Hawk's eye - Chapter One (Working title) Scrapped

by Pompadour

CHAPTER ONE:

Re-live the burning fire, watch it crackle to the ground.

Why look forward to doing tomorrow what you can do today? Hawk pulled his hood over his face, the unspoken question echoing in his mind as the dark fabric fell to shield his eyes from view. He knew his eyes were a dead giveaway of who he was and where he came from, like neon lights flickering on a highway. And despite it not being his stop for another five hours, he wasn't willing to take any chances of attracting attention – pleasant or otherwise.

In fact, he thought dourly, as he slumped back in the battered window seat, he ought to have been careful even when he left home. He shouldn't have been so impulsive, striding out in a fit of rage and sheer stupidity, thus alerting Ann Bobby (who he suspected possessed telepathic skills anyway) that he was leaving the house.

Perhaps it was partly the fact that he knocked over her potted plants and fell face-first onto the stony gravel, swearing and muttering vociferously, that caused her to rush outside, too.

Merlin!’ she said, eyes wide and disapproving, ‘What on earth do you think you’re doing?’

‘Duncawlmehdaht,’ Hawk mumbled incoherently, face still planted firmly on the ground. He was sprawled out on the steps leading down from the porch, legs sticking up comically. But there was nothing comical about the situation at all - at least not to him, anyway. It was just plain infuriating.

So much for being discreet, he thought, scowling, as he propped himself on his elbows and forced himself to look at Ann Bobby. He could feel the guilt gnawing at him already, though, and couldn't entirely meet her eyes. As he caught sight of the confused expression latched onto her face, he could tell she hadn't managed to decipher his gibberish either.

‘Pardon?’ she finally said.

Hawk sighed. ‘I told you not to call me that. My name’s Hawk.’

Even as he said the words, he knew she wasn't listening – as usual. Bent over the green monstrosity that had once been a plant, she picked up a piece of the broken clay and gave an absent-minded, ‘Mm hmm,’ obviously trying to ignore what he'd just said.

Hawk rolled his eyes and sighed. It was always the same. Even though he’d been living with his aunt for five years, she still persisted in calling him by his outlandish real name. She seemed to be oblivious to the fact that he hated it. Either that or she just enjoyed being sadistic.

‘And where exactly were you going before this unfortunate ... incident?’ Ann Bobby’s demand snapped Hawk back to the present. He had gotten to his feet and was shuffling towards the gate in an attempt to sneak out, unnoticed. He felt annoyed, suddenly. Annoyed with fate for interfering with his decisions. Annoyed with the feeling of remorse that overwhelmed him every time he tried to make his exit. But most of all, he was annoyed with himself for having to hurt his aunt. So he couldn’t help it when he blurted out a biting retort, and said snappily:

Out. Why do you care?’

‘I could give you a million reasons, Merlin.’ she said, folding her arms over her chest and glaring at him. But her eyes had softened slightly a split-second later, and Hawk’s conscience began to squirm unpleasantly. He ignored it, however, as Ann Bobby went on.

Merlin,’ she said exasperatedly, ‘You need to realize that I am not going to shun you. Have I ever treated you differently ever since I found out about your – your condition? I never sent you to school for your own safety. I home-schooled you myself! Would I do that if I didn't care?’ A single tear trickled down her cheek, and Hawk could see that she was distressed, but he remained impassive, glacial. He knew he was hurting her, but after today, he wouldn't anymore. Sure, his leaving her would break her, but in time she would come to realize that what he had done was for the best. Pain is like a burning fire, a raging torrent that sweeps through your soul. But the flames would simmer down, and she would heal. At least, he hoped she would. After all, Hawk knew more about fire than the average person, and he knew that it wasn't as frightening a reality as the world believed it to be.

Currently, though, the fire within him was tearing him apart, and he felt as though his heart was burning up when Ann Bobby looked him in the eye and said, in barely more than a whisper: ‘You’re like the son I never had.’

That was enough. Hawk could feel a prickling sensation at the back of his eyes and bowed his head, staring down at the ground. A single tear broke free of its membrane prison, rolling down his nose and making a dark splotch where it landed against the pavement.

‘I have to go.’ he said, in a voice that was not his own, with a touch of asperity and finality even he couldn't have expected from himself. Those were the four words that would haunt him for the rest of his life, because he knew that he would never see his aunt again. Yet this was the decision he had chosen to make. And it was the decision that he knew would change his life.

He turned on his heel and jogged away slowly, leaving the little yellow house behind him forever. The house of ivy and fern. It was the place where he would stare out the windows for hours, at the empty fields where the wind sang its laments of solitude. He would return someday, ten years in the distant future, maybe, but he had a feeling there would only be dust and ash to greet him when he did. He would call to the barren winds, to a home he had given up so long ago. But the winds would never answer, and life would go on.

Like it was supposed to.

Hawk set his jaw firmly as he recalled the events of the day, hunched up in a dark corner at the back of the old bus that jostled along the bumpy country roads. He sat in the wake of his own comfortable silence, mulling over his past and anticipating the purpose with which he had set out to scour the world.

To any ordinary observer, it would appear as though the boy was fast asleep, leaning his forehead against the cool glass so that the window was all fogged up. But Hawk was, in fact, wide-awake, and trying incredibly hard to erase the memory of a certain woman he had left perched on her doorstep, her fly-away red hair almost as bright as the flames he had so often seen dance in the darkness of the night; the same flames he saw whenever he closed his eyes...

Hawk breathed in deeply and rubbed the window with his palm to see outside. It didn't make much of a difference, really, since the sun had set a long time ago, and the velvety folds of the night stared back at him. He frowned at his blotchy reflection, and looked away. He was so, so tired of seeing that face. Every day he had spent locked up in his room, just staring at himself; he wished his reflection would at least speak to him. He knew himself off by heart and could trace the lines of his face even in his sleep: floppy black hair, as normal as could be. A pale face with high cheekbones and well-sculpted features. And his eyes … his unnerving, almost frightening eyes…

He had always been daunted by them, even when he was young. No one had eyes like his, he knew. They seemed unreal – alien, somehow; a vivid green-gold with a tiny silver swirl at the edge of his irises. If you were to look closer, you would see the silver making a pattern, changing constantly according to the emotions he was experiencing at the time. And right now, a flame was dancing within them, like a gypsy – something that was out of his control.

Hawk shuddered slightly, but the sparks had already started to trail down his spine, cart-wheeling towards his wrist and down to his fingertips. His hands began to shake and itch uncontrollably; he curled them up into fists. When he opened his palm, he found a flame dancing in the middle, curling and lisping like a dragon’s tongue. Hawk’s eyes widened with fear, and he looked around quickly, hesitantly, just to make sure nobody had seen it happen. But the entire bus seemed to either be fast asleep, or too tired to care. The paunchy man in the seat beside him was dead to the world, the ends of his mustache flying upwards whenever he snored. Satisfied, Hawk stared at the flame for a moment, watching it flicker and trail upwards, like ivy climbing up a trellis, until it was approximately level with his eyes.

And then it was snuffed out, just disappearing – almost as though it had never existed. But Hawk had long ago learnt of the fine line between reality and fantasy, and he knew he hadn't been dreaming. It was as real as the last time, and the time before that.

It seemed so simple, how the fire came and went, leaving nothing but a vacuum inside Hawk’s heart.

A vacuum that not even his scattered thoughts could fill, as exhaustion finally overwhelmed him, and the bus teetered on through the night.

deleted5 wrote a review...

Hey there Pompadour! Alex here to review your chapter by request (Sorry for the late reply!)
I loved the character Hawk, he has such an interesting personality and mysterious past life. You give the impression that he has some sort of power and certain other events in his life has forced him to live cautiously and in the care of his aunt.
This:

He knew his eyes were a dead giveaway of who he was and where he came from, like neon lights flickering on a highway. And despite it not being his stop for another five hours, he wasn't willing to take any chances of attracting attention – pleasant or otherwise.
Is such a good example of showing but not telling.
You used some really good imagery in it as well:

This also shows that Hawk has a tough exterior but inside, he cares for people.
I couldn't see anything glaringly obvious in this to nitpick, I don't like doing that anyway. All I can say to improve is to maybe make a few more things happen in it or maybe describe a bit more. You've bulked it up a lot but it's vision is quite narrow.
Overall, very interesting opening! I would love to learn more of Hawk!

deleted30 wrote a review...

Hi there! Lucrezia here for a review, as requested.

This was really amazing. Honestly, it was just so good. The narrative voice was quite strong, and that's something that a lot of writers have trouble with. The pacing was absolutely flawless. Your MC is intriguing, very much so.

The descriptions were also great. I especially loved the one of Hawk's eyes. They were easy to picture, and so unique. It was awesome how you didn't just write "his eyes were green-gold," blah blah blah, but instead really gave a captivating and cleverly-worded description.

The relationship between him and his aunt seemed very realistic, especially the dialogue between the two. Good work on that.

The whole thing flowed together seamlessly, from beginning to end, and honestly was a lot of fun to read. ;)

Okay, most of the nitpicks have been covered, but I think I found a few more.

He felt annoyed, suddenly.

I don't think the comma's really necessary.

he annoyed with himself

I think you meant, "he was annoyed with himself"?

Sure, his leaving her would break her

I'm not sure what it is about this part that annoys me. Maybe the fact that "her" is kind of repetitive?

his unnerving, almost alien eyes…

He had always been daunted by them, even when he was young. No one had eyes like his, he knew. They seemed unreal – alien, somehow

"Alien" feels a bit repetitive here.

Other than that, awesome job. Really, really awesome job. ^_^

Keep up the good work!

Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:47 am
dragonfphoenix wrote a review...

Knight Dragon, here to review as requested!

Technical:
On a textual note, starting with a thought in italics, completely separated from its tag, was a little rough to read over. And when you start with the "Or", you make it seem like you're contrasting something, when you're not. You're just stating a fact. So if you started with "That's what" instead, it might smooth things out.

"In fact, he thought dourly – as he slumped back in the battered window-seat – he ought to have been careful even when he left home."

None of the hyphens belong in that sentence. Window seat should be written just like that, and the rest should be commas.

"Ann Bobby’s real name was Aunt Roberta..."

This paragraph, though short, is a "tell" paragraph, and I wonder how important it is to the story. True, it's not entirely offensive, but what does it add to the story? Does it give it some extra meaning, some depth, that the story needs and can't have without it? It reveals a bit of history, and connects Hawk's aunt to this 'pet name', (and is probably tolerable). However, for story flow, does that really need to be in that particular spot, or are there other ways you could incorporate it? It's just a slight divergent from the actual story itself, mentally almost an "Ooh, shiny!" moment that lasts about two seconds (if that).

"But Ann Bobby had been watching him like a hawk, and that wasn't even punny."

"watching like a hawk" has become an almost cliche or trite comparison, and the combination with "punny" (which was aiming for cute) came across as corny. It's up to you if (keeping your audience in mind) if that sentence is worth keeping or scrapping.

"...folding her arms over her chest and glaring at him. But her brown eyes had softened slightly, and Hawk’s conscience began to squirm unpleasantly."

Minor consistency error. How does one glare, then have their eyes soften before they begin glaring? You give the impression that she's upset, while at the same time that she's suddenly sympathetic. Why the change? (I'm not saying you're doing something wrong at this point, but you've definitely created something I expect answered in the very near future.) So as far as the description, I would change that to "her brown [Why do we need to know they're brown right now?] eyes were not as hard as they'd been...", giving the impression that they were still somewhat angry/annoyed/etc., yet still in the process of losing some of their stiffness.
And on to the "conscience began to squirm uneasily." Why in the world is he suddenly uncomfortable? Is it because he smashed a plant? Obviously not, or else he would have had some form of initial reaction much earlier, some pangs of remorse, however superficial or deep. But here, here I see no reason for him to be suddenly conscience stricken. Even discomfort at his aunt's concern (if that is truly what he feels) would not lead to a guilty conscience. This feels very out of place and unrealistic, so it's now high on my radar for why he feels like this, and whether or not you provide a satisfactory explanation.

"After all, Hawk knew more about fire than the average person is expected to..."

The "than the average person is expected to" just felt really odd. Why is the "is expected to" there? You're obviously hinting that he's intimately acquainted with fire, perhaps to the point of elementalism, but that extra tidbit makes it seem like anyone is capable of his abilities (which they're obviously not supposed to be if his aunt kept him out of school to protect him). So I'd suggest chopping that.

And upon further reading I realized why he's feeling so guilty. So, he's leaving his aunt behind, "for her own good", so to speak. And he's only then starting to feel some pain about that? Really? He should be wrestling with those emotions from the start, not the moment he's face to face with her for the last time. You need to introduce those emotions much earlier, perhaps even compound that with his seeing how awful his exit just became with him smashing one of the plant pots.

"But now we return to a hooded young man..."

???
Did I miss something? How are we returning to anything? This is obviously a 'flash forward' to modern times, or at least a later time than the opener, but unless this is Hawk we've never met this character before. And even if it is Hawk we haven't encountered him in this state of life before. This is all new information to your reader. So there is no 'returning' of any kind, even if this is an older, more mature Hawk. Please find some other way to show the time jump.
Also, get rid of the "we." This entire piece has been in third person, and suddenly your narrator has just switched to plural first, acknowledging both their and the readers' existence. The objectivity has been broken. The viewpoint has just been shattered. Unless such authorial intrusions will be common, I wouldn't recommend keeping the first person. Even if they are, I'd advise finding some way to introduce the concept of the narrator's commentary much earlier than this, so it doesn't catch readers by surprise once they're at the point of settling into your rhythm and style. This doesn't fit the pattern you've established, so it breaks the flow (even though it comes during a transition).
And just a quick note: the shift to present tense in "return" is also a little jostling.

"...hunched up in a dark corner at the back of an old bus; crawling along the bumpy country roads."

Two things. First, that's a semi-colon misuse. Second, who's doing the crawling? The man, or the bus? By normal reading, it would appear that the man is both sitting in the back of the bus and crawling along the road in a similar fashion to Schrodinger's cat (except since he's being observed, such a state is no longer possible). So I'd recommend making the "crawling..." part a new sentence, directly describing the bus itself. Be careful not to make your sentences too long.

"He sits in the wake of..."

Verb tense shift. That should be "sat", since the entire piece has been in past tense.

"her fly-away red hair almost as..."

Um, what does "fly-away" mean? Do you mean her hair is trying to detach itself from her skull and disperse into the wind? I know that's not what you're going for, but that description just threw me at first. I'd recommend finding another description (unless you like it. It is doable, but just...unusual enough to perhaps cause readers to stop and go "What???").

"Hawk breathed in deeply, and touched his palm to the window, rubbing at it so he could see outside."

Minor things with this one. Get rid of the first comma, and condense the "touched his palm...see outside" to "and rubbed the window with his hand (or palm) to see outside." It's much more concrete and readable that way.

"He could see his blurred reflection in the window..."

I'm going to tell you what I've been told (and what is known as the Mirror Cliche): don't use a mirror or mirror equivalent to describe a character's looks. If we need to know, then either briefly tell us or work the description in somehow else. Honestly I wonder if our characters ever get tired of being forced to look at their reflections (which might just be a good concept to include in KoB).

"...a flame was dancing within them; like a gypsy"

Misuse of semi-colon. That just needs a comma there.

"to trail down his spine ... cart-wheeling towards his wrist"

And we have ellipses there why? Just use a comma. It flows better.

"When he opened his palm, it was to find a flame..."

The passive voice here felt a little off. Why couldn't "he find [found, technically] a flame"?

"he looked around quickly, hesitatingly"

Hesitantly fits better than hesitatingly here.

"he hadn't been dreaming it up."

Again, there's a superfluity of words. Why do we need the "it up" there? What does that add? If anything, it breaks up the flow by having two extra words where we expect the sentence to end.

"A vacuum that not even his scattered thoughts could fill, as exhaustion finally overwhelmed him, and the bus teetered on through the night."

Short stylistic fragments are okay, especially when they're connected to paragraphs. But fragments long enough to be easily converted into sentences and have the length, look, and feel of a sentence ought to be sentences. I'd recommend tagging this onto the end of the preceding paragraph and changing it into a sentence (however you wish to do that).

Hope this helps!

Pompadour says...

Thanks for the amazing review! I was wondering if you know any sites off the internet that give tutorials on the usage of semicolons and other form of punctuation, because I noticed that I've made several mistakes in this piece. I'm quite an ignoramus when it comes to proper punctuation. Heh.

I made a few edits, and thanks again!

Try this. Or this. Basically any OWL site works.

Glad to help!

Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:09 am
PiesAreSquared says...

Alright, quoting to begin soon:

Firstly about the joke. I understood it, but the pun was not what I was getting at.

...But Ann Bobby had been watching him like a hawk, and that wasn't even punny....

What is with punny? puny? funny? I don't get it.

When I say the rest of your mistakes, I'm saying there's not many mistakes left, for this piece.

...But Hawk was, in fact, wide-awake, and trying incredibly hard to erase the memory of a certain woman he had left perched on her doorstep, her fly-away red hair almost as bright as the flames he had so often seen dance in the darkness of the night; the same flames he saw whenever he closed his eyes......

This is a second example of a too long sentence. I think that's the only other one I saw.

Repeats happened only once, and if I remember correctly your long sentences got me out of breath. I didn't want unintentional points so I didn't quote them....Strange I can't find the comma mistake I remember from yesterday....maybe my mind is playing tricks on me!

PiesAreSquared wrote a review...

Madam de Pompadour! How nice to see the girl in the fireplace writing stories! Anyway, let me get on with this review!

This is a rather interesting piece and I will give my view of this below!

...Or so Hawk thought as he pulled his hood over his face, the dark fabric shielding his eyes from view...

Try not to begin the first paragraph of the first chapter of a story with "Or." It's so...powerless! Striking that and "so" out greatly improves the story, in my opinion.

...He knew his eyes were a dead giveaway of who he was and where he came from, and even though his stop wasn't for another five hours, he wasn't willing to take any chances...

This is much too long a sentence. In fact, there are two major subjects in it. Split it up!

... He had tripped over one of the money-plants by the back door and was sprawled out on the steps leading down from the porch, legs sticking up comically...

This is basically repeating the previous paragraph. Try something different. Perhaps: The money-plants he had tripped over now sprawled out over the steps leading from the porch.

...The name had stuck and she had been Ann Bobby to him ever since....

"had" is a redundancy after "name."

This comparison does not make any sense to me. I don't know what is being conveyed. Could you explain?

The rest of the mistakes that occur here are in similar form to what I have described and commented on above.

I like how this ends, it really leaves the reader wanting more of the story!

Keep it up! Write More!

Pompadour says...

Thanks for the review! If it isn't much of a bother, could you pin-point the places where I've made the rest of the "similar" mistakes so I can correct them later?
The sentence where I say "Ann Bobby had been watching him like a hawk.." I'm actually trying to play with words. You know the phrase: "to watch someone like a hawk?" That was what I was trying to say, except that it was a pun because the main character's name is Hawk. It's basically a lame joke. Heh. *grins sheepishly*
I really appreciate the review! :D

ZLYF says...

Sure, I'll quote them all ASAP

megsug wrote a review...

Hello Pompadour~
Here as requested. At this moment your work is featured. Congratulations!
You have a lot of reviews, so I don't know how long this is going to be, but we'll see how this goes.

I applaud you on your description. Especially of characters. It's very nice.

Even as he said the words, he knew she wasn't listening; bent over the green monstrosity that had once been a plant, she picked up a piece of the broken clay and gave an absent-minded, ‘Mm hmm.’ It was always the same. Even though he’d been living with his aunt for five years, she still persisted in calling him by his outlandish real name. She seemed to be oblivious to the fact that he hated it. Either that or she just enjoyed being sadistic.

So, the second part of this paragraph is kinda confusing because she actually says his name for the first time somewhere around four paragraphs before that. It's an abrupt change because really the reader is expecting you to flow from her not listening to some more information on that bit of their relationship rather than jumping back to names.

What frightened him was his eyes, though. He had always been afraid of them. They seemed unreal – alien, somehow; a vivid green-gold with a tiny silver swirl at the edge of his irises.

I find this fear of his own eyes suspends belief. Since they are his and he's seen them in the mirror his entire life, he probably wouldn't be afraid of them. Weird eyes are cool, but the person who has them most likely thinks they aren't weird. He might resent them because it calls negative attention to him, but I, as the reader, have a hard time accepting his fear.

In general, you seem to have a habit of explaining what actions have already shown which makes your story slower. Slow stories can be fun, but here there's no use.
One such example:
-The narration of how he hates his name in the paragraph I quoted above. He's already shown he's not happy with his name in his dialogue. Instead of adding half a paragraph of narration, you could just add a bit of action to his sigh like him wrinkling his nose or rolling his eyes to emphasize his irritation.

I'm not entirely sure why you decided to start on the bus, jump to the house and then go back to the bus. The house is a good enough place to start, and the jumps can create rather stiff transitions.

One last thing, as fantastic as your character descriptions are, your setting description can be a little lacking. Though we know Ann Bobby had a yellow house, we don't know where it was located. Is Hawk used to the quiet country? A friendly suburb? The bustling city? And what terrain is he riding through? Can he see the silhouettes of trees or the flat nothingness of fields? Are the roads smooth, bumpy? Are there street lights? I want to be there.

Okeydokey!

I rather liked Ann Bobby. I'm almost sad to know that she's not part of the story. It says something for your characterization to develop a minor character pretty well in the first chapter.
This fire talent is quite intriguing. I wonder where it will take us next...

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact me.
See you,
Megs~

Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:18 am
TakeThatYouFiend wrote a review...

This is a brilliant cliffhanger Pompadora, and certainly leaves me wondering.
Firstly I would like to say that if this has anything to do with the Arthurian legends and the wizard Merlin you could not have made it more obvious. If I were you and this is I would take out the reference to his real name. Hawk is a good name.
I would change the title, as although we have encountered the word Hawk, we have yet to learn of the eye.Don't try the clique of the word fire in a different language either.
I would like a little more detail on Hawk's background, but I will assume that is coming at a later date.
Hope this helps,
Take That You Fiend!

Pompadour says...

Thanks for reviewing! And no, it doesn't have anything to do with Camelot, Arthur or the Knights of the round table. There is a reason behind Hawk's name that I shall reveal later on, though. I also felt like that certain name was an attention-grabber, so I just went with it.
I definitely need to change the title, but I think I'll leave that for the end. I don't really know what it should be, to be honest. All in good time. :D

OK, That's fine! (insert favourite smiley here)

Pompadour says...

This is my favourite smiley: :twisted:
Oh, and just to let you know - chapter two is up! :)

Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:37 pm
TimmyJake wrote a review...

Timmyjake here to leave you a review!!

Usually I am busy doing my work as an agent keeping Mr. Anderson at bay, but today I took a break. Mr. Smith is giving me a breather for a while. *Takes off sunglasses* Lets get down to the story now... :D

Or so Hawk thought as he pulled his hood over his face, the dark fabric shielding his eyes from view.

I loved your opening sentence. It drew me in to your story, making me want to continue reading... But your second one makes it seem like an extension of the first sentence. Or so does that for you. If that was what you were trying to do, then awesome! I just thought I would point it out for you...

Those were the four words that would haunt him for the rest of his life, because he would never see his aunt again

This is an example of something that is present a few times in your story. It is something that I do alllll the time. This story is about that character, yes? Then make it seem like it is HIS thoughts, not a narration of what is happening. So I will just show you an example of what I mean, drawing from that sentence. He knew those words would haunt him for the rest of his life, because he would never see his aunt(or her) again. Just an example, don't take it as gospel.
Moving on! :D

He turned on his heel and half-jogging, half-walking, he left the little yellow house behind him forever. --Just a short note: I think this would read better if you said something like, He turned on his heel and jogged slowly away, leaving the little yellow house behind him forever

He would return someday, ten years in the distant future, but there would only be dust and ash to greet him. He would call to the barren winds, to a home he had given up so long ago. But the winds would never answer, and life would go on, leaving only a scar that would remind him of his “terrible mistake” for the rest of his life. ---This is a story of his life, yes? Well, tell us about what is happening NOW, not what is going to happen in ten years. Tell us later, at the end of the book.

But now we return to a hooded young man in an old-leather seat, in a dark corner at the back of an old bus, where he sits in the wake of his own silence, mulling over his past and anticipating the purpose with which he has set out to scour the world. --This is one sentence... Way too long. Break it up a bit, I think.

window had all fogged up. ---[I]was fogged up would work better there, I think

His hands began to quake---Did you mean shake?

One thing I noticed now that I have finished it is that the entire story is written in a narrative tone... Rather than if it was being told as to what he felt and thought. So if that is the way you are going to write it, than a few of the spots I critiqued it take back. ;)

Ok, so now that I have critiqued it to hell, I can tell you how awesome it is! I am sorry if this seemed a bit... harsh. I didn't mean for it to come out as that! You have a beautiful style of writing. I just love it. It is so captivating! And your ending was wonderful! I like the relationship between the aunt and Hawk, although I would have liked to see a bit more of it... Perhaps you can throw flash-backs of his into the story as you go... Just another crazy idea of mine! :D Good luck with this! I hope you finish it! btw, its pretty awesome of you to write this for your brother as a gift. That is a lot of work!
~Timmyjake

Pompadour says...

Thanks for the brilliant review! I've made the necessary edits and I was thrilled to receive an in-depth critique because story-telling isn't really my forte. And yes, I will be having flashbacks ... maybe a couple of letters, you'll see. ;) This really helped, so thanks a bunch! :D

timmyjake says...

No problem! You're welcome! :D

timmyjake says...

my older reviews are so terrible...

Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:10 pm
Dragoon120 wrote a review...

There are not any mistakes, as far as I can tell after reading it over multiple times. I liked how you described how he is different, and what he feels about being different. Very appealing to read, and well-detailed. As far as my personal opinion is, in the very least. Nice flashback as well, smooth transition between present and past.
Hooked from the beginning, and cannot wait to read more.

Pompadour says...

Thanks for the review! Ooh, and welcome to YWS! :D

Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:53 am
TriSARAHtops wrote a review...

If you hadn't said that you had written this at 2 at night, I wouldn't have known, because frankly, this piece is good for any time of the say. The writing is good, I couldn't spot any spellimg errors and it is an interesting plot line. The descriptions were excellent, and you gave just the right of information to create a good balance of suspense.

I don't think that the flashforward where you talk about him returning to the house but it's in ashes was really necessary, but that might be personal taste as much as anything.

Um, I really don't have much to complain about here. All I can think of is that when I first read through I noticed that there were a few overly long sentences that maybe could have been split into two, but looking back over I can'tfind them again, so maybe keep that in mind, but it isn't much of a problem.

Great work, and looking forward to reading more.

Pompadour says...

Thanks for reviewing!

Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:53 am
GreenTulip wrote a review...

I like the idea of this story. It is creative, and I love how you mention what is different about Hawk. The one thing that I love is the fact that even though you mention what it wrong, you do not simply come out and say what it is. I love the fact of how you easily slid into a flashback, and managed to pull it back to the present. It is a good way to do that. Overall the chapter is good, but some of the grammar may need fixed. I am writing this at 10 at night, on a night before I go back to school- so I can't catch it all when I am this tired. Good job once more on the chapter. I am hooked into the story just from this chapter, and I can not wait to read more.

Pompadour says...

Thank you for the review! I've made a few edits and will be posting chapter two pretty soon. :)

“I'd much rather be someone's shot of whiskey than everyone's cup of tea.”
— Carrie Bradshaw