12+

Letters

by ShadowHunter

Dear Friend,

We have only just met, and yet I feel a kindred spirit in you. You seem to know the thoughts of my mind before I think them, my movements before I make them. I wonder how you do this. We are still practically strangers to each other, and yet, I addressed this letter to my friend, so I guess we aren't really strangers are we? I know we will see each other again sometime, I hope that we can continue to get to know each other.

Sincerely,

Me

Dear Friend,

We have grown ever closer, and yet I am terrified. Something awful has happened, or something wonderful, I haven't decided yet. I have fallen in love with you. I have tried to stop myself, God knows I did everything I could, but I couldn't. You seem to know the song of my heart, and you are playing it for all you are worth. I want to know everything and anything there is to know about you. I don't know how this turns out, but I hope we both come out happy.

Love, yes, I do mean love,

Me

Dear Friend,

I feel like crying, but I know I can't. I feel like screaming, but I can't do that either. I feel like kicking and scratching and breaking things, but I can't do any of these things. I feel like doing all of this because you have a girlfriend. I have lost a love that was never mine to claim in the first place. But it hurts, oh God it hurts so badly. I wish I had told you how I felt when I had the chance, I wish I hadn't been terrified that you would reject me. Even a rejection would have been better than this not knowing. At least then I would have known you had never loved me back and I could have moved on. Now I am held back by just the possibility of your love.

Love,

Me

Dear Friend,

Why? Why would you leave me like this? I had called you up and asked you to come over . Finally, finally I had worked up the courage to tell you about my true feelings, and you wrecked your car. You wrapped the front end of your stupid car around that stupid lamp post. I was wrong when I said that not knowing was painful. That was was merely a scratch compared to this. I would trade anything to have you back, even if it meant I never got to tell you. I don't know how I will go on, but I know I must go on, for you. You would be furious with me if I even thought about suicide. So I will go on, and life a life for the both of us.

With everything I have,

Me

Dear Friend,

I have a boyfriend. I am trying to move on, but it feels like I have betrayed you in some way. I just can't get over you, even though it's been almost a year since your death. I can't stop thinking about your laugh or your eyes at the most random times, and I get sad all over again. The doctors say I'm depressed, but I'm doing my best to make my worth something for you.

With hope,

Me

Dear Friend,

It was the fifth year anniversary of your death today. I locked myself in my room and stared up at my ceiling all day. I had hoped that with time, I would lose some of my sadness, but it hasn't happened. Most of the hurt has disappeared over the years, but not the sadness. I don't think I will ever lose the sadness.

In sorrow,

Me

Dear Friend,

I'm getting married today. I thought you might like to know. I think you would approve of my choice. He is smart and kind and funny. He isn't as good as you, but I don't think anyone will ever be as good as you. You where my first love after all. If you had lived, this day could have gone in an entirely different way, but I actually like the way my life turned out.

With bittersweet memories,

Me

Dear Friend,

I am lying on my deathbed, it only seems fitting that I should think of you now, after all these years. I am terrified that any of these words will be my last, so I will try and get them down as quickly as I can. My life was a happy one, I got married and had kids, I even named one after you. I have lived a long and eventful life, even if I did have my moments of stillness. But those moments were important, they helped me to prepare myself for all of the activity that was to come next. Those moments were just as important as all the others, maybe even more, because they were all about moving on. I love you, I don't think I ever stopped loving you from the moment I laid eyes on you. I don't think I will ever stop loving you until the last breath leaves my body. I hope you forgave me for every moment I never told you. I hope you forgive me for every moment I forgot you or didn't live for you.

See you soon my love,

Me

Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:55 am
eldEr wrote a review...

Hey there! Isha here for a review :)

So, overall, I really liked this piece. I don't know if there will be much to this review, because there isn't much to review.

I really enjoyed the fact that the lover died. Which, wow, that sounds kind of terrible, but hey, it was a nice twist. And it wasn't some run-of-the-mill "accident that placed love interest near death but then love interest miraculously recovered and they lived HAPPILY EVER AFTER YAY" story, so. Props for being willing to delve into the depressing.

The only thing that really bothered me was how stiff some of the prose was, especially at the beginning. I mean, love letters like that have always sort of creeped me out more than threw me into awe over how lovey and adorable and beautiful they are, so it could just be me, but. There was something ridiculously formal about the way it was written? Like it was trying to sound all distinguished and stuff, but really, it just sounded... clipped and forced. Like you were trying to be poetic, but it just didn't work out as well as you'd wanted. The voice is kind of bland, and there isn't much personality to it, you know? You need to be willing to write a letter like the average person writes. Give the writer of the letters a unique voice that suits their personality.

It is a really sweet idea, though, so I commend you for that. ;)

Good job and keep writing,
~Ish

GreenTulip wrote a review...

Hi, Tulip here to give you a review.

I LOVED this. It was marvelously well written and shows the strong feelings that any girl or boy can have towards the one who they are destined to be with (or believe that they are destined to be with).

I love how it is not just one long letter, but rather separate letters, that help to show the girl's love for the boy she lost. I felt myself feeling her sadness at the lost. I am very sympathetic and empathetic so this is a really tough post for me to read.

I suppose I loved this part the most:

Dear Friend,

With everything I have,

Me

Why I liked this one so much, you may find yourself asking? Well I liked this one the most because it shows what every person should do if they EVER lose someone close to them, even if it was a crush and never developed into something more. Keep Living. Nothing good will come out of you ending your life because you lost a single person.

Good job.

Lithor says...

Wow! What a touching story. Cue applause. I loved the letter format you used. The way you presented every stage of the girl's life was incredible. I see nothing wrong with this story! A+

A good artist should be isolated. If he isn't isolated, something is wrong.
— Orson Welles