.

“No problem kiddo.”

I turned slightly. “Professor?” I asked, letting him know that I needed to hear him speak again so that I could walk towards him without going in the wrong direction. He responded immediately.

“Right here, Kitty.”

Ah, there he is. I couldn't get a very good read with the air pressure, but it was clear that he was at least ten steps to my left, near where the walkway was located. So he's not as far as I had originally thought. Twisting and pulling on the little cylinder I held, I quickly extended it into it's normal four-foot length. As I walked I tapped it on the ground in front of me, being mindful of any obstacles.

“What is it?” I quietly asked, realizing that whatever was on his mind was going to result in a serious conversation. There was a small pause, and I knew that he was shaking his head. “You know,” I said with a laugh, “You'd think by now you'd stop doing that, but I guess it must be a hard habit to break.” He chuckled.

“I am sorry Kitty.”

“It's okay. But what's the matter?” By now we had reached the doors that lead into the mansion.

“It can wait until we reach my office.” He was scaring me slightly. I had been with the X-Men for less than a quarter of a year, and I had never heard him speak like this. It sounded as though he had heard some really bad news, and had no hope that it would become better anytime soon. His tone was almost...hopeless.

A few minutes later, it was clear that we had reached his office because I heard him opening a door. He was waiting for me to step through, so I did and it wasn't long before I heard him wheeling in behind me and the door closing softly.

“The desk and chairs are directly to the left of you Kitty, about fifteen steps.” He had never really lost the habit of telling me where things were when I was in the room with him, so I just thanked him and folded my cane. I stretched out my hands, counting the paces habitly as I walked. My fingers hit the back of a chair, and it wasn't long until I found the desk. After making sure it was clear, I hoisted myself onto it, and once settled, I repeated my question for the third time.

I felt a piece of paper being placed in my lap. “This can explain far better than I.” he said softly. Nodding, I set it down in my lap and traced my fingers over it, feeling for the tell-tale bumps of Braille that I knew by heart.

Kitty,

Your father and I have come to a decision, one that we have been considering for a while now, ever since you joined the Xavier school. When you left, it was clear that we thought that this was the best decision that we could make, but now we have come to the conclusion that we must pull you out.

We know that you are happy there, and that your grades have not gone down at all since you joined. In fact, we think that you are doing far better academically then you ever have. But we have many concerns.

You are the not the youngest student enrolled, but you are the second youngest, and we understand that the next oldest is already considered an adult. In addition, there is only two other female students there, one of which is a child. And while your Professor assured us that your disability had been taken into consideration once he knew, we have never seen his facility in person.

Your social development is also a great concern to us. We want you to be able to interact with people your own age, and we know that that is not something you can learn from Xavier. Kitty, please understand that your father and I only want what is best for you, and that we do not make this decision lightly.

We have already chosen, and registered you to your new school. You're expected at the Massachusetts Academy headed by Emma Frost in two weeks. Perhaps you remember her.

Even if you don't, you are soon to make her acquaintance.

Everything has already been taken care of. Xavier has the necessary forms and whatnot. We will see you over winter break!

Love always,

Mom & Dad.

I could feel the paper slipping from my fingers and onto the floor, but I made no move to pick it up. My eyes filled with tears. I can't be happy for one moment before something happens to take it away .I thought. Not one blasted moment.

“I've called the others.” The Professor murmured, and I jumped slightly at his voice, having forgotten he was in the room with me. “They should be here soon.” I nodded in acknowledgment. Aside from my gentle sobbing, we were silent.

When I heard the door open I ceased crying but didn't turn my head. Everything in my face would have given me away. I wanted them to continue to be happy for as long as possible. From the pressure change, I knew that Illyana wasn't with them, and that Piotr had probably put her down for her nap. I was slightly grateful, because I knew that she wouldn't understand.

“What is it Chuck?” I heard Wolverine ask through my internal monlouge.

Xavier sighed. “I'm afraid I have some bad news. Kitty's parents have decided to withdraw her from the school. They realize she likes it here, and that's she's doing well academically, but they believe it would be more to her advantage to attend a school with pupils closer to her own age. She's to leave us in two weeks.”

There was total silence for a few moments, before the room exploded in shouted protests. Above the ruckus, Scott managed to ask the question that was clearly weighing on everyone's mind.

“Just like that? With no warning whatsoever.”

“Can they do such a thing?” Kurt chimed in once the din had died down slightly.

“Really Kurt?!” I snapped. “I don't know how things work in Germany but here in America our parents control our lives until we are eighteen. Being four years shy of the mark means that I have no say in this, so yes, they can do such a thing!”

Silence.

I sighed. “I'm sorry.” Kurt walked over to me and placed a hand on my shoulder. A part of me wanted to shrug it off, but instead I placed my hand over it and squeezed. I could feel the sadness and desperation that they all had, and it was so thick that I could practically cut it with a knife.

“Kitty is right, however. Her parents are the only ones who have a say in this. I think that they are making a mistake but there is nothing we can do.” Xavier spoke again.

“Geez, Professor, you could have at least tried!” I cried out in anger. I wanted to hit something, hard and repeatedly until my knuckles bled. Kurt let out a small noise and I realized that I was squeezing his fingers to hard. I apologized as I released them/

“I have. I called them this morning. They are adamant that you leave here.”

“I've got a simple solution, Chuck.”

I could hear everyone turning to the direction that Wolverine's voice came from. I also aimed my unseeing stare at him. “What Wolverine?” I asked. Even after all my time here I still feel uncomfortable addressing him by his name.

“Well kid, why doesn't Chuck just use his telepathic mind powers to make your parents “change” their minds.”

Jumping up, I walked over in his direction to punch him in the chest, finally giving in to my urge to hit something. . He didn't even take a step back, but I think I got the point across that I was angry. “Why doesn't Storm shoot them with a lightning bolt?! Why don't you use your claws on them, or Crawler take off his image inducer. Scott can shoot them, and all Pete needs to do is pinch them. I know that the Professor would never intentionally hurt them, but these are my parents you talk about using his powers on! Do you honestly think that I would be okay with this? I'd have to live with the guilt that I manipulated them for the rest of my life. Again. Or did you forget what Jean did to them? Who knows what another go at them will do! It might completely fry their brains this time, and then I will have to live with the fact that my selfish action basically killed my parents.” I wished Kate was here to give me advice, but sadly, I couldn't even call her.

“....”

“Your silence tells me that you know I'm right, but don't want to admit it in public.”

“Unfortunately Kitty is right Logan,” the Professor added. “And while I may have indulged in such liberties in the past, I will not do so any more. To manipulate a sentient mind so that I may have what I want makes me no better than the villains that we fight against.”

“So you're just going to let the kid go.” was Logan's gruff reply.

I shook my head. “No Wolverine,” I said softly. “You're all going to let me go.” I choked back a small cry, but it's no use. Kurt comes up behind me and grabs my shoulder, turning me and pulling me into his chest. I try to cry quietly, but once the dam breaks, all you can hear is my broken sobs, once again slowly filling the room.

TimmyJake wrote a review...

Timmy here for a review!

Nitpicks, first.

But still, I shut myself away from the rest of the team, without telling any of them why.

Try to eliminate commas in certain places. Fewer commas mean stronger sentence.

Wolveine was even extremely gentle with her

"Wolverine" --obviously

She wasn't scared of him either, toddling after him thhe only way a five-

"The" misspelled.

with a laugh, “You'd think by now you'd stop doing that, but I guess it must be a hard habit to break.” He chuckled.

"He chuckled" should be on a new line, where he speaks. Not after Kitty speaks.

I sighed. “I'm sorry.” Kurt walked

If that was Kitty talking there, the action by Kurt should be on another line, so we don't become confused.

I think that they are making a mistake but there is nothing we can do.” Xavier spoke again.

after "mistake" I think there should be a comma.

Something that writers do sometimes is put funny things on the end of dialogue as a tag so people know who spoke... They range in length and description. What they say, etc... The one tag that never fails, that has been used so much it is almost invisible like a period, is "said". Whatever you use for speaker tags, don't ever be afraid to say "said." Its a good fallback.

I apologized as I released them/

Period there.

“....”

This is silence... but how do we know that? Show us that they are silent! Some little actions or uncomfortable actions. We see it all the time with people. That, in my opinion, is much better than three little periods...

Comments and whatchamacallit stuff

Now that was unexpected. One moment in fairyland, a school that doesn't sound like a school... A pool, really? Can I come?--And then the next moment disaster hits. Awesome job.

A story is boring if they lounge in pools all day. Would I have read Percy Jackson if he played soccer for five books? No. Always putting your character in both harms way and just tension keeps the reader, me, continuing to read.

And it worked here.

The letter was completely unexpected. I was expecting, I don't know, an atomic bomb over that! I thought they were completely out of her life for good! Well, that is what you get with Kitty Hyde.
Expect surprises.
~Darth Timmyjake

Wed May 07, 2014 1:22 am
Iggy wrote a review...

Hello love! Here be Iggy. :)

Freaked him out to.

too*

Xavier chalked it up to Kate's personalitity

Personality*

I told both him and Jean no, and went on my merry way.

Unnecessary comma alert.

Illyana was Piotr's, “Little Snowflake”

Unnecessary comma alert.

There was a small pause, and I knew that he was shaking his head.

See above.

before something happens to take it away .I thought.

You see the error, no?

“I've called the others.” The Professor murmured

The period should be a comma.

Kurt let out a small noise and I realized that I was squeezing his fingers to hard

Too*

I apologized as I released them/

That slash should be a comma.

Okay, so your biggest problem is to and too. You need to read articles like this and learn the difference, then make sure you fix any and all mistakes. I also feel like you rush to write and publish this without even stopping to reread it. I think this because of all the punctuations errors and such. Slow down, silly goose. Take your time and fix the nitpicks so the reader has other things to focus on than pointing those out.

Moving on: the thing that bugged me most was HOW DO THEY IGNORE THE "Kitty will now be attending Emma Frost's school" PART?! Because, hello!, did she not try to kill them two books ago?! UGH some people. But that seriously didn't feel accurate or realistic. How do they ignore that crucial detail? I suggest you focus on that because lord knows that's very very important.

I do like how this problem came out of nowhere. You had me thinking it was gonna be something bad! Not that this isn't bad, just out of the blue and unexpected. But a lovely twist. Please don't tell me she actually attends the school? Stupid parents. =-= I can't wait to read chapter two. ^^

Hope this helps.

~Iggy

Deanie wrote a review...

Hey there Knightteen!

This may be a really really short review because there is barely a thing I would change here. You've managed to put great emotion in to this, and added to the drama of Kitty being pulled out. I wonder why her parents suddenly made such a decision, especially since she was fitting in so well. When you're daughters intelligence level is above average of course she will be more social with those above her own age as well... oh well xD

toddling after him thhe only way a five-year-old could

Typo! There were also two points... one where I saw a double full stop where there should be (and intended to be) only one. And another where you used a dash instead of a full stop. Again, I think just typos.

I also forgot Kitty was fourteen! For some reason in my mindset she was always 16...

“....”

I know you were trying to show the silence here, but it looked a bit clumsy to me. I think it would be more effective if you used the slanted Silence like you did a bit before in the chapter again here.

Question mark here? Or maybe just put it as Logan's gruff reply was more of a finalizing statement then a question. I prefer the latter really.

Loving this <3 I wonder what trouble the X-men will get into without her, or Kitty will experience on her own. It would also be nice to see if Xavier had any flicker or a personal reaction to her leaving as well? Or was he completely professional the whole way through?

I am going to keep reading your wonderful chapters ;)

Deanie x

I send you buckets full of stars, the prettiest rainbow I've ever seen and a really adorable unicorn
— Zenith