The Hater Horse

by fallenoutofgrace

Hater horse: Also known as equum inimicus

Age: it's lifespan is as long as the underworld lives.

Rank: Second in command to both lord Hades and his children made from the bones of the skeletons littering the floors of punishment.

Jobs: When called upon a child of Hades it listened to them only destroying their enemies and aiding them in difficult decisions paid in the flesh of enemies. Only children of Hades may ride a hater horse if a non Hades child shall try to ride the hater horse will show them their deepest nightmare ad bring them to Hades to the fields of punishment where they shall stay for all eternity. It's size is roughly the size of the underworlds most tallest pomegranate tree around 10 feet if in normal size but mainly it stay's the size of a Clydesdale it's hooves are split to be able to find traction in any sub climate area and it communicates by thought to him and it's master at the time .

Myths:

Many years ago when Hades walked the earth in his human form he met a stable boy named idas who was roughly around 14 years old. Hades asked this boy " do you love horses boy?" the boy answered yes for his horses where the only thing he loved. Hades nodded looking " if you can tame my horse you may keep him forever but become greedy or fail and my horse shall change you" he said bring home a black mustang with red glowing eyes. The boy grinning agreed for he have never met such a beautiful horse he took this stallion and began to tam the horse first starting with holding his hand out, and letting it eat out of his hand within a few weeks he was able to ride this horse he brought the now tamed horse to lord Hades who waited and showed him Hades looked saying " you have not tamed my beast you have taught him love. A horse that loves will die in battle" he said and looked to the boy " but you did what I asked so I will ask you do you wish to be free?" the boy who has never had anything but horses agreed blindly. Hades nodded " when midnight comes go to Hades shrine with the black stallion stay their for a forth night and you shall be free" he said the boy did as was told and for a forth night he stayed he came out and saw that his city was destroyed and lord Hades came out " you are free for you are my only son so far I will grant you your wish idas and turned him into the first hater horse. Idas as the wild spirit of the stable boy still wishes to help and enjoys what Hades has done.

Another myth:

This was during the time before the big three decided children were to dangerous for them, and where they moved freely without care. This is where hades began falling for his first, a young maiden centaur known as mayella. Mayella was a willowy framed girl with pale skin and brown eyes hat stared warmly into your soul, her black hair was pulled gracefully into a braid of wild flowers she picked herself. From her waist down she was a stunning black Arabian mare with small dappled spots around her hind quarters. She lived with her heart open, and for hades that heart was open to him as well as his to her. As the meadow grassed thawed and froze their love burned brighter through all and soon mayella was with child. An as it was foretold, mayella gave birth to a beautiful little girl called rosmay, but to hades dismay she was not strong enough and soon disembarked to the underworld, to join the other souls. Hades could not turn away from his only child thus making sure she was cared for. There him and her lived peacefully together until she reached the age of 16 and her curiosity became harder and harder to contain to their peaceful meadow. One mourning as they finished their lessons of shadow travel and monsters hades told rosmay that he needed to leave for the underworld, but to stay within their home while he was away It was during this time that the big three could not have children and all the gods were on the look out. With a heavy heart of leaving his rosmay he disappeared into the shadows to the underworld. Rosmay began wondering through her forest playing with the woodland fawns she called her friends and galloping toward the rivers. To her surprise she saw a young maiden, with long whimsical brown hair. As she trotted over she could hear that the girl was crying, slowly lying down so she was almost to eye level she asked softly with a voice of the meadow, " why do you cry little one?" she asked, she remember that her mother used to say that to her to comfort. The young maiden looked up to the voice and jumped back startled " don't hurt me" she pleaded unsure of this monsters intent. Rosmay looked sadly, " why would I hurt such an innocent soul. I only wish to know if there is anything I can do to soothe your sadness." she said sweetly. The young maiden looked, " my name is Anya, if you wish me safety will you be my friend?" she asked. Rosmay chuckled with pure joy, she had never had a human friend before, father forbade her to be close to any but the fawns who swore to secrecy, her rebellious streak appeared as she nodded rapidly over comed by joy. Soon they two had it down to a routine as soon as rosmay's father left for business they meet by the river and talk and laugh for hours upon end until dusk came and Anya needed to head back home. But like most friendship this was to be doomed, for one day as she reached the river her friend was not alone an older women with olive branch Tierra appeared a hand resting on her friends shoulder. " My dear you were right it seems your uncle has betrayed his family for a centaur." she said softly. Rosmay looked confused, " may I ask who you are ma 'lady?" she asked her long four legs shaking with fright. The maiden chuckled with the laugh of a warm home, " my child I am your aunt Hera." she said. Rosmay nodded suddenly knowing that something bad would happen, " well I must leave goodbye" she said starting to leave but stopped as she noticed something she glimpsed back Anya had an arrow drawn so it would be to her heart. she looked startled and hurt ' Anya, don't was our friendship anything?!" she pleaded. Anya laughed her glaze just as cold as her mothers, " Me friends? with a monster as if" she said and looked " it has been fun, but its time for you to join your true home in tartuerus" she sneered. And it was like that, one simple celestial, bronze arrow tip and rosmay crumpled to the ground her legs being tangled together prayed up kicking to try to right herself once more to no avail. Hera and her daughter quickly disappeared as they heard the booming voice of hades bellowing for his daughter and the rustle of bushes as he fond her frail body. rosmay croaked " Daddy!" she said a single tear slipping as the realm of the souls and the meadow blazed in and out of brilliant light. Hades saw and was thrown from extreme pain and sadness for his kin, to rage for whoever did this. he moved slowly easing her up to her legs again looking at her, " dear I can heal you, we can still live together and be happy, still ride through the meadows just please say yes, let me help you my dear he almost pleaded with her and grinned as she witnessed the smallest incline of her head. He moved quickly placing a hand over the wound and looked into her eyes, staying with her as he started to transform her brilliant black pelt up and over her face turning her into a full horse, except that the skeletons of the horses of hades he kept in stables granted their bones to secure around her black pelt and beautiful face making it impossible for her to be hurt again, a horse head rested over her black face leaving fear to those who would try again to harm her, small flams lap at her hooves now. As she was transformed into a hater horse. And like lord hade promise she still rides with her father through the meadows and forest of the underworld, never again to be separated.

Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:41 am
PebbleToad wrote a review...

This was a pretty cool piece of mythology. I could totally imagine Nico riding this thing into the thick of battle mowing down every enemy in their path. One tiny bit of advice, though. I'm not going to point out all of the grammatical and spelling errors in this piece, but I will say there are more than you would probably like. I suggest reading it out loud to yourself to detect previously overlooked mistakes. Of course, they are not big ones, but it is usually logical to fix them before a zillion people point it out.
Overall, pretty awesome story. It seems like something right out of a mythology book. The hater horse seems to be a formidable adversary, but not too overpowered or crazy scary. One more thing, you should probably say that this is in the Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus universe for fear of confusing non-fans in the second myth. Despite the small stuff, I really enjoyed this story!
-Toady

Thanks and yea I need to go back over this and your right about second myth thanks happy holidays!! :D

Noelle wrote a review...

Hi there! Noelle here for a Review Day review!

So first off, I think it's kind of cool that you have a little introduction here. You take the time to explain what a Hater Horse is before you dive into the story. I've never seen something written like that before. It's kind or weird, but I think I like it that way.

Before I start reading the myth, let me just say that right now bunched together in one huge paragraph. It's important to write in several different paragraphs so it's easier for readers to read. A rule of thumb to remember: start a new paragraph each time there is dialogue from someone new. And the way to know when the make a new paragraph the rest of the time is just by how it's read. Make sure to fix all that when you go through and edit :)

I think this story is very entertaining. It's short and to the point. This boy is given a task by Hades to tame this horse. He does so, but Hades says that he has made the horse love, not be tame. I fail to see the difference between the two, but that's just me.

I'm a bit confused however, about the part where the boy spends the night in Hades's shrine. He spent the night and then went back to his home to find it destroyed? Did I read that right? I think you're missing a part of the story there.

This is a very interesting story and I think it was well written. Just make sure to fix the formatting and add some more information in there to make it a bit less confusing.

**Noelle**

Thanks

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:08 am
WillowPaw1 wrote a review...

Hello there!

Queerelves pointed out most stuff, so I'll just be saying my opinion. :)

First off, quick and easy change in the title:
Right now it's "Science Fiction come to life". Okay, so you need it to all be capitalized and "come" needs to be either "comes" or "coming" (in that case you would need to put the word "is").

I like your point stated in here, and I like your facts. It just needs to be edited. It seems as if this was really rushed when typing. For example:

But that was back then when everything cost a nickel Now in 2014 all those fears on how the world will end are now coming true.

You don't have your period, semicolon, or conjunction. I think you meant to put a period because "Now" is capitalized. If you don't have it, the people reading it will read it much faster.

Also, as queer said, the format makes it very hard to read. It's just all big and chunky, no indentations, an besides that I think it might've been just a YWS formatting problem.

Okay, so, just be sure your flow is good and this is edited. Keep writing!

Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:52 am
queerelves wrote a review...

I like the points you made in your essay, but overall it was very hard to read and understand. The first problem was the formatting: your paragraphs are all indented differently, which makes it unappealing looking and might deter readers. However, the weird formatting might be accidental; from what I've seen, the formatting gets weird on here sometimes.

From here, I'll just break it down paragraph by paragraph.

---

Introduction Paragraph:

You had an introduction paragraph, so points there.

"For years now, Authors have created various examples of futuristic society's. How the world will end up. And each has had a chilling possibility of coming true."

A good start; I wouldn't change anything except the grammar. "Author" should be lowercase, and "society's" should be "societies." Instead of having two separate sentences I would combine the first two as "For years...of futuristic societies, of how the world will end up." I would slash "And" off the beginning of the next sentence.

"But that was back then when everything cost a nickel Now in 2014 all those fears on how the world will end are now coming true."

This is a little unclear. You say "But that was back..." but don't tell us what "that" is. Instead, say something like, "But these stories were written back..." or "These futures were imagined back..." Add a period after nickle (or even a semi-colon). Add commas before and after "in 2014" and you'll be good.

If this is a formal essay, you should have a thesis statement. Maybe something like, "Classical science fiction has predicted the future of society; it's predicted [x], [y], and [z]." I'm bad at writing thesis statements, but you get the gist.

---

First Body Paragraph:

"One example of a problem that is now a major issue is over population of the planet. On average right now the world consist of over 7 billion people. Roughly 2 billion more will come in the year 2050."

The beginning of your first body paragraph is really good. You state your example and support it with facts. If you were to change anything, I would change "come in" to "come by."

"Due to the rise of population that continues to expand it has created issues."

I just don't like the phrasing here. It doesn't flow right.

"For instance, Our planet is the size it is, it won't grow or shrink but our population can do both. We will someday run out of room on our planet."

Good! You state a fact, and you support it. Tweak the grammar and it'll be perfect. Also, don't use pronouns like "you" "we" "our" or "I" in an essay.

"Also, by over population food sources must double in crop production. As of right now the percentile of our crops that are going to feeding Us, human beings is 55% the other are made for animals; such as farm animals. Now where will we put this extra places for crops?"

You start to lose me here. Your wording is a little confusing. I get the gist of what you're saying, but I'm a little confused. You could cut a lot of the unnecessary parts and shorten it up plus make it make more sense. "Over population will cause a greater need in food production" will do. The part about 55% of crops being for humans seems excessive and unnecessary. It doesn't help you to prove your point, and it just makes it longer. Your last sentence is perfect. Again, don't use "us"

"Certainty not the tropical rainforest in brazil and the amazon that are not nothing more than corn fields. Perhaps reusing farms we already process? Or even plant crops that will give the most benefits in our nutrimental diet we need to at least survive."

I'm confused. Your wording doesn't make sense. And what's the point of coming up with solutions to these problems? That's going off topic; your essay isn't about creating solutions to those problems. Don't use "we."

Finally, you didn't mention how this was related to science fiction at all; all you said was that it was a problem in our society. Where did this happen in science fiction? Who wrote about it? What did they say about it? Those are important parts of this essay. Without them, this essay is just about approaching problems.

---

Second Body Paragraph:

Instead of focusing so heavily on the rainforest here, you might be best to broaden it and talk about damage to our environment as a whole because broader topics are almost always best.

The first thing you need is a topic sentence. You had a great one in the first body paragraph ("One example of a problem that is now a major issue is over population of the planet"), and now you need one in this paragraph.

"The rainforest have had thousands of miles wide and long of trees, that can recycle the oxygen that we need to breathe. By cutting and burning away the rainforest now our oxygen percentage on earth has dropped dramatically."

Good! Perfect! You have a claim, support, and it's something that will be directly impacting your reader since everyone needs oxygen. Don't use "our."

"If we replaced what we used then we could revert the dramatic drop of oxygen we have loosed by destroying the forest, but were not. Instead we are acting like nothing is wrong using fertilizers in our corn fields that drain away into the streams and the amazon not only killing the forest eco system but the amazon river eco system as well."

There's no sense in giving us a solution to this problem--at least not in this essay. Tell us more ways our environment is being impacted, and then tell us about how it relates to science fiction. Tell us what science fiction stories had this same problem, tell us what science fiction writers wrote about it. That's important. And don't use "we."

---

Third Body Paragraph:

I'm super confused about this entire paragraph. You keep jumping all over the place, and I'm not sure what exactly you're talking about.

First off, topic sentence. Make sure it mentions black outs and the later part about humans turning savage because of it.

"Beside those problems we also have this possibility that research shows could happen." What possibility? What research? The order and phrasing of this sentence doesn't really make much sense. You could say something like, "Besides those problems, research shows that a blackout may be possible." Also, don't use "we."

"You have all seen the books of black outs and apocalypse. One of the most known event that could create one that is a possibility is a black out." Besides using "you," I think you're good here.

"It is known that during a natural disaster or an emergency even the most nicest person has the opportunity of turning bad. Human beings as a whole are animals. With the basic instincts in a situation of flight or fight."

I'm a little confused now. Instead of jumping from blackouts to humans being animals, maybe add a little transition? Maybe introduce this as your introducing blackouts. Add this bit to your topic sentence.

"Now if the world ever had a black out from a solar flare. Due to the fact of the sun's abnormally active state. Or to a war, whether with our own country or with another due to the most common reason for war land, or oil."

I'm even more confused. I don't think this part is necessary. Instead, relate this to science fiction. That's important, still.

---

Conclusion Paragraph:

Props for having a conclusion paragraph.

"The reasons of why bringing up a few of the problems we now face? is like most solutions complex but simple. These problems are occurring during our generation and will throughout ours and our grand children's. to better the lives of future generations we must fix the problems in this one. We must be able to give our children the life they deserve in a world that is green and beautiful and not destroyed. We must better the lives of today to ensure the prosperity of tomorrow."

I think you should redo this paragraph. It doesn't relate to science fiction, it doesn't include a restated thesis, etc.

---

I think you have a good basis for an essay here, and I'm sorry I kind of tore it apart.

The reason a boat sinks isn't the water around it. It sinks when water gets into it. Don't let what's happening around you weigh you down.
— dalisay