z

Young Writers Society



Silver dawn

by Laure


[This is a poem dedicated to Rye: My one week old black moor whom passed away this morning. I'm sorry, so very sorry I couldn't take better care of you. Rest in peace, dear Rye.]


At five, a series of soft coons

Dragged me out of the warm cocoon

Unravelled the silky threads

And left me by the window sill

[]

From there, I gazed through a haze of glass

As wisps of orange flower fell upon

A forest of rosy hues

While columns of light streamed down from above

Spinning a story of silver moths and frosty beams

[]

At six, a series of shrill screams

Snap me into the haze of glass

And I watch silently

As the doctors try and bring me back

[]

But yet I was already far gone

Into a world that spoke of a

Silver dawn


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
14 Reviews


Points: 320
Reviews: 14

Donate
Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:12 pm
View Likes
Citrus17 wrote a review...



Aww, this was sad. I'm getting a black moor for my birthday this weekend, they are such cute little things, what did you name yours? I'm really sorry it died and I'm sure it wasn't your fault. This poem was packed with emotion, sadness and life. It was so amazingly written with lines as capturing as your wording. It pulled at my heart strings and left me feeling sad. It's amazing you can ease such emotions in to your readers so easily with words. Your talent is amazingly strong and so clever. I want to read more.




Laure says...


I'm flattered, thank you once again for your kind reviews!



Citrus17 says...


You're so welcome!



User avatar
89 Reviews


Points: 1028
Reviews: 89

Donate
Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:11 pm
View Likes
Karzkin wrote a review...



Hey, sorry it's been so long, I totally forgot that you asked me to do this.

Ok, so it's alright, I see where you're going with this. You have some good technique, but it could always use refinement. First, let's talk about line breaks. Where you break the lines has a very big effect on the whole poem. At their most basic, you can talk about line breaks in terms of being hard or soft, and dynamic or static. Basically, a soft break is one that occurs after a punctuation mark or a noun (i.e. most of the breaks in this poem), and a hard break is one that occurs after anything else, usually verbs, adverbs, or adjectives. Dynamic breaks are breaks that affect the line immediately following, usually occurring after adverbs or verbs, and static breaks are breaks that do not, usually occurring after particles and conjunctions. Basically, hard and dynamic breaks serve to increase pacing, and soft and static breaks decrease pacing. The harder and/or more dynamic a break, the more it increases pacing, and vice versa for the softer/more static. The really good poets know when a certain type of break would be best, and knowing that takes practice and experience. But a good rule of thumb is start with soft breaks, put in more hard breaks in the middle, then go back to soft in the last quarter or so. Also, unless you really know what you're doing, avoid really static breaks (e.g. breaking after 'a' 'it' 'from' 'an' etc.). This poem is all soft breaks. While it's readable enough, it makes it sort of boring. There's nothing driving it, nothing making me hungry for the next line. You know what I'm saying? Try mixing things up a bit.

Ok, the second thing I want to talk about is imagery (wouldn't be a poetry review without it). What you have goes ok, but it could be better. What you need is development. Don't just drop an image and move on, really take the time to flesh it out. Like here:

From there, I gazed through a haze of glass
As wisps of orange flower fell upon
A forest of rosy hues
While columns of light streamed down from above
Spinning a story of silver moths and frosty beams

'Haze' is an odd way to describe glass. But that's ok, if you justify it. WHY is it hazy? Tell us a bit more about the glass. Or the flowers. What are the flowers like aside from orange? What species? Tall? Crooked stems? Round leaves or pointy? Stuff like that is what separates the good poems from the rest. Details, yo.

Finally, a few things about clarity. First, the numbers. Are 'five' and 'six' referring to the time of day? Or the speaker's age? Or something else? I dunno. Clarify that. Secondly, what is a 'coon'? I only know it as a brand of cheese, and a pejorative term for a black person.

Ok, that's all I have for now. Plenty for you to work on.

K.




User avatar
433 Reviews


Points: 13351
Reviews: 433

Donate
Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:44 pm
View Likes
TakeThatYouFiend wrote a review...



This really is rather beautiful, and the dedication at the beginning is really nice. I think what I liked most was the phrasing, it was almost song-like, and very melodious.
I find it rather hard to understand, but I didn't let that get in the way of my enjoyment. Perhaps a footnote explaining bits of it for some of your stupider readers. (Me)
I liked the last line, it has a sort of finality to it, and they seem like two words that both make the reader picture beauty, so the work really well together.
Keep up the good work,
Take That You Fiend!
(For review requests see "The Poetry Person" in "Will review for food.)




Laure says...


You are not stupid! Is just me with my insane rambling. Basically, it talks about someone who first gets waken up by bird calls and she stands to see the sunrise. The bits in italic were an abstract metaphor of heaven. I know is weird. The last two stanza speaks of the heart monitor announcing the end of her life. And well, the last. She's gone into heaven. Thank you for taking time to read this! :)





Oh yes! That is absolutely beautiful! Amazing. ..



Laure says...


Thank you, that is very flattering. :)



Random avatar

Points: 4183
Reviews: 94

Donate
Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:44 pm
View Likes
defiantAuthoress wrote a review...



Wow! I really like this. It's very deep and well-written. Also, I'm really sorry about your moor. I hope that this review helps you feel better.
First, just to let you know, did you mean "croons" in the first line, instead of "coons"? I wasn't sure about that.
The strongest verse is probably the last one, it really sums up the poem and has a really strong feeling to it. However, the rhyme scheme throughout the poem is very sporadic, and I'm not sure what you were trying to do with it. Maybe solidifying the rhyme scheme might help me get more into the poem?
Lastly, why is that second paragraph italicized? I wasn't sure.
Otherwise, this poem has a lot of good potential! Your imagery is magnificent. Thank you so much for writing!




Laure says...


Yup, I did mean that! As for the rhyme pattern, I wasn't really going for any rhyme but I should probably have. The second paragraph was italicized because it speaks of a different matter to the rest of the poem. I italized it to make it important. Thank you so much for taking time to read this, I will take this all into consideration for my future works. :)




A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language.
— W.H. Auden