z

Young Writers Society



Isn't it a game?

by GreenTulip


It’s all the same..snow and ice,
playing it’s deadly winter games.

Glistening out in the lane,
snow covered ice lines the hidden lawns.
As ice greets with the coming dawn.
Isn’t it all but a game?

Water droplets freeze at the slightest touch,
but melts at the sun’s first embrace.

Snowflakes fall in the air with a flourish,
Dancing about with a small twirl,
each dance individually special.

Frozen rain falls like angered tears from those above,
pelting the heads of all of those who walk below.

Isn’t it all but a game,
with snow and ice glistening out in the lane?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1007 Reviews


Points: 13831
Reviews: 1007

Donate
Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:23 pm
TimmyJake wrote a review...



Timmy here for a quick review!!(I always say quick, but it always turns into a long one. xD)

A poem about snow. It might seem like everyone is doing them, and its just you copycatting the last guys poem, but with this one.... It is definitely unique, and you have your own words and style you put into it that makes it YOUR creation.

Nitpicks

snow covered ice lines the hidden lawns.
As ice greets with the coming dawn. ---These two lines rhyme, but none of the others do.


Water droplets freeze at the slightest touch,
but melts at the sun’s first embrace. ----- I think you could cut out the droplets, and this line seems a bit contradictory, especially since you are talking about frozen rain and snow, and then you talk about normal rain.


Snowflakes fall in the air with a flourish, ----I think something like through would work better there


Dancing about with a small twirl, ---That would be the wind at work there, right? State that too. I think it is pretty essential to it, especially because of the wreckage on snowstorm and then the wind can do. I know. I had no power for three days just last week because of that. :D


Isn’t it all but a game,
with snow and ice glistening out in the lane? ---You have a distinct flow, with each stanza being broken up in a rhythm. First stanza: two lines. Second stanza: Four lines. And so on... But this one is out of sequence.


Favorites and Style

As I said before, this is very unique, and I love it! :D Some winter games can be deadly! Especially when you have your crazy people out there driving like its the middle of summer. People are always in the ditch in the wintertime. :D

My favorite part:

Frozen rain falls like angered tears from those above,
pelting the heads of all of those who walk below. ---Beautiful, truly! I love your descriptions there! :D


So that is all I have for you on this poem. Great job! Again. Keep writing!
~Timmyjake




User avatar
19 Reviews


Points: 255
Reviews: 19

Donate
Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:22 am
Scoeri wrote a review...



This is pretty darn good. I love the rhyming. It's something you don't see too often here. It's all unstructured freeform. Anyway, on the other hand, although I'm glad that you're rhyming, I feel as though it could use a bit more work, and you should try to keep the scheme going a bit more. Also I feel as though your writing could use a bit more structure. It's kinda all over the place. Finally, even though your writing is good, your purpose is a little muddled. Is it all a game? If so, then why? And so on so forth. Anyway, that's all I have for now, so keep up the good work, and fare thee well!

~Scoeri




User avatar
179 Reviews


Points: 22652
Reviews: 179

Donate
Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:13 pm
Magenta wrote a review...



Hello GreenTulip! Happy Valentine's Day too! I'm here to write you a quick review. I hope you are enjoying this chilly Valentine's day. Any special someone's? I would agree with you about this winter weather. Anyway, I have some comments and suggestions. ;)

"It’s all the same..snow and ice," If this is an ellipsis, I would suggest adding the traditional third period so that is a proper one.

"playing it’s deadly winter games." I would just tell you to take out the apostrophe that you've placed in the word,"it's". You only need one in the contraction when you are shortening,"it is".

"Glistening out in the lane,
snow covered ice lines the hidden lawns.
As ice greets with the coming dawn.
Isn’t it all but a game?"

I like the question that you have at the end and the way that you worded. Though, I would suggest using a different word than ice each time. Maybe crystals, diamonds, frost, icicles?

"Water droplets freeze at the slightest touch,
but melts at the sun’s first embrace."

I think that this would be my favorite stanza/lines because of the way that you compared the brisk weather with the warmth of the sun. It was a lovely stanza.

"Snowflakes fall in the air with a flourish,
Dancing about with a small twirl,
each dance individually special."

I feel like the last line repeats the same word. Individually special? It sounds a bit strange, but that might just be me. I do think, though, that they mean the same thing. I would also consider changing the word "fall" to "float" or "fly". Although I do see what you mean with the serenity of falling snow.

"Isn’t it all but a game,
with snow and ice glistening out in the lane?"

I like the repetition of the question that you have here. I, for some reason, think that you could switch the words "snow" and "ice".

Other than that, I think that you have a lovely poem. Great job with it and keep on writing. ;)

~ Magenta





May you never steal, lie, or cheat. But if you must steal, then steal away my sorrows. And if you must lie, then lie with me all the nights of your life. And if you must cheat, then please, cheat death.
— An Unknown Bride, Leap Year