The Evolution of Disney Princesses

by deleted30

[Removed by YWS by request of author]

Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:20 am
foxmaster wrote a review...

Hello! I am here to leave a review.

This was very interesting, learning all about the Disney Princesses. I learned a lot now. I never really liked Princesses as a kid, but I always thought that Elsa is really Overrated. Yes, she had magic powers and is all cool. (pun not intended) but it's Anna who nearly dies (twice, *cough, cough*) and climbs a mountain and battles giant ice monsters. Although now Raya is my favorite, but IS she a princess???

Anyway, I know this was really unhelpful, but I still really enjoyed this. Also, if you could review some of my work that would be great! :)

-Foxmaster

deleted30 says...

Thank you! I'm kinda slow with my reviews right now, but I will definitely take a look at your portfolio once I get the chance. :)

Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:17 pm

Wow! Those were some interesting facts about the Disney Princesses.I didn’t know Aurora was more forgotten.Growing up,Aurora was my favorite Disney Princess because she wore pink.I used to hate Tiana because I thought she was boring and her green dress was ugly, but now I think she’s amazing.As for Disney not showing the racist things that would have happened to her in her time,I think it’s because the movie is geared towards children and they didn’t want to expose them to the negative sides of history, even though Dr.Facilier’s death could potentially give them nightmares.(It gave me nightmares.) For anyone who is calling Rapunzel a “bland Barbie doll” , you’re only looking at her appearance.You didn’t watch the movie.If you did, you’d know she’s anything but.Great read! I hope that you’ll have a nice day/night.

deleted30 says...

Thank you! :)

Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:13 pm
BeTheChange says...

I love this. Everything about it. When I started reading, I thought this would be another over sensitive rant about how Disney is the bane of young girls, or maybe a boring summary of each and every Disney princess movie. But it was neither! You showed the negative side of the princesses' portrayals, while still giving credit for their good points. And you cited sources, a feature that I always admire. Good work, and thank you for showing both sides of the story.

Edit. Sorry for accidentally submitting this twice.

deleted30 says...

Thanks a bunch! :D

Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:13 pm
BeTheChange wrote a review...

poisonouselixir wrote a review...

Great point you have there,I am the kid brought up by disney,dreamwork,and Harry Potter e.t.c XD.I heartily remember that when I was little,most all of the princess remained very little impression in my heart.In an imagnative boy’s heart,those magical stuff have always been more intriguing than the main female character.But now my affection to them starts growing,expecially Pocahontas,Rapunzel and Mulan.( I think I will definitely love Elsa too,but I have not seen Frozen yet,so that’s better not be too sure now...)
This article reminded me that those princess(whether submissive or assertive) all played the great role on the developement of Disney and animation and many people’s childhood.Even they are saw stereotyped nowdays,but I believed that they have more contented character inside.
By the way,although I am an Asian,I wasn’t interested in Mulan’s story until the movie came out,and most of people I knew were,too.So you can see how wonderful that flim is.god praise Disney!!!

deleted30 says...

Thank you! :)

Renard wrote a review...

hey!XD

I should really have reviewed this considering I have read it and loved it and asked you questions about it. XD

So here we are:

i love what you've done here as you know, but more than that, the way it is written is admirable.
great introduction.
brilliant structure

This part is my favourite, because it showcases the correct amount of detail you should put into a project like this:

'Cinderella, 1950 - Cinderella is one of, if not the, most recognizable Disney princess to date. She has been considered the “Leader of the Disney Princesses” for sometime, and is featured prominently in Disney merchandise—usually at the very front, ahead of the others.

In her film of the same name, Cinderella is shown as being slightly less passive and “dull” as Snow White, but at the same time isn’t particularly brave or outspoken. She, like Snow White before her, stumbles into most of her luck. Her animal friends and Fairy Godmother help with the challenges and adversity she faces, which makes her appear slightly more helpless and submissive than the princesses of the twenty-first century.

Still, Cinderella has aged much better than Snow White. Critical reception of her, in the years since the release of her debut film, has been mixed, but better than the reviews the character of Snow White has gotten. While Ed Perkis of Cinema Blend said the character would’ve been improved if she had been "a bit more assertive in her own story," TV Guide praised the princess, writing, “[Cinderella] seems timeless in her courage and resourcefulness” and is "a closer cousin to Belle in Beauty and the Beast than to other fairytale protagonists” (possibly implying Snow White).'

Just... perfect.

If I had to make a criticism I would have said, just add in a conclusion maybe. After you put in the bit about the future of Disney I mean. because you've got the conclusion, and then an extra bit, and then it just ends.
But I'm not goign to pick holes because I love it.

Great job, well done

~BSF

deleted30 says...

Thanks so much! :D

Anytime

PeanutPhoebe wrote a review...

Hi! So this will sort of be a review, sort of not. So I loved this. Period. It's amazing! Being a huge Disney fan, it was cool to have someone put into words what a lot of people feel about the "princesses" You obviously did A TON of amazing research for this piece. I did like your "honorable mentions" as I've always thought of Pocahontas as a Disney Princess because she was somewhat a "princess" in her tribe, being the daughter of the chief. And Mulan definitely deserves to be a princess. As for Anna and Elsa, I LOVE Frozen, and they are supposed to be coronated soon. One thing that would have made me like it more is if you put more of what you thought of the princesses in. Do you like the older or newer better? Which ones do you think has a better personality? Do you like hand-drawn or CGI better? That kind of thing. Other than that, this is awesome!!

deleted30 says...

Aw, thank you! :)

I was really close to putting my own thoughts/opinions in (I like hand-drawn animation a thousand times better than CGI, which I think is way overused nowadays), but I wanted to stay somewhat mutual and try to mostly report what the majority thinks of the princesses (though it was really tempting to give my own opinions). :D Anyway, thanks again!

Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:22 am
ForeverWarrior wrote a review...

I thought that this was an amazing new perspective on the Disney Princesses, and I absolutely loved it. I enjoyed that there was an honorable mention section for princesses that weren't really princesses, but have been looked at by so many girls. I was drawn into the piece because I have never seen an article on Disney Princesses. I liked how you described Elsa as a complex and pained character with raw emotion. And you are completely right in the fact that she is a gray character and that some characters are not black or white, but very gray.

All in all, I though it was a well rounded piece or writing and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Good job!

deleted30 says...

Thanks very much! :D

Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:52 am
TimmyJake wrote a review...

Timmy here for a short, and probably unhelpful, review!

First off, let me just clear something up with you before we delve into this piece any farther. It was not boring. Not in the slightest. I found it quite easy to read, very enjoyable, and quite humorous in many parts!

The one thing that I simply love on this piece has nothing to do with the content, but the formatting! It was so neat and wonderful, and it made everything seem so tidy and easy to follow along. I loved how you put the date there for us to see, as I have no idea when each princess was inaugurated into the Disney Hall of Princesses.

I noticed that many of your reviewers below me stated things that had to do with individual "girls" that technically weren't princesses... Well, they weren't called "Princess" in the movie, were they? Or were they? *scratches head* I haven't watched all the Disney cartoons. But Lucrezia has spoken, and since you obviously did amazing research, I will take your word for it.

I think that my favorite Disney princess has to be Rapunzel... Or Merida. Why? Because both of them aren't the "go with the flow" kind of princess. They forge their own lives, make their own paths. And I think that is awesome. That, and they have such fun spunk.

And, I like the new animation TONS better than the old, no matter how cool it is that they were hand-drawn in the "olden days". :D

Anyways, I could ramble on and on for a while, either in comments or Faving your style and topic, but it would sound redundant since I have voiced quite a bit of my opinion so far! :D

Great job writing this, Lucrezia. You are a really good writer, and you have a very well rounded writing "curve" (Is that what you call it? :/)
~Darth Timmyjake

deleted30 says...

Aw, thanks so much! :)

But Lucrezia has spoken, and since you obviously did amazing research, I will take your word for it.

YES! Finally, someone gets that I kind of know what I'm talking about! (Especially since my aunt has worked at Disney for the past 20 plus years!) :D :D :D

timmyjake says...

You are welcome! :D I know. :P You told me that your aunt worked there. :P
Love your avvie, by the way. :D

deleted30 says...

Thanks! And I slipped the my-aunt-works-for-Disney part in there for everyone else's benefit. Maybe now they'll stop acting like I don't know what I'm talking about. XD

Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:05 am
Vivian says...

Pocahontas is a princess in actuality, by the way. Great essay/article. I never really noticed a few of these details. Congrats on your good research. :) That's all I wanted to say.

deleted30 says...

GreenLight24 says...

Tiana holds a special place, but Elsa forever! :D

deleted30 says...

Yeah, Tiana's awesome, but I'm going through a serious Elsa phase right now, too. <3

Cosette4Ever says...

Anyone else think that Rapunzel's frying pan was a metaphor for something? Like since housewives and women and the original princesses are supposed to be good cooks, and a frying pan is a piece of cookware? And Rapunzel uses it as a weapon instead?

Or is it just me?

deleted30 says...

I actually had that same thought. It's a bit out there, but it is an interesting theory... *ponders whilst stroking chin dramatically* XD

Deanie says...

I love it <3

deleted30 says...

Aw, thanks so much! :D

Karzkin says...

You're forgetting Eilonwy from the Black Cauldron, and Pocahontas is totally a princess, her father is the chief.

deleted30 says...

Actually, no. Eilonwy, while she is a princess by birth, is not considered one of Disney's "official" princesses because of the film's lack of popularity. Read this: http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Eilonwy.
Pocahontas is the daughter of the chief. Not a king or queen. The princesses have to have either royal parents (kings and queens), or marry into a royal family, so therefore, Pocahontas was never given the official title of Disney princess.

Karzkin says...

You should have a more careful read of that wiki.

Here we can see both Pocahontas and Mulan listed as "official princesses"

And here we can see Eilonwy listed as under "other princesses".

So yeah, they're all princesses.

deleted30 says...

I'm not saying the Wiki's the word of God. I don't know why Pocahontas and Mulan are listed there, but according to Disney, those two aren't official princesses. They are close, though, certainly closer than Esmeralda or Megara.
(Also - how often do you see Mulan and Pocahontas including in the princess lineup? On merchandise and in the parks, et cetera? They're never included for a reason.)
I really don't want to argue about this, though. That wasn't the purpose of this piece.

Everyone agrees Pocahontas and Mulan aren't princesses. Pocahontas isn't royalty just because she's the daughter of the chief. Mulan isn't royalty, either. Ask around, this is a common fact. And they're definitely not all princesses if they aren't even royalty. Plus, this wasn't a essay about who's a princess and who's not. This was a essay about the evolution of them. And Pocahontas and Mulan were both mentioned, even if they're not considered official. I really don't see your point.

KnightTeen wrote a review...

When I saw all the likes and then noticed there was only one review, I have to admit I was a little surprised.

This is absolutely brilliant, Lucrezia. (And the avatar is amazing.)

I have made this argument many times, finding that while the movies that I loved as a little girl still appeal to me my inner feminist is absolutely disgusted at the actions of the earlier princesses.

But at the end of the day I do love the movies. Except maybe Snow White. Her voice was a little annoying.

And I kind of agree with Trudy, in wishing that this was a "Disney Women" analysis instead just a princess one, since most of my favorite women in Disney aren't technically even royal. (My favorite character is Mulan.)

I love how you ended with Frozen. I know that it's the youngest and it makes sense, but your closing sentences were brilliant.

Great Job!

deleted30 says...

Aw, thanks so much!

Yeah, I'm kicking myself a little for not making it the women of Disney. I was a little worried the article would drag if I did, and some of the Disney women aren't as recognizable as the princesses... but, I still think it would've been awesome. XD (And I love Mulan, too.)

Except maybe Snow White. Her voice was a little annoying.

Lol, you have no idea how much I agree with you. :D

KnightTeen says...

Why don't we get together sometime and write a Disney women thing? Heck, we could even analyze the Princes. That would be fun.

deleted30 says...

Yes, that would be! And analyzing the princes would be amazing. <3

KnightTeen says...

And hilarious.

Cole says...

As a Disney maniac myself, this was a wonderful read. I'd have to say my favorite Disney princess is either Belle, Aurora, or Rapunzel. Do you have a favorite?

deleted30 says...

I love basically all the princesses, especially the three you named. My very favorite right now would probably be either Rapunzel or Belle. <3

deleted30 says...

TrudiRose wrote a review...

Great piece! As a Disney fan it was enjoyable to read - unfortunately there are countless similar articles on the Internet so it wasn't anything 'new' as such, that does't mean you didn't do a good job though!

I like that you covered a fair bit on the older Princesses since most articles of this type tend to focus more on Belle (my favourite) and Ariel.

It would have been great if you could have dedicated to the 'women/girls of Disney' rather than just the princesses because then you could have included a bit more on people like Mulan and even some of the lesser known characters like Meg from Hercules and Jane from Tarzan.

Overall though it was a great and interesting read and I'd love to read something similar from you again!

deleted30 says...

Yeah, I was very close to adding Meg because I love her so much. I think doing the women of Disney would've been awesome, but the article was already six pages with just the princesses so I would've had to probably make it shorter... either that or bore half the readers to death. XD

lakegirls says...

This was great! I can't really find much to critique but I just wanted to let you know I thought it was really well written, you kept my attention the entire time and I liked how you incorporated quotes and facts from other people. Your points were amazing, I completely agree with what you said. Belle is my favorite and I think she gets across the best message for young girls, she makes reading look like something so amazing and exciting (which it is) and she shows us that love isn't about looks, it's about what's on the inside. Excellent, excellent job!

-Nicole

deleted30 says...

Aw, thank you! ^_^

That awkward moment when you jump out a window because your friend jumped out a window, then you remember that your other friend can fly.
— Rick Riordan, The Ship of the Dead