z

Young Writers Society



Click

by Deadman


Click, nope not that one.

Maybe I shouldn't be doing this.

Maybe I should try again.

Maybe I should find reason.

~

Click, not this one either.

Is it worth it to stay?

Is it really a better place?

Is it really going to get better?

~

Click, drat nor is it this one.

What went wrong?

What happened to me?

What happened to everyone?

~

Click, only two more tries I suppose.

Should I just disappear never to return?

Should I just fade into nothing?

Should I just let everyone be happy?

~

Click, ah, so it is the next one.

If I go, everyone will be happier.

If I go no one will notice.

If I go, then maybe I can atone, for my mistakes.

~

Click

~

~

Okay here it is with a few edits and the alternate ending.


Click, nope not that one.

Maybe I shouldn't be doing this.

Maybe I should try again.

Maybe I should find reason.

~

Click, Not this one either.

Is it worth it to stay?

Is it really a better place?

Is it really going to get better?

~

Click, drat nor is it this one.

What went wrong?

What happened to me?

What happened to everyone?

~

Click, only two more tries I suppose.

Should I just disappear never to return?

Should I just vanish into the darkness?

Should I just let everyone be happy?

~

Click, ah, so it is the next one.

If I go, everyone will be happier.

If I go no one will notice.

If I go, then maybe I can atone, for my mistakes.

~

Click, BAM!

That is the end I wanted.

That is what will make everyone happy.

That is my final goodbye.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
933 Reviews


Points: 4261
Reviews: 933

Donate
Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:18 am
Iggy wrote a review...



Hello Deadman!

From the first stanza, I could tell this was about a person with a gun, playing their own version of Russian Roulette, since it took so many clicks to finally reach that one bullet. And since this is about suicide and therefore a triggering topic, I ask that you please rate this 16+, so people know what they are getting into.

First off, I did not like the repetition of commentary after each unsuccessful click. After the first two, it got tedious. I mean, the reader gets it. The clicks signify an empty chamber, so that means the individual will be mad and annoyed for not being dead yet. You don't have to repeat it every time. Saying it twice gets the message across and holds that message until the click turns into a bam and the person is dead.

Second, I didn't like the last stanza. I mean, the bullet went through his/her brain, so of course, there is no afterthought. We already know that the person is happy that they are dead, so there really isn't any need to state anything else. We know that they died happily, and that it was their final goodbye. I suggest you just end the poem with a simple click and bam. It leaves a greater impact and resonance than the needless explanation. So I definitely like the ending of the first poem versus the second.

The ~ for every stanza break is distracting. I suggest removing them, but that's up to you. I had to look again to see that it was two different poems. You should use the ~ for the poem break, between the two of them, not for every stanza.

There are so many questions asked in the stanzas. They too are a bit distracting. I can understand that some of them are necessary, to keep the pace and flow, especially the grouped ones, but I suggest that next time you focus on the person. Why are they killing themselves? I don't want to be asked questions, I want to know the reason(s) behind them committing suicide. I want to know their pain, the reason for their tears, the thoughts that push them to pull the trigger again and again until it works.

Emotion. Where is the emotion? I feel some emotion, like sadness and despair, but surely there must be some doubt in there. Especially since there was so many chances for him/her to back out, to put the gun down and walk away. Don't they hesitate at all? Think, "Do I really want to do this?" Anything similar to that?

Finally, imagery. There isn't enough of it, or any at all, and a poem thrives off of imagery. It's one of the most important factors in a poem. It is the strength behind the words, the impact it's supposed to leave the reader with. I know that it would've been hard to weave some imagery into this, but I think you can do it if you tried hard enough, and try you should. It would definitely strengthen the poem.

Overall, I think this was a good poem. The emotion behind it was powerful. It was a unique idea, one I have never seen before, and it was done with a good flow, albeit choppy at some points. The overall emotion was conveyed and the impact was strong and powerful and the ending leaves the reader with a lot to think about. Nice work. :)




User avatar


Points: 665
Reviews: 2

Donate
Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:00 am
View Likes
Ianhammond98 says...



I find this poem to be actually quite good. I like the structure you used and the fact you included an alternate ending. It's a little on the downer side, but I appreciate that. Many people probably have this same way of thinking and I just want to say thanks for giving me a good poem to read!




User avatar
396 Reviews


Points: 27
Reviews: 396

Donate
Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:57 pm
View Likes
Pompadour wrote a review...



Heya Deadman! Pompadour here for a quick review! Lemme skim over the technicalities first before I move on to the actual review!

Technical


Maybe I should find a reason.


There should be an "a" before "reason."


Click, Not this one either.


OK, so if you're trying to convey the fact that the "click" is a sound, then I suggest you italicize it. Also, if the "N" in "Not" is going to stay capital, I suggest you replace the comma with a period. The result would look something like this:

Click. Not this one either.


Is it really a better place?

Is it really going to get better?


This might seem super nit-picky, but the fact that you used the word "better" twice kinda threw me off. Also, in the first line, you ask "is this a better place?" A better place than what? You're quite ambiguous here, so clarify the comparison. The reader doesn't know what you're trying to say, so tell them.


Click, drat nor is it this one.

What went wrong?

What happened to me?

What happened to everyone?


This isn't a nit-pick but I liked how you build the idea up with each line. You start with a problem, you move on to wonder if it was you or if it was the world. The pendulum swings higher, you're climbing the scale, going from bigger to small. I like that. Have a thumbs up over here!


Should I just disappear never to return?

Should I just fade into nothing?


You're repeating yourself. It's the same idea, only structured differently, and with a different wording.



OK, that's it for the technicalities. I noticed you said in the summary that you wrote this on a whim, so I apologize if I was harsh in any way. It was really, really good for a spur of the moment thing, and if you develop the idea you could turn this into something amazing! The idea is original, albeit a little vague. What's "clicking"? Is it a camera? If so, then you could explore the imagery keeping that particular stance in mind. Or is it a remote? Are you flicking through the channels, going forwards and backwards? Are you rewinding past events? Think about it.

I hope to see more of your work up soon, and I hope this review helped.

Keep up the great work! Keep writing!

Cheers,

~Pompadour




Deadman says...


Thanks! That helped, and You pointed out several things I should have payed more attention to. As to what the clicking is, that takes a little thinking on the readers part. If you can't already tell the person in the poem wants to disappear correct? He sounds upset and depressed. What goes click, and what has six chances? It's a revolver. The italics are a great idea, I really should have used those. Duh! Gah sometimes I overlook simple things. Thanks for the review. I"m off to do some edits.



Deadman says...


Oh, and I had an alternative ending with it. I'm tempted to add it, maybe at the bottom. Eh why not, it might clear things up.




So, please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install a lovely bookcase on the wall.
— Roald Dahl