The Skateboarder

by wallflower16

The lanes perpetuate beneath you,

A cracked and inconsistent treadmill.

On four worn and precarious wheels,

You weave between bystanders

Who shun the gaze of

This generation’s clichéd “delinquent”.

With a daring grin and devilish laugh

You rush into the storm

Allowing the rest to blur

Allowing it all to become a dream.

Protected,

Almost,

By this trance,

You fly above the street

In your youth and your sneakers.

Today you are strong.

Passionate.

Free.

But where are you tomorrow?

Storybraniac wrote a review...

Hey there Storybraniac here to review marquee style for paint the roses red. I love marquee. This is a very interesting piece. I loved everything but as usual the last four lines were my favourite. I really liked the way you described the skateboard and the path the skateboarder is going (I'm not sure what I'm talking about). And you need to put the commas where you are supposed to put. As said by Clarity. Anyway this is a very good piece. A definite like from me. Keep writing. ---storybraniac

Clarity wrote a review...

Hello there wallflower, Clarity here to review!

I enjoyed reading this. It wasn't too short and it wasn't so long that it was hard to read; it was a good length. Well, good enough to get your story down in an awesome way.

One thing that bothered me was your format. I see this happen an awful lot with many users works. A little reminder: for a two space paragraph gap, just click [enter] but when you want a single space enter, (where you don't get the separation between stanzas/lines) click [shift+enter].

Now on to the actual content of the poem.

The lanes perpetuate beneath you,

A cracked and inconsistent treadmill.

I like the use of "perpetuate" and "treadmill" together. A treadmill goes on forever, until you make it stop, that is. But, I think this was a very clever use of words. I got the impression of this being a tough road to walk on, but it still goes on forever. A metaphor for life or some sort.

On four worn and precarious wheels,

You weave between bystanders

Who shun the gaze of

This generation’s clichéd “delinquent”.

Here is where I begin to see how the title links in with the poem. I really liked this part. You captured how many people of today look at people who ride a skateboard. Honestly, whenever I got to town, where there is a skate park, the people there get some horrible looks. And you, hit the nail on the head with this stanza. I also like how you use a skateboarder as this "rebellious spirit" because of the reputation they seem to have of being "rebellious".

Protected,

Almost,

By this trance,

You fly above the street

In your youth and your sneakers.

I'm not sure that all of these commas are needed. I reckon that the last comma could be a semi-colon instead. It just gets a little boring when you use the same punctuation over and over again. I do it occasionally and generally get people telling me to use varied punctuation. Other than that, it's a nice stanza.

Overall, I really like your poem. It was a lovely read and I like the way you end the poem with a question. Even though it is rhetorical; it was a good way to end the poem.

Pro's
-Content
-Word choice
-Practically everything.

Con's
-Punctuation
-Format

You can easily fix your format and you can easily vary your punctuation.

Good luck with future writing, Happy review day and Happy YWSing,

-Clarity.

PiesAreSquared wrote a review...

Hey wallflower! I love this poem. It really is well written. There is strong rhythm and a good description. Just a few picks.

...This generation’s clichéd “delinquent”....

Period comes before a quotation mark.

I especially like the rhythm at 11-12 and 17-18....(3)-(2) ---(3)-(1). They really compliment each other!

I'm surprised that this piece did not make it past three "likes."

Regarding the words themselves, I think "precarious" in the second line does not give the best punch to this line. "Perilous" looks better to be honest. Other than that, I strongly like this piece, and would do it again!

Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:41 pm
MrHolmes wrote a review...

Hello there. This homes, saying that I really enjoyed this piece of poetry. It was a lot of fun to read and though it was a short poem, I got a lot from it and it seemed to take on more meanings then one. I like how there was use of one worded lines, it sums it up well. If there is one thing I dislike about it is the use of punction in some lines and not in others, like With a daring grin and devilish laugh maybe should have a comma at the end, also there appears to be capatilization where it is not neccesary.
Who shun the gaze of
This generation’s clichéd “delinquent”.
The T in this does not need a capital, as each word beginning the poem does not need a capital. All in all it is a fairly well piece of poetry.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:36 pm
TinyJarStoredDreams wrote a review...

Hey Tiny here!

First off I would not be surprised if this made it into the literary spotlight, it is truly wonderful. I do have a couple suggestions though. On line 8 takeout the dash at the end of blur. Also on line 10, I would separate protected, almost, and by the trance into 3 different lines. This is really good for a newbie like you, my first poem was horrible to be honest! The last line I feel like is something everyone can relate to. Nobody really knows what's coming for you tomorrow and everyday after that. Thank you for this fantastic poem.

Keep Writing 8)

wallflower16 says...

I'm glad you like it! And thanks so much for your response and insights! Those are great suggestions and definitely help with the flow of my poem. :)

Nouns can verb very well actually, they verb better than some verbs do.
— winterwolf0100