The Book Man, Chapters 15-16 (Revised)

by BluesClues

15 THE ROSES

The stars traced a pattern across the sky, but the night was as dark as ever and it seemed the sunrise would never come. Not that Christian minded; he liked sitting on the bench, talking to Minerva and listening to the splashing of the mermaid. He did not look forward to morning, when he would have to return home, shower, and get ready for work.

And see Liza Smithson, he remembered, and stand in the office lunchroom and lie to her when she talked to him about her husband’s mysterious disappearance. No, he was not looking forward to that.

But because Conrad had given him a task, he had to ask, “How long until dawn?”

Minerva looked at the stars overhead and said, “Another hour or two, at most. Why?”

“I need to talk to the Good Magic,” Christian said. “It’s important. Conrad sent me—my friend, I mean, the one I was telling you about the other night—”

“The one who’s wounded,” Minerva said. “The reason you were apologizing to the marigolds.”

“Yes, that one.” The accountant flushed, though she was not laughing at him. “I do wish you’d forget about that.”

“I will not,” she said. “I like that you apologized to the marigolds.”

“Oh,” he said, not sure he believed her. “Anyway—he needs me to tell the Good Magic that Goblin is coming back.”

Her dark eyes widened. “Back? But I thought—”

She hurried to the trellis to check the roses there. The accountant followed, feeling bewildered; the roses were as green-leafed and healthy as roses could be.

“The spell cannot have weakened so much,” she said to herself. “And yet—you did say, didn’t you, that your friend was attacked by a hellhound?”

“Yes,” said Christian.

“That is troubling,” she said. She touched the rose petals and leaves, ducked under the trellis to examine the roses climbing along its underside. “They look well enough.”

“I don’t understand,” Christian said, feeling as if he had understood nothing that was said to him since Conrad showed up at his door last night. So, as the balloon-artist had begun to do, Minerva told him the story of Celadon Park.

16 MINERVA’S TALE

Nearly two hundred years ago, the site was a dark and wild place amidst the industry of the Town. Perhaps Goblin had always dwelt there, in the tangled dimness of the trees; perhaps he was attracted by the smog and noise of the newly-built factories. Minerva did not know.

“But I suspect the latter,” she said, “for I can’t imagine the trees gave rise to him and his ilk.”

The Good Magic, she thought, had always been there, quiet and unobtrusive, occasionally guiding lost travelers through the woods by opening up paths for them or delighting children with a glimpse of a fairy. And so people spoke gaily of the Good Magic and safe passage through the forest, and it became tradition for travelers to leave gifts at the feet of a great oak tree not far from the wood’s edge. Never rare or expensive gifts; it might be only a smooth stone, a note of thanks, a lock of hair.

Goblin saw this and grew jealous.

He took over by degrees. First crows began to nest in the trees, their clever eyes following the path of travelers who had left gifts until they were out of sight and the trinkets could be stolen. Then an abundance of spider-webs appeared, strung across the path. People began to talk of giant spiders and yellow-eyed dogs, bigger than wolves, which would drag travelers away to their lairs if they caught sight of them. Mists rolled in and lay in depressions; a swamp formed in the woods’ center, where Goblin sat in power. The Gifting Tree was razed. And all things good and pleasant fled as the Good Magic weakened.

“It was the Rovers and circus folk who first fought back,” Minerva said, “for they traveled back and forth through the wood more frequently than anyone else and would not willingly relinquish it.”

They began in a small way, killing the giant spiders and hellhounds when they saw them, shooting at the crows, and laying foundations in the marsh so they could cross it. They were undeterred even by the losses they suffered in the journey through the woods.

Goblin grew angry.

But the Good Magic saw and revealed itself to them, beckoning them as allies. Together they fought long and hard against Goblin and his army, until the spiders and hellhounds were slain and the crows scattered, Goblin trapped and the swamp filled in. When they had won, Morrow, the Rover king, asked the Mayor of the Town to build a wall around the wood and a field over the marsh, for then the spell binding Goblin would strengthen and hold.

In case it would not, a Guardian was appointed whose family would ever after watch for signs of the spell’s breaking. Roses were planted to hold the Good Magic, for the battle had wearied it. It could spread throughout the park each night, but now, when it tired, it could return to the garden to sleep.

“And I was placed here and tasked with its care,” Minerva said. “It’s a great honor. Now it may be more important than ever.”

Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:18 pm
TimmyJake wrote a review...

Timmy here!

It seems as though everyone is trying to come up with alternative ways of saying "hello" to you, beginning the review. I might look for ways, but I kind of like my boring salutation. :D Tis tradition! That must be upheld. Always. Anyway, onto your review. Err... my review, but written for you, but by me. Um, yes. Pretend that made sense.

Erm, Christian? I have a teensy little thing to say to you, and you may not like it, but here goes. IreallythinkyouneedtotellLizabecauseshedeservestoknowaboutwhereherhusbandis. *takes breath* There. Its out of my system. Sometimes Christian is so amazing that I want him as my neighbor--as long as he brings his house along--but sometimes he needs a good spanking. By his YWS mom, perhaps? :D I hope he just confesses that Conrad is hurt, in the park--a place she doesn't know about. Wait. Wait. Does she know about the park? I always thought she didn't, and from what I remember of the book so far, I don't recall anything saying that she did know about it, but more hints that said she didn't. Hmm.. I guess if she did know, she would know where right to go if Conrad didn't come home. So she must have no idea.

Hmph. Conrad, not telling your own wife. Your YWS mom needs to give you a spanking, too.

“I like that you apologized to the marigolds.”

I thought that the part where Christian apologized to the marigolds was powerful, as well. And the fact that Minerva brings it up only promotes it further. That he is a compassionate and caring person--even to flowers that are going to wilt and die soon, anyway. You never skip a chance to further his character, and that just makes him so much more realistic and loveable.

No quoting here, and this isn't really a nitpick, but more a stylistic preference--one you can ignore, if you like. :)

I think in their dialogue, and the story throughout, you like to use the en-dash. That is what it's called, right? I have a HUGE book on English Grammar(Bleh) <.< in my room right now, and I have been reading it (sorta). But I think I forgot what its name was. Anyway, this thingy: -- Erm, it changes in Mic Word, but you get the gist of what I mean.

I love, love using those things when writing my work. I like them more than commas, even periods. They seem to spring up everywhere, almost like weeds. But I think that they can become a distraction in your work because people are not used to the in abundance. Perhaps you could weed a few of them out to make them a little more spaced out? As much as I love their usage, and how you use them, I think they were just a little bit overdone. The slightest amount.

That is all I have for nitpicks. I loved the way you told the story--just like when Conrad was telling his! It works out really well, because it is still written like a story, like she is telling it, but you aren't throwing humongous chunks of dialogue in there, acting like its completely normal. Which it may be, but looks ugly and doesn't work too well. As it is, your way of storytelling is just perfect. Just like everything else in here. :)

Since I was recently told by you that you are not finished adding chapters to your book, I will not say any numbers, or try to guess how many I have left. But as it is, I hope you write many more. Because this is too much fun to read. :)

~Darth Timmyjake

BluesClues says...

Since I was recently told by you that you are not finished adding chapters to your book, I will not say any numbers, or try to guess how many I have left.

Heh heh.

Anyway, I'll probably delete some of the em dashes in the final stages of editing, but that'll be after I'm sure the plot and characters are completely solid. Then I can turn my attention to little nitpicks like that and spots with weird wording or whatever.

Deanie wrote a review...

Greetings (I'm going to try and think of a different way of saying hello each time.)

I love this chapter <3 First you had a great way of getting us to know a few small details when it comes to Christian without getting into backstory by saying what he said, and also just telling us what he didn't say. I thought it was genius. Added to the fact that Christian, the book lover, fell in love with a statue. It seems befitting for a reader to fall in love with someone who seems more like they've popped out the pages of a mystical book themselves, doesn't it? I love the idea and I think it's really creative. Keep at them!

What I thought would've been a bit nicer was to show a bit more of what Christian was thinking when he realized Minerva was a statue. I thought he would be a bit more surprised, or upset or just thinking it was now another thing he understood about her? I wanted a bit more there, because it was a pretty big discovery and it fell a little short of your usual glamour factor. Just add a bit more emotionally in there.

I did like the emotion when he started panicking about Minerva not coming to life. I wondered if she was just shy or embarrassed or something. I'm looking forwards to finding out.

Deanie x

Messenger wrote a review...

Messenger back for once last time! I am super-duper excited to see the garden awake. Ever since Christian entered I was hoping we would see it, and then when the guard came I was afraid we'd miss the show, but thankfully Christian acted rightly!!!! So let's watch this spectacular occasion! By the way your chapter 26 title just gets e so excited!

He thought he heard the far-off scrape and clang of the gate closing, imagined the rasp of the padlock; still he waited.

Even though it is grammatically correct, this sentence feels awkward. I would suggest changing the semi-colon to a period and putting a "but" in from of the word "still" It would just feel better.

The fairy lights winked on overhead, one at a time at first as if waking up reluctantly on a Sunday morning, and then faster and faster until they zipped into being. The gas lamps followed, fading on but burning steadily once they were lit. All of it happened on its own; [/quote[
For some reason I imagined the Disney intro music playing, you know when the castle appears and all of that good stuff!

But she did not move.

Uh-uh . . .she better not be playing a trick on him, and for some reason I don't think she is.

Oh man this is a heart-racing, pulse-pounding ending! I think things will quickly escalate here! Something is definitely wrong. I am rushing to the next chapter quickly Blue, you got me hooooked!!!

~Messenger

Deanie says...

You did three reviews on the same chapter! Whoa O.o

Messenger says...

no I did one for EACH chapter silly

Messenger wrote a review...

And I'm back! My team needs more points and I wouldn't be getting very many for the amount of stuff I wrote so yeah . . . .hey at least I have a little different introduction this time! :D

Even the people in this section of the park were quiet, occupied with reading or sketching, or simply lying on their backs and watching the leaves move in the breeze. In the clearing, scads of children ran about, flying kites with their parents or chasing after balls and Frisbees, but compared to the crowds of the Fair it was nothing.

I jut noticed something; maybe you made a comment about the size of the park earlier, but if so I can't remember it. I actually really have no clue at all how big it is. Could you please tell me?Oh and by the way auto-correct doesn't think that "frisbees" is a word :P

Christian made his way to the gardens to wait for darkness. Even in the sunlight, the trees here seemed darker and quieter than the woods across the clearing. The fairy lights were invisible, the gas lamps off; but every pedestal held a statue. The sight of so many figures was daunting where there were normally empty slabs of marble or stone. Christian’s skin prickled as he thought he saw a head turn, a fist close—but when he looked again, he saw sculptures frozen in place.

This place seems amazing! I'd love to visit it . just not at this moment when danger is lurking about and hellhounds are wandering about :P

I just had a thought as I finished chapter 25. Can the stone people be injured during the day? Like could Minerva be be-headed? O_O It seems that it would stand to reason. I can't wait for the next chapter to finally see how the garden wakes up!

~Messenger

Messenger wrote a review...

Messenger here once again!Man I have the same intro every time, I really ought to work on that :P But that would be cheating if I made it longer and got more points right? Anyway yeah i am dying of curiosity here so let's get started.

“Do you read much?

Bahahahahahahahahaha. Has this man no eyes? LOOK AT THE HOUSE DUDE!!!

“Indeed,” Christian said again, and he watched Mr. Catcher stroll off for an evening in the park.

"Stroll" should be 'strolled'.

So after that first chapter I was kind of disappointed. I thought this chapter would be running right behind the last one I read, but apparently that is not to be the case. I think you made the last chapter a little cliff-hangerish if it wasn't go to be a cliff-hanger :P
Also, I was kind of upset because Mr. Catcher was kind of annoying and boring to read about. Hopefully he has some use in this story because if not this chapter just doesn't feel necessary at all.

Each evening for several days, it went this way: Christian arrived home at six, ate dinner, and went across the street to open the balloon-cart. He always brought a book with him, expecting to read between customers, but there was no between. From the time he opened the cart until Celadon Park closed, he had a steady stream of people visiting him—not just children, but adults who had seen him with Conrad on Saturdays and knew or guessed that he lived in the Book House. Questions about Conrad he answered again and again with tales of an illness incapacitating but not life-threatening; questions about himself were more difficult. He was not used to telling his life story, not used to people even asking about it. He never knew how much to say.

You wrote all of that but then you don't say if he went into the park or not. I thought he was going to to read to Minerva, but you make no comment of them reading together, or of Minerva's delight at seeing a new book every night Like Christian said he would bring.
I'll review the rest of this chapter in a little bit but i need more points and I won't be getting them in just one review so see you soon!

~Messenger

lace182 wrote a review...

This is the second section of the 'Book Man' that I will review. I have not read all of it but do enjoy it.

I like the way you weave your unusual characters into daily activities, even odd activities like working in a balloon cart. You no doubt know you can write so I won't say much about your style but instead I will give you my overall impressions and feelings.

I think you nailed the questioning old man. That is what they are like. I smiled a few times at Christian's non answers. Well done. You definitely had me interested there.

I lost interest at the long descriptions that didn't add to the story or confused it.

The long section regarding the park and the statues was not clear for me. On the one hand it was too vague and on the other it was too long. What I mean is, you can't add more words to fix this. I would like you to consider what you describe more carefully.

In the light of the early evening, the wood was filled with a friendly silence, all smooth grey pillars and greenish-gold canopy that dappled the grass below with sunlight.
Where are the pillars. What are they holding if anything? Are they the trees? A greenish-gold canopy of overhanging trees in a woods? That sounds more like a path with trees overhanging it to me. I mean, how big can a woods be in a city? How big is this place? What kind of paths does it have and how much lawn? Is the lawn cut, long, dead, green? You have people lying about and you have woods. Where is which?

I can't say I was confused. It came off like esoteric poetry, which isn't the voice for the rest of your work. Why start with it here? Given the level of your writing skill you can be more selective about your descriptions and give a better mental scene. Doing that would keep me interested throughout.

I like your story. I like your characters and I especially like the interaction of your characters. Thanks for your submission.

Iggy wrote a review...

WAIT WHAT TRUTH WHAT ARE YOU SAYING

Ahem.

That was my reaction before I even started reading. >_>

Now read I shall.

Ahh, so that's what happens to them during the day! I thought they all went into the Otherworld. It's interesting to know how oblivious the humans are during the day, with the fact that the statues they stand by are magical and do come to life every night. Maybe it's a good thing they don't know...

ACK NO Minerva! Wake up! Why isn't she waking up?! D: but no, this is perfect. Maybe it is Goblin doing this, or OMG, what if it's Morrow or the fairies? What if they noticed how much he was falling for her, and they figured that turning her into a permanent statue and blaming it on Goblin would push him to go into the Otherworld and find Morrow? Because that is genius and would work perfectly and please tell me that is your plan.

I am curious to know why Christian ran back to the Book House. Please tell me he isn't going to research or get a book to look information up in or something. That is totally something he would do, but seriously, Christian? How will that work? xD I am a bit disappointed in him. He's too entranced with this girl; it's like Conrad is second when it comes to her. It's making me mad D:<

Can't wait to read more <3

BluesClues says...

<33333 UGH I want to tell you all about the truth but it will have to wait until you get to that point in the story...but I promise that he didn't run home to consult a book.

Iggy says...

NO SPOILERS

BluesClues says...

I KNOW I'M SORRY. It's so hard sometimes but I am really trying. But it's so hard because I'm so excited UGH.

It is better to take what does not belong to you than to let it lie around neglected.