The Cat's Joy

by WritingWolf

Joy flowing from his mouth.
As he hides in his little nook,
His drool comes in routh.

As it gathers below his mouth
How adorable this kitty looks,
Joy flowing from his mouth.

No chance of a drouth,
It flows like a brook.
His drool comes in routh.

He is full of love, but rather uncouth.
But if I cared I would surely be a schnook.
Joy flowing from his mouth.

To see him so happy without this behaviour is selcouth.
His happiness isn't so good for my books.
His drool comes in routh.

Warmth on my leg where it lands, like a wind from the south.
My clothing is soaked in this gook.
Joy flowing from his mouth,
His drool comes in routh.

StoneHeart wrote a review...

. . . Hey Wolf, saw this here posted in the team forum, so I thought I'd drop by and give you a bit of feedback. So, Black here to review.

Warning: Poetry is NOT my strong point (all of my poetry sucks). So keep a VERY open mind when reading this review, don't take anything as good advice unless you COMPLETELY agree with it -even then, get a second opinion.

What did I like about this piece? I like the fact that, for once, someone has written something that ISN'T about a cute little pooch, and is instead about a much more related-to-me; drooling cat. I find that, for a change, actually amusing. Your word use is quite remarkable too. Selcouth . . . routh . . . gook . . . schnook. Very spectacular, they add to the idea of a drooling cat very well and definitely add to the amusement.

Besides the new words not rhyming incredibly well with your real words (XD) you really did a pretty decent job. It's just a fun little poem so it's okay to for it to make NO sense at all. Good job in doing that, I can't really figure out much more than the fact that there's a drooling cat in it -which I'm good with.

Your 'rhyming style' is very new to me.

X
Y
X

X
Y
X

X
Y
X

Very spectacular, to be sure, but I must note that right here:

He is full of love, but rather uncouth.
Joy flowing from his mouth.

While all of your rhyming words are actually words, "Uncouth" and "Mouth" do not rhyme anymore than Cat and Dome. Meaning; they don't. Fixittttt. If you want to :P

Anyway. very interesting piece; not sure what kind of review you were expecting, but the amount of help I have supplied is, I am sure, quite minimal.

Keep writing and GL

~Black~

WritingWolf says...

Thanks for the review :)

WallFlower wrote a review...

I was suppressing giggles through that whole thing :)

I love poems written in the villanelle style. As far as I can tell you got the formatting right, and I couldn't find any grammatical mistakes.

You also taught me a new word- selcouth. I bet it was difficult to find so many words ending in -outh. :)

This is a great villanelle. Very true as well. :P

Keep writing and making people laugh! :D

~WallFlower

Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:28 pm
eldEr wrote a review...

Isha here to review as requested! Sorry for the little delay in getting here.

First of all: Heaven help me, I think this is the first time I've read a poem about a cat's drool. Let alone a metric poem. It just doesn't sound like something I should enjoy? But I did enjoy this, so congratulations, you have accomplished something great. :P

Now, I know a thing or two about metric poetry, but not enough to give you precise nitpicks on metric feet and whatnot. However, I found that the last couple stanzas of this poem totally broke up the flow and the structure of the entire piece, and my enjoyment was kind of thrown to the wolves.

The first three stanzas are excellent. I like the abab rhyme pattern, and all seems to be well with it.

And then you hit stanza four, and what looks like a semi-regularly-occurring iambic trimeter (like I said, I'm not quite experienced enough with metric poetry to be able to tell for sure, but I took a shot!) turns into... not anything even similar to a trimeter. Your stanzas stop following any meter patterns whatsoever, and it totally messes with the flow. The first example of this is this line in stanza four:

He is full of love, but rather uncouth.

Suddenly you've got... ten syllables. That's a pentameter. And the stanza ends with the same line as the rest of the poem, with the same number of syllables and iambic feet, and it totally, totally messes with the flow.

That's really the only thing I have to say for this. The last three stanzas completely destroy the awesome flow of the first three, and whereas it's fine to change patterns partway through a metric poem, it's slightly less okay to change patterns without following a different pattern.

Otherwise, though, I really did enjoy the piece. :P Very creative, quite well done for the most part.

Keep writing,
~Ish

WritingWolf says...

O.O Uhh.. Trimeter? Pentameter? Metric? Apparently the first half of this poem achieved something I hadn't been aiming for. I will have to do some research and figure out what it is you said I did. :)
Thanks for the review! :D

Hey there Writing Wolf!
This is a very strange and kind of cute little poem. It seems quite happy and fairy tale like very good for humour poems!
You seem to find very good words that rhyme with mouth while still making sure they make sense! It does fulfil all the requirements for a villanelle.

I quite like the metaphor "Joy flowing from his mouth" but you do repeat it a lot more than needed. As Dreamer said below it does get kind of boring. Once or twice is enough.
Besides that nothing much else wrong! Overall, a pretty cute poem but could need some polishing.

WritingWolf says...

Thanks

Dreamer84 wrote a review...

I like it because i like the way you see him yet we have a problem. :/ I think you need different word choice because I don't like the way you kept repeating "mouth" and "routh" all the time in almost every section. it kinda got boring and a little annoying to see those words over and over again. my advice to is to look into a bigger word variety. try the synonyms in the dictionary and theasourous. I have been doing that in my writing and I swear it gives it a whole new voice and interest :) good luck and happy searching -/

WritingWolf says...

I repeated "mouth" and "routh" because they were at the end of the lines I was supposed to repeat. Remember, this is a villanelle. The first and last lines of the first stanza are supposed to be repeated throughout the entire poem.

'Hush, hush!' I whispered; 'people can have many cousins and of all sorts, Miss Cathy, without being any the worse for it; only they needn't keep their company, if they be disagreeable and bad.
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights