z

Young Writers Society



The Birds Flee

by Lydia1995


A haiku - I'm not sure what I think of it really, would appreciate thoughts!

Thanks!

A growing rumble,

The frills of smoke entwining.

Birds take to the sky


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
23 Reviews


Points: 294
Reviews: 23

Donate
Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:03 am
thomasmkraus wrote a review...



I really like this. It's only three lines, but it feels like there is so much depth to it. I can really see these images in my head, and I enjoyed reading it. I'm a little unsure of the setting of this haiku, but I think that's the best part. I don't need to know. It's so interpretable that you don't need any extra information. It's just there, existing, and that's all that matters!

Good job!
:)




User avatar
333 Reviews


Points: 189
Reviews: 333

Donate
Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:58 pm
retrodisco666 says...



Hey.


I like the concept behind it and i think that you have a really good idea, my issue is with the word entwining. I think something like erupting or something with a more escapist notion behind it would make it stand out more. Hope this helps!

~Retro




Random avatar

Points: 380
Reviews: 1

Donate
Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:45 pm
alonush97 says...



finally! another haiku! i write them myself and yours is amazing. the use of the element air is powerful. i seriously can hear the wind in the trees. generally i adore it! keep on the writing.




User avatar
84 Reviews


Points: 1148
Reviews: 84

Donate
Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:08 pm
briggsy1996 wrote a review...



Hey, this was really nice!
As I read the first line, I was thinking along the lines of earthquakes, a hungry person… and then the second line left me confused because "rumble" and "frills" are such contrasting words that I was curios to know what was occurring. And then you finish the Haiku beautifully with the image of birds in flight, and the picture becomes really clear!
I love Haikus because they illustrate something really meaningful in a minimal way, and you've done that here.
Awesome work, and happy writing :)
-Briggsy




Lydia1995 says...


Thank you, glad you liked it! :)



User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 1214
Reviews: 10

Donate
Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:48 pm
Kyana wrote a review...



Kya here for a review!

Hmm, it's interesting, albeit a bit short. ( ;) ) I think I get a good picture of what is happening, even with the length. Even though you give the impression of what's going on, the reader still gets to use some imagination.

The frills of smoke entwining.

I really like this line.

The only thing I'd tell you about grammar is that I believe the first letter of each line is capitalized.




Lydia1995 says...


Thanks for your comments! It's a haiku so it's restricted to 5-7-5 which is part of the challenge but I'm glad you still got a good picture :)
Thank's for picking me up on the grammar - have edited :)




I think I have thankfully avoided being quoted.
— Lavvie