z

Young Writers Society



Lucy's Cousin (title pending)

by TriSARAHtops


Whenever I have tried to trace back to a point where I could have prevented it all from happening, I’ve never been successful. ‘It all’, of course, being the tattered friendship that once existed between my two best friends. Everything is different now, and I don’t know if I should be happy or sad about that. I feel like I should have done something, anything, to prevent the aforementioned ‘it all’ from happening. But I know I couldn’t have done that, even if I had known what was going to transpire. I couldn’t have stopped the accident, I couldn’t have stopped Lucy from walking around the corner to see her cousin sprawled on the pavement, I couldn’t have stopped Alicia’s insensitivity and I couldn’t have stopped the vicious clash of heartache and poorly timed laughter tearing a chasm between my two friends.

I couldn’t have stopped any of that, but I feel like I should have.

It was never my fight, but somehow it seems to have affected me more than anyone else. If I’m honest with myself, I suppose that a split between Lucy and Alicia was bound to happen anyway. Their friendship had been problematic for long before the accident. Now, every little issue that existed between them has been magnified, although I haven’t actually seen or heard a conversation between them in weeks. I think they are both tired of arguing, but the anger is buried so deep that they still can’t meet each other’s eyes. I wonder whether the original reason for their falling out is even relevant anymore. This unbearable cycle of shouting matches, spreading malevolent rumours and deathly silences has been going on for what feels like forever. Sometimes I think that in the midst of it all, the original causes have become clouded, if not forgotten completely. I know that Lucy still hasn’t forgiven Alicia for laughing at the wrong moment, and I know that Alicia still resents Lucy for her explosive reaction, but I wonder whether in the aftermath of that first argument, so many fights and disagreements have followed that the original reasons are just another excuse.

I knew Lucy’s cousin. She was kind and charming, and the last thing she would have wanted was for her death to have sparked the destruction of a fairly longstanding friendship. Years of both their lives seem to count for nothing. A predominately happy history obliterated because of one foul swoop of fate. I want so, so badly to fix everything, to make things go back to the way they were. That isn’t to say that there weren’t cracks in their friendship before the accident. Looking back, sometimes it seems obvious that a split would eventually happen. For the last couple of years, Lucy and Alicia haven’t been able to understand each other’s meaning. Lucy often takes Alicia’s jokes to heart, or rather, she took them to heart. Everything about their friendship belongs in the past tense now. The exact reason that the split in their friendship came to be was their inability to communicate. I know that Alicia never meant to be laughing at a funny story at the moment Lucy began to cry, but what I was able to see didn’t change the fact that they did not sit on the same wavelength. If only they had understood each other’s minds better.

If only the world could be healed with ‘if only’.

I don’t know where I stand anymore. Alicia and Lucy finally seem to have transitioned from miscommunication to no communication, but I’m still caught in the middle. Their falling-out still plagues me, and I still lose sleep wondering whether I should still try to heal the rift between them. To do that, I would have to know where to begin, and I am not so naïve as to think that the accident alone caused this to happen. Perhaps it is all for the best. They have both managed to slot into groups with friends that seem better able to understand them. Nothing is the same anymore, and I doubt it will ever be the same again.

I still wish I could change that.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
463 Reviews


Points: 12208
Reviews: 463

Donate
Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:25 pm
View Likes
megsug wrote a review...



Hey TriSARAHtops,
Here as requested.

Your story is cute and, as everyone else has been saying, the if only line is very affective.

However, your story is only narration which creates a gap between the reader and the character. Now, some action and dialogue would make your story longer- perhaps much longer- but I think the deepening of the character/reader relationship would be worth it. What I'm saying here is you tell us a lot, but you don't show us anything, really. Actual scenes, instead of this contant monologue might be more helpful. Perhaps show us the scene where Lucy sees her cousin or the scene where Alicia laughs at the wrong time. This thread might be useful to you if you wish to get a few more tips on that.

My other issue is your narrator's Mary-Sue-esque qualities. By that, I mean she's done nothing wrong but she still feels bad. It's a little ridiculous, and she comes off as a very flat character. Wouldn't she really be a little angry? Just a tad?

So, when it comes down to it, you have a nice foundation. Where you build from here will show what kind of story this could really become!

If you have any questions or comments, don't hesitate to contact me.
Keep writing,
Megs~




TriSARAHtops says...


I'm a bit late, but thank you for the review! I wrote this in an hour and a half for English last year, so that's why the character isn't particularly developed. Don't know whether I'll continue to work on this piece, but if I do I'll definitely take your advice into consideration. :-)



Random avatar

Points: 17243
Reviews: 328

Donate
Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:12 am
View Likes
deleted30 wrote a review...



Hi there! Lucrezia here for a review, as requested.

This was a phenomenal piece, truly. The emotion felt incredibly real, as did the characters. The wording was wonderful. It was so good I honestly could've believed this was the beginning of a real, published novel.

I just love this.

Boring nitpicks:

vicious clash of heart-ache


"Heartache" is one word, no need for the dash.

This unbearable cycle of shouting matches, spreading malevolent rumours and deathly silences has been going on for what feels like forever, and I think that in the midst of it all, the original causes have become clouded, if not forgotten completely.


This is a bit long and has a lot of commas. It's not too comma-ridden that it's glaring or irritating, but it could benefit from perhaps switching out a few of those and replacing them with periods. For example, the comma after "what feels like forever" really could easily be changed to a period.

whether in the aftermath of that fist argument


I believe you meant "first" rather than "fist." ;)

Other than those, this was such an amazing story and a delight to read. Well done. Very well done.

Keep up the great work!




TriSARAHtops says...


Thanks!
I've gone through and fixed the typos. I can't believe I wrote heartache like that... No idea where that came from. :-)



User avatar
205 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 205

Donate
Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:39 am
View Likes
AEChronicle wrote a review...



Very thought evoking.

"If only the world could be healed with ‘if only’.

I don’t know where I stand anymore."

If only those words were true!

Your short has a lot of meaning to it, and I find myself feeling sad for the writer. Torn between two friends and their hate for each other, who hasn't been in this situation? It screams to the rest of the world and brings to light a very controversial concept, that humans will be humans, and there's not a lot we can do about it.

In the beginning I like your use of "it all" as an explanation for the events that transpired. It immediately brings the story into focus, except, you don't know what you're focusing on, and you want to know more. With that in mind, I feel you did a good job of taking something that can be boring to talk about, and making it interesting, but true enough that it speaks to all of us, right to the heart.

Now I wish I could go back and change some things.

If only....

Thank you TriSARAHtops!




TriSARAHtops says...


Thank YOU for the review! :-)



User avatar
285 Reviews


Points: 237
Reviews: 285

Donate
Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:17 am
View Likes
GreenTulip wrote a review...



This is a very emotional piece that shows the strong ties of friendship and family. It is a good piece that shows what a friendship can mean in any form even if they are family. It has a sad tone to it as I read it. This is a very good story that shows how everyone just wants to change something that they can not control. It is well written, and it shows the anguish that comes from being caught in the middle of anything. Sometimes all we can do, is wish that we can change something. Other times we can hold the power to change something.




TriSARAHtops says...


Thank you! :-)




One who sits between two chairs may easily fall down.
— Proverb from Romania and Russia