Spirits - Prologue

by Auxiira

"Our land has always been here, though before it was only a dusty bowl of infertile lands, spinning in the waters under the skies. Creatures, entities we call Spirits, populated these lands, constantly fighting each other for control and wreaking havoc. They created the mountains in their fury, shore land from the edges of the land and created the cliffs, and didn't allow anything to grow. This went on for a long time, and there were no seasons then to count time by.

Until, one day, a fragment of the Ord fell from the sky, causing the Spirits to stop their fighting with its brilliance. It bathed our land with life and blew the Spirits from the grasslands, where it landed. Humans came from the fragment, animals from the very centre, populating the spread of grass which had grown in the instant the jagged piece had hit the ground. The grass stopped at the base of the mountains which the Spirits had raised, which sat at the set of the Ord; fell to the sea at the rise and in between grew great trees which cast shadows and hid the Spirits. It became their domain.

The Spirits, furious at this intrusion into what they considered their lands, united for the first time and blew in the sands, reminding us of who possessed the grass by rights, and that we could not survive where they rule."

A low chorus of hisses snuck through the group of children, raising indulgent smiles from their parents. The memories of every time they had heard the story floated behind their eyes.

On the edge of the group, a child watched the others hiss, a frown creasing her brow. "Ene, Elder, what about the Staeil? Did they not help?" The listening adults stilled, searching for the girl's parents with disapproving eyes. The other children glared at her angrily for interrupting the story. The Elder just smiled indulgently.

"That's what they wanted us to think. In reality, they were working with the Spirits to cause our downfall." Despite their anger, the children sat a little straighter. The Staeil weren't talked about frequently. "When they first appeared amongst our own, saying that they could talk to the Spirits, try and calm their fury for us all, it seemed an Ord sent miracle. Little did we know that they were letting the Spirits into their minds, to see our weaknesses and allowing them to attack. They wiped out entire tribes, bringing the sands further into the grasses, killing all of the animals where we were, summoning great winds that swept us over cliffs. Thousands of us died at their hands. Eventually, we went against the nature of humans and killed our own. It broke our hearts, but we saved more than we killed. It was a necessary evil.” The girl nodded at this, then frowned pensively.

“What would happen if a Steit appeared now?”

“We would have to kill them, my dear. They are too much of a threat. We cannot allow the risk to live.”

A somber mood fell over the camp, settling everyone into silence. The Staeil were rarely talked about. After a few seconds, someone coughed, and everyone started. The adults started moving around the fire again, and the final rays of sunlight haloed the Elder's head.

“I think that's enough stories for tonight, children.” The spell was broken as the rag-tag group scrambled to their feet and trailed towards the tents, everyone except a dark haired boy avoiding the little girl.

“Come on, Keilei.” She grasped his hand, her head filled with creatures swirling in the air and howling on mountains.

Zarhail wrote a review...

The grass stopped at the base of the mountains which the Spirits had raised, which sat at the set of the Ord; fell to the sea at the rise and in between grew great trees which cast shadows and hid the Spirits. It became their domain. - this portion is a little bit confusing. so the mountains are bare, but where do the trees grow? I think the seat of the Ord might be what is meant here. The trees grew between what? Where did the sand come from?

"We cannot allow the risk to live." seems like an odd way to phrase it. Maybe we can't tolerate the risk of it happening again?

All in all I like it a lot though. you managed to compact the entire origin story and insert it in an organic way. Having it be in character of course also has the advantage of being able to blame inaccuracies and gaps on them and using those for further plot points. All in all I'm just nitpicking.

Deanie wrote a review...

Hey Auxii~

About time I read this story! Happy review day as well :) You've had some lovely reviews on this as well, so I'm sorry if I repeat but I don't have time to read all of them :')

This is a very interesting beginning. We can already tell that the world in which the story is set is different from our own and is about surviving from the spirits and the Staeil who allow the Spirits in. But other than that, I feel like we don't get much from this prologue but history, and how mentioning the unmentionable is frowned upon...

The beginning to me felt a bit like an infodump. I could see you tried to incorporate it as a story for the children, but my mind was super busy trying to grasp all this info on the world - a bit too much in one go I think. Maybe give us a bit of backstory about the Spirits like you did, and leave the Staeil out for another time... maybe when the friends are gone they whisper what they know to each other or they encounter one or something. But for me this prologue felt a bit like too much info in one go!

Another way to break up the information would be to give us a bit more description on the surroundings. What do we see is this group of people are much like a tribe, what with the Elder and fire and hissing and tents, which is super cool. :D But what about where they've set up camp? Desert, forest or near water, all those things would be lovely to see. It breaks up the focus on the history as well.

The Elder sounds so wise and patient, I like this person already. I am looking forwards to meeting some characters and Keili in future chapters as well... so I best go read them and find out!

Deanie x

Auxiira says...

Hey Deanie!
Thanks for the review <3

I'm not sure whether I'm going to keep this as a prologue, but if I do, I'll be sure to put in a bit more description!
The Elder was going to be a little less tolerant later on, but I think he'll be the really nice person who accepts her >.>

<3

TinkerTwaggy wrote a review...

Hi Auxiira, and thanks for introducing me to this piece :)
Really, I'm grateful, I mean It's not as if I HAD to read it, or anything...
*flashback* "SHUT UP AND READ!" "Yes my Master D: " *end of flashback*
Yeah, pretty much, haha...*cries*

Ahem.

So I read it. I think all the nitpicks have been pretty much covered, so I'll skip that part.
THAT.WAS.AWESOME.
First of all I like Fantasy stories in general. I like to explore new worlds, and this exactly what I was doing throughout the Elder's tale. Seriously if I was in the campfire, I would've ask for another one. In any case, that was a good feeling, and the quality of the narration made it even better. Then it switched back to an actual setting (stories around a campfire), which makes this beginning much more original than an actual classic narrator explaining everything. The transition tale/chorus of hisses was amusing too, I liked that.

Then there's the story itself.
It is very original to me, I don't think I've ever seen any stories starting like that, especially not with the way human beings arrived on the Spirits' domain. Oh and, haha, those Steit dudes? I'm gonna LOVE them XD I usually adore evil doers anyway, that's probably why. In any case, I don't how the second paragraph looked like before, but you modified it well :) I understood everything, it was mysterious and even though it lacked details, It was probably the point (usually prologues stay vague from my experience).

Keep it up! Now I too am waiting for the first chapter :3

Auxiira says...

hehe you read it aaaannyyywaaayyy, fuzzie! The Staeil aren't the bad guys, but to the tribespeople, they are. BUT that is to come later, so, you will see.

TinkerTwaggy says...

Of course I did! I wasn't going to miss an opportunity to discover a new world :3 *giggles at fuzzie*
ah... that is interesting. Aww, the I'll have to wait patiently I guess.. Oh well! Please warn me when Chap 1 is on :)

Auxiira says...

Sure!

Iggy wrote a review...

Auxii, bby, here as requested. (yes, with no glasses) /.\

A few teeny nitpicks:

causing the Spirits to stop their fighting with it's brilliance.

Its*

It bathed our land with life and blew the Spirits from the grasslands, where it landed.

Describe how it landed. Show the readers, make them think that they were there to see it!

The grass stopped at the base of the mountains which the Spirits had raised, which sit at the set of the Ord;

Sat*

"That's what they wanted us to think. In reality, they were working with the Spirits to cause our downfall."Despite their anger, the children sat a little straighter.

Space is needed between the dialogue and "Despite their anger..."

Okay! Nitpicks aside.

I adore world building and I adore that you did it so nicely, with terms of your own. Ord, Steit, etc. They are all nice and give this the fantasy tone it was meant to have. ^^

I'm enjoying this so far! I love that we get a bit of history from the instant start, and I like that it was told via the Elder telling a story to the children instead of the narrator reminiscing on what s/he was told. I like that this girl is inquisitive and smart and that through her, we see that the adults prefer for children to listen and not talk.

Overall, this is off to a good start. The flow was smooth throughout, especially with the story-telling. I'm loving this so far so do let me know whenever chapter one comes out. :)

Auxiira says...

Thank you for the review, Iggsy beb! <3

I will get those nit-picks when I have the time, thank you!

There was another reason for the adults being a little peeved, because the Staeil are a little taboo, but I don't think I brought that out enough, maybe >.> It comes out a lot more, later.

Good to know I succeded with this!

thank ye!
Auxii <3

Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:36 pm
Audy wrote a review...

Hey Auxxi <3

So I know YWS format is tricky stuff, so I'm not gonna bother going into too much about that, just to briefly mention that your dialogues need to be properly indented. Each paragraph should start with a quotation and the end quotation like you've rightly done ends the speaking part.

-> Indent: "Our land has always been here.. (no closing tag)

-> Indent: "Until one day... (no closing tag)

-> Indent: "The spirits furious ... we could not survive where they rule." (closing tag!)

-> Indent: A low chorus of hisses...

This is so that it makes it clear that there's a long speaking part, otherwise it blends into the rest of the narrative. I noticed the point of view switch and I was like what? And I had to read it over again to realize that the speaking part ended with the chorus of hisses, so make sure to indent that and every other speaking part as a new paragraph so that it's 100% clear.

I think the good thing about this prologue is that it sort of tells us of the story to come, and we've already got some knowledge as to this world of spirits, Staeils, & humans and that greater conflict. So yeah, as a story idea, I find it exciting and interesting and I would definitely read on. I do not like prologues in the slightest though, I think that in final drafts and after you've finished the work if you haven't already, then you can definitely afford to cut this part out, but for now I think it serves well to give us a direction and set the tone for the grand epic fantasy narrative.

I would also go back and comb through for commas and for phrasings to clean this up some, so for example:

They created the mountains in their fury, shore land from the edges of the land its edges(?) To clean it up some. and created the cliffs, and didn't allow anything to grow (Already mentioned that in the first sentence, no?)

I hope this helps,

~ as always, Audy

Auxiira says...

Hey Audster, thanks for the review!
I struggled with the Publishing centre to get indents for ages, but no luck :(
I didn't edit this before posting, either, so yeah, maybe a little messy. I had a paragraph at the beginning that maybe softened the perspective change, but wasn't sure whether to put it or not, so I didn't. Here it is, if you want it:

Auxiira says...

Okay, I cannot get it to let me post the paragraph, but if you want to read it, just tell me and I'll PM it to you >.>

Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:10 pm
puppys3117 says...

This is really good! This is going to be a review and nothing is bad! Here you go!

Spelling: PERFECT (can I get any more clear than that?)
Grammer: STILL PERFECT
Suspence: not that much but that doesn't matter!
Rating: stars: 5, 1 to 10: 9 1/2

Cant wait for first chapter!!! Keep doing what you are doing!

Auxiira says...

Thank you, puppy!

RoyalHighness wrote a review...

Hey, Auxii!
RoyalHighness here to review!
Alright, so this is a really interesting idea, and pretty well-written. There are a few things you need to clear up, but other than that, I really like this idea.
I see what you're trying to do in not explaining what all the words mean, but you need to be careful. At first, I was a little confused just because the names are so out-there. But once the story progressed, I understood what everything was.
The names are a little funky, but I kind of like it! The names add to the tribal vibe I'm getting from this piece.
I like how you started off with the narrative, but I think you might want to take a look at that second paragraph. It's a little off, and I think it just needs to be re-worded. I don't quite understand whether the Spirits landed in the grasslands or the Ord, what the grasslands did after the Ord fell, and the first sentence just needs to be re-phrased, because it's a little clunky and awkward.
I need more descriptions. Where are the people? Are they in the middle of the grasslands? As they in the mountains? What are they wearing? The descriptions will help set the rest of the story, the time period, the setting, etc. More descriptions!
I like the reactions of the people to the little girl, and I like the reactions of the children to the story. I like how you mention that the adults have heard the story before many times; all of these things add to an almost family-like feeling among the characters. Nicely done!
Overall, I give this four stars of five, because it's a pretty cool plot so far; the only things you need are a little rephrasing and some descriptions. Keep writing!

Auxiira says...

Hey RoyalHighness! Thank you for reviewing!
So I'll work on the second paragraph!
I was intentionally sparse with details. The aim of this prologue was mainly to inform the reader of the past story. Normally I'm a lot more descriptive, and I cut it down on purpose.

Okay, fantastic, that makes sense! I'm really looking forward to the rest of this story!

Auxiira says...

I changed the bit in the second paragraph if you want to have a look!

(Also, have you thought about joining the Knights of the Green Room? I see you're reviewing a lot of green Room stuff, and it's something fun to do. If you go to the forums, you'll see them.)

That's much better! Love it :D
And thank you, I'll go check it out!

We always talk about the "doers" and "dreamers" but I'd like to give a big shoutout to the "tryers".
— Hannah Hart