z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Twenty

by Snowery


Author's Note: Hey guys! :) So this is something that actually happened when I was 15 and for some reason I thought I should turn it into a short story. The ending was kind of rushed and condensed into a small space of time because I wrote it at about 12:45am and didn't want to fall asleep and start drooling on my computer so forgive me :)Just a light read for you all :)

Height: 167cm. Weight: 56kg. Furiously I punch the numbers into the BMI calculator. An anxious ten seconds go by before two digits appear on the screen, two and zero. Twenty! I grab my health text book and check to see what range I fit in.

Eighteen to twenty-four: healthy.

Healthy? Ha! Twenty is smack bang in the middle of the healthy range! I must be one of the fittest kids in my year level. I mentally kicked myself for being so worried about the BMI exercise before coming to health class. I grin and look over to my friend Emily.

“So, how did you go?” I ask smugly.

“I got thirteen, apparently I'm very underweight,” she replied. How about you?”

“Twenty,” I say. “I'm healthy.” Feeling somewhat confident I go over to a group of friends sitting close by. “So, how'd you all go?”

“I got ten” gushed Minnie.

“Twelve,” said Mary.

“Thirteen,” added Sarina.

I looked at them all dumbfounded, why was everyone so underweight? Why wasn't I like them? Maybe I was big boned? I knew I should have taken off my watch and glasses as well as my jumper.

“What's yours Katie?” asked Minnie.

“I...uh...” I could almost feel myself stumbling backwards wanting to get away from these petite people whom I dwarfed. “Twenty,” I mumbled before rushing off. I sat back in my seat feeling deflated. People were talking amongst each other, sharing their BMIs and for some reason I felt as if I could hear them loud and clear.

“Ten,”

“Eleven,”

“Fourteen,”

“Twelve,”

I wanted to shrink away and crawl under a rock but I knew I couldn't because I was so big. Didn't anyone get a twenty? Or at least a nineteen? Then out of the corner of my eye I spot Carrie chatting to her friends. Carrie's about my size, I'm sure she got something similar to me. Slowly and hesitantly I walked over to her.

“Hey Carrie!” I say with a smile.

“Hey Katie! How'd you go with your BMI?”

“I uh... got a twenty,” I can almost feel my eyelid twitching in trepidation.

“Oh,” she says before casting her eyes down. Is she nervous? Did she get the same as me? Or better still, higher than me? I hold my breath and cross my fingers and toes.

“I got 17,” she finally says looking up at me. In her eyes I almost see pity? Heavy hearted I go to sit back down in my chair and block out the world as the teacher rambles on about how important it is to have a good BMI and be healthy. All I can think is, I got twenty. I'm fat.

Fat.

“Katie,” calls a distant voice.

Fat.

“Katie!”

Fat.

“Katie, get up! It's lunch time.”

I look up to see Emily standing impatiently waiting for me. I grab my things and follow her out to lunch.

I spend most of lunch wondering if I should eat my sandwich or skip lunch altogether while Emily chatted to some of our other friends. I was still pondering on my sandwich's impending fate when the bell finally rang signalling the end of lunch. Hurriedly, without thinking I stuff the sandwich into my mouth before realising, that's probably another kilo. I shake my head disappointedly thinking another kilo is something that I just can't afford.

***

I lay on my bed feeling guilty. I wasn't able to refuse my dinner, especially my mum's beautiful lasagne which I demolished with barely a second thought. I'm just not made for dieting, I love food far to much. I grew up in a family that ADORED food. I'm probably never going to lose twelve kilos. I stand and look in the mirror. I never thought I looked fat before, and had always been happy with myself. How can I be twenty! Twenty health-. Healthy. The guide had said that twenty was healthy and I am twenty. So why on Earth do I feel bad about myself? I almost wanted to laugh hysterically.

Oh crazy, crazy world! Just because I am surrounded by toothpicks it doesn't mean that I'm a rolling pin! Them being underweight doesn't make me overweight. I AM HEALTHY. I am happy with my weight. I put on a big, bright smile. So what if I feel like a lumbering giant around my friends? I am completely, 100% happy with how I look.

Though maybe I could still stand to lose a couple of kilos.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
27 Reviews


Points: 242
Reviews: 27

Donate
Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:37 pm
Bol wrote a review...



Wow, nice story.
Okay, so first off I love this because its so relatable and just the kind of stuff I went through. I grew up in Singapore and in school it's a constant struggle to maintain a social image. Pretend to others that you're like them, you can play football, soccer, whatever, just as well as them, or run as fast as them, weigh as little as them and grow as tall as them. Everything's a competition, and if you lost out you're dropped from the 'cool' clique. Most of my teen years was a struggle to maintain myself and keep from all that delicious, delicious chocolate.
Besides that, you get a very real feel of this protagonist, their internal struggle, their conflicting emotions. On one hand, she knows deep down she's healthy, but on the other she wants to keep up with her friends and be underweight. And I love the last line: "Though maybe I could still stand to lose a couple of kilos." Really witty, I like.
You wrote this well, especially the part where she compares her BMI to Carrie. You get the feel of her desperation, her need for someone to have a higher BMI than her to give her confidence that much needed push, then the sadness when she's proven wrong. And the way the word 'fat' is repeated is really striking.
Nice story, I like it like it like it. Keep writing.




Silverlock says...


Hey Bol! Thank you for reviewing!
Nice to see a Sinaporean, I'm half Singaporean but grew up in Australia :) I'm glad you liked my story! Thanks again :)



User avatar
187 Reviews


Points: 13001
Reviews: 187

Donate
Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:00 am
PeanutPhoebe wrote a review...



PeanutPhoebe, here for a review! Hey, this was great! Loved the realisticness (if that's a word, lol:) of this. I also come from a foodie family, but I've honestly always felt the opposite way. I'm 14 and 90-100 lbs., and sometimes I feel as if I need to GAIN some weight... But like you, after I think about it, I'm like you, I'm happy with how I look, and am perfectly healthy. Anyway, I didn't find any grammatical errors or typos in this. I have no complaints. Great job, and keep writing! :)




Silverlock says...


Hey Peanut! Thanks for your review :) Nice to meet another foodie! Yeah image is something we all struggle with even though we're perfectly fine.



User avatar


Points: 790
Reviews: 1

Donate
Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:26 am
Cerez wrote a review...



Ahh, hello! Just a couple of things I'd like to point out about BMI to begin with

- BMI is quite unreliable as a measure of healthiness as one of the previous members has already mentioned, although generally it tends to do the trick, it's not something that people should rely on solely, especially not a health professional or a sports trainer. I think teachers might stress on this idea as well if this were discussed in a class, although I can't be sure about that
.
- The second thing I want to point out is that it's statistically impossible for SO many people to have ridiculously low BMIs (such as under 14). To be diagnosed with an eating disorder, a BMI of 15 is one of the markers; for someone to have BMIs drastically under that (10, 11, 12, 13) is ... well, that would show severe malnutrition and might possibly inflict serious health consequences on a person. It might really even lead to them being confined to bed and insitutionalised. I think a person with a BMI that low would definitely be a cause for concern and so many of them in one classroom is hard for me to believe. Besides, I doubt anyone with a BMI that low would be absolutely functional. I'd definitely suggest raising those numbers to around the 16-17 mark to emphasise on your protagonist's feelings, or perhaps raising your protagonist's BMI to higher in the healthy range. Say around 22 or 23?

Of course, it also depends on the age of the characters. For children under 10, BMI functions differently (16-19 is healthy, 21 is overweight, 25 is obese? Something like that, I apologise for the vagueness lol). However considering the healthy range for these children is between 18 and 24, I'd assume they're pubescent/post-pubescent/have reached their total height.

- I really enjoyed the story overall! Even though I think the theme has been done quite a lot, I think how your character handled it and brushed it off is unique and sends out this really positive message without getting into the more sordid aspects of eating disorders, so kudos to you on that c:. I was really glad to see that she was rational enough to understand that she's in a world of toothpicks and that she's not fat or overweight.

- The ending was disappointing however, sorry. It might be my opinion, but it seemed ... rushed? I think more detail and development could be spared to her so her reaching that conclusion would be more realistic? Like observing herself in the mirror, talking herself through the entire thing or even asking people if they thought she was fat. I just felt like it was lacking sliiiiiiightly.

- Although I like the protagonist's really casual and conversational tone, I would have liked to see more variation in your language? Again, it might just be me being my picky self, lol.

- Overall, it was a really great read and I enjoyed it very much (:




Silverlock says...


Hey Cerez. Thank you for your review! As I mentioned in the A/N this actually happened to me so no the teacher didn't emphasize on BMI being inaccurate. As for the BMI rates, 20 was what I really got back then and the other's that I mentioned were from memory so I apologise if they were fare to inaccurate.



Cerez says...


You're very welcome and it's alright, I really may be being too nitpicky xP.
Coincidentally, I'm also Singaporean and live in Australia ahahahahaha /launches in to creeper mode/



Silverlock says...


Haha aren't we all stalkers of sonme sort? :P Geat to meet another Aussie Singaporean!! Which part of Aus are you in? I'm from Melbourne.



Cerez says...


I suppose so, lol! It's great to meet you too c:. I'm from Adelaide~



User avatar
183 Reviews


Points: 1810
Reviews: 183

Donate
Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:58 am
View Likes
ConverseFireGirl wrote a review...



Hey there! I totally loved reading this, you held my attention really well, good job!
This deserves to be on the Spotlight for sure, I love how you wrote this and the experience is so REAL, it's just great.
One small type however:
"I love food far to much."
Should be:
"I love food far too much. "
But that's the only little mistake I could even find in this! You've done a great job and I really love how you've written it. I feel you've reached out to other people.
One of my favourite bits was when the narrator was repeating "fat" in their head and the reader just felt like they were feeling it too. Amazing. Sorry if this review isn't great, but there's so little to criticize! :D
-CFG




Silverlock says...


Hey CFG! Thank you so much for your review. It was a great review! You were really encouraging. Thanks again! :)



User avatar
54 Reviews


Points: 524
Reviews: 54

Donate
Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:53 am
View Likes
StupidSoup wrote a review...



Hello Silverlock! I really liked your story. I liked the way you showed your conflict by listing all the girls weights, very creative! I also like how you show her changing mood. Happy to confused to angry and sad. Also very nice! Finally, I really like the way you enter the story. With rushed aggressiveness. Very nice! It shows you're character's attitude and how she acts. I hope you can do more stories like this and i would suggest trying your luck in different genres (Horror perhaps?) Anyway i think your talent can be put to very good use almost everywhere!

Great story! Keep up the good work!




Silverlock says...


Thank you! :)



User avatar
933 Reviews


Points: 4261
Reviews: 933

Donate
Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:05 am
View Likes
Iggy wrote a review...



Hey Silverlock!

Okay, this is a story a lot of girls can relate to. I'd say I'm just like you: I like to eat. Now, I also can lose a few pounds, but still, food is irresistible. x)

I felt like this fell rather short. The beginning was great, but the ending? Not what I expected. Well, it was, but not like that. I expected more. I expected the narrator to take a good look at herself, to cry, to feel disgusted with herself, etc. Generally, I expected more emotion. This feels more like a narration than a short story. How does she feel? I want to know her thoughts, her desires, her emotions, her struggles.

I do like that you took a nice turn with this. I expected her to become an anorexic/bulimic and stop eating, get depressed, turn away from who she is and become skin and bones. Instead, you had your character shrug it off and love herself for who she is. Which is good, since she is healthy, according to the BMI. But, again, where is the struggle? I find it hard to believe that she can so easily shrug it off.

Overall, I did enjoy this, but I think it has potential to be more than it is. But it is a true story, and if this is how you felt, then this is how you felt. You kept it true, so that's good, right? Hope I helped~




Silverlock says...


Hey Iggy! Thanks a lot for the review! :)
I totally agree about the ending, it was very rushed. It actually took me a few days to come to the realisation that I did in my story.
I'm actually quite a stubborn person and I refused to become a typical teenager who bemoans her weight. I practically forced myself to feel good about my weight. Though I probably should have incorporated a lot more into the ending. Yeah I did want to keep it true so there was no bulimia or anorexia which lol I don't think I'm even capable of :)
Thanks again!



User avatar
208 Reviews


Points: 830
Reviews: 208

Donate
Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:33 am
View Likes
rhiasofia wrote a review...



Just to be supportive, you do know that BMI is one of the least accurate of the health measurements, right? I'm in an anatomy class, and we just went through health and nutrition, and personal coaches and nutritionalists hardly ever use it, and they scoff at doctors who use it as a main resource, cause it literally shows next to nothing. Just to give you something that could hopefully cheer you up, even if it was a while ago.

Well, I've written this much, might as well review while I'm here. I did like this, for exactly what you said it was, for being a light read. It touches on a subject which is sensitive for many, but in a way that, eventually, is rather supportive. It really does capture the unnecessary worry about things like this, the way we become so stuck on them, and suddenly see ourselves differently. I couldn't find anything to complain about, no grammar or punctuation issues.




Silverlock says...


Hi rhiasofia!
Thanks a lot for reviewing. I'm staring anatomy soon so hopefully they'll tell me the same thing. I guess when you're 15 and your health teacher says something you end up believing it. I'm totally over it though, I just wanted to share my experience. :)




It's a pity the dictionary has only one definition of beauty. In my world, there are 7.9 billion types of it- all different and still beautiful.
— anne27