The Fate Of The King of Cobras

by PiesAreSquared

Before beginning, readers should know that I have written this on a phone. The formatting is not of the best and autocorrect is a beast. I have proofread this as far as I can in that regard. This story is a test by me to see if I have atrophied or gained as a writer in my time of absence from YWS. Please feel free to critique and compare this to previous writings. I have omitted description of the trees and some other small matters as I want this to be a fast paced story without the possibility of continuation. This was written as a fun piece too.

Enjoy!

------------

Stretching myself over the ground, I soak in the scorching heat of the noon sun. The tall grass shooting towards the sky provides no shade, nor do I desire any.

Their bulbous roots provide a comfortingly prickly feel to my stomach, which I wriggle luxuriantly. Their blades, scorched brown in the relentless heat, tapered to pointy ends high above my eyes. My belly is full, and I am rewarding myself for a, in my view, wildly successful hunt.

I had just feasted the night before on a marvelous morsel of krait. The sight of its vivid yellow on black stripes spins in my head. Its venom had provided a sumptuous seasoning to its already delectable flesh, which taste like river rat, but with a more venomous tang.

True, this particular krait had put up a fight which I had not been taught to anticipate. If it wasn't for my strong body armour, from which I could never part painlessly, I probably would now be lying to rot where I now lie. I had stalked it for nights. Marking this specimen's favorite prey, I pumped a small mouse full of my venomous poison-which I had in full supply-, in a most ingenious manner. The mouse looked and behaved healthy, but should it be bitten carelessly, or even at all, my venom would rush into their mouths and kill instantly, or so I hoped, for I was new to this game of live or die, knowing all I do from instinct.

This trap I had released into the hunting ground of the krait. I only had to wait patiently for another night before its greed overcame its caution and it rushed for my trap. I was foolish and came out of my hiding place, which was a small depression in a rising mound of earth, at it just as its jaws began to cramp. I had overestimated the power of my own poison.

With desperate snaps of its jaws, coupled with its powerful wriggling, the krait succeeded in hitting me more than once. I retreated disgruntled at what I thought to be a failure of my poison to a safe distance and laid low for the reptile to perish. I feared a crippling injury. The beast soon met my expectation, screeching as its life seeped away. Rushing to it, I hungrily tore it open with my teeth, quickly ripping off and gulping down chunks of meat. In a few short minutes, my prey sank down my gullet toward my stomach, already digesting well. I had not the strength to move, and lay where I was, watching the night flee from the light of day. It was full noon before I had the strength to do anything, and all I did was wriggle on the grass.

I place my jaws on the earth. Something is not right. The ground feels as though a hundred hooves are pounding it into dust. I dart my head towards the grasstop, just enough to see through the thinning slits of grass growing high. I duct quickly back down and begin pushing myself fearfully towards a thick border of trees several hundred lengths towards my left. My desire for the sun falls to my liver as I rush for the relative safety of my forest home. I hope it is safe, at least. A large stampeding herd of cattle rushes towards me, I fear that I will not make it to the treeline before being trampled.

Adrenaline fires through my veins as my pounding heart work frantically to keep up with my sudden activity. I make it to the treeline and race through towards a thick pile of decaying leaves and twigs. I hope this cushion will soften any impact hooves will make on my scaly armour. I was just in comfortably, when the herd thundered abruptly to a halt just a step away from my rear end.

I breath a sigh of relief. For now I am safe, as long as I remain unseen. If I am, the cattle would go frantic in their excited panic and my great fear of death would be realized. I shut my eyes and slither my tongue repeatedly through my lips. My tongue tastes cattle. Cattle are everywhere. I clam my eyelids tighter in terror. Their mouths bring the sound of crunching nuts and forest fruits loudly to my ears, and I cringingly close my ear holes as tightly as I can. Every now and then, a prodding hoof would touch my skin. I pretend that I'm just a piece of wood, but still I am very scared.

It is dusk when I hear the sound of a cattle boy shouting to his herd. He brandishes a whip and leads off the cattle, who sulkily vacate their feeding ground to return whither they come from.

I heave uncomfortably when they are out of earshot. My body aches stiff as I clumsily roll side on side to help my blood regain circulation. I slither through the forest floor towards home, wringing my neck frequently to remove the stiffness. I find a tall tree towering towards the sky. It has no leaves at its top. Instead, it holds a long abandoned eagle's nest. It is a great hold of hay and mud, large enough to fit me comfortably. Ivy spirals round the tree as though the tree is some screw halfway turned into the earth. I stick my head over the lowest levels and slither slowly towards the top. Scratchy sounds are made every time my skin hits a knot in the climber.

I curl up and close my eyes, hoping to rest before my night's hunt, which I will start at the rising of the moon. My mind spins with my recent events, and I toss a squirm in the nest as I try to reconcile eating kraits with being stampeded by cattle. Neither of these animals willingly would come after me though, and I do not understand why I fear them so much. Indeed there are some animals that I fear. The eagle, which can swoop down from the unseen and snatch or kill almost anyone without the power of flight, and even many of those with, I fear enough to run at the sight of any of them.

Men who live in large communities, building for themselves stout holds of wood, or stone, or both. From them I would not run, for some would show great kindness to me, giving me food, water, and munificent affection. Others, though, are not so kind. If they were to see me, they would slaughter me without thought or trial. My greatest enemy though, are neither of these.

This forbidding doom I would flee at the merest scent of. They would rush, sometimes in packs, and sometimes alone, at me, snapping their jaws angrily as they did so. No amount of poison would do any good, for they are immune to it. I coul do nothing against packs but run. All I can do is raise myself menacingly and growl a hiss at them. When alone they slink away. Unfortunately only then, for I can do nothing but wound as many in a pack as I am able to before being butchered. There is no hope of a kind soul among these.

I wake suddenly from my restless rest. My tongue darts through the air, searching for the danger that wakes me. Mongoose. The danger rises sharp and shrill in my mind. My eyes rove suspiciously through the darkness, picking out many silhouettes. Trees frowning in gloom. Tree cats, ground cats, water cats. Cats of all types, eyes reflecting bright in the moonlight. Where are my mongoose? They show nothing of themselves. I huddle closer to the straw, hoping to mask my smell and sight from them. If I remain perfectly still, they might I away, for this was a pack of them I smell, and I have nowhere to run. I am just a thin layer under the grass when two glowing eyes peeks above the hay line. They are quickly joined by others. Threatening eyes swirl around my hiding place, and I hold my breath in fear. The whiffing of their nose tells me that my ploy might yet succeed, for now there are six of them crowding in the hay bundle.

They snivel among themselves in disappointment after several minutes of watchful hunting. Slowly, the head of the pack mournfully groans an order to leave the tree for other prey, and yet slower still the others follow. I wait anxiously until the last turns to leave, and then impatiently lifts my body slightly to ease a nerve. The movement causes the faintest of noises, which the wind carries betrayingly to the pack. They rush bacn up to the nest.

I see I have been found out. Drawing myself impressively, and straightening out my shoulders, I pull up my hood and growl menacingly at them. They snigger to themselves wickedly and bound in for the attack. Singling out their leader, I struck my head out, jaws snapping. I clam shut on his neck, as he raises a shrill cry of terror. His paws jerk at my face. I shut my jaws tighter. The other mongoose circle round and are now jawing away at my shoulders.

I jerk my body, my nerves screwing in pain as a part of me gives way to the mongoose. I feel blood rushing out of my wound in thick sprouts. I feel a cold dread dawn upon me. I will never survive this. The blood loss alone will kill me in a few minutes.

I feel a wrenching pain as my lower body is pulled apart by the raging hunger of my enemies. Drowziness clouds my mind. I have lost my heart. The mongoose I hold onto finally thuds to the straw, lifeless. I jerk onto my shoulders, screaming at the pain. Jumping as best as I can towards the nearest mongoose, my eyes run in slow motion towards this enemy. Her paws dart quickly into my eyes, and I feel the grass thump against my head. I see two mongoose fighting over what remains of my lower body. A claw descends into my eye, an I feel a sharp pang of pain as it drives it's way towards the center of my head.

Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:14 am
horrendous wrote a review...

horrendous with a review.

my initial thought was that the MC was a human hunter who utilized traps and poison to hunt game. the more i read, the more that misconception was altered, and that was part of the fun of this piece.

i share your tribulations as i also write on my cell phone. it makes for some grammar mistakes and there were a couple in this story. no worries, they weren't serious and didn't detract from my ability to understand the story.

this was such a fun read, i became connected to the MC as he/she slithered about, focused only on survival, and him/her getting eaten at the end was discomforting but obviously necessary to keep the story brief.

this was great man, just great. i don't know if you've improved as this was the first work of yours i've read, but you're good.

ZLYF says...

Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:15 pm

Hi there! Lucrezia here for a review, as requested. ;)

It's really hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that you wrote this on a phone. I write terribly on phones, iPads, whatever. And this is amazing.

The emotion was very palpable. The MC's desperation and fear were quite clear. I loved his (her?) thought process, as well. Writing from an animal's perspective is a slippery slope, but you pulled it off flawlessly.

And on a cell phone.

The piece flowed nicely, from beginning to end. You did a great job at showing the reader the MC's meal in the beginning all the way to his death at the end. It really felt like a day in the life of a snake.

Some nitpicks:

I probably would now be lying to rot where I now lie.

"Now" is a bit repetitive here.

full of my venomous poison-which I had in full supply-, in a most ingenious manner.

Should either be two hyphen/dashes on either side, or space-dash-space. Also, no need for the comma after "supply-".

The mouse looked and behaved healthy, but should it be bitten carelessly, or even at all, my venom would rush into their mouths and kill instantly, or so I hoped, for I was new to this game of live or die, knowing all I do from instinct.

This a little on the long side and has a ton of commas. Maybe break it up with some periods?

I was just in comfortably, when the herd thundered abruptly to a halt just a step away from my rear end.

"Just" is repetitive here.

I coul do nothing against packs but run.

You missed the D at the end of "could."

they might I away

This doesn't make any sense.

They rush bacn up to the nest.

I believe you meant "back."

Okay, now that I'm done with the annoying typos, let me once again say this was a very amazing piece. I'm still in complete awe you wrote it on a phone; that alone is worthy of a huge pat on the back.

Terrific work!

ZLYF says...

Thanks. I am still working on my repetition.

The "they might I away" is a classic autocorrect!

Thanks again!

wakarimasen says...

You wrote this story A CELL PHONE? You amaze me!

Sometimes, I wonder if autocorrect is more detrimental to spelling correctly than beneficial.... :D

ZLYF says...

Yup. Cell phone. Call me crazy!! :D

Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:43 pm
Panikos wrote a review...

Hello there, ZLYF! Pan is here to pander to your every reviewing need.

This was certainly a different kind of piece. It was interesting to read from the perspective of an animal, as that isn't something I often see on here, and your grasp of description is very good. You're obviously articulate and have real originality, so I hope you continue to treasure and utilise those traits.

Still, this story isn't completely rosy. I've got one main problem with it. You know I said that you were good at description? That's true. But you're good at it in the same way that grandmas are good at cooking - sometimes you make use of that skill a bit too much. About 95% of this piece is made up of fairly linear imagery, so it feels a bit tough to wade through. You need a light hand with description, because dumping too much into a story - especially one intended to be exciting and fast-paced - can leave the reader feeling a tad bored. For instance, when you were narrating the part about the cattle, I didn't really feel any of the fear that your character was supposed to be exhibiting because there was just too much description. When someone is terrified, they don't stop to think and observe everything around them, but rather speak in a rapid and fragmented way because they can't actually piece together any coherent and detailed thoughts. Description and lack thereof can both be used to create emotion, so you need to make use of each.

To clarify, let's look at this passage:

You have chosen to write in present tense, which can be fantastic for conveying panic. However , present tense is harder to master, as it has to seem realistic and sudden, so you've picked a double-edged sword here. You need to learn how to wield it.

Here's how I might choose to write that paragraph:

My body is on fire, set alight by adrenaline and fear and the drumming of my heart. The trees are close. But are they? I can't see. I can't think. Am I even hauling myself in the right direction? My vision is pulsing, my head is pounding, and the grass seems to be growing and twisting and sliding its way into my path, intent on trapping me within the stampede, but I keep pushing on, listening to the one thought that my brain is capable of churning out - move move move move move - until I spill into the shade of what must be the treeline.

Maybe that's a little lengthy and messy, but what I've tried to do there is use a combination of overly long sentences and incredibly short ones in order to convey the chaos that is a panicked mind. It's less descriptive of the world around the narrator and more focused on personal feelings, which is what I think this piece needed more of in order to break it up a bit. You see what I mean?

I think this will have to mark the end of my review. To summarise, this is a pretty good story overall, and you're clearly capable of writing really well, so just don't worry about holding back on the description a bit sometimes and using it sparingly. You don't want your stories to hide behind adjectives and become no more than walls of writing, even if you feel safer that way (I know I have in the past), so don't get lost in it. I'll take plot over description any day.

I hope I helped! If you have any other queries, do not hesitate to PM me. And I'm not just saying that; receiving messages is super exciting for me. :D

~Pan

ZLYF says...

Thanks pan! Now I know a new area I can work on! Panic description!

Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:10 pm
Dreamy wrote a review...

Hey there,

Dreamy here to review. This was indeed a fun story, because I hate snakes and seeing it die was kind of fun. o.o

The plot was really intriguing. I liked it very much. The narration, I was quite surprised on the realization that the story itself is being narrated by the snake. That was very thoughtful of you. Even though, you didn't make your descriptions longer, I would say that it was just what the story needed so you needn't worry about it.

The beginning of the story is what I liked the most, it just sounded like a lazy human who was lying in the field after a heavy meal. It sounded very funny and latter when I knew that it was a snake, I couldn't just stop laughing. This could make good cartoon xP I enjoyed this story. This was a very good imagination, I'd say. Keep up the good work!

Keep writing!!!

Cheers!!!

p.s Snakes can't hear. It's all the vibrations that they feel with their body.

ZLYF says...

I was an artistically liberated snake. I thought it would be more confusing (read fun) for readers to think this was written from a person's perspective.

Thanks for da review!

He began to wonder why he had felt uneasy at all. It was like a man wondering in broad daylight why a dream had appeared so terrible to him at night.
— Chinua Achebe, Things Fall Apart