16+

In My Boots.

by InspiredLight

That dusty arena was all too familiar in its glory. The dimmed lights set off dark shadows that created somewhat of a somber mood as I walked over toward the chutes I called my home that night. You could almost hear the ghosts of angry bulls pushing against the gates, snorting, stomping and hitting their horns, the ghosts of fans still there screaming out my name and cheering me on for that eight second ride, lingering, refusing to depart from the air where they hung as if suspended by puppet strings. I could almost feel the warmth of all the bodies packed into the seats to come watch my ride, feeling to nervous tension as they all watched in amazement as they cheered me on for all of it. I could hear the thoughts of little cowboys saying one day that’s going to be me. Just as I had when I was their age. I could almost feel the hot breath from the bulls as they waited to be let loose. This was what I lived and breathed for. I was convinced it was in my blood - my soul.

As I came close to the chutes, I tipped down my hat as if to acknowledge these ghosts before casually leaning against the gates and lighting myself a cigarette, the amber light from the lighter seemed to be the light of my life, one small flame burning on will for one purpose. I inhaled and let the smoke curl out of my nostrils which tenderly seemed to kiss my face. I couldn’t stop thinking about moments. Not just any moments, but moments that made me. Moments that meant something. I started to realize I didn’t have too many of them. Bull riding was all I ever knew, or at least that’s what I convinced to believe all these years. I pushed away most memories and hid them back in my mind, like children hid broken things from their parents. I damn sure knew where they were, but I never considered bringing them back to the surface and really pondering the again. That was until now.

This life that I made for myself, this rough and tough cowboy I was. It took all I ever had. My addiction left the one woman I had ever loved lonely at night hoping for a call or just to hear my voice. Needless to say, I never called… After I had lost her from my negligence, I knew I would never feel the same about another woman. Then when she was gone I had nothing, nothing but bulls. So I fell headfirst into the outlaw scene. I began drinking avidly and got into fights with men over random women I didn’t care for at all. Night after night, it was the same thing. And really didn’t matter what those women looked like or who they were, just that they showed interest in me and my intentions.

I had the scars to prove my reputation. One above my right eye where the biker got a jump on me and split my eyebrow with the big gaudy ring he was wearing – an obnoxious cliché skull. I had a small fishhook scar on my cheek from when I got into a tussle with some self-absorbed asshole who was hitting on the same woman as me. The bastard smashed a bottle off the bar and went after me with it. Through all of this, I never backed down from the fights. I always knew there was just one difference between me and the other man I was fighting. These women were just some drunken decision I knew I would regret in the morning. I just couldn't stand losing. Maybe one of them would have married one of those poor girls. But I didn't care. I wasn’t physically capable of caring for those women, they did it to themselves. All they wanted was the same thing I did.

They were buckle bunnies going after all the rodeo boys trying to get lucky. This is why I probably I can’t remember the women clearly; just everything that lead up to getting to whatever hotel room I had at the time. If I didn’t bring them to the hotel where I promptly had a cab pick them up within the hour after the deed was done, I perfected art of sneaking out of whatever room I ended up in. If you couldn’t tell. I never really loved anyone but one woman, she was all I would have ever needed, and I knew that. I should have called or visited. I knew she was there waiting. But my pride ripped me back like bungee cords, letting me get only so close before being snapped back away. I didn’t leave on a good note, and I knew I was wrong. I could never admit that.

So my days were full of broken bones and black eyes, my nights lonely hotels with cold linens and beds. It destroyed me inside, chewed me up and spit me out. I became as cold as ice without her. I had thought so many thoughts about going back for her, turning around and dropping all I worked for just to be with her, I wanted to. I was ready to hang up my hat and marry the only woman I ever loved, like I promised her, but something always stopped me, some fear that settled in the back of my brain that was never really anything I could explain.

I was afraid of not being good enough for her, amongst other things – this only made that feeling stronger, I wanted her to have only the best of everything. I wasn't the same farm boy anymore. I was hardened, cold and mean. I would never be the man she remembered. One night, as I packed my bag in yet another seedy hotel room that stank of beer and cigarettes from my recent self-destructive tirade, I had it in my mind I was done with all this; I was going home to her. I had planned to get flowers, her favorites which were lilies and a ring on the way there, this was it.

I had enough money with me to keep the sitting pretty until I could find some work. I was ready to turn back, 50 miles south, an hour and thirty minutes. I wasn’t that far gone, but something stopped me as I hopped into my truck. I looked at her necklace hanging from my shifter and her picture by my speedometer, inhaling deeply. I could almost smell her, she always smelled like strawberries. That’s when I knew I couldn’t go back. I wasn’t good enough for her, I would never be. The next ride was six hours away, 250 miles. So as that unexplainable feeling took hold of me, it seemed to take hold of the wheel too. I went north to my ride, only letting myself look back into the rear-view once or twice before turning up my radio and pulling my hat low in small pity for myself and the life I would never make with her. The life I wanted so desperately I could literally feel my heartstrings pulling away and snapping every time I thought about it. I would never forget that day. It still haunts me to my very core.

I also started thinking about my Pa. That was the only man who’s ever been able to throw me around, the only man I could lay my guilty and sinning conscious on without judgment. I always wanted to be rough and tough just like him, I looked up to the man. As I grew up, my father pushed me to do everything I wanted. I wanted to be a bull rider, the next Lane Frost. That was always my dream; I used to go out on a barrel my father strung up for me between the two oak trees in the back yard and practice with my Pa every day. I would get on little bull calves and try my hardest to set my feet and hold on just long enough for my father to make a buzzing noise, these were my favorite memories.

I will admit, I’m self-destructive. After I lost everything it seems like my drive for life and making one just went down the drain. All I did was ride. Now, if you have never been to a rodeo, you should know that it’s not a walk in the park. There’s no guarantee that I’ll come out of the ring alive. Maybe sometimes I was wishing I didn’t. I never really thought much about anything I did. I just knew that I was trying to be the best bull rider out there, and I’ll be damned if I didn’t achieve that goal. Reflecting back on it now, I would have done anything to have been the worst. I would have had August. Maybe we woulda had some little babies running around too on our little ranch with dogs and horses. The works. But there’s no reason on dwelling. It is what it is.

I wasn’t always like this. I wasn’t cold. At one time, I would have gave up anything to have stayed with my girl and my Pa and Ma. But life has a funny way of throwing a curveball at you and making you out to be the way you are. You could say instead of taking everything in stride I fought against all I knew. That’s where my life story begins.

My life started out normal, like everyone else. I was born on a Sunday morning where the sun was shining and birds were chirping right on my own family farm. My ma and pa loved me just the same as the rest of my siblings. I was the youngest of three and amazingly the only boy. I never met my sisters, though. Before I was born both of them died. Annie - the second youngest, took pneumonia while my ma was pregnant with me and died. After Annie died, Shannon who was the oldest up and disappeared. Ma and Pa never knew if she ran away or if something real bad happened to her.

After all the bad that happened to them, they were extra careful with me. They never really talked too much about Annie or Shannon, but I knew they were still hurt by losing them. Sometimes when you love someone so much, it's hard to accept that they are in a better place. The pictures of them still sat in the same place they always did in our house, right on the shelf in the living room. I remember staring at it for hours wondering what both of them were like.

I never could really be as sad as my parents about them, I never knew them. But I felt bad. They were both beautiful. Annie had blue eyes like me and my Pa. A curly mop on top of her head that was the color of sunshine like Ma. On her face she had one of those beauty marks, right below her right eye. She had such a beautiful smile. Shannon seemed like her polar opposite with Pa's dark hair like me and in all her pictures she just shyly smirked in a sideways motion. I came to think that I was the two of them combined.

I was always shy, I never really could talk to many people without blushing or looking at my shoes. People used to tell me though, that I had such a nice smile. Just like Annie. It was a lot of pressure being the only kid in a family that had lost so much. I wasn't allowed to walk home by myself from school or go out with my friends and play in the woods. I worked all day with my Pa on the farm and I never once questioned it. That's where my passion for animals started.

"Bo, get out here boy!" yelled my Pa one day. I was around the age of six I believe.

I came running as fast as my little feet would take me.

"I wanna teach you sometime son, but you best promise me you ain't gunna tell your momma about it!"

I nodded, looking up at man who created me. He was big and strong and there was a mischievous twinkle in his light blue eyes as he smiled.

"Alright son, follow me."

That was the day my father first put me on a young bull calf and started teaching me how to ride. I was instantly in love with it. My Pa would smile and laugh at me holding on as the little calves ran around and I held on. This was our secret and our passion. He continued to teach me more and more as the days turned into weeks. Soon, I remember him slapping his knee and yelling "Well I'll be damned! You're a natural son!"

It never occurred to me as a child that my father was trying to prepare me to be a bull rider. I was so excited about having my pa proud of me. It made me feel so great, so I tried my hardest to do everything he instructed me to do. I hid the practice from my Ma and I continued also working on the farm and helping my Pa. I was in heaven on earth and for a few years, that was all we did and I was content with it. As I grew older he taught me more techniques to stay steady on a bull. He created a practice bull by stringing up a blue barrel between two trees in our yard and he would have me practice that way too.

By then my mother had caught on to what he was doing. She never said anything about it, but I knew it worried her. She was a very fragile woman and never spoke out much. In little ways she would remind me she was worried.

"Be careful with your father today Bo, we don't want you gettin' hurt now." or "Bo, you best not be doin' anything stupid with your Pa."

I would just smile and walk on out to meet my father.

But it wasn’t long before my father started getting tired easier and easier. I would have to find other alternatives to the bull calves and barrel, this is where I began to break horses, only accepting the most challenging ones just for the hell of it. I never made anyone pay a cent. You can now imagine I became strong and broad, just like I had hoped. I was finally amounting up to my father. But that was the most bittersweet moment in my life because that’s exactly when my pa started to wither before me, everyday looking more like an old man dying than the strong man I grew up knowing. I never thought anything of it; people grow old and wither every day, right? He probably just seemed smaller because I had gotten so big and strong. It wasn’t until I was about 17 until I found the reasoning behind my father’s fading figure. You see, I’m not a bad man, I just never realized what kind of consequences came with my decisions.

Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:19 am
BluesClues wrote a review...

First of all, I really like the switch in narration from third person to first person. I think it was a good choice; by doing it, you've brought out more of Bo's voice, which immediately makes his character come more alive.

I never considered bringing them back to the surface and really pondering the again. That was until now.

This is fine for a transition in the flashbacks that will make up this particular story. However, I think we need to see--like, Bo straight-up tells us that he doesn't like to really look at his memories, yet he's decided to do so in this moment. And we don't really get to see what pushed him to do so. Just, "Normally I don't like looking at my memories, but I'm all alone in an arena with nothing else to do, so why not?"

The problem with this is that without his motivation it seems like he's just deciding to think about his past because he's aware that the reader is there and now is as good a time as any to think about the past. Instead, give him a good reason. The empty arena--which is a very nice starting image for the story--can help, but there should be more. Maybe he sees something specific in the arena that reminds him of a particular bull-ride, which can in turn start the flow of memories all the way back to when he first became interested in bull-riding.

I like how you use the barfight paragraph to describe Bo by describing some of the old fight-scars he's got. That gives us something unique about his appearance, although we still don't have much to go on for what he looks like overall. However, while this is definitely an improvement on the old bit, I'm going to say it again: you need to draw this out in scenes. It's fine for Bo to sum up some of the things he's going to tell us, but a piece this long that's almost entirely summary is going to lose readers pretty quick; most people don't have the patience for paragraphs this long, not even broken up by dialogue.

I never really loved anyone but one woman, she was all I would have ever needed, and I knew that. I should have called or visited.

You also tend to get a bit too repetitious with some of the information you give us. You've already mentioned, by the point of this quote, that Bo only ever loved one woman, that his addiction to rodeo led him to let her down, that she left him and then he became a mindless rodeo/sex-with-strange-women machine or whatever. And that he regrets losing her. Telling us this over and over again isn't going to make us care or feel sorry for Bo. If anything, it kind of makes him sound whiny. Like, Dude, you screwed up, there's probably no fixing it, either move on or go do something about it.

Why did he feel like he wasn't good enough for her? Obviously there's the rodeo obsession, but if he's really that obsessed then it seems like his love of rodeo wouldn't lead him to think he's not good enough for her. So what other reason does he have? Is she from a good family? Was she always really kind to him, always there for him, and then he left her waiting, and then she'd forgive him and keep being there for him even though he didn't deserve it? Again, just telling us "I was afraid I wasn't good enough for her" isn't enough. Give us a reason or two as to why he thought he wasn't good enough.

Mostly what I need to say here is more of what I said in the last review: shorter paragraphs, broken up with dialogue, and scenes. So much of this--it's definitely an improvement, because you've got more of a voice with Bo now thanks to the viewpoint switch, and you've got some good similes going on and a bit more description--but this still reads more like character notes than a real story, because it's just a summary of everything that happened with Bo and August. EXPAND ON IT, YOU.

Thank you! :) I'm working on trying to set up more. Getting into more detail. I have sticky notes covering all of my laptop about it haha. :)

BluesClues says...

Glad I can help :)

Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:47 am
Iggy wrote a review...

Hello there!

First off, I'll do what Blue decided not to do and point out that your paragraphs are way too long. You really should consider breaking them up, because lengthy paragraphs come off as intimidating and can scare the reviewers away. They're hard to break down and hard to read. Of course, it's merely a suggestion, as you don't have to break them up, but you might attract some wild reviewers if you do so. ;)

And off to the review!

but something always stopped him, some fear that settled in the back of his brain that was never really anything he could explain. This little feeling that he never could explain always stopped him.

You basically repeated yourself twice here, so I suggest you completely cut the second sentence.

he had it in his mind that he was done with all this; he was going home to her.

Add in bolded word.

only letting himself look back into the rearview mirror once or twice before turning up his radio

Add in bolded word.

He remembers dropping the hay bale he had been carrying and running at full speed up to his small childhood house.

I think you mean -- He remembered

The Doctor was happy to oblige and told him to relax,

This isn't Doctor Who, so there's no need to uppercase the Doctor! Change that D to a d.

holding her hand out to Lightening, her seven year old paint horse

I think you mean "Lightning"

He smiled, she was so feisty.

There's two things you can do with this sentence. You can a) swap the comma for a semicolon or b) find a better way to combine the two so it makes a cleaner sentence. An example would be "He smiled at her feistiness." I personally prefer option b, but it's up to you.

“[b]Im[b] so sorry baby, it wasn’t on purpose, I got so caught up in practice

Change to "I'm"

Now that the I've pointed out the minor nitpicks, I'll move on to the biggest one -- commas. Commas, commas, commas. You've got a lot missing and a lot misplaced. I highly suggest you read some articles about grammar and proper use of commas and get yourself well acquainted with them. Here are some articles to read to help you out. Once you learn how to use and when not to use commas, I suggest you thoroughly edit this piece. There are also a lot of run on sentences, so give this a read and try to edit your piece.

I feel like you tried to cram so much stuff into this chapter. You bounced around a lot and it got confusing, trying to see if he was in the present or remembering the past. Slow down! Take your time. Never rush when writing, because then you cause the piece to become distorted and confusing and the flow becomes choppy and uneven. It also throws the reader out of sync and we feel lost, like we're eating your dust as you speed ahead.

Other than that, I think you're off to a great start and I hope you consider continuing this. We learned so much about Bo; about his past and his love for August and his addiction with rodeo riding.

I will reiterate what I said earlier - slow down. Take the time to add in more thoughts and emotions to your characters. You blazed through everything, especially Pa's death and the tragedy didn't hit me as hard as it should've, because I couldn't sympathize with Bo.

Overall, it was a pleasure to read and let me know if you continue it!

-Iggy

Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:00 am
BluesClues wrote a review...

Hi there!

Okay, so instead of going into little details about the writing style and whatnot like I usually do, I have a more general review to give.

At first I was going to tell you that your paragraphs are too long--I mean, that's a stylistic choice, really, but a lot of readers will see big long paragraphs of prose and say, "Never mind." Which I almost did, but then I caught sight of the word "bulls" and thought "Bullfighting?" and kept reading and then got to "riding" and thought "Rodeo!" which is one of the few sports I actually like watching, so I kept reading.

So after reading this, instead I'm going to make a suggestion:

This needs to be a novel.

You tried it as a short story, but I don't think it's working this way. The reason being, you're trying to cram a ton of information and back story in, resulting in these ridiculously long paragraphs as well as a feeling of getting the very top layer of a story instead of an in-depth story with in-depth characters.

The first several paragraphs in particular feel this way because everything that has happened to Bo is summarized rather than shown through scenes. If you want to do the entire story (even as a novel) through flashback, that's fine--but the flashbacks need to be shown, not told.

For example, the second paragraph. You tell us that Bo chased down random bar women and got into fights with their menfolk after losing August (love her name, btdubs). Don't. Instead of just saying "he chased after random bar women," show us an instance of that and just mention in passing "like every other night/this was one of many nights/whatever" to let us know that this is a frequent occurrence. Describe the woman. Why does Bo chase her? Does she resemble August? Or does he go after women who are just her opposite? Is it her brother who fights Bo? Or does he have so little honor that he'll go for a married/otherwise taken woman just as soon as a single woman?

This will help you out in three ways:

1) The story will come alive as we see more of what's happening to Bo rather than simply being told "and then this happened."

2) Instead of simply being a stock cowboy character (cigarettes, alcohol, loose women, someone who uses words like "mosey" and "pa"), Bo will become a real person with depth and feeling and flaws and interests and hobbies and everything else.

3) Because of this, we'll care about Bo rather than being, at best, passively interested in him. You've got a spark: I'm interested because I like rodeo and cowboys, but I don't actually care very much about Bo in particular yet.

What I'd like to see you do is treat this story as a basic outline, character notes, plot notes. Use it as a platform to propel a novel off of. I know that's a scary thought, particularly if you're just used to doing short things, but you've got so much material here that you could easily get a novel out of it.

If you're determined to keep this in short story form, then my suggestion would be to take the most important scene--the scene that the rest of the story builds up to--and rewrite it by itself. Don't cram it full of back story. You'll probably find that you can write the single scene without filling us in on every detail of what happened beforehand. The details we do need can be slipped into the story here and there, rather than existing as long paragraphs of nothing but back story.

You can do this. I know I just gave you a lot of homework (as a future teacher, that's my job), but you can do this. You've got a main character, a feisty love interest (with an awesome name), and, heck, your story is about a guy who's been in rodeos! Like I said, you captured my interest with that alone.

Now you just need to flesh it out.

Write on!
Blue

P.S. Let me know if you do anything with this, because I'd really like to read a revised version.

You have to be a bit of a liar to tell a story the right way.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind