Prayer of Modernity

by jcha92

To my Lord,

Supposed Lord,

Of whom I've been told of,

Taught of, and preached of, repeatedly,

Who is Almighty, all-knowing, all-present,

Pure, good, merciful, and above all else, Love.

-

A prayer I offer, no, perhaps it is something else:

A rambling of sorts, a plea, a complaint so sincere,

An incomprehensible utterance by a sinner, so worthless,

But worth more for You have created me. There!

Already I have found the first paradox, the great conflict

Of sin and worth, of the weight of my soul, weightless,

Heavier with sin, lighter without, pleading for Your mercy.

Yet, I had no say, none of us did, but I shall keep in mind,

This prayer (yes, I have decided, this is a prayer),

Is a prayer from the first person, and not a prayer of advocacy

Of which I so often call upon, without permission, fellow mankind

To validate my claims silently; my Lord, what can I hide

From Your eyes perfect, too splendid for me.

-

How depraved You have made me.

I despise Thee. I despise You, Almighty,

Your concept, idea, Your laws, Your words are bitter poison

To the inner-most depth of my soul, I cringe at Your statutes,

Your entreaties humble and yoke ever-light, I despise,

But can't reject, but must reject to be human filled with err,

For in my err I feel the exhilaration of freedom endless; yet,

You condemn all that I am; no, such condemnation was no act,

Your existence alone condemns mine.

-

Look my Lord, and can You not see,

The depravity of my heart? Depraved, for

Your light makes all things darker, sinners made manifest,

By your justice perfect, but how could I stand in defense

Against your goodness? For you leave me speechless,

Dumbfounded and angry, and so I lead on in great pretension,

And greater loss, for my way is unseen -- You have blinded.

Your light has made my way even more lost.

-

Yet, what have I to boast of? Do you not see, O Lord,

This ashamed sinner, shameless, so brazen and

Proud? Yet for what reason, does he lift his voice to You?

What right? If I were Lord, such blasphemy would be struck,

Merciless, but that would transgress against Your defining Grace,

Your perfection unshakeable, and so I come across the second paradox,

That tempts my mind to wander even further.

Devoid of Your guiding hand, I have let go, lost in questions,

I have no answers for.

-

My Lord, do You not hear my noisy tantrum?

The hypocrisies which echo with each line I write,

My prayer is no prayer, but a sin, a transgression,

One more, to write down within Your holy book,

Of fiery condemnation and wrath,

Oh how I fear Your damning hell, ambiguous,

Your Being unkown. All I desire is

A return, but I have made the journey and crossed

Over, now knowing, more unknowing of everything.

How You have become a blur.

-

What truth remains for so wretched a soul?

A soul with conditional certainty, and as if certainty itself

Wasn't conditional. Yet, I become lost in words, until that which

Cannot be expressed remain, a feeling, a desire, which

Words shouldn't express. For the moment language makes

Attempt to make sense the senseless, its wonder is lost,

And with its loss, all purpose to ponder its worth.

-

My God, my God, have You no mercy?

Or have I lost all sense? All I am is no more,

I am without light and measurement to measure my soul,

Nonexistent worth, all worth fabricated, and yet You watch

My squirming and my inexplicable defiance. I wish to yield,

But what have I to yield?

Before You I am nothing.

-

Lord if I had a prayer, I follow suit in the words

Of those before me, Lord I believe;

Help my unbelief.

And still, won't silence befall me once more?

And in the agony of life obfuscated, won't

I wander once more?

He who has made separate my guilt and I,

Make true the sins I had known,

Make true Your judgment,

Make true all that You are,

And make known to me the truth You have willed.

If You are, surely You will,

I pray there is truth,

I pray you give me the eyes to see such truth,

For I am depraved, lost of all conditions, all context

Good and Bad has escaped me,

Save this wretched sinner,

For I feel I know sin all the more,

And You all the less.

-

Amen

ulala8 wrote a review...

I was caught immediately by the title+57
Sorry. My hand slipped and it was too good to delete.
Anyway, I was caught by the title, but as I kept reading, it became more and more bland and less meaningful for me. I would suggest you trim this down. The Lord's prayer isn't even nearly as long. And that feels long when we're saying it in church. Please trim it down. Other than that, I have no criticisms. Great job! Good luck.

Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:45 pm
barefootrunner wrote a review...

Hi there, jcha! I'm here for a quick review.

The title of your poem struck me at once, so I was very anxious to read it and get to the bottom of it as soon as possible. But when I clicked the link, a series of giant blocks of text appeared! My first point is to make it shorter. Not for the sake of shortness, but for the sake of concentration. You draw out into five lines what could be said in one, which gives your writing a prosaic quality. I can't count how many times I've read the word "depraved". Once is all it should take; move on! This prayer should be lyrical, dramatic! Give it way more concentration. Think of a clever, short way to say something, maybe using an original image, instead of explaining it over a stanza. This is what poetry is all about—writing that says more than it says!

This brings me to my second point. Your poetry seems quite dry. This can be a matter of taste, but I prefer a lot more imagery and careful wording than I've seen here. To make a deep impression, you need to make pictures in people's minds, and by using abstract concepts such as "sin", "truth" and "judgement", you wipe my mind clean! Judgement might be "Your argent scale" (I know, it's bad, but off the top of my head!) and so forth. Give the reader something to visualize :)

Next, on the flow. This is a long, profound poem. You want there to be some connection between the lines and stanzas. To achieve this, you need maybe some rhyme (internal or end) or half-rhymes such as alliteration and assonance. Even anaphora might do. This is way too fragmented—free verse, different line lengths and enormous, it needs something to bind it. Also, no need for dashes between stanzas. Just leave a line open between stanzas and you'll be fine. Those dashes break it up even more!

I know I've just been monstrously harsh, but I did enjoy your poem and I think it has great potential if you just keep distilling it to produce a more concentrated product.

Good luck and keep writing!

barefoot

jcha92 says...

I think that was a very fair criticism.

This was definitely written not to be read and more for my self. In hindsight, this should not have been posted to for others, but kept for myself.

The style of this is definitely not much a poem, but more of a rambling of sorts, with many things left unexplained and unaccounted for. I would find it strange if other people would understand it as I have left many references unaccounted for.

I wouldn't call your review "monstrously harsh," just an honest evaluation.

I appreciate your review,

If you had the time I would love for you to take a look at some of my other works as well!

Warm Regards,

Jcha92

It's always great to get a reply on a review! I think there's a thread stuck away somewhere on YWS for poems you want to post, but don't want reviews for. I might fish it out sometime. Anyway, good to meet you!

Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:40 pm
LastSilverH3r0 wrote a review...

Hey there, Lastsilverh3r0 here to review you!
Now I am a Christian, so I'm not sure what all I can say about the poem in certain contexts that won't be offensive or start something, so I'll just get to the parts that I saw needed the most commentary. Now, at first it seemed as though you were apologizing for something, but then it went on to a shift where suddenly you were angry because you felt like you were unworthy and couldn't escape from sinning, but I don't know if that's how you wanted it to come across. And I see the parts where you comment on the paradoxes that it feels like God sets on the humans, and I thought that that was a good thing to put in there, because many people (including myself) feel many times that while God is good in his ways, He does set that kind of contradiction on some of the things that we are told either from the Bible or in church. I feel, though, that most frustration comes from either your own heart from guiltiness, or because a Pasteur says something that kind of contradicts something that you have always felt as a fact or truth. So yes, I do see a lot of the points in here, and I feel like this is a good way to set frustrations out that many have with God. The only advice I could be able to give is to just hold on there, and trust that in the end He knows everything, and will have an answer for you when you ask him. Other than that, this was a great poem, and I really felt like it came from your heart. So keep up the good work!

jcha92 says...

Thank you for your review, perhaps a clarification was needed. I admit, this was one of my less structured poems.

The paradox isn't one that God commits. It is evoking the idea where due to God's existence, paradoxes appear.

Think of it this way. Without a measurement for height, there would be no tall and short. God is for us that very measurement that brings into fruition the measurement of sin, worth, and soul.

And the poem is not about the guilt one feels, but the guilt one is forced to feel due to the condemnation of the God-context.

His perfection makes all things imperfect in relation. We fall short of his glory, per se. And so, his sinless attribute sets an impossible standard to achieve, so we are sinners, imperfect, condemned to guilt. It is crucial to note, we have not chosen this directly, but the guilt and imperfection comes as a package by accepting God as a context, this we have no choice over.

I hope that sheds some light on the content of this poem.

It is moreover crucial to note, this is not a prayer of forgiveness, nor is it a prayer to refute God's existence, nor a prayer to promote His being.

It is a prayer that is supposed to elucidate the paradox impressed upon anyone who takes upon a great context to measure his soul such as the context of God.

Do let me know if you have any further questions, and feel free to read some of my other works and let me know what you think.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:55 pm
Tay17 says...

This is beautiful , you have my like!

Life’s disappointments are harder to take if you don’t know any swear words.
— Bill Watterson