Marked - Prologue

by Cmacca

I feel like I’m going insane, crazy, completely and utterly mentally unstable, whatever you want to call it. It all means the same thing, I do not think the same as your average person; I am not of “sound” mind. Who even decided what a sound mind is classified as? It sure as hell wasn’t you or me. Maybe it was you, maybe you are the person that decided I should bare the mark of insanity, but then again you just as easily could be marked as I am.

You are just a faceless being to me, one that has decided to read my story but none the less faceless. You being so faceless presents a problem to me. You see I want to tell you my story, no, not my “story”, the truth. But how am I to know if I can trust you? Like I said, you could have been the one the marked me with insanity to prevent people from believing me. Or perhaps you already know the truth and you want to hear someone else tell the truth, so you know that you aren’t crazy despite what you get told every day. I grant Them, that after what happened I am probably not quite of sound mind, but I am not insane! I know what happened and I know it to be the truth. I will tell you the truth, the truth that They have spent so much effort into keeping quiet, to the extent that They have committed multiple murders and worse. But I have been quiet my whole life, I lived my live the way I was told to. Not anymore. I will stand up and speak, spread the truth. I will help bring them down. Look down at your left wrist, right where your mark is, the one that states what your life-long career will be. Is that the job you wanted as a child? No? But you believe that you can’t do anything to change that. Because that’s the lie you’ve spent your whole life hearing and believing along with many others. I know now that is a lie, but I was once like you, no more. Let me take you back to the eve of my 18th birthday, waiting excitedly for my career mark to appear. Oh how naive and innocent I was then.

Okay, well, a pretty powerful declaration to start off with that there...definitely not something that you run into everyday when a character straight up says they've been certified to be insane right at the very beginning of a prologue, but it certainly does make things very interesting here, right off the bat. Then of course there's the rather pointed sounding questions at the end there with the protagonist here questioning the definition of what a sound mind is and who was the one who came up with and decided to mark this person as not having one...that escalates things to a whole other level with the kind of things it makes you think of there. All in all, great start to a prologue here.

Okay...so well, this definitely explains a lot more of the context here...which definitely indicates there's a whooole lot going on here...it looks like we've got a world where some sort of career mark exists to decide your life and there's secrets...and well, it seems like a pretty unique take on one of those crazy future stories...and I am all for it. It definitely seems to hint at a lot of worldbuilding having gone into it there, especially towards the end of this paragraph here...and it seems like it could be a really intriguing premise here. This does seem like a story that I would read here. :D

Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:01 pm
Kanome wrote a review...

Hello, Cmacca.

Kanome here with a review for you!

Okay, well, this prologue is just outstanding, it brings out the main character's true purpose to why he or she wants to tell us his or her story. I love how he or she questions the readers, it gets the readers more involved in the story than the main character normally would.

It's probably just me, but you might want to revise the following sentence at the beginning:
"It all means the same thing, I do not think the same as your average person; I am not of “sound” mind."

I believe that is a run-on sentence, so a little editing will help.

All in all, this is a wonderful prologue. I can't wait to read more of this story. Keep up the good work <3

-K

TheCrimsonLady wrote a review...

Hello, love!

Aurora here for a review!

Technicalities first, love!

I feel like I’m going insane, crazy, completely and utterly mentally unstable, whatever you want to call it.
I feel like I’m going insane, crazy, completely and utterly mentally unstable- whatever you want to call it.

It all means the same thing, I do not think the same as your average person; I am not of “sound” mind.
It all means the same thing. I don't think the same as your average person; I am not of “sound” mind.

maybe you are the person that decided
maybe you're the person that decided

Maybe it was you, maybe you are the person that decided I should bare the mark of insanity, but then again you just as easily could be marked as I am.
Maybe it was you, maybe you are the person that decided I should bare the mark of insanity- but then again you just as easily could be marked as I am.

You are just a faceless being to me, one that has decided to read my story but none the less faceless.
You are just a faceless being to me, one that has decided to read my story. But none the less- you are faceless.

You see I want to tell you my story, no, not my “story”, the truth.
You see, I want to tell you my story. No, no, not my “story”. I want to tell you the truth.\

Technicalities are over, love!

I absolutely love your prologue- I don't generally like dystopian fiction anymore, but love- in all honesty? You've got me hooked. Your main errors are comma errors, run-on sentences, and not using enough contractions. So- punctuation. Not the plot. I've got nothing to say- watch your grammar, and you'll be fine. Wait, no- better than fine!

Keep persisting. I can wait to read the next chapter, love!

Evilly yours (or maybe not so much yours),
Aurora K. Night

Cmacca says...

Thank you! I am terrible at grammar so I need all the help possible :)

I want to understand you, I study your obscure language.
— Alexander Pushkin