z

Young Writers Society


16+

Strangers

by megustapastel


Warning: This work has been rated 16+.

Strangers. Whenever I look at my parents all I think is strangers.

Piles and piles of fake conversation overflowing their straight faces,
not even room left to leave me a single smile.
Because the door to my life is closed forever.
And I can’t the find the key.

Stepmother, I know you never wanted me.
everyday you stepped down on me like I was part of the cracked cement on the floor
avoiding me like I would bad luck or a curse to you,
pointing out every flaw, imperfections on my body, and judgement on my attitude
Am I wrong for coming home everyday wanting someone to ask me what I wanted for dinner or how was my day, because I wanted you to care.
you devoured my very own vision of my childhood,
broken pieces of a child who just wanted somebody to love them.
because I just wanted a motherly figure to care for me.
I didn’t get that.

Father, Though I rarely see you, I never look forward to our conversations.
Rolling my eyes, as you offer your heartless, ignorant incite on everything like your mind is full with knowledge of the world.
Everyday, you ask me what I want to do with my life.
I say that I want to write.
But you tell me that I’m wrong.
My brain is boggled by the lack of consideration you caress in your mind.
One night with a chuckle, you told me you thought people who are depressed are just weak and you hope i’m not like that.
But what if I was?
What if I was so fed up with the lack of care, loneliness, inconsideration I feel in my bones and I killed myself.
Then would you laugh and call me weak?

You see, I couldn’t open up my mind or my heart to you even if tried
This household is nothing but an act, set like a play, scripted, repeated conversations, like everyday we put on a show.
Money couldn’t buy away the loneliness that I feel.
I seek refuge in my safe haven, My room is my own little sanctuary, locked up with myself,
I remember back when I was a freshman,
I used to binge drink my way into not remembering things that put me down,
smoking away bitter thoughts and memories so I didn’t feel them,
Feeling intoxicated just so I could forget myself,
I hated myself.
I just wanted feel appreciated.
Acknowledged, cared for.
I’ve left evidence of bottles and the lighter.
Because I’m not as innocent and naive as you think I am.
your fucked up version of ‘daddy’s little girl’ is a lie.

Because you ruined her with your false visions of what good parenting actually looks like.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
103 Reviews


Points: 747
Reviews: 103

Donate
Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:24 am
anshira wrote a review...



Hi, hope you had a good day. Reviewing after nearly two months so please don't go too hard on me.

Firstly, I love this poem. It's lovely and is very expressive when it comes to emotions. I liked the figurative imagery used at times; it adds spice to your work. You really make the readers feel the anger, sadness and loneliness that girl is going through. I think your poem could use a bit of arranging- some lines are too long while some are short and that could use balancing.

Overall: I really liked this poem and hope to read more from you very soon.

- Anshira.




User avatar
530 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 530

Donate
Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:40 am
Renard wrote a review...



Hey

So this is a very angry poem. 'your fucked up version of ‘daddy’s little girl’ is a lie.' to say the least. I am glad you rated it as you did, because the ideas in this are definitely suited to younger readers.
I don't know what inspired you to write this piece, but I can imaginee that the majority of it stemmed from personal experience. Which is great, sure, but at the same time, the whole poem is completely tainted with it.

'Feeling intoxicated just so I could forget myself,
I hated myself.
I just wanted feel appreciated.
Acknowledged, cared for. '

The way you are phrasing the mentions of your ideas is fairly standard, so the audience can understand what the narrator is feeling and saying within the poem. I think if you made it anymore personal you would lose that connection and it wouldn't carry off as well as it does.

I like what you're doing here, mainly because I admire the honesty in the piece, however, I do't understand what overall message you are trying to leave the reader with.
'Because you ruined her with your false visions of what good parenting actually looks like.'
This seems like the sort of thing you should have written to show to the parents to deliberately piss them off and make them understand the severity of their actions.
If I am correct and that's what you have done here, then right on! :)




User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 71
Reviews: 12

Donate
Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:08 am
Oliverisorange wrote a review...



Hello!
This was an excellent piece of work. I would have loved to see you perform it. Even though I can not hear your voice, I feel as though the words would flow out of you with a hint of shakiness in your voice. It sure did chill my bones. I enjoyed the perspective change in the last line, it summed up the poem quite nicely.
It had very nice rhythm and the hook sentence was well constructed.
My only critique:
"your fucked up version of ‘daddy’s little girl’ is a lie"
The "y" should have been capitalized. Obviously, if you were to present the actual slam, this would not matter.
There were a few other lines that could have been capitalized, but it didn't AT ALL take away the importance of this piece of work.
I was able to relate to a lot of it on a different level, and it had a very sad tone. When the speaker mentioned that they left evidence, I almost cried. It's funny how one line can be so hard hitting.
Overall, fantastic work! I will be reading more from you soon!




User avatar


Points: 547
Reviews: 3

Donate


I wouldn't think "impossible" was even in your vocabulary.
— Sharpay Evans, High School Musical