Mitchell's Help Guide - Chapter 8

by Renard

It seems like an odd time to point out that your reading of this book could have been totally pointless if you say "no" to the question I'm about to ask you.

Is novel writing right for you?

So if you say "no" you may as well stop reading now. JOKING! Nah, the point is, you may suck at committing to a long project. At the end of the day a book is a product and it has to have a lot of work put into it to create it. Most novels take years to write, if you want to do a great job that is.

Take JK Rowling for example, she took seventeen years to complete the Potter Saga. But look where that got her! This hard work could be totally worthit I hope you recognise.

Another interesting fact about Rowling is that she actually took a break from writing Potter after the fourth book ( I think, don't quote me on that, I tried to check my sources, but I couldn't find the answer and I couldn't be bothered to search for too long.)

Moving swiftly on...

When I first started writing, I had the three chapter problem. Let me explain... I was a lazy motherfucker, sat around my house all day wanking and banging chicks. In between that, I did some writing and some actual hard work. So... I wrote three chapters of my novel; and then I got really stuck. Not blocked, just complacent and I thought: can I really do this?

Turned out what I needed was a slap in the face, some rough motivation. And I got it, when my favouritest bear in the world dumped me. I am naming no names, but I think you could guess if you've been looking at the site long enough. (winking subliminally.)

Judging by all the decisions you may possibly have to make, like you will see if you have read the previous chapter: that prospect may put you off entirely. Now, this bear managed to make me get my arse into gear, pick up the pen and start doing something. Rather than sitting around waiting to be hit by inspiration. But that's another problem. Now... I made it past the three wall barrier and then finished the whole fucking thing! And it got published! Not that I'm bragging. Moving on again...

The main thing is, how do you know that novel writing is for you?

The answer: SPOILER ALERT: you don't.

Chances are you will start something with the best of intentions, and get about half way through, think it sucks and give in. Novels are BIG tasks and take a lot of time and effort. You may want to write something shorter, more concise, that has a bigger and possibly better impact. And that is only something you will learn through doing the bloody thing in the first place.

So there you have it.

If you're reading all this and it looks really daunting, perhaps consider whether or not novel writing is really for you?

You may want to start simple, with poetry or even a drabble (100 word story) and see where it leads. Take the time to have fun and experiment.

Chapter Nine will be on the glories of Endings That Don't Suck.

Thu May 01, 2014 7:10 am
Snowery wrote a review...

Back again!! Yeah! :)

Main Points

you may suck at committing to a long project.

I felt like this sentence was incomplete, as if he was going to say more but didn't.

she actually took a break from writing Potter after the fourth book

Maybe, but I know for sure that she took one after the sixth (maybe that's the one you mean?) I was an avid fan back then.

that prospect may put you off entirely

What prospect? Getting a slap in the face? Not clear enough.

Rather than sitting around waiting to be hit by inspiration.

I just feel like this doesn't read well by itself. Maybe connect it to the previous sentence?

This was an interesting chapter. I really liked the content and it really resonated with me. It's something that all writers have problems with and can sometimes have a detrimental effect. I took about four years off writing because I didn't feel I was good enough and would never get published. The three chapter thing is so true! I'm stuck on the fourth chapter of my story at the moment and this was really nice to read. Great job on another great chapter!! :) :) Keep it up!!

Silverlock

Thu May 01, 2014 3:43 am
Iggy wrote a review...

Hey ^^

This hard work could be totally worthit I hope you recognise.

Worth it* also weird sentence forming. Revise.

Moving swiftly on...

Cut out "swiftly". Doesn't work too well.

So... I wrote three chapters of my novel; and then I got really stuck.

Semicolon should be a comma.

Turned out what I needed was a slap in the face, some rough motivation.

Comma should be a semicolon.

I think this is my favorite chapter so far! Much funny, such wow.

The thing I liked was the overall message he got across, and how it's so accurate and easy to understand and relate to. I mean, I've never been in the Three Chapter stage because I can't even get past the Two Chapter stage xD the advice he gave was awesome and relateable (is that a word?) and overall doable.

I liked his attitude in this, with the mention of writing as a side task while he would first "wank and bang bitches." He's a riot, he really is. That part made me laugh out loud lol >_>

I liked this chapter the most because it's funny. It has a smooth flow and there's so much good
advice here. Maybe it's because this is the thing I have the most trouble with, but overall this was very enjoyable. :)

Off to chapter nine.

~Iggy

In short, Mrs. Pontellier was beginning to realize her position in the universe as a human being, and to recognize her relations as an individual to the world within and about her.
— Kate Chopin, The Awakening