The Boy In Chains.

by Emanuelle

I stared at him.

I stared, because I hadn't the mind to do anything else.

He did not seem to notice me. In a way, I thought, it was good that he didn't. He lay crumpled on the dirty linoleum floor, bleeding where his rusty manacles rubbed skin. It was disgusting, how his skin not only chafed but rotted, leaking ichor alongside blood and pus. His hair was a tangle of long, blood-shocked strands that clung to his face, neck, and shoulders. He lay motionless, broken on the ground, head bowed. His whole form shimmered, almost as if he was a mirage. I stared at him in awe.

I stood transfixed, something akin to fear rushing through my veins and roaring in my ears. My wrists, my ankles, my neck felt bitterly light and increasingly so as I looked down at them, then at the manacles that so cruelly clamped around his. He did not belong there. Yet there he was, in what seemed to be a hopeless repose that touched the borders of death. A picture of defeat on a blank white canvas. A foreign thing in a room, a space, wherever it was we stood, that held nothing, nothing at all but him. And me, of course.

What was that, twirling around in the periphery of my mind? Guilt? Sorrow? Curiosity? I failed to place it. An alien, obscure weight in my stomach, sour and restless and flopping like a dying fish. Words; words tumbled around in my mind. Meaningless fractions of sentences and questions bounced off the insides of my skulls, colliding with each other and forming more meaningless phrases. Even unbound I could hardly move.

"Why are you in chains?" I inquired, surprised at my own ability to speak. My heart hammered wildly against my sternum with the force of Mjölnir, faster than a jackrabbit's. Silence was his only answer. I stood. I stared. I gathered myself and stepped closer. "Who put you in chains?"

Again, no response. I asked again and again, repeatedly, incessantly, madly, and he still gave no response. I could not see his face. I paced closer to him so that his bowed head was only two feet away from my knees. His stillness was gasoline and he was fueling my frantic, confused cacophony.

But what was he to me? That I could not tell. He was nothing. He was a thing with chains on his limbs, unmoving, unresponsive. That should have been the extent of it, but it wasn't. I needed to know who he was. I needed to know something, anything about him. Something that could clear the clutter in my thoughts and the rush in my ears. Something that could stop the hideous churning in my stomach.

Countless questions I flung at him, a silent breath his only reply to each. IT was not long before my words were barely words at all, merely noise I made in a vain attempt to drown out the raging swirl of little demons inside me. At last, in a blazing column of frustration, I screamed--a hoarse, anguished screech rose from the deepest regions of my being. I screamed until I could not feel my head. I fell silent. No. Fell into silence.

"What's your name?" I asked, after an eternity. His frame expanded, breathed, came to life before my eyes. His hair shimmered and shifted from one color to another as he moved. He moved to rise--his shoulder blades protruded, not unlike a cat's when it stalks its prey from tallgrass. As he got onto his knees I saw that he was naked, but in that time and being I did not care. He stood. He was incandescent. Kaleidoscopic. Positively divine.

In one moment, he looked a Bedouin--skin dark like the finest rosewood, an angel of the desert; and the next, he was an ivory sculpture of Freyr. One moment he was skin and bones and nothing more; in the next, he stood a spitting image of Apollo. I looked up. His eyes were as iridescent as the rest of his being--shifting and dancing across and within a vast spectrum of colors. And yet all this inconsistency mixed into one solitary unfathomable hue of wholeness and perfection--one that not even the blood and wounds could mar. He bore his manacles, bore his collar, bore his chains with pride and strength that I have, in all my life, never encountered.

"Tell me your name" I implored. A smile wove onto his face, one that so easily displaced hopelessness and defeat with a valiant halo of victory. He breathed in deep before releasing it again. His lips parted.

"My name..." he began. His voice was like sandpaper, hoarse and dissonant, as if he hadn't spoken in centuries. Even so, it was a timbre of deep, elegiac melody and I felt that his voice alone was the definition of music. "Is Freedom."

ConfusedGlasses says...

This is actually good. I like how you depicted freedom. Its really picturesque and I like the way you describe things. Its just that, I don't think freedom would be so silent. Okay. Maybe i'm taking this too symbolically. Or not. Well, either way it was good.

Emanuelle says...

I don't know what he'd say if he said anything, really...
thanks man :)

Well figures. This is freedom we're talking about.
You're welcome. ;)

You're welcome. ;)

RoyalHighness wrote a review...

RoyalHighness here to review!
Hmm. Overall, I'd say this was okay.
The problem I have is that you used one too many cliches.
The sentence "I could not see him as of yet," is a little jarring. Why not just take out the "as of"? You use fewer words, and sound a little less like you're trying too hard.
I don't understand why your narrator is freaking out so much about some stranger in chains. Why does your narrator care so much? Is there some kind of inner conflict we don't know about that's driving the raving questions?
"A myriad of questions..." This sentence is clunky and out of place. Again, it sounds like you're trying too hard to describe something very simple. I like the concept, but the wording is just a little weird.
Your repetition of "iridescent," makes it sound like you've run out of ways to describe Freedom.
I'm going to be honest, I rolled my eyes when I read his name was Freedom, but for the sake of the story, I love the irony of Freedom being in chains. I just thought it was a little over dramatic and cliched. But I feel like most people really like his name, and the idea is really cool, so don't change it.
Okay, now let's talk about what I did like!
I liked how your descriptions. Every single one is right on point, if a little wordy in some places. Great job.
I liked how you used mythological figures to describe Freedom.
I like how you describe his voice as well as his deterioration and looks. I could almost hear his voice on the edge of my hearing. Great job!
Overall, I give this three and a half stars out of five, because I think you could use some fine tuning and find some better phrases that are your own, but your descriptions are horrifyingly fantastic. Good job!

Emanuelle says...

Hi!
Eesh. I just re-read the whole thing now (as it's a mad copy and paste from a dream journal entry), and I realize how right you are.
Kinda makes me want to facepalm, but hey, that's life.

NEVER BE EMBARRASSED ABOUT YOUR ART!
It's always better than you think it is.

Emanuelle says...

okay, man... I won't be. Thank you.
*shakes fist in salute*

Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:05 am
katngo73 wrote a review...

HOLY POOP MAN
THIS IS HORRIFYINGLY AMAZING.
And what I love about this is that it addresses thoughts that most people don't usually think about.
"What? Freedom? In chains?"
But it's true.
Freedom is in chains. We're bound by rules and restricted from being ourselves.
What a brilliant piece of literary work! You seriously need to write a sequel or something. This is just terrific!
<3

Emanuelle says...

hahah thank you man.
I wouldn't know what to do if I were to make a sequel. Suggestions? *wiggles eyebrows*
*u*

This was an excellent piece of writing! I would be interested for you to create an alternate reality with this; it could very well become the next dystopian craze.

Emanuelle says...

*gasp*
an alternate reality? the next dystopian craze?
you flatter me <3

CollinWitte wrote a review...

I really liked your descriptions - it helped get the point across. This gave me a new outlook on the concept of Freedom; it's something I don't usually think about. At first, I thought you were describing an actual person ... but when the character said his name was Freedom, I understood this piece was describing the concept of Freedom. I really liked it, keep up the good writing!

Emanuelle says...

thank you!
(can't think of anything else to say)

Emanuelle says...

thank you!
(can't think of anything else to say)

You've got great description here--I actually flinched a bit at the part about the boy's skin rotting away. EW. It was vivid enough that it actually affected me. And I like that you describe not only his condition and his looks, but also his voice, and the way you use folkloric figures and various cultures to describe his looks (and even the way the narrator's heart is pounding):

My heart hammered wildly against my sternum with the force of Mjölnir, faster than a jackrabbit's own.

In one moment, he looked a Bedouin--skin dark like the finest rosewood, an angel of the desert; and the next, he was an ivory sculpture of Freyr. One moment he was skin and bones and nothing more; in the next, he stood a spitting image of Apollo.

I think some of the writing could be a little cleaned up or cut down on--in the first quote above, for example, I would cut the word "own" at the end. And in this bit here:

It was rather disgusting, I admit, how his skin seemed not only to chafe but to rot, leaking ichor alongside blood and pus.
(Ew)

To tighten this sentence and make it have even more impact than the mention of ichor and pus already does (EW), I'd cut "rather" and "I admit," as they distance us from the fact of the boy's condition. So the sentence would then look this:

"It was disgusting, how his skin seemed not only to chafe but to rot, leaking ichor alongside blood and pus."

You could actually go even further and get read of "seemed": "It was disgusting, how his skin not only chafed but rotted, leaking ichor alongside blood and pus."

Other than nitpicks, though, I'd say the main thing I'd like to know in this story is, what is the narrator doing there? Is he (he?) chained up like Freedom is, or is he free-standing? And if so (either scenario), why?

I mean, you don't have to give us complete details, because this is a short story, but it would be nice to at least get a hint of what the narrator is doing in the place that Freedom is chained up. (Speaking of which, is it actually a prison? Where are they?)

Blue

Emanuelle says...

Greetings!
sorry for making you flinch at the whole rotting skin thing. Okay. I have to stop laughing at how many 'ew's you put in there, because that's making me feel a little guilty.
I admit I put some unnecessary words in there most of the times, and my sentences could use cleaning up. I'll work on that.

(I don't even know where they are, by the way, I just scrapped it from a dream. What do you suggest I do with this?)

Carpe Diem
— Catullus