z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Worthless

by 221


This is it.

You can sell them here.

I know I won't get much,

but it will be more than I have.

I walk through the door.

I go to the front desk.

I ask " how much will you give? "

He says " for what? "

I reply " my soul ".

He scoffs and laughs.

" You want me to buy that! "

I lower my head.

" I couldn't even sell that to the most desperate. " he said.

I ask " Why not? "

" Look at it. So stained and ugly. "

" Who would want that! "

I feel so ashamed.

" It is not worth a penny. " says the man.

I walk outside sobbing.

I knew my soul was hideous,

but I thought it might have still held value.

I was wrong.

So slowly I walk into the dark,

standing alone in the night.

I feel the dagger.

I am worthless


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
48 Reviews


Points: 626
Reviews: 48

Donate
Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:03 pm
TheWeather wrote a review...



Hi, Weather here with a review.

I found this to be a positively somber poem. Although slightly depressing, it had a lot of raw emotion. However I feel that it can be approved upon a bit.

It was written in narrative form, but I think it would have been even more effective without it but you are the poet.

Sometimes this feels as if it's dragging on for a bit long at times considering its a sharp, emotive concept you have going on. This may be due to you using too many "I" pronouns and not a wide variety of others.

The end is where I felt your poem really started, ironically.

"So slowly I walk into the dark,

standing alone in the night.

I feel the dagger.

I am worthless"

This final section was the most effective. Here we could interpret that this ended in suicide. I would have actually had this at the beginning then progress through the poem expressing the worthlessness while living and how the soul can never be brought back to even have a deemed worth. Just in my opinion.

This has potential, just look over it a bit more and you could have a new revelation.

Hope I made more sense than nonsense.

--Weather




User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 1214
Reviews: 10

Donate
Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:56 pm
Kyana wrote a review...



Kya here for a review

That's quite powerful. I like how you start with the same type of phrase often. It is a bit depressing, but I like how you don't try to sugar-coat anything. It's very real and you tell a story while still falling within the poetry category.

221 wrote:So, slowly I walk into the dark,

This is the one grammatical error I found. You may want to drop the comma after "So"




221 says...


Thank you very much for this review. I have taken the comma out ;) now that you mentioned that. It is not really my style to sugar-coat things so I am glad you liked it. This was also originally suppose to be a story but when I wrote it a lot of the lines started the same way so I figured it was more like a poem. I am very glad that you liked it. :)



User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 329
Reviews: 5

Donate
Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:48 am
Zedderman wrote a review...



That was very good if not a tad depressing. i feel that some parts are slightly repetative however, 14 out of 26 lines start in exactly the same way. this may just be my ignorance at poetry, but other than that minor blip, all i can say is keep up the good work!




221 says...


Thank you very much for reviewing. Yes I do start a lot of the lines in the same way it sort of just happened while I was writing so I will probably keep it that way. I am very glad yo liked my work. Thank you for your comment. :)




mashed potatoes are v a l i d
— Liminality